• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony shared any sales data from Demon's Souls (PS5, 2020)?

elliot5

I'm sure it sold within their expectations for launch. I think what mattered more to Sony was that it was a 90+ MC game and a slam dunk launch title showcasing the PS5s capabilities. Something for people to get hype over even if they don't play it.

I know my friends at BluePoint got a fat Christmas bonus presumably from the MC score reached, as that's usually a bonus payout written in a contract somewhere with the big publishers.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I'm sure it sold within their expectations for launch. I think what mattered more to Sony was that it was a 90+ MC game and a slam dunk launch title showcasing the PS5s capabilities. Something for people to get hype over even if they don't play it.

I know my friends at BluePoint got a fat Christmas bonus presumably from the MC score reached, as that's usually a bonus payout written in a contract somewhere with the big publishers.
The point of high scores is to bolster sales. Demon's sitting on metacritic with a high score with presumably tepid sales was never Sony's endgame.

I think they were obviously trying to recreate that Bloodborne magic on the PS4 and fell short of the mark.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
The point of high scores is to bolster sales. Demon's sitting on metacritic with a high score with presumably tepid sales was never Sony's endgame.

I think they were obviously trying to recreate that Bloodborne magic on the PS4 and fell short of the mark.
The scalpers they're so pleased with might have come back to bite them.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I doubt Sony was expecting all of their launch titles to sell in the multi-millions on PS5 by this point. The Miles Morales number is probably across PS4 and PS5. Ratchet and Clank is way more mainstream so an 11% attach rate makes sense for it, Even if it only sold 800K so far that's still a respectable 8% attach rate and $50+ million in revenue, unless there was a serious sale at some point. I'd be surprised if it cost $50 million to remaster. The game will continue to sell as people are able to get their hands on hardware.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I have the feeling you have no idea what you’re taking about. They poured money into that game as much as they could and saved no expenses. Shit, it would be cheaper to keep the original soundtrack than to recompose it for a 100 player orchestra:

Live orchestra's are very expensive. Sony definitely pulled out all the stops here.

Last edited:

kyoji

The Granddaddy of souls games! its a gem! And i cant wait for the next playstation/fromsoft colab. As far as demon souls #s go im sure those will come with the announce of bluepoint acquisition, regardless of rather it sold 1 or 1billion its legacy is cemented, and i know alot of still would be ps5 owners will pick it up soon as they can grab the console.

Marty-McFly

Banned
The Granddaddy of souls games! its a gem! And i cant wait for the next playstation/fromsoft colab. As far as demon souls #s go im sure those will come with the announce of bluepoint acquisition, regardless of rather it sold 1 or 1billion its legacy is cemented, and i know alot of still would be ps5 owners will pick it up soon as they can grab the console.
Don't forget, Sony originally published Demon Souls on PS3, unlike the rest of the Souls games, so a remake was always in their back pocket.

Though, I have a feeling we've heard the last of the From and Sony collaboration for a while unfortunately, like with Kojima. A different situation here though. It's probably very costly to get an exclusive from From (like they did with Bloodborne last gen) because their games have become so popular. The multiplat route they are going with Elden Ring with that games budget looks like From at the height of their powers.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm guessing sales are low for all of these "soulsborne" games. But since none of them seem to require much of a budget to produce low sales are probably perfectly fine. I mean, if they weren't turning a profit companies wouldn't keep making them.

As popular as they appear to be on enthusiast sites and Twitch, I have never met a single actual person - again outside of enthusiast sites or Twitch - that actually enjoys this fashion of game.

hlm666

I'm guessing sales are low for all of these "soulsborne" games. But since none of them seem to require much of a budget to produce low sales are probably perfectly fine. I mean, if they weren't turning a profit companies wouldn't keep making them.

As popular as they appear to be on enthusiast sites and Twitch, I have never met a single actual person - again outside of enthusiast sites or Twitch - that actually enjoys this fashion of game.
Low sales, you for real?

kyoji

Don't forget, Sony originally published Demon Souls on PS3, unlike the rest of the Souls games, so a remake was always in their back pocket.

Though, I have a feeling we've heard the last of the From and Sony collaboration for a while unfortunately, like with Kojima. A different situation here though. It's probably very costly to get an exclusive from From (like they did with Bloodborne last gen) because their games have become so popular. The multiplat route they are going with Elden Ring with that games budget looks like From at the height of their powers.
you dont know much about the history of playstation and from soft do you? start at ps one if you arent sure, theres no reason for the streak to end with ps5, same goes for kojima.

im sure you will light up with excitement when these projects get announced :messenger_winking:

Marty-McFly

Banned
you dont know much about the history of playstation and from soft do you? start at ps one if you arent sure, theres no reason for the streak to end with ps5, same goes for kojima.

im sure you will light up with excitement when these projects get announced :messenger_winking:
From was small time in those days. Things have changed so history is irrelevant here. Their games sell millions of copies multiplat now and they haven't made a Playstation exclusive since 2015.

So if MLB The Show sold 2 million copies but "reached" over 4 million players then does that mean at least half the audience was through Gamepass?
You know more than one PSN account can get accessed to a single copy of a game, right? Like, for example, multiple users on the same PS4/PS5 in a household, different PSN accounts sharing a digital game. Then take into account rentals and the second hand market. All of those represent more players playing than the number of copies sold.

Ryu Kaiba

Regardless of how well it did or didn't sell, Demon's Souls is definitely the worst Souls game and was only "surprisingly decent" in comparison to the "HD is hard" trash coming out of Japan at the time. I have no idea how or why they chose it for a AAA remake, its fanbase has always been super niche and it was never a 10 out of 10 or greatest game of all time to anyone. The game's on a similar tier to Folklore. It's like someone meme'd it into existence by constantly tweeting Shuhei with an army of bots or something.

I made the thread on this before it happened. LMAO :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony very rarely shares sales of their games. In their latest press release mentioned the sales of some of their recent games, but not all. They didn't share sales of Demont's Souls, Sackboy or Destruction All Stars. This doesn't mean they sales are bad, Sony didn't release sales of many very successful games, or waited for years before sharing them.

First, Sony not releasing sales of a game doesn't mean it had bad sales since traditionally they don't provide sales numbers for most of their games even if very successful. Second, it's just a remake and launch game so sales aren't that important and will come over time.

Sony signed a deal with From Software's parent company where Sony will help the games and anime of that company to reach a more global market, because until now Kadokawa has been too focuse on Japan only. Kadokawa gave 2% of its company to Sony as an exchange for that. It means more anime content for Sony's animation streaming services and to help publishing and marketing their games, and basically also means Sony has Kadokawa grabbed by the balls since the main focus for Kadokawa is to expand worldwide thanks to Sony.

And the first think Sony will ask Kadokawa in terms of games is From Software exclusive games, since it's the most valuable thing Kadokawa has in terms of gaming and the main reason for Sony to accept this deal. So yes, Sony will make more games with From Software and very likely soulsborne games. If not announced may be because From must be busy with Elder Ring as of now, so may work on it after it.

True. I think Sony still hasn't shared TLOU 2 sales, which would be very close to 10 million by now.

Reallink

Their worst case expectation was probably 1 million within the first month, it was the sole first party PS5 exclusive showpiece with a captive audience of their hardest core customers and a very sizable production budget. If it hasn't even hit 1 million after nearly a year they absolutely consider it an abject and catastrophic failure, but it seems very hard to believe it hasn't crossed a million. That said, it's omission from this financial report is suspect AF, and it would go a long way in explaining their about-face on "We believe in generations" and their seeming 11th hour decision to continue everything on PS4.

Last edited:

I made the thread on this before it happened. LMAO :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Someone needs to say it, that thread sucks

Tomeru

For me, it wasn't an exciting purchase like Bloodborne, it's just same old. I think it was a miscalculation by Sony to do a remake instead of appoint From to make a new game like Bloodborne was for PS4, but the option was probably not available to them and costly because From has become big, big and want to bring in a mutliplat blockbuster like Elden Ring.

I'm not confident Demon's did as well in sales as even Returnal.

Souls is suffering from a little franchise fatigue to me so I didn't find Demon Souls with better graphics very compelling. Elden Ring is looking to be the much more robust evolved Souls experience so I'm glad we have that as gamers.

Appoint.

Lol.

Orta

Banned
I saw a figure a few months back of about 600k, probably a few more since then. Its a niche title, one that in no way was ever going to be a system seller and I'd assume lots of copies have been returned by those unaware of its challenge.

Self proclaimed gaming Gods of course make it out to be the greatest game ever and won't have a word said against it.

EDMIX

In their latest PR, they shared sales data on the following games, I'm looking but can't find anything on Demon's Souls.

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales from Insomniac Games has sold more than 6.5 million copies* since releasing on November 12, 2020

This is all the info I can find on Demon's (2020) and it doesn't sound very impressive. Could this be the reason for Sony Japan studio's unfortunate close down considering they took the reigns with Bluepoint on the remake? (Sony has rid of quite a few of their development teams who's games have failed in sales historically)?

I think this most important thing about Demon's Souls sales is they can determine if Sony will ever fork down cash on another exclusive Souls game again? I'm glad Demon's Souls exists on PS5 but wonder if it's the last of its kind (btw I'm surprised we have seen Bloodborne 2 considering its sales were decent)

Its odd to think that would be in question if you ironcially consider Demon Souls remake exist.....after Bloodborne. So yea, sales were decent for Sony, thus they wanted a remake of Demon Souls.

I think the reason why you are seeing them not saying much about Demon Souls remake sales is they wish to say so during the announcement of Bluepoint being acquired. I would also not be surprised at not seeing a Bloodborne 2, yet a Demon Souls remake, Bluepoint is free to make a Demon Souls remake, From Soft is not free to make a Bloodborne 2 as they are already working on Elden Ring and before that was busy with Sekiro and before that busy with Dark Souls III.

Based on how busy they are, it makes sense. So maybe Bloodborne 2 or a new IP Sony owned From Soft game is in the works already and the team plans to focus on it after Elden Ring, who knows.

"Sony is quick to close down studio's when games don't meet expectations as we've seen in the past, much less fund more games from the same franchise."

True, but in this situation, it doesn't really make sense.

Demon Souls remake exist after Bloodborne, Demon Souls OG came out before Bloodborne, as in...Sony might be ok with the sales of those titles if they clearly kept doing them......

I don't see anything that suggest it has not met some expectation for Sony if clearly they are still doing those titles.

Last edited:

yurinka

according to gamestates people predicted Returnal sold 600k+ and it's close, and they predict 1.4 mil for Demon's Souls so i'd say 1 - 1.1 mil

and at 70$ that people bitch about so i'd say it did good
What is gamestates?

Btw, Sony said Returnal sold 560K+. So following that pattern if they predict 1.4M should be around 1.3M.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
They'll announce the sales numbers after the ps4 port has been out for a while.
A PS4 port of this game would be more expensive than average. For starters, it is based on a system of world cells that were made particularly small to take advantage of the SSD and allow for much more detail in each of them, with the trade off that they must be swapped in and out of RAM much more frequently and faster. That would simply not work on a PS4 at all due to the massive difference in data transfer speed from drive to RAM, so Bluepoint would have to re-map and test the loading of the entire world structure, in conjunction with creating lower polygon models for a lot of stuff (player characters with all the armour sets, enemies etc.) that are not necessarely that straightforward to cull down.

In other words, this would not be a "lower the graphics sliders from high to low" port, it would take time, effort and money, and I'm fairly certain both Sony and Bluepoint think they can be put to better use elsewhere.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Examples please. It most certainly didn't lol.

With so many "Souls Like" games coming out over the years, it most likely impacted the industry.

Stuff like The Surge or Death's Door or Titan SOULS clearly got influenced by Demon Souls, that was the start of the whole "Souls Like" era. We have revolutions that come along all the time in gaming from Co-op, QTE, motion, music peripherals etc, the Souls stuff is very much in that revolution area as its influence is wide to the point of developers out right staying its based on that series that they are making their own game...

Last edited:

EDMIX

Tbf, the sales were kinda carried by PC. PC gamers love these games. This is also the reason why I think we won't ever see another console exclusive from From Software.

Agreed. The only sales that should be looked at to see how Sony feels about this should be Demon Souls OG and Bloodborne.

I doubt Sony is looking at sales of multiplatform games and trying to compare it to a game on 1 system THAT JUST RELEASED, I'm sure Sony fucking knows they have less PS5's then PS4s, thus would not look to Dark Souls 3 as some measurement so I have no clue why folks are trying to even use those as examples of what Sony is expecting or something.

Agreed. The only sales that should be looked at to see how Sony feels about this should be Demon Souls OG and Bloodborne.

I doubt Sony is looking at sales of multiplatform games and trying to compare it to a game on 1 system THAT JUST RELEASED, I'm sure Sony fucking knows they have less PS5's then PS4s, thus would not look to Dark Souls 3 as some measurement so I have no clue why folks are trying to even use those as examples of what Sony is expecting or something.
Yeah, they should be comparing it to Bloodborne. Very long term I can see Demon's Souls hit 3m sold copies (after deep sales and everything).

Ryu Kaiba

You have games like Elden Ring coming out and Sony buys exclusivity for Death Loop instead :messenger_tears_of_joy:

...Not that I would want Elden ring exclusive. Im getting that on PC.

bender

What time is it?
Regardless of how well it did or didn't sell, Demon's Souls is definitely the worst Souls game and was only "surprisingly decent" in comparison to the "HD is hard" trash coming out of Japan at the time. I have no idea how or why they chose it for a AAA remake, its fanbase has always been super niche and it was never a 10 out of 10 or greatest game of all time to anyone. The game's on a similar tier to Folklore. It's like someone meme'd it into existence by constantly tweeting Shuhei with an army of bots or something.

It's better than your favorite Souls game you tasteless sack of meat. Also:

giphy.gif

yurinka

Nah theyve been right a good few times. Id like some more proof to when they were wrong recently. Even late in the PS3 cycle they were right alot.
According to their landpage PS4 sold 115.83M as of now.
Sony said that as of March 31, 2021 they shipped 115.9 million.

With Switch instead they say it sold 88.84M as of now.
Nintendo said that as of March 31 they shipped 84.59 million.

Since they started traditionally have been short in their predictions for Sony, while too optimistic for other ones. Them being accurate with Sony like with the 10M is something super rare. Shipped units get sold after a few days, and way faster now Sony had production issues due to ship shortages since a year ago or so.

Top Bottom