• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has ResetEra Taken Over Reddit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN1X

Banned
So I'm browsing Reddit and there's a thread in askReddit about modern trends in society that you really don't like. I mention that I don't like the trend of people using preferred pronouns (he/him, she/her, they/them, etc...). Then I go to bed and wake up in the morning and see:

"Rule Violation: Warning for Promoting Hate

We’ve been alerted that you’ve violated Reddit’s rule against promoting hate in the following content. Reddit is a place for creating community and belonging, not for attacking marginalized or vulnerable groups of people. We don’t tolerate promoting hate based on identity or vulnerability, and any communities or people that encourage or incite violence or hate towards marginalized or vulnerable groups will be banned. If you’re reported for any further violations of Reddit’s Content Policy, additional actions including banning may be taken against your account(s)."

I'm like... answering the question in the thread means that I'm promoting hate and my account could be banned? What?!
I feel like things are getting weird both online and in society these days. Does anyone else feel like this is getting out of hand lately?
Oh my sweet summer child.

In all seriousness though: The majority of Reddit is astroturfed nonsense by corporations and governments (read: their intelligence agencies) lol. Half the time you might be interacting with a literal bot. It's been getting progressively worse long before ResetEra rolled around and is showing no signs of stopping. Then there's the whole admin and mod issue and yeah... place is a shithole.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

I really don't get why people care so much about the pronoun thing. It's just a "whatever I think that's weird but I'll go with it because it doesn't really effect me" thing for me.

It IS the norm at this point. Try having that attitude in corporate America for instance and you are likely to get yourself fired. It's not that purple site's doing.

You won't actually run into it that much IRL anyways... lol
I kinda agree. If someone asks me to call them something specific that's not derogatory to me or to them, I would just call them whatever they want. If what they want is to be addressed as "them/they", then so be it, I don't care. What I think is stupid is the agressive reaction, that goes on both sides of the extremes, for complying or not.

Aesius

There's a subreddit for the country I live in (UAE) and I'm constantly seeing all kinds of woke nonsense on there but I've never encountered it in real life since living here.

So my theory is that either these people are fake/bots or they spend all their time on social media and never venture outside to interact with real people.
My hometown is somewhat ruralish and VERY conservative. It goes like 95% Republican during presidential elections. And yet the city sub for it is overwhelmingly liberal.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
There was a thread on resetera about some 13 year old black kids beating an elderly black man to death with a traffic cone while laughing and smiling.

I called them animals. I got banned for 3 months for racism.

Lol. I'm done with that fucking site.

Gonna send them a message to delete my account off of there.

You're better off without that place.

I can't remember why I got banned? I think it was because a few people were saying that all English people are racist and xenophobic fascists. I jumped in and called them xenophobic for generalising English people. Apparently, you can't be xenophobic against English people and I was hit with a temp ban for causing grief or some other nonsense reason. I made the ban permanent.

Truth is, all sites have their limits. There isn't a site that I know of that allows users to discuss anything and everything without breaking some kind of rules. Even GAF has its limits. We used to be able to discuss politics on here and had a dedicated political forum, but thanks to some childish twats not only was the political forum nuked, but all political discussions are now banned. Real shame because politics are one of my key interests and some of there were some good, healthy, grown-up political debates in the GAF political forum.

Mods - I'm not complaining or asking for politics to be brought back. I understand why it's been removed.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I kinda agree. If someone asks me to call them something specific that's not derogatory to me or to them, I would just call them whatever they want. If what they want is to be addressed as "them/they", then so be it, I don't care. What I think is stupid is the agressive reaction, that goes on both sides of the extremes, for complying or not.
For sure, agreed.

For the most part though outside of internet spaces this just isn't a big isssue.

My fast growing organization announces all new hires and asks for preferred pronouns and has for like 2 years.. in super progressive Seattle.. and of the hundreds of people we've hired I haven't seen a single person who was anything but classic gender "norms."

Rbk_3

r/Entertinment was proactively banning people that posted in "the facsist sub r/JoeRogan" ......

PMyL0NC.jpg

Woggleman

I really wish leftists understood that this whole thought policing thing is why they are losing the real and important battles. When you try and browbeat people into towing the line and agreeing with you by force then you should expect a backlash. I truly do believe that if they tried to win hearts and minds instead of this conform or be canceled approach things would be much different.

r/Entertinment was proactively banning people that posted in "the facsist sub r/JoeRogan" ......

PMyL0NC.jpg
Words/terms like "fascist," "Nazi," "homophobe," and "white supremacist" used to mean something. They were labels used to describe people that followed/practiced genuinely hateful ideas that have no place in society.

