• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever been sad that a movie flopped?

Kurotri

bitbydeath

Best action movie since the OG Die Hard.

images

There were plans for two more if it were successful.

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I wouldn't say sad but I was definitely disappointed when I finally sat down at home, watched Warcraft through and at the end said to myself, damn, this will never get a sequel.

It was just an all around decent movie. Predictable as hell story but fun action scenes, great special effects and sound design. I definitely enjoyed it way more than any of the Hobbit films. It's one of the better game movies.

Laieon

Warcraft. I thought it was fun and we're not exactly swimming in sword and sorcery movies, so I'll take what I can get. I also think the movie has a hell of a lot of flaws, so it really wasn't all that unexpected. Still, by far my favorite spellcasting/magic visuals I've seen in any movie.

Alita Battle Angel.

It didn’t flop but it didn’t do amazing either. Kinda dashes my hope for a sequel.

Lets be honest, at this point Cameron has enough sway that if he really wants it to happen, it'll happen. Avatar is definitely his priority at the moment though.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Many of my favourite movies were considered flops at the time of their original release. Blade Runner (the original) and The Thing( both 1982) for instance have both completed the journey from failure to all-time classic over the last 40 years.

Batiman

Banned
Did Tintin flop? I thought it did. It wasn’t the greatest movie but I’m a sucker for that kind of animated Indiana stuff.

I’m not sure if pacific rim 2 flopped but that turned out to be so shitty after coming off the first. It could’ve been so much more.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I remember sitting alone in Bladerunnter 2049, I couldn't believe how good the movie was and that no one seemed to care. Still makes me sad when I think about the movie from time to time.

It was the same when I saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. The cinema was absolutely empty there, too. But I think at least the movie has recovered a bit over time and many people like it now. And there is a 2nd part coming very soon.

I can't say that I have even though I really enjoyed Blade Runner. I couldn't bother with Spiderman many people aren't into cartoons myself included, that's probably why Spiderman was empty.

SJRB

Gold Member
GHOSTINSHELL.GIF

Ghost in the Shell

I love this movie and I love that a studio actually took the gamble and gave a huge bag of money to get this made.

The story is mid but the presentation is S-tier. Amazing visuals, music and overall world building. The Scarlett Johansson "controversy" didn't help either, I suppose.

The best movies are usually not the ones with the most mass appeal. It's why basicy none of the top grossing movies of all time are considered to be the best movies of all time

The same can also be said in gaming but many people don't seem to realise that mass appeal doesn't necessarily mean best. Just means a broader audience.

So yeah great movies and games flopping I'd annoying but there is no way to avoid it

Wild Wild West is a perfectly fun little summer popcorn movie and I still don't understand the hate it gets, at 9 I really enjoyed the cool steampunk stuff, the sexy girls and Will Smith as a cowboy.

Razvedka

Banned
I remember sitting alone in Bladerunnter 2049, I couldn't believe how good the movie was and that no one seemed to care. Still makes me sad when I think about the movie from time to time.

It was the same when I saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. The cinema was absolutely empty there, too. But I think at least the movie has recovered a bit over time and many people like it now. And there is a 2nd part coming very soon.

2049 will be remembered as a classic by fans, imo. History will treat it very kindly.

I'm upset about Prometheus. In part, I appreciate why it got panned. There was a bit too much ambiguity, and Scott wasn't willing to commit to a hard 'R' rating at first (despite getting it anyway lol). I felt that movie was trying to be daring and interesting in a whole lot of ways, and maybe with a bit better execution it would have gone farther. But then again, maybe not. Regardless, due to poor reception we got Covenant which wasn't bad but it was a pretty boring 'reversion' to the old horror schtick vs new ideas and stories.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
John Carter of mars. Such a great series of books. Should have been marketed better because the movie is decent.

valerian. Casting was wrong. Marketing bad. Story was a mess. but the comics and anime are wonderful.

JCK75

My top three that made me sad they failed were
1. Monster Squad
2. Adventures of Tin Tin
3. John Carter

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Freejack made bad money and got bad reviews. I havent seen it in a long time, so maybe it'd be terrible if I rewatched it. But when I saw it on TV, I thought it was a good movie. Mick Jagger is awesome in it!

