• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have bad Pc ports hurt the games more than just on the Pc?

Spyxos

To this day, Batmany Arkham Knight counts as one of the games that are very bad. The only problem is that most people haven't played it at all and have only heard the bad press about it and written it off immediately. Yes, the PC performance was extremely bad in the beginning. However, it ran well on the consoles.

I'm not really a Batman fan, but this game is one of my top favorites. I think the bad reputation has harmed the game much more than the game deserves. And it hurt the game not only on the Pc but also on the consoles.

c023d8638f748d21ff44539e7d18f4de.jpg
1126392-video-games-Batman-Arkham-Knight-Batman-Gotham-City-screenshot-mecha-computer-wallpaper-pc-game.jpg

_83854187_bak_sshot057jpg.jpg
f34e71e974de3b95f52b681950e9f1cb.jpg

Last edited:

Spyxos

Fair enough it was the dark ages, but did it run lower than that on PC?
Less than 30 fps? No if I remember correctly. But it was almost impossible to have stable 60fps and the fps jumps were extreme. It also had a lot of Nvidia Physix effects that were pretty but put a lot of strain on hardware.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

For sure the bad press stuck to it

But now reviews on Steam for it are extremely positive, so it was salvaged

I played it last year and I was super impressed. Game aged superbly graphic wise, looks even better than the recent Gotham Knights.

The smoke effects, omg /chefkiss

Wildebeest

Surely everyone decent thinks that PC gamers are just rubes who are there to shake down for extra money, and they should be lucky to get game code in any state?

Fredrik

Less than 30 fps? No if I remember correctly. But it was almost impossible to have stable 60fps and the fps jumps were extreme. It also had a lot of Nvidia Physix effects that were pretty but put a lot of strain on hardware.
You could probably lock the PC version down to 30fps too if you wanted that console stability.

Anyhow it sounds like the issue was that PC version weren’t running as well as expected considering the power usage or money spent. That’s where we are today as well on many releases. And the negativity is well deserved in my opinion. I payed roughly $5k for my PC, I pretty much expect the screen refresh to be the bottle neck, that’s how it is on well-optimized games. To learn that games like the new Star Wars game drop below 60fps on such hardware is a joke and makes me want to completely ignore the game, the devs and publisher deserve every bit of backlash for releasing a version like that.

And one bad version is absolutely affecting the PR for all versions. Look at Cyberpunk, it was a joke on console but fairly okayish on PC and the whole internet slammed it and clouded the positive talk that actually existed around the PC version. In the end the backlash made CDPR work on it and today it is a much better game everywhere.

Juza

Arkham Knight was literally capped at 30fps by default and no option for it.

Spyxos

For sure the bad press stuck to it

But now reviews on Steam for it are extremely positive, so it was salvaged

I played it last year and I was super impressed. Game aged superbly graphic wise, looks even better than the recent Gotham Knights.

The smoke effects, omg /chefkiss
Yes, now it has postive reviews on Steam only the game could be bought for 2.50 before that and was even completely free in Epic Games Store.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Arkham Knight was literally capped at 30fps by default and no option for it.
Then I must have played it a bit later, because I devinitivly had more than just 30 fps on Pc. I first played through it on the Ps4.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Fair enough it was the dark ages, but did it run lower than that on PC?
The issue wasn't even the framerate, game had crazy stutters even if you locked it at 30. Especially when driving. It was so bad I bought the ps4 version and finished it there.

Last edited:

Arsic

A lot of current bad ports on PC has to do with shader compilation stutter , and being CPU instead of GPU intensive.

Furthermore most folks want RT to work but all devs minus a few suck at adding this feature to be worth the 50+ fps drops and stutters they cause.

poodaddy

Gold Member
To be honest I'm confused by this narrative that Arkham Knight is regarded as a bad game. It seems pretty universally regarded as a good game that was brought down a bit by the shoehorned tank gameplay and batmobile segments. It's not an incredible game, but I've literally never once seen a single person regard it as "very bad", so it just seems you're being a bit hyperbolic to me on that one OP.

Spyxos

To be honest I'm confused by this narrative that Arkham Knight is regarded as a bad game. It seems pretty universally regarded as a good game that was brought down a bit by the shoehorned tank gameplay and batmobile segments. It's not an incredible game, but I've literally never once seen a single person regard it as "very bad", so it just seems you're being a bit hyperbolic to me on that one OP.
I've read on forums for years that the game is boring and doesn't measure up to the other Arkam games, and that most people quit because of the Batmobile. The mood here was also relatively negative at the time.