Those terms have all been watered down so much that they don't mean anything anymore.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

PMyL0NC.jpg
Don't know if that's you, but if it is, it's you the one that won this one! Any sub that ban people just because they're subscribed or posted in another one, without a very good reason, is not worth at all participating, or even reading to be honest. And calling a sub for Joe Rogan a fascist sub is of utmost ignorance.

Reallink

I really wish leftists understood that this whole thought policing thing is why they are losing the real and important battles. When you try and browbeat people into towing the line and agreeing with you by force then you should expect a backlash. I truly do believe that if they tried to win hearts and minds instead of this conform or be canceled approach things would be much different.

Lot of you guys need a reality check. These kind of threads are always littered with claims that the militant activism "doesn’t work" or "doesn't represent real life", then proceeds to label every corporation, media, and social platform in existence as a vocal minority, while in the same breath lamenting the vast swathes of leftist family members and romantic interests you argue with. At some point you guys are gonna have to come to terms with the fact that you're the radical "alt" minority.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Lot of you guys need a reality check. These kind of threads are always littered with claims that the militant activism "doesn’t work" or "doesn't represent real life", then proceeds to label every corporation, media, and social media platform in existence as a vocal minority, while in the same breath lamenting the vast swathes of leftist family members and romantic interests you argue with. At some point you guys are gonna have to come to terms with the fact that you're the radical "alt" minority.
Radicals in general are the minority. Most people just want to live their lives instead of fighting this us vs them war that both sides seem intent on fighting.

Pejo

The thing that made this obvious to me was like 4-5 years ago when the mods of /r/games disallowed April Fools Day threads for trans awareness or something of that nature, then started banning people that were complaining that April Fools Day in gaming was always a fun shitshow and only happened once a year.

Then you look at subs like /r/science that completely got taken over by these political leaning "studies" that show biased stuff like "Trump supporters are more likely to kill your grandma at night in the back room of the 7/11 at the corner of 7th and Main than Biden supporters"

It's mostly only good for smaller communities that don't have any of those "supermods" moderating them.

I was really surprised how deep the "Supermod" rabbit hole goes, which was brought to light when that /r/antiwork thing blew up a year or so ago, and it showed that one no-life loser with extreme views was moderating like 100-200 subreddits and steering the narrative the way they wanted via bans and topic/comment deletions.

That's what you get when you have no barrier for entry for unlimited alt accounts and nobody watching the mods. And Reddit ain't gonna start paying for that.

Kacho

Gold Member
Depends on the Reddit sub honestly. But for the most part it's Era lite.

Most places could be considered ResetEra lite these days. I believe it's due to the zeitgeist we're currently living in. Don't underestimate the power of groupthink. There are a lot of useful idiots out there that will adopt whatever the popular opinion is and parrot it just to fit in.

Last edited:
Most Reddit communities have ideological moderation, just like pre-2017 gaf and resetera. This is how leftist communities remain "pure".

Are they? They control the media, entertainment, and government in many countries.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Just set up your subreddits with topics you're interested in. Mods on smaller subs tend to be people who are invested in the topic and not the power trip. The bigger ones like politics, news, and like the one posted above, entertainment are all run by the same group of mods and they are unabashedly extreme left wingers who even have outright stated that they have an agenda on how to steer the groupthink of the subs they oversee.

Edit: I may be mistaken about them outright stating it. I think it may have been a discord screenshot or something? It was when all the antiwork fun happened and new subs popped up.

Last edited:
Reddit hasn't been decent since like the Fappening.

I do add reddit to a lot of google queries when I'm figuring out a tech problem though. The concept still sort of works so long as what you're looking for isn't tribal in nature. Also, if you don't put "reddit" into your google queries 70% of your results will be some AI generated spaghetti text or a YouTube video with 4 views and a guy with a think Indian accent.

No, just the same groups of people have taken over social media.
Just be a proud homo- and transphobe. It's not something remotely bad anymore.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What happened was that the fat, autistic nerds who were bullied in school suddenly saw the universe momentarily turn into a position where they have some power and are listened to.

Terrified of slipping back to irrelevance or bullying, they are quickly consolidating their power and using their newfound power to attempt to make fat desirable, blue undercuts a sign of social status, and most importantly, white, fit people a bad thing.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
Seriously get off reddit. Last year, I was in the comments discussing the WHO (World Health Organization) and their relations to China. I linked a video of the interview of a WHO representative avoiding a question about Taiwan (it's now a popular interview). It got upvoted quick and then someone responded "Get this trash off of here. Say goodbye to your upvotes." In an hour, I went from +200 upvotes to -4.

