• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever been sad that a movie flopped?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ghost in the shell bombing was a shame. All that bs about the race of a robot.
466d9718507ade5d5e2b7m1eaf.gif

Still pisses me off, I knew it was gonna get hated on when the first trailer dropped and people was talking about whitewashing a shell that had multiple skin tones, eye colours & hairs colours.
main-qimg-f189744c2a4b7bb5339b40264c62d643

It was all nonsense
And then saying the trailer was bad.... which was BS, it was a fucking excellent trailer.
I proudly have the 4K Steelbook in my collection.
And the art team behind it should have got an award.
Really stunning cinematography in that film and probably my favourite role of Scarlett Johansson since her appearance as Black Widow in the early MCU films.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Oh man the list....

1) DREDD
2) Blade Runner 2049
3) Alita: Battle Angel
4) Pacific Rim (Sequel was utter trash and buried any hope of this franchise)
5) Edge of Tomorrow (or Live,Die,Repeat as it was stupidly titled in some places)
6) Sin City (more in the sense that the sequel took TOO LONG to come out and sadly a good chunk of the cast died or were not available so it screwed continuity)
7) Tron Legacy
8) Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
9) The Zero Theorem (The last of Terry Gilliam's "Unofficial" dystopian future trilogy)
10) MUTE (muddled plot aside, I want to see more of this universe that Duncan Jones was building which started with MOON)

....huh, noticing a pattern with my choices.

Lasha

I hate the Bubble character......that really messed up part of that movie. I really hate the lead casting.

I think bubble was fine. I don't think it added anything to the plot other than runtime. Luc Besson probably wanted Rhianna so he paid for a private sesh with Rhianna.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
466d9718507ade5d5e2b7m1eaf.gif

Still pisses me off, I knew it was gonna get hated on when her first trailer dropped and people was talking about whitewashing a shell that had multiple skin tones, eye colours & hairs colours.
main-qimg-f189744c2a4b7bb5339b40264c62d643

It was all nonsense
And then saying the trailer was bad.... which was BS, it was a fucking excellent trailer.
I proudly have the 4K Steelbook in my collection.
And the art team behind it should have got an award.
Really stunning cinematography in that film and probably my favourite role of Scarlett Johansson since her appearance as Black Widow in the early MCU films.
Word! I have the 4k blu ray too :)

ScarJo played the role really well too.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: TGO

Toons

I actually enjoyed this movie.

I thought this movie was way ahead of its time. Told a sprawling story with worldbuilding and a unique take on a classic style of story, it got poorly marketed and released in a bad time and got killed.

On one hand I get it it wss like macrodosing on science fiction psychedelics, they give you everything in the movie. Time travel, other planets, alien civilization, civil war themes, a romance plot, religious themes etc but if you ask me it did Avatar better than Avatar(save for avatars amazing special effects).

Really should've done better. It's a gem

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Despite it being realistic in many ways when you look at society today and where it is headed?

Yeah i listened to an analysis of it all and that was prolly the reason.

2 years on the shelf. Very VERY short time and limited movie theater exposure.

Was posted on IMDB as something like Mike Judge Comedy.

Got a cult following when released on dvd. It's one of my favorite comedies for various reasons.

Last edited:

Doom85

Sad Tears GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor

This hurt so much. Such a great thriller. David Fincher is my favorite director of all time, and Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig are so great in this. Would have loved to seen the other two books adapted.

And honestly, I don’t know how to check out the two future entries. It should have been simple, except…

- the books. The official US copies are apparently poorly translated. I’m sure there are better fan translations online, but I can’t even barely tolerate reading manga/comics without holding a copy in my hand, it’s just how I’m wired, no way I could handle reading an entire novel or two digitally

- the Swedish movie trilogy. I mean, the books were written by a Swedish author, so if anything, these movies are probably more faithful, oh wait, the book fans seem to generally consider the American film to be more faithful in comparison. Well…..shit.

- the David Fincher sequels. Oh right, again, they don’t exist. (sadness returns)

I mean, I’m sure at some point I’ll probably just check out the Swedish films even if there are more deviations from the source material. Really sucks whatever US publishing company got the book rights did such a lackluster job, maybe someday a different company will get the rights and give it a better release.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never saw Midway. I dont even remember it coming out. I do faintly remember the old Midway movie. Fox29 used to show that on weekends like 5 times a year! Cool real footage of dogfight and shit.

