• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Pixar lost its "style"?

Jubenhimer

Pixar Animation Studios is among The Walt Disney Company's most famous production studios. It's known for Toy Story, Monster's Inc., The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Finding Nemo, and others. But upon re-watching their older films, I noticed something unique about them that I hadn't thought about before.

Let's look at their first movie, Toy Story for example. The original Toy Story is one of the greatest pieces of cinema in history, one that will always be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. Yet it took me until now to realize why exactly that was. When you watch the film, you notice something about it that's very... unique, not in its animation or anything, but the way the film is written and acted. The premise is very whimsical and child-like, it's a world where, whenever kids are away, their toys come to life and have adventures. Sounds like typical kiddy fare right? Well, in the hands of any other animated movie studio, it would be. But it's how Pixar presents this concept that makes it stand out. Let's look at this scene in particular.

Notice how, despite the concept of children's toys coming to life when no one's looking, everybody in this scene talks like a normal human being. These aren't bouncy cartoon caricatures, the scene doesn't present it as some fantastic, out-of-this-world idea. Rather, it instead treats this premise like a normal everyday normal occurrence. The toys talk and act like real people, they have relatable human issues, and engage in adult level conversations, they talk about things in a rather down-to-earth and grown up manner. It doesn't rub its weird concept in-your-face, it instead uses the concept of talking toys as little more than a back-drop to tell a story about adults, dealing with adult issues, abiet in a family-friendly tone.

And it's not just Toy Story

Monster's Inc. - A film about monsters coming out of children's closets... living in an everyday world where that's their 9 to 5 job.
The Incredibles - A film about superheroes... dealing with a mid-life crisis in a world where superheroes have been outlawed.
Inside Out - A film about a young girl growing up... that takes place primarily in her mind that's presented as a workplace story.

Not all of their films followed that exact style, but many of their best ones do, and even the ones that don't still have elements of that style littered throughout. I think this unique blend of down-to-earth, grown up writing and themes, juxtaposed against whimsical premises and childhood concepts is what gave Pixar their distinct appeal to both kids and adults.

But as we moved into the 2010s, something changed with Pixar... creatively speaking. Slowly their films began loosing that unique writing style more and more. In its place, we got sequels and spin-offs nobody asked for, seemingly made for the sole purpose of selling toys, or B-tier movies that feel like they could've been done by any other animation studio. Sure, Good Dinosaur, Brave, Luca and Turning Red are fine and all, but these don't feel like "Pixar" movies. These feel typical animated kids movies with the Pixar named slapped on to boost ticket sales and streaming views. Year after year, it felt like Pixar was slowly becoming Disney Animation Studios 2. A secondary outlet for movies Disney's main studio didn't want to deal with, so they got Pixar to make them instead.

I feel like Pixar has kind of lost that distinct style that gave them such broad appeal to people of all ages, and instead became... just another animated movie studio. Maybe I'm just crazy though.

Last edited:

wondermega

The big boss got metoo'd a few years ago (not anything approaching Weinstein level, but still unacceptable in the modern world) and kicked out. A lot of the old guard has gone. I have a friend who is high up there and has basically told me stories of the the politics there and the decisions they make, it is as you would expect. Old Pixar is gone, baby, gone.

PSYGN

I think we are seeing this across all mediums since 2010-ish. Technology has infiltrated every aspect of our lives, and this data is being sent back to big companies and sold or "leaked" to other big companies to make high-return risk-averse moves. The unfortunate output of all this is something very formulaic.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The talent just isn't there. Saying that I'll be watching Turning Red ASAP since it has a better visual style that their last few releases.

Dunno about Toy Story being that good a film though. lol.

Pixar is dead. The shambling corpse that still bears its name exists only for name recognition so that Disney can suck the last of the marrow out of its once stellar reputation.
I'd rather be waterboarded than sitting through another 10 minutes of Turning Red.

Last edited:
the pixar of old is long Gone. Its trash these days.

Only thing that survives is its beautiful tech development.

Cant remember the last pixar film that i thought was uniquely superb.

Storytelling began falling off around walle and up. Those movies had excellent first acts tho. Inside out i think was the next after those? And while i liked the concept, overall it was mediocre imo.