Everything on there is controlled.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

It’s not Reddit per se but the owners and mods of the sub reddits you join. Like for example I’m politically homeless so if I say something a conservative mod finds offensive I’ll get banned on that sub and if I say something a wokester finds offensive I’ve gotten banned on that sub. Some mods are extreme like I recall one instance where I was on a liberal sub said something like “I live in Santa Klara Kounty Kalifornia” implying it’s communist here and they gave me a warning and accused me of using a KKK dog whistle and then they looked through my post history elsewhere and used that to ban me for being conservative. The irony is Im very socially liberal from drugs to LGBTQ + issues, am pro choice, hate Trump and social conservatives but I do agree with SOME conservative economic policies and that democrats in California are certifiably insane.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
On one hand, reddit is crap. For a moltitude of reason.

On the other hand, it's often very useful and a flexible and easy platform.

anthony2690

Banned
Wonder if I can identify as a debt free man.

got to try think off a positive outcome to the crazies

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Those places, similar to twitter and facebook, are generally the place for insecure outcasts. You will never hear or see these creatures in real life, because in reality nobody cares. People just want to live their lifes and get over with, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Catphish

It IS the norm at this point.
Mate, that pronoun shit will never be the norm. Most people will not play that silly game, no matter how many twits are posted and how much corporate sensitivity training we're forced to attend. It's an affront to common fucking sense, and the vast majority of humankind sees that. The fringe will have its moment in the sun and, one fine day, will fade into obscurity.

Hopefully.

But if, by some unfortunate chance, it does become the norm? Well, I guess I can take some solace in knowing I'm in the final third of my life, because this place is proper fucked.

Catphish

There was a thread on resetera about some 13 year old black kids beating an elderly black man to death with a traffic cone while laughing and smiling.

I called them animals. I got banned for 3 months for racism.

Lol. I'm done with that fucking site.

Gonna send them a message to delete my account off of there.
I read that story. Saw the footage, too.

The kids that did that to that old man are fucking animals. And it would be the same no matter what race they are. Evil little fucking animals with no value for human life.

That you would be banned at retardera for saying this really just galvanizes in me what I already believed: That place is nofuckingwhere I wanna be.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Mate, that pronoun shit will never be the norm. Most people will not play that silly game, no matter how many twits are posted and how much corporate sensitivity training we're forced to attend. It's an affront to common fucking sense, and the vast majority of humankind sees that. The fringe will have its moment in the sun and, one fine day, will fade into obscurity.

I just think we have a different definition of norms. If I'm expected to "respect pronouns" at most workplaces, with specific training or guidance on that issue, I consider that a norm. Or consider it something that has reached "norm" status.

Last edited:

Catphish

I just think we have a different definition of norms. If I'm expected to "respect pronouns" at most workplaces, with specific training or guidance on that issue, I consider that a norm. Or consider it something that has reached "norm" status.
Norms at the workplace are just that. Workplace norms. Don't expect them to continue in the real world at scale.

thegame983

I think the problem there is that it's forced upon you. Respect pronouns/ be woke/ whatever or we will cease to pay you and you won't be able to afford rent.

Respect by gunpoint. (however I will say ANYTHING for €100k a year)

Last edited:

thefool

It's reddit, what did you expect.
These individuals lives revolves around being online trying to control content (which they will falsely claim its moderation) and reddit is the perfect place for it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think the problem there is that it's forced upon you. Respect pronouns/ be woke/ whatever or we will cease to pay you and you won't be able to afford rent.

I wouldn’t even say the issue is that it is “forced” on you. I find the issue is twofold:
1.) The Trainers/Training treat you like you are the problem. *You* need to do better. *You* are a problem if you don’t watch what you say at all times.
2.) The people who often get “triggered” by wrong pronoun use (I.E. people who get visibly and irrationally upset instead of simply saying “hey, could you please refer to my by [pronouns] Instead?” In a private conversation) are fucking insufferable shitheels who need mental help.

IntentionalPun

I mean it's only a problem if you give a shit enough.

Make dat money.

I'm not trying to attack people here for caring.. I'm here to help my NeoGAF brevs stay employed and happy.. don't be all negative like those pronoun nazis just chill :goog_cool:

Last edited:

Woggleman

There are a lot of cults out there on both sides of the isle these days, unfortunately.
Very true. People have lost all sense. I am a person that deals in facts no matter what side of the aisle those facts might land but it seems people like me are an endangered species.

IntentionalPun

Norms at the workplace are just that. Workplace norms. Don't expect them to continue in the real world at scale.

*shrug*

In my life it is the "norm" outside of work as well.. it's just that, it's mostly a non-issue. My friends don't complain about this shit or tell attack hellicopter jokes or anything, if they discuss a trans celeb they'll use their "new" pronouns w/o batting an eye, etc. Also never had anyone correct my pronoun usage in public, at work, or anywhere.

It's just a non-issue because the reality is most people use he/her. For me the "norm" is to not care, and to just be polite about it and use whatever pronouns people want and not get angry about something so minor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom