• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever been sad that a movie flopped?

Spyxos

Gold Member
I remember sitting alone in Bladerunnter 2049, I couldn't believe how good the movie was and that no one seemed to care. Still makes me sad when I think about the movie from time to time.

It was the same when I saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. The cinema was absolutely empty there, too. But I think at least the movie has recovered a bit over time and many people like it now. And there is a 2nd part coming very soon.

sono

Gold Member
I can't say I am glad about any.flop. The challenge with 2049 is the first was off the charts and has become legendary

DKehoe

Gold Member
Sure, especially recently. The audience for movies has become less and less willing to look outside of the franchises they are familiar with and give a chance to ones that are trying something different. A couple years back Paul Schrader talked about how audiences these days are less willing to engage with films in a serious way and when you see the kind of conversations that go on around films now it does seem to be the case.

It's kinda concerning when audiences won't go and see the latest film by Spielberg, Mr Blockbuster himself. The Northman was another one from last year I thought was good but it didn't perform well.

Last edited:

badblue

It was the same when I saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. The cinema was absolutely empty there, too.
I don't think into the Spiderverse is a flop by any metric.

total worldwide gross of $384.3 million, against a production budget of $90 million and has high critical and viewer ratings.

It also won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Why would I be? John Carpenter's the "Thing" flopped and was lambasted by everyone afterward (including Campbell). Yet, it's still a stellar movie which has in recent decades finally been given the appreciation it deserved.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I don't think into the Spiderverse is a flop by any metric.

total worldwide gross of $384.3 million, against a production budget of $90 million and has high critical and viewer ratings.

It also won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film.
Huch, it wasn't a flop? I was 1-2 weeks after the release in cinema and also at the time where the cinema is usually full. I always thought that it failed, but nice to know that it was successful.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Ryan Gosling Shut Up GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Im no a super hero fan, but saw Dark Phoenix. I thought it was pretty good compared t other ones I saw. Same goes for Solo. Thought it was much better than the recent SW movies. Emilia Clarke hot too.

The comedy film White Chicks is hilarious. But got grilled in reviews with super low ratings. It sstill made $100M, but should had made much more and got much better review scores.

Fun tip. I've seen the movie many times. You know how TV channels will show edited versions to chop out content for sake of making a time slot or risque contrent? The scene that will likely get cut out is the scene where they are in the bedroom all goofing around and one of Wayan guys shows the wacky ways to do blow jobs, since he doesn't want to do it himself on the dildo.

MrStauf

Banned
The original Blade Runner was a bit of a flop, I wasn't a fan of BR2049 due to the daytime scenes BR is a noir film and is supposed to take place only at night. The daytime scene at the end of the original cut was unused footage from Kubricks The Shining and was spliced in because the early test screenings showed that viewers weren't happy with the ending.

I totally agree with @LegendOfKane UHF was hilarious and more films from weirdal films would have been most welcome.

SegaShack

Sure, especially recently. The audience for movies has become less and less willing to look outside of the franchises they are familiar with and give a chance to ones that are trying something different. A couple years back Paul Schrader talked about how audiences these days are less willing to engage with films in a serious way and when you see the kind of conversations that go on around films now it does seem to be the case.

It's kinda concerning when audiences won't go and see the latest film by Spielberg, Mr Blockbuster himself. The Northman was another one from last year I thought was good but it didn't perform well.
To be fair Speilberg hasn't been Mr Blockbuster since 1993. There are 30 year olds now who never lived during a blockbuster release of his.

Dr. Suchong

I seem to recall The Sky Crawlers being labelled pretentious or something by critics.
Couldn't be further from the truth.
It's a masterpiece.

Mr Hyde

I got pretty upset when I read that Battle Angel Alita didn't perform well on the box office, since I thought the movie was so damn good and I wanted more (and the ending sets up a sequel as well). But there have been rumblings about moving forward with the franchise. Both Jim Cameron and Jon Landau have hinted at a new Alita movie so fingers crossed.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not really, I like getting periodic reminders of my superior intellect and taste compared to the mass audience

e.g I have a BR2049 movie poster in my office

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I prefer being the only person in the cinema and often go on weekday afternoons to see as few people in the theater as possible.

I've never been sad when a movie doesn't do well. I do what I can to support them but that's all I can do.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Not a movie but a tv series: Utopia. The original British one.
Man that hurts and sucks soo much. Double so when you think what kind of turds get renewed season after season.
That's such a fucking all-time classic. One of the best shows ever made. I yearn for a revival.
Another show that hurts more for me is The OA.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Instantly thought of Blade Runner 2049 as well.

Funnily enough, just got finished watching it again.

Very very close to being my favorite movie. Might take the spot for me.

DKehoe

Gold Member
To be fair Speilberg hasn't been Mr Blockbuster since 1993. There are 30 year olds now who never lived during a blockbuster release of his.

True, maybe not a guaranteed hit like he used to be. But I’ve seen guys like him, Scorsese and Tarantino talked about by some people like they’re these pretentious arthouse directors when they’re pretty populist.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
2049 may have been a flop financially but a lot of people regard it as a great movie and I think over time (it's already been 6 years) it will become a classic. They had a big job to live up to the original, which was a flop too by the way, but they nailed it.

I really don't care if it didn't make the money it was meant to or if it wasn't a huge popular success. I'm just thankful we got it at all and I can watch it as much as I like. Seeing it in cinema is one of the best experiences I've ever had. The soundtrack was incredible. That scene where K flies back to LAPD (the soundtrack is titled Flight to LAPD) was fucking insane in the cinema.

And anyway it sounds like Villeneuve might be up for another movie. It's unlikely but he doesn't seem to be against the idea so who knows what could happen after Dune? Of course we will be getting a Blade Runner show too which I hope is good.

generally i don't get sad if a movie flopped. maybe if i was working at a movie company and only cared about profits but i'm here to watch movies. if nobody else likes them then i don't care.

Top Bottom