• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Anyone Successfully Remade a Movie From the 80s?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Flash Gordon could be fun. They need a Nathan Fillion type to play him as a total alpha male chauvinist just completely oblivious to the shocked looks a pro-feminist Dale Arden throws at him (John Cena might be able to pull this off, actually). She initially turns to beta Dr. Zarkov for help but eventually realizes that when the end of the world is at stake, MEN are called for, even if they are a little bit flawed and don't ask for your opinion all the time. I've not read a lot of the old comic serial to know how faithful the movie even was.

Critters is another one. Those shapeshifting bounty hunters were pretty cool (hmmm, seems like this was just done, anyone see it?)

I think this was the 70's but Logan's Run could also be apropos these days given our obsession with youth. Instead of a gem in the hand it would be some other external evaluation and every one is a plastic surgery/botox junky to avoid getting the boot. The back half of that story is a bit vague for me though.

Back to the Future is the one that I have the greatest fear of seeing redone. No f'ing way they don't screw that up.

belmarduk

Would It (1990) count? Not sure a great movie with the obvious exception of Tim Curry. The 2017 film was a lot better.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I feel like there is a difference between different adaptations of source material (like IT, my example of Flash Gordon, Dune, etc) and a remake of a wholly original at the time movie IP like (to the best of my knowledge) Highlander, ET, Ghostbusters, Robocop, etc. There is no source material before the primary film so any modern remake is going to be almost solely using the film as inspiration with maybe some stuff from sequels, comics or a subsequent TV show.

What I really would like to see are remakes of films in a totally different genre. Kinda like how the best music covers are in at least a slightly different genre than the original. Like an action version of "Driving Mrs. Daisy" that is more like "Collateral" :p

Red Dragon & Hair Spray are the only ones that come to mind.

didn't they remake one or more of the Police Story movies?

It wasn't 80s. But Fist of Legend with Jet Li is a great remake of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury (chinese connection) from the 70s

Last edited:

dorkimoe

both in my opinion far better than the originals

dawn-of-the-dead.jpg
That dawn of the dead is so fucking good.

Also +1 for Evil Dead, i really enjoyed that remake

The fright night remake from 2011 wasn't garbage
The best part of Fright Night remake is the cameo by the original vampire. For just a moment I thought they were going to pull a huge twist with Chris Sarandon being the big bad instead of Colin Ferrell... but nope, he just gets killed and the movie continues. Sad.

8bitpill

Yes, the Evil Dead remake,

mia2.gif

Successful. box office wise, not so much.

I've been watching the Evil dead films since I was five. I watched the second film before I watched the first film. My father had the original and wouldn't let me watch it when I was that age due to the rape scene with the tree and woman being a bit more graphic in the original (which he told me years later was the reason he would let me watch it). Even though it's in the second film it's a bit more subtle.

It also had the so called fandom bitching left and right because they thought Hollywood was treading on scared ground and going to fuck it up like they do with their cash grab remakes.

I could go on with this one but not to lose those that actually read this far, just watch it, its good and I hope they jump back into this one.

Keihart

Yes, the Evil Dead remake,

mia2.gif

Successful. box office wise, not so much.

I've been watching the Evil dead films since I was five. I watched the second film before I watched the first film. My father had the original and wouldn't let me watch it when I was that age due to the rape scene with the tree and woman being a bit more graphic in the original (which he told me years later was the reason he would let me watch it). Even though it's in the second film it's a bit more subtle.

It also had the so called fandom bitching left and right because they thought Hollywood was treading on scared ground and going to fuck it up like they do with their cash grab remakes.

I could go on with this one but not to lose those that actually read this far, just watch it, its good and I hope they jump back into this one.
I love the blood rain scene.

Such a cool flip on an iconic moment too, i feel it somehow inherits this scene idea:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not full on remakes rather than reboots but Punisher, Captain America (ok 1990 but it is an 80s movie in spirit), probably some more cheesy as fuck 80s super hero movies that got remade.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Both dawn of dead are fucking good, i saw the remake first but i ended up warming up more to the original later.
i used to love the original Dawn, was a big Romero fan but man he sure as shit in my eyes fucked his legacy up when he went back and made those abominations, Land and that other god awful one, now when i rewatched Dawn & Day i see them for what they are, horribly dated movies.. Dawn maybe not so much as Day.. fuck i cant even get past the soundtrack on Day ffs

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
IT movie was good. I also liked Total Recall, or at least I remember it as a good movie.

Robocop had some very interesting ideas behind the story: the politics about drones outside US, the free will, the technology developed in China (the only movie were China is not a blatant promotion), the need of a human touch in a robot. The problem is the main story is boring and have no proper villain. It's a film with many ideas but without courage.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Obligatory "not a movie but"...

p19242302_b_v13_aa.jpg

I have not seen this, just comparing the girl on the cover who I find more attractive than Ricardo Montalbon

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Tried to check on this list

The only one I can say is better than it’s predecessor is

But solely because Russell Brand is more charming than Dudley Moore. Other than that they are equally as shitty although the original was more successful
Boy, that "pre-production" and "announced" sections just makes my skin crawl.

The Naked Gun, An American Werewolf in London, War Games, Time Bandits, Escape from New York, Highlander, Weird Science....

frustrated the muppets GIF

Last edited:

sol_bad

Boy, that "pre-production" and "announced" sections just makes my skin crawl.

The Naked Gun, An American Werewolf in London, War Games, Time Bandits, Escape from New York, Highlander, Weird Science....

frustrated the muppets GIF

You want it to stop, get you friends and family to support original ideas at the theatre.

Top Bottom