Last edited:

sol_bad

My favourite Pixar films are Ratatouille, Wall-e, Up, Toy Story 3, Inside Out, Coco and Soul. That spans their whole lifespan as a company. They have their ups and downs but the important thing is they continually try new ideas. New ideas won't always stick though

I may be in the minority but I don't think the early 2000 movies quite hold up and don't have as much to say as some of the newer films.

Turning Red made me laugh a hell of a lot but it's definitely a mid tier Pixar film. Still better than what any of the other animation studios produce apart from Disney itself and the How to Train Your Dragon films.

trikster40

My favourite Pixar films are Ratatouille, Wall-e, Up, Toy Story 3, Inside Out, Coco and Soul. That spans their whole lifespan as a company. They have their ups and downs but the important thing is they continually try new ideas. New ideas won't always stick though

I may be in the minority but I don't think the early 2000 movies quite hold up and don't have as much to say as some of the newer films.

Turning Red made me laugh a hell of a lot but it's definitely a mid tier Pixar film. Still better than what any of the other animation studios produce apart from Disney itself and the How to Train Your Dragon films.
Yeah Coco was phenomenal, and actually had some pretty dark plot twists. Soul was surprisingly sweet and refreshing. I actually really liked Turning Red too. Overall, had a great story underneath the layers.

Inside out is probably my favorite one of theirs, although nobody EVER brings up A Bugs Life. That one is brilliant.

That being said, Lightyear is going to be the first movie of Pixar’s that I don’t watch. Never interested me, don’t see the point, so unless it comes out and is mind-blowing, it’s a pass for me.

Laieon

Coco is easily one of their best movies and an absolute masterpiece and Soul was really good. I don't think they're as consistent as they used to be, but they're still damn good as their job.

Last edited:
They're fine, and still my favorite studio making kids movies. I don't believe they'll ever make a movie as good as Toy Story again. That film changed animated movies forever.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Luca was great and it was recent.
I thought that was a heartwarming story.

I haven't watched Turning Red, but what I read about it made me not want to, I really don't think it is a movie for kids. It shouldn't have been billed that way. It is a movie for teens or something. I don't want to watch a movie about a girl going through puberty.

Nautilus

Banned
They lost their talent, and didn't "bother" training new talent.

You can see that just looking at their recent releases. While their old content is diverse and varied, both in themes and stories - Toys come to life that values friendship, Robot that wants to love and expresses that without saying a word, monsters that scary children for energy, "classic" original superhero film with funny family drama in it, etc. - all Pixar does now are "novelas". Not only they are all thematically similar, its almost always humans dealing with everyday problems and issues(with the occasional magic sprinkled in it), but its also all narratively similar too. Its always about finding true love, or finding its place in the world. Themes and ideas that have been run into the ground, with nothing trully original holding all together.

Nowadays, the only Pixar movies worth watching are the sequels of old franchises, like Toy Story and the Incredibles.

Dural

The big boss got metoo'd a few years ago (not anything approaching Weinstein level, but still unacceptable in the modern world) and kicked out. A lot of the old guard has gone. I have a friend who is high up there and has basically told me stories of the the politics there and the decisions they make, it is as you would expect. Old Pixar is gone, baby, gone.

Yep, Lasseter being canceled over hugs was fucking ridiculous and goes to show the type of people they have working there right now. Walt Disney Animation has had a sort of renaissance and their output has been great since Tangled. Disney has obviously noticed as well with so many of the Pixar movies going straight to Disney+.

Doom85

finding its place in the world.

Well, I’d agree to disagree with most of what you said, but this feels particularly off as Soul’s message is ultimately about learning to love the life you have and not feeling despair over not finding your calling. It’s the antithesis to the usual “find your place” cliche and honestly a well-needed one as plenty of people do NOT get their dream job and such and the movie tells us that that’s okay and there’s so many wonderful things about life and to not let one missed opportunity cause you to overlook all the other wonderful experiences you’ve had.

Nautilus

Banned
Well, I’d agree to disagree with most of what you said, but this feels particularly off as Soul’s message is ultimately about learning to love the life you have and not feeling despair over not finding your calling. It’s the antithesis to the usual “find your place” cliche and honestly a well-needed one as plenty of people do NOT get their dream job and such and the movie tells us that that’s okay and there’s so many wonderful things about life and to not let one missed opportunity cause you to overlook all the other wonderful experiences you’ve had.
Yeah, you are right. Soul is one of the few movies Pixar put out in these last 10 years that is actually good. But the movie is interesting/good also because of its setting, which is unusual and really well utilized.

Haven't watched Red yet, but Luca, Two Brothers, Coco, and a few others all feel... similar. When I watched them, they were gorgeous, extremely well animated and... boring. It felt like I read/watched that kind of story a thousand times, and I knew any twist or funny/problematic situations the protagonists went through 30 minutes before it happened.They all feel souless by the end.

Honestly, only Inside Out and Soul are worth watching out of all the movies Pixar released in the last 8/9 years that aren't sequels to Toy Story and The Incredibles. And even then, I personally don't think those two films reach anywhere near the heights that Toy Story, Up, Wall-E, The Incredibles, etc did.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I haven't watched Turning Red, but what I read about it made me not want to, I really don't think it is a movie for kids. It shouldn't have been billed that way. It is a movie for teens or something. I don't want to watch a movie about a girl going through puberty.

Nah, it's a kids movie through and through.
Just that some adults are prudes and scared of period talk. Periods are a normal every day thing and the more boys/men understand about them the better, seriously, it shouldn't be so taboo.
Although, nothing is really discussed in that regard, it's just a few jokes regarding periods and pads. Little kids won't understand wtf is going on, tweens will get the jokes and laugh.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Just that some adults are prudes and scared of period talk. Periods are a normal every day thing and the more boys/men understand about them the better, seriously, it shouldn't be so taboo.
Although, nothing is really discussed in that regard, it's just a few jokes regarding periods and pads. Little kids won't understand wtf is going on, tweens will get the jokes and laugh.
I'm not scared of it, I am just not interested in it.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'd kinda soured on Pixar over the past decade, when their output wasn't as consistently high quality as before, but Soul and Luca were a total revelation. Those two might be my favorite Pixar movies. Turning Red had me a bit mixed, some of the animation just seemed lazy (those awful facial expressions), but I thought it did a great job with stylizing its environments, and I liked seeing a digital camera lens that wasn't trying to mimic a real lens--not that I don't want to see Pixar use anamorphic lenses again. It's just nice to know they're not restricting themselves to mimicking real movie lenses. Soul's anamorphic visual is beautiful.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Pixar is dead. The shambling corpse that still bears its name exists only for name recognition so that Disney can suck the last of the marrow out of its once stellar reputation.
I'd rather be waterboarded than sitting through another 10 minutes of Turning Red.

This. Anyone with an ounce of creative freedom, of basic knowledge about animation, story telling, writing, and pacing has long since departed Pixar. Its a fucking shame.

Don‘t be a disingenuous tosspot. Nobody is “frightened“ of period talk. Its just poorly done in this shite film like the vast majority of the „jokes“ are.

sol_bad

This. Anyone with an ounce of creative freedom, of basic knowledge about animation, story telling, writing, and pacing has long since departed Pixar. Its a fucking shame.

Don‘t be a disingenuous tosspot. Nobody is “frightened“ of period talk. Its just poorly done in this shite film like the vast majority of the „jokes“ are.

The humor just didn't work for you, it's not poorly done at all.

toy story 4 was probably the best movie they have made, but turning red is definitely a C tier product.
Toy Story 4 made no sense whatsoever and it's actually a part of the problem.

One of the toys deciding to leave the new kid he's supposed to be played with...to spend his "life" with another toy? That literally destroys the entire premise of the series.

As i was just reading:
Woody believed for a long time that his purpose in life was to be played with by a child. He also believed other toys had the same responsibility: to be a plaything for a kid.

However, as mentioned, in Toy Story 4, Woody decides that he wants to live his own life with Bo Peep. Feelings can change, yes, but the large shift does feel slightly out-of-character for a franchise that has spent so long building up a toy's purpose.
Toy Story 4 makes no sense and i always pretend this was a trilogy.
In fact, Pixar's last great movie before turning into a typical Disney studio was Toy Story 3, not 4.

Trunx81

Finding Nemo still is, at least for me, the pinnacle of Pixar movies. So many quotable lines.

Coco and Luca were great, but I couldn’t even make it through Soul and Turning Red is so much a on the nose girls movie about having your first bloodshed, it’s not even funny anymore (especially as a dad of a 6 years old girl who adores the movie, but has no idea what it really is about).

