• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have You Ever ReBought a Game You Already Owned Digitally on a Different Store

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have the PC (battle.net) version of COD Cold War and I’ve had it since launch in late 2020. I still play it and probably have 160 hours in it.

Today I see that they brought the game to Steam out of nowhere and it’s on sale for $30 until 3/23. I feel conflicted about this:

1. On one hand the battle.net app is 100% fine to me and I’ve never had any issues using it.

2. On the other hand, after Destiny 2 got transferred over to Steam, the only two games that I own on battle.net at this point are COD Cold War and Overwatch 2. It would be nice if I could just transfer these to Steam and have one less digital storefront/app to deal with. Plus as far as 2 factor authentication, each storefront requires using its own mobile app for 2FA and won’t let you use a common 2FA app like Microsoft Authenticator, so again it would be nice to move both of these over to Steam for convenience.

3. Overwatch 2 still isn’t available on Steam at this time, but if they ever do bring it over to Steam then it’s now free to play now so it shouldn’t cost anything to transfer that over.

4. I already own COD Cold War (on battle.net) so it would be paying $30 for something that I already own and it’s a digital item so it takes up no space in my home.

Have you guys ever repurchased a digital game just to have it on one platform instead of another platform (maybe EGS or Origin to Steam, or even Steam to PlayStation)? Is this something you do often? Let’s hear about it.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I did it for Dark Souls. Played it on PS3 and I found that the game DLC was cheaper for me than just the DLC. Then I got the remastered version for PS4. But it was a remaster. It does not count.

winjer

Gold Member
I bought a couple of games that I had tried on Gamepass.
Sometimes, the gamepass version has issues because of versions being later, or because of uwp, or because MS just screw ups the Xbox app.

TonyK

A lot of times but in different consoles. I have all Resident Evils, Tomb Raiders, Metros, The Witcher, Cyberpunk... a ton of games bought digitally three times in PC, PS5 and XboxserX

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I mean if you count Sony games, I bought HZD on PS4, and again on Steam.

I sub to Humble Bundle as well so I often will get a game on Steam that I already owned on EGS.

I only double dip with actual cash on Sony games though, given their commitment to bringing games to PC.

Pelao

I've done double, triple and even quad dips on almost every Metal Gear game across multiple platforms, except MGS4 as it's only available on PS3 (Although even that game I own multiple times due to owning the original disc, the Legacy Collection, a US digital copy and a JP digital copy).
Plus there are a lot of games that I bought from the Xbox store despite having them for PS3 or PS4 because of the FPS boost on Series X.

Knightime_X

I do this constantly.
Like for 1 example, I have mega man legacy collection on Switch, Ps4, and Xbox.
Re4 - all consoles made available.

The list can be rather extensive if I continue.
🤷‍♂️

Kacho

Yea. Probably more often than I should. I’m rebuying the FF pixel remasters on Switch even though I already played them on Steam.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
2. On the other hand, after Destiny 2 got transferred over to Steam, the only two games that I own on battle.net at this point are COD Cold War and Overwatch 2. It would be nice if I could just transfer these to Steam and have one less digital storefront/app to deal with. Plus as far as 2 factor authentication, each storefront requires using its own mobile app for 2FA and won’t let you use a common 2FA app like Microsoft Authenticator, so again it would be nice to move both of these over to Steam for convenience.
Destiny 2 is really bad for me.

So it's FTP so I have it on Steam, EGS, Xbox and PC Gamepass. The issue is that I was dumb enough to get expansions on different systems. Cross Save is great, but you have to own the expansion on the platform you're playing on in order to get those features. So I got Shadow Keep on Steam, but other Expansions on EGS. Having certain expansions for free on Gamepass did not help this debacle.

At some point I'll need to bite the bullet and consolidate the expansions on one platform...leading to me double dipping more than likely.

If you mean rebuy on steam if you already own it on another launcher (EA, Ubisoft, Activision). Kinda have to be ocd to do that.
And yes I done it. Bought titanfall 2 and mass effect andromeda on steam again. Couple dollars each and wanted them on my steam account.
But you still have to keep their launcher installed.

SaiyanRaoh

Ever since I acquired a Steam Deck, its all the time these days. I am too lazy to get games from Epic/Ubi/EA/Xbox to work on it so I have to say I've repurchased at the very least 30 games I have on those other stores. Valves subsidizing plan for the Deck is clearly working as intended.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
If you mean rebuy on steam if you already own it on another launcher (EA, Ubisoft, Activision). Kinda have to be ocd to do that.
And yes I done it. Bought titanfall 2 and mass effect andromeda on steam again. Couple dollars each and wanted them on my steam account.
But you still have to keep their launcher installed.
With the Battlefield games, I own 4 of them on Origin (now EA Play) and I wouldn't rebuy these on Steam since like you said they require the Origin launcher to be installed anyway.
However, these COD games DON'T require a 3rd party launcher to be installed so it would be easy to move over and have 1 less launcher to deal with