• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anything wowed you yet this generation?

hussar16

Been wavering on this game since it came out. Is it worth a play through just for the spectacle cuz the gameplay looks very mediocre.
It's not worth playing if u like a new experience. Its same old boring ubisoft formula unfortunately but it has its moments

avin

Hearing about a Tropical Storm on the News.
Cutting the broadcast short to boot up Flight Simulator '20.
Using my highschool level geography to hunt down the bitch.
Seeing a bunch of like minded people all doing the same thing.
Actually finding it:

Great post. Live weather is MSFS is the one thing I remember from this gen that made dipping back into gaming worth it. For me the killer moment was early with MSFS, tooling around in a Cessna over my house, when thunder and lightning moved in. I went outside, and the lightning was in the real sky. I was so blown, I couldn't help but look for a little Cessna over my house.

avin

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Maybe a tad with Helldivers 2? Having 4 players, in different locations, on a large map, with that many things going on onscreen feels like it couldn't be done on last gen hardware.

Kerotan

My name is Mayo 3. Truly ground breaking. You won't see a switch port anytime soon. Maybe the Switch 2 or Switcheroo will be able to handle it.

SenkiDala

Last "Wow" was FFVII Remake, not Rebirth, so no games but, the QUICK RESUME feature on the XS consoles wowed me I must admit.

buenoblue

Upgrading to a 65inch QD OLED and a 5.1.4 Atmos setup last year has brought the WOW factor back to my gaming. I've also rearranged my room so I'm sat 6 feet in front of the TV with the speakers all around me 😂

Playing games on this setup is really an experience and everything looks and sounds fantastic

Rebirth, I think I couldn’t have wished for a better Remake.

Currently Dave the Diver, cannot believe how addicting it is, and how many more mechanics unlock over time.

Varteras

Gold Member
e9865c3b6661a2329cffa31fc8493ea46ba4c51a.gifv

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Great post. Live weather is MSFS is the one thing I remember from this gen that made dipping back into gaming worth it. For me the killer moment was early with MSFS, tooling around in a Cessna over my house, when thunder and lightning moved in. I went outside, and the lightning was in the real sky. I was so blown, I couldn't help but look for a little Cessna over my house.

avin
Hahahaha.

Yeah I dont play on Live usually but whenever theres a major storm somewhere or when Im just trying to show off the games live weather system to friends ill go onto live players.

Maybe a tad with Helldivers 2? Having 4 players, in different locations, on a large map, with that many things going on onscreen feels like it couldn't be done on last gen hardware.
I take it you forgot Battlefield had 64 players on the map with absolute chaos going on, LittleBirds being fucker, Jets seemingly forgetting we have objectives, Tanks get raped by Engineers, Destruction and Levelolution™ later on we even got the Behemoths?
Sure the servers were hammered whenever Leveloution™ happened, but it was totally doable lastgen.
Hell Fortnite and CoD Warzone have an impressive amount of things going on at once in a server with more players.
Nothing about Helldivers 2 seems nextgen or even remotely wowish from a technical perspective......i have no doubt it would work on lastgen consoles.

Just look at the spec sheet:
53441218739_8a02aaf469_h.jpg

A Ryzen 1500X.......mate I actually forgot there was a 4 core R5 CPU, thats how low down the stack that thing was.

P.S Its still a great game before people attack me.

Returnal. The game is great all around, but two things made it shine.

First, the enemies and world features were really brought to life with SDF. The whole thing was just this long, hyperreactive particle fiesta which really sold the otherwordly concept.
Second, controller integration, down to the chirp indicating alt-fire availability.

Just this weird, beautiful alien shooter ballet. What a gem.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
not really i'm usually tired and have sh!t to do video games feel like work kinda but it scratches an itch that i gotta scratch hard to explain i like killing monsters and leveling up and finding new weapons/armor. the addition of hunting and gathering and cooking in botw and totk hits natural human instincts/urges too and were a nice addition imo made me want to eat more mushrooms in real life the games have a wide variety of mushrooms you can gather lol

Robb

Gold Member
Zelda: TotK/BotW is probably the biggest one. They gave me the same vibes as Half-Life 2 did back in the day with all the physics based stuff going on.

Teardown is very cool as well. And the destruction in The Finals is also pretty impressive.

Mostly physics stuff I guess. Although I will say that the Matrix demo was very impressive. Still feels like it’ll be quite a while until we get there though..

Top Bottom