I would say Alita Battle Angel too.
Even though the CGI eyes were jarring at first, I got used to it and enjoyed the film. I knew the anime from when I was a kid in the 90's and always was a fan of that as well.
I have heard a sequel is on the way, so thats good news.

giphy.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
MV5BZTllZTdlOGEtZTBmMi00MGQ5LWFjN2MtOGEyZTliNGY1MzFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_.jpg

An amazing movie. Profound character piece in a familiar yet otherworldly setting. Really great story, great acting from Brad Pitt, incredible special effects and a truly remarkable soundtrack.

I love everything about this movie. It's basically Heart of Darkness [or Apocalypse Now] in space, sans the war. A man searching for answers, slowly descending into madness the further he gets from home.

It ls really, really great and it hurts me that this movie got dunked on for being too boring or because Brad Pitt narrates certain segments. This movie is pure cinema and I am thankful that it got made even if it did catastrophically poor at the box office.

Pearls to the swines.

bright-brad-pitt.gif

SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD, watched it back in 2011 and was sad that it wasn't doing great at the box office, it has a cult following and an anime in the works now, so I guess there's a silver lining

EekTheKat

For some reason or other The 13th Warrior is the one film that stuck with me ever since I saw it when I was young. Film was a box office and critical bomb, but I found the characters to be likable, and the story is an adaptation of an old fable.

The ending was largely what stuck with me.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Hard to ruin a series that Revolutions already shat all over.
While neither Revolutions or Reloaded were as good as the original The Matrix, most movies aren't, and I think the first two sequels are mostly OK.

Watching Resurrections is like running a marathon barefoot in dog shit.

Doom85

While neither Revolutions or Reloaded were as good as the original The Matrix, most movies aren't, and I think the first two sequels are mostly OK.

Watching Resurrections is like running a marathon barefoot in dog shit.

I honestly didn’t hate Resurrections that much, while still bad, just because Revolutions pissed me off that much.

Hell, the first third or so of Resurrections is honestly good to me, even if they squander all the potential. A Morpheus/Smith hybrid? Humans and some machines actually uniting together? Neo possibly actually having hallucinated, or something, the first three movies? Shit, these are some legit interesting plot threads. Oh wait, the last one is resolved very quickly, and the first two are barely touched upon. Instead, it’s all about Neo and Trinity’s love, which even most fans agree was always a weak aspect of all the films. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Revolutions never hooked my attention once. Virtually everything is a miss in that one IMHO. I’ll give the final Neo vs Smith fight is pretty cool, but one good final fight doesn’t redeem everything else boring me (let’s spend a ton of time in the Zion battle! Shame virtually none of the cast I care about are present!) or pissing me off. Also, them repeating the lobby fight has to be one of the most bewildering things decisions I’ve seen in a film. Like, if it had a clever twist to it, maybe, but nope, just the lobby fight again just not as good as the original. I actually remember my buddy in the theater whispering to me, “are they just doing the exact same fight?”

Reloaded is really good though, I did never get the initial backlash it got, though I feel most have warmed up to it over time.

I thought Tron: Legacy was really awesome. It didn't omega-flop or anything but I don't think it made much against a pretty beefy budget. Every now and then you hear something about another new Tron movie but nothing has really got off the ground yet.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Dredd (2012). Absolutely brilliant comic book movie but people wanted more Marvel/DC crap.

There’s zero chance of us ever getting a decent, accurate Dredd show or movie, because the entire thing is a giant satire and piss take of American culture, and would offend just about every ideological group there is.

Lunarorbit

The new Dredd is a great action movie even though it was right in the middle of the last 3D movie phase. Karl urbans jaw and his voice are perfect for who Dredd is.

On the other side, I saw Batman begins in an empty theater. I was shocked cause the only other time that happened was when I saw the Meg. I thought maybe Batman was gonna struggle financially when I was in the theater

Spyxos

Gold Member
For some reason or other The 13th Warrior is the one film that stuck with me ever since I saw it when I was young. Film was a box office and critical bomb, but I found the characters to be likable, and the story is an adaptation of an old fable.

The ending was largely what stuck with me.

Such a great movie I watch it with family almost every year.

kuncol02

Banned
GHOSTINSHELL.GIF

Ghost in the Shell

I love this movie and I love that a studio actually took the gamble and gave a huge bag of money to get this made.

The story is mid but the presentation is S-tier. Amazing visuals, music and overall world building. The Scarlett Johansson "controversy" didn't help either, I suppose.
Replacing GitS story with ripoff of Robocop didn't help them too.

Top Bottom