• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have OLED TV burn-in protections gone too far?

Tmac

I used to have an old LG OLED with glorious image and recently swtiched for the modern LG equivalent. After a while a started to notice some image quality issues that from what a learned online are linked to burn-in protections implemented in recent models. Apparently the only fix to this is grab a service controller to acess the service menu and diable those protections (risking warranty void).

Example: while playing hogwarts legacy on dialogue scenes, every time the camera angle change from one character to the other, there's a significant brightness change and the background looks complete different (darker or lighter) from the other angle.

Maybe I'm too sensible to brightness and most people won't even notice this c***p.

Overall the image quality is much worse than my 2016 model.

Anyone have the same issue?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The screen only starts getting dimmer if you hold on the same scene for about 2 minutes.
Other than that, it's the in-game processing you are seeing.
I dont find any of the burn-in preventions to be an issue

TonyK

I have a LG CX and soon after buying it I bought the service controller to disable those protections for the same reason you said (not the Hogwarts of course, but because the image becomes dimmer in long scenes without changes). 2 years after, playing regularly, I don't see any signs of burn in, so I'm glad I took the risk.

Last edited:

Arioco

Example: while playing hogwarts legacy on dialogue scenes, every time the camera angle change from one character to the other, there's a significant brightness change and the background looks complete different (darker or lighter) from the other angle.

Sorry but that's not an OLED protection measure, the game actually changes brightness every camera cut and it's annoying as hell.

ABL and ASBL are not that quick, they change brightness level gradually and slowly. In Hogwarts Legacy you can clearly see the game changing brightness and even color in a fraction of a second every time a camera cut happens.

Tmac

That's a common issue within the game itself. I'm playing on a LED TV and I have the exact same thing happening.

It's not TV related. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

I haven't played anything for ages and tought it was a tv problem.

I'm almost positive that happened before but not sure with which game... maybe its a game related issue only or both.

Thats for all your help.

Kuranghi

I used to have an old LG OLED with glorious image and recently swtiched for the modern LG equivalent. After a while a started to notice some image quality issues that from what a learned online are linked to burn-in protections implemented in recent models. Apparently the only fix to this is grab a service controller to acess the service menu and diable those protections (risking warranty void).

Maybe I'm too sensible to brightness and most people won't even notice this c***p.

Is it a C2? They changed the ABL transition behavior to be over only 1 or 2 frames instead of gradually on the C1, I dislike this change, so its probably that but mostly its just the eye adapation simulation in the game. It would happen even on an LCD, but OLED and specifically your model makes it worse.

Haven't noticed anything like that on my C1

Kuranghi

Sorry but that's not an OLED protection measure, the game actually changes brightness every camera cut and it's annoying as hell.

ABL and ASBL are not that quick, they change brightness level gradually and slowly. In Hogwarts Legacy you can clearly see the game changing brightness and even color in a fraction of a second every time a camera cut happens.

Definitely agree on the main culprit and ABSL is gradual of course but ABL 100% changes that fast, when you switch from low APL scene to high like this. I detailed the changes on the C2 in my other post. I'm not just going by reviews or videos online, I demo OLED every day and when its at max brightness and with all the contrast boosting bullshit on it will quite aggressively change between shots, its harder to see on the shop floor for sure though.

Arioco

Definitely agree on the main culprit and ABSL is gradual of course but ABL 100% changes that fast, when you switch from low APL scene to high like this. I detailed the changes on the C2 in my other post. I'm not just going by reviews or videos online, I demo OLED every day and when its at max brightness and with all the contrast boosting bullshit on it will quite aggressively change between shots, its harder to see on the shop floor for sure though.

Well, yes, you're right, ABL can be pretty quick too, but it's different, it depends on the average brightness of the scene, the issue with Hogwarts Legacy is something different, when a camera cut happens the brightness and colors change even if the brightness level of the two cuts is similar, and unlike ABL it never happens in a scene until there's a cut. It's very weird. I can't remember seeing something quite like this in any other game. I wonder what can be causing this issue. It doesn't seem to be one of those "Unreal things" shared by several game using the same engine.

Kuranghi

Well, yes, you're right, ABL can be pretty quick too, but it's different, it depends on the average brightness of the scene, the issue with Hogwarts Legacy is something different, when a camera cut happens the brightness and colors change even if the brightness level of the two cuts is similar, and unlike ABL it never happens in a scene until there's a cut. It's very weird. I can't remember seeing something quite like this in any other game. I wonder what can be causing this issue. It doesn't seem to be one of those "Unreal things" shared by several game using the same engine.

I'm guessing its due to how the rendered/lighting works, the data is built up over frames and not saved each time for repetitive cuts necessarily.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

thats a game issue. Light bleeding

Nothing like that my end on my G2.

south park kenny GIF

Kuranghi

So its B or C6 vs. what have you bought? I don't know of anything thats worse on the newer models/panels, they would certainly be a lot brighter than a 2015/2016. The burn-in protections probably are more aggressive but its because they old panels got burned a lot without that.

I think its more the game than the new TV though, as discussed above.

Banned
Hogwards Legacy has TERRRRIIIBLE image stability. I just started playing it to try it out (a friend has it on steam and I am in his family share) and holy fucking shit my eyes... that game only looks good in still images.

so like others said, that's probably not an issue with your TV

Last edited:

Bojji

Other than that it might be game issue:

You need to disable power saving setting in OLED protection setting (it's quite hidden)

Top Bottom