Last edited:

Braag

It definitely takes the discussion from the game away to the glaring issues a certain platform might have with the game.

lmimmfn

Broken games are beneficial to the PC audience, if its fixed eventually its mega cheap, if its never fixed its avoided. We save on day 1 shit prices.

Noxxera

Why are you even thinking about stuff like this? Lol. A few years ago most developers would skip PC at all costs and only launch games console exclusive cause of piracy. I guess the piracy on PC have gone down so developers feel safer releasing again.

I have no idea if the bad PC port hurt the console sales but my gut feeling says it didn't in a major way. It's only PCmasterrace ppl thinking that. Wishful thinking maybe?

yamaci17

i played aknight much later on. yes graphics hold up and even better than most games nowadays released even

but i found the game pretty... meh. city was like a masterpiece. knight has too much unnecessary bloat/filler to it

poodaddy

Gold Member
I've read on forums for years that the game is boring and doesn't measure up to the other Arkam games, and that most people quit because of the Batmobile. The mood here was also relatively negative at the time.
Yeah it was, and it is no longer for the most part.

Look man, I love this place, but let's be real....these boys are some hyperbolic mother fuckers around here, ESPECIALLY around launch time frames. If someone says a 7/10 game at launch is a "flaming pile of piss trash horse shit that should be scoured from the globe with satellite lasers", that translates to "the game is relatively solid yet I'm slightly disappointed with it relative to my previous level of excitement."

rofif

Banned
It’s an amazing game. I love the car parts too. Especially with tumbler dlc. So cool

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Picked up on day 1 and played through within 1 week and I didn't notice anything negative.
The shitty 30fps and high input lag is still there to this day. PC version was bad also because it was locked to 30fps, thing unacceptable on PC games.

Spyxos

The shitty 30fps and high input lag is still there to this day. PC version was bad also because it was locked to 30fps, thing unacceptable on PC games.
I don't care about 30 fps and well, I didn't notice the input lag. If it were a fps it would certainly be different.

Spyxos

What you care or not is irrelevant for the standard quality games should have, especially on PC.
Yout qouted my console post not Pc. And the fact that 30 fps on the console isn't enough for you doesn't really matter. Many have no problem with this at all.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yout qouted my console post not Pc. And the fact that 30 fps on the console isn't enough for you doesn't really matter. Many have no problem with this at all.
Consoles accepting 30fps post SNES era =/= 30fps being "running well".

Spyxos

Consoles accepting 30fps post SNES era =/= 30fps being "running well".
You don't seriously think the games on the current consoles will stay at 60 fps? It won't be feasible without Pro consoles. Many games now are already 1080p 60.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned

The PC version isn't really locked to 30fps, but it was a rough port of an already graphically demanding game.

It definitely takes the discussion from the game away to the glaring issues a certain platform might have with the game.

Most certainly. Think Ys VIII. That game's PS4 version is magnificent, for my money among the greatest ports ever.
But it had a poor PC launch, a subpar Switch version, and the misconception of being "just a Vita game" (when in truth the PS4 and PC versions have visual upgrades and perform far better).

TrackZ

I'm actually playing Batman Arkham Knight right now on my 4090 PC. The game looks insanely good and runs around 100 FPS or so maxed out so much that I stopped checking. Excellent performance and a great game, especially as a Batman fan. I'm enjoying the addition of the Batmobile to the series quite a lot.

I recently had a PS5 for a short time. The game never got a new gen upgrade, which is sad, but overall the game looks like it is melting on console in comparison.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I rarely quit a game and I quit that one out of boredom... Wish it never went full open world, I love Asylum and managed to get through City because the open world design felt overwhelming and unnecessarily boring, but Knight... I even got burnt out of trying. Will try later though, the game isn't bad at all, just something on it bored me but in general was having a good time doing side quests.

The game ran perfect for me BTW, I got it two years ago on PC so it was beyond fixed by then, actually on the most performing games I've played on my current GPU, can easily push 4K at more than 80 fps which I cannot on many others, literally downloaded it just to test lol. The game was released previous to TAA being a thing so expect shimmering all over the place at any resolution.

Otre

Banned
Nah. People still buy them. They will buy the next one if its a popular ip. Most people dont care about good performance and we are all worse for it.

Top Bottom