My god, do you always have to sound like an advertising bot? Everybody knows that periods are normal, so spare us your 5th grader morality fortune cookie marketing talk.
Turning Red is bad because of its insufferable characters, the reliance on current pop-trends that will age like fine milk, the propping up of consumer mentality and the unconditional glorification of boyband/k-pop personality cult.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
My god, do you always have to sound like an advertising bot? Everybody knows that periods are normal, so spare us your 5th grader morality fortune cookie marketing talk.
Turning Red is bad because of its insufferable characters, the reliance on current pop-trends that will age like fine milk, the propping up of consumer mentality and the unconditional glorification of boyband/k-pop personality cult.

The film was supposed to be set in the year 2002? Or somewhere in the early 2000s hence why I didn‘t mind the boyband thing as that was still big in that day. What is inexcusable is the ADHD quality of the animation, the piss poor characterization that completely failed to understand how kids spoke or reacted during that time frame (no one fucking said „bae“ and „OMG“ back then as teens) and the character designs themselves are not indicative of the era.

The entire film is a fucking mess and is indicative of how far removed these writers are from reality. It isn‘t even hard to look back and get basic lingo correct for something set so recently.

The film was supposed to be set in the year 2002? Or somewhere in the early 2000s hence why I didn‘t mind the boyband thing as that was still big in that day.

What, it's supposed to be set in the early 00s? Well, it certainly didn't feel like it.
Also, instead of using music from back then, they used a popular Korean boyband called "Da-iCE" for their OST. So they are clearly emphasizing on the current k-pop trend.

I would be fine with it, but the way how they uncritically glorify celebrity veneration really rubbed me the wrong way. These poor girls are asked 800 frikin' dollars to go see that crappy concert... are those even turn of the millennium prices? :messenger_winking:

What is inexcusable is the ADHD quality of the animation, the piss poor characterization that completely failed to understand how kids spoke or reacted during that time frame (no one fucking said „bae“ and „OMG“ back then as teens) and the character designs themselves are not indicative of the era.The entire film is a fucking mess and is indicative of how far removed these writers are from reality. It isn‘t even hard to look back and get basic lingo correct for something set so recently.

True. Bringing your kids to a Pixar movie usually made them smarter (adults included), nowadays it looks more like they are becoming dumber for watching that crap.

Doom85

I prefer to just watch real man films like Rambo and Terminator over and over.

neil degrasse tyson we got a badass over here GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What, it's supposed to be set in the early 00s? Well, it certainly didn't feel like it.
Also, instead of using music from back then, they used a popular Korean boyband called "Da-iCE" for their OST. So they are clearly emphasizing on the current k-pop trend.

I would be fine with it, but the way how they uncritically glorify celebrity veneration really rubbed me the wrong way. These poor girls are asked 800 frikin' dollars to go see that crappy concert... are those even turn of the millennium prices? :messenger_winking:

True. Bringing your kids to a Pixar movie usually made them smarter (adults included), nowadays it looks more like they are becoming dumber for watching that crap.

Definitely feels like I lost a few brain cells watching it. Honestly with as much great films and shows available, there really is never a reason to let children watch modern films/shows. So much trash that is utterly worthless.

sol_bad

I saw this video earlier today and he actually said what I said earlier in this thread. That Turning Red is a new and fresh idea for Pixar, but not every new and fresh idea is going to stick it's landing 100%.

Azurro

Banned

But that's sol_bad sol_bad 's whole schtick, if he's not a shill for a corporation, he has no personality. :)

I haven't watched much Pixar movies for quite a few years already, they normally look uninteresting.

Billbofet

Turning Red starts strong, and as a parent of a teenaged girl, I appreciated the subject matter. Once the character intros are done, it becomes standard animated noise and boredom. Absolutely forgettable.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

It's about puberty but isn't raunchy or too much for kids to understand. I mean, the toons we watched as kids and teens (animaniacs, Looney Tunes, etc) had FAR MORE adult jokes and situations than any Pixar movie. Turning Red was really good... Yes, it's about a girl becoming a teen but it's stuff many teens (yes, straight boys too) go through. 5 yr olds won't get some things but the physical comedy is top notch and they'll laugh. It really is a great movie.

Top Bottom