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It looked amazing but those two leads and the dialogue were some of the worst ever.

I'll throw Blade Runner 2049 in. Dune to a lesser extent. It made enough money to warrant a second part but it should have made marvel money.
5th Element is the better Valerian movie it is just not called that. But it is the same director. And much of Fifth Element borrows from the Valerian comics.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember watching Journey of Natty Gann in school as our end of year fun film. I didn't remember much about it, but then I rewatched it when I was older. A great family movie. It looks like it made almost no money in theatres too.

It's based in the depression era, so the setting is old and crusty, but the movie had an oddly ULTRA low budget look to it beyond normal. Like it was more suited to being a made for TV movie with CBC or TVOntario levels of budget than a production from a big studio.

Lasha

Valerian came first to my mind. I really think the flaws in the film were Besson blowing his load doing whatever he wanted because he knew a sequel was unlikely. The chase through the dimensional market easily makes my top 3 action sequences. I would welcome a sequel in any form.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Valerian came first to my mind. I really think the flaws in the film were Besson blowing his load doing whatever he wanted because he knew a sequel was unlikely. The chase through the dimensional market easily makes my top 3 action sequences. I would welcome a sequel in any form.
I hate the Bubble character......that really messed up part of that movie. I really hate the lead casting.

Dural

I remember watching Journey of Natty Gann in school as our end of year fun film. I didn't remember much about it, but then I rewatched it when I was older. A great family movie. It looks like it made almost no money in theatres too.

It's based in the depression era, so the setting is old and crusty, but the movie had an oddly ULTRA low budget look to it beyond normal. Like it was more suited to being a made for TV movie with CBC or TVOntario levels of budget than a production from a big studio.

Journey of Natty Gann was one of my favorite movies as a kid in the 80s, I've shown it to my kids and they loved it. It's too bad more movies like this aren't made today.

The 2003 Peter Pan is a favorite of mine and I'd put it right there with the 1953 Disney classic. It bombed at the box office thanks to the stupid Cheaper by the Dozen remake releasing on the same day. I thought it was touching that Mohammed Al-Fayed co-produced the movie in dedication to his son who was a huge fan of Peter Pan.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Journey of Natty Gann was one of my favorite movies as a kid in the 80s, I've shown it to my kids and they loved it. It's too bad more movies like this aren't made today.

I like that older Disney stuff I should go check this out.

Fbh

I'll throw Blade Runner 2049 in. Dune to a lesser extent. It made enough money to warrant a second part but it should have made marvel money.

Yup.
Every now and then there's some big budget movie like Dune that really gets my hopes up about being a big hit at the box office and setting a precedent for something more serious, standalone and overall less Marvel-like to make a ton of money in the current market . And each time they either bomb like BL2049 or seem to only perform well enough to be "acceptable" like Dune it's a bit sad.

Then we get dome D-tier crap like Love and Thunder making 800 mill and No way Home making like 2 billion

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Yup.
Every now and then there's some big budget movie like Dune that really gets my hopes up about being a big hit at the box office and setting a precedent for something more serious, standalone and overall less Marvel-like to make a ton of money in the current market . And each time they either bomb like BL2049 or seem to only perform well enough to be "acceptable" like Dune it's a bit sad.

Then we get dome D-tier crap like Love and Thunder making 800 mill and No way Home making like 2 billion
I'm hoping Dune 2 does better. The word-of-mouth on Dune 1 was great in my circles. I think there might be more hype for 2 for people that didn't check out 1 in the theaters

Reactions: Fbh

Hoppa

Scott Pilgrim, but I rewatched it recently and it really was not very good, some of things the characters say are just nonsense? One thing that stuck out to me was “Next time I’ll be deadly serious next time” HUH?????

Annoying unlikeable characters which I guess is the point but it’s such a time capsule of the ‘hipster’ movement around that time, I think I was just the right age when it came out and a huge fan of Edgar Wrights other films

Top Bottom