• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have You Ever A Sudden Change Of Interest Or Your Friends?

So here is some context - I really like to talk and geek out about cars with my dad or my friends.

I live in South Florida and roughly 10 minutes away from Boca Raton and 40 or so from Miami. But even before I moved here, I've always liked cars and still do. Moving to the south part of Florida made that interest even stronger. There are so many exotic cars around that they're not so exotic anymore. Range Rovers, Porsches, Maserati, Lamborghini, Ferraris and so on. My cousin was/is also a luxury dealer for Bentleys, Mercedes etc... so that made it even easier to talk about cars all the time.

However, I have a friend who I met a while back. Anytime I would talk about cars, he would have the most blank stare and just be like "yea cool" and would show 0 interest. Fast forward a couple years later, he now talks about cars more than I do and now I am the one standing there listening to him almost for hours talking about vehicles. He also knows more about the cars than I do. It's kind of funny.

Have you ever met anyone who's interests has flipped so hard?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I know people that talk about their kids sports and I could care so little. I support my children in their sports but I don't talk about it with other people. It bores me out of my mind to hear people talk about their kid playing baseball and how much they travel for it.

Your friend was influenced by you and your influence has caused him to be interested in it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Funny story when I was younger I never noticed my body but suddenly when I did.

im horny jack nicholson GIF

Season 4 Hands GIF by The Office

Sorry Season 2 GIF by Everything's Gonna Be Okay

Last edited:

Synless

I don’t flip on my friends because of interests. I do try to steer conversations to mutual interests, however as I have gotten older I have realized some friendships are seasonal and come and go over months and years. Some rebound, others don’t,

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes I have an inherent fascination wih certain topics that hasn't resonated with my friends in such a way which manifested in a way that I always had to pretend to exist in a certain reality if I wanted to remain some sort of bond. That's still the case.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Our interests change as we get older and are exposed to different things and have different means to pay for them…

Cattlyst

I have an acquaintance who doesn’t seem to have his own interests. He learns about something other people like and then goes all in, super interested to almost obsessive levels for a short time and then moves onto the next thing. Because he earns a lot of money he has a lot of disposable income so his place is full of random high end equipment from his past flash in the pan interests he’s now dropped and moved on from, onto the next thing he’s suddenly now into.

Billbofet

I tend to obsess on one thing briefly and move on.
Years ago I was obsessed with bourbon hunting so I bought my best friend a bottle of Buffalo Trace as it is a great entry in to bourbon. Now three years later I still love bourbon but really only stick to what is easily accessible. My friend is all in and has a collection worth thousands and is always chasing after a unicorn bourbon. I feel responsible for that, but damn if it isn't great visiting him!!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t have close friends in town. The people I knew from my school years all moved on. I did reach out to one guy who always stayed at my place. We were bff for a couple years in high school. Dude got very religious, moved, invited me to his wedding (never received the actual invitation), but it all fell off completely. We use to play games all night together. We don’t get along as adults. He developed this southern accent, which sounds fake to me. We talked about Resident Evil the last time we spoke and used the word “ya’ll”. I bring this up because I’ve had a lot of high school type friends, but no real close friends over the years.I did rekindle some childhood friendships, but that is mostly nostalgia. We talk about gaming here and there. We lost contact for like 15 years, so it’s hard to find a common ground other than our friendship as kids.

I talk to an ex coworker of mine. He likes games and stuff. We like the same music at times and other misc stuff. It’s weird cause I try to be myself and I get the feeling like he thinks I’m gas lighting him. I feel like I’ve gotten to that part with a lot of people I use to hang out with. I’ve met some husbands since I’ve been married, but the chain is so tight around their necks that we didn’t really grow as friends. It’s more like someone to have a casual conversation with.

I have some online buddies I’ve met that I’ve stayed in touch for over 15 years. Those are personal relationships. My step daughter always makes the comment that most of my friends don’t live in the same town and I’m fine with that. I cherish the people I meet who share a common interest with me.

ahtlas7

Did he find a car he fell in love with which showed him they can be awesome? Experiencing an amazing car is a lot different than someone’s stories.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I was much more into culture and art younger, but after I stopped pursuing a career in that field that part of me had to kind of die and I had to let my former interests go so I could start finding new interests and build a new life for myself.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
My interests/hobbies have remained steadfast: making music, playing video games, exploring tech advancements, and endurance training (swimming/running/biking). All of these have been my go-to's for over 20 years now.

I used to love to read books and write, but both of those fell off after graduating college. I miss the positive impact they have on cognition, but can't seem to find the desire to pick them back up.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Most of my friends from the high school days ended up criminals, while I went on to college. So I lost a lot of friends after I turned 18.

Nothing against them. I understand. We all grew up in pretty terrible conditions. I just couldn't hack that life any longer. I mean, what common ground did we even share at that point? It's like hey man, my elective for ancient Middle Eastern history was really interesting. Oh, you robbed a pharmacy at gunpoint today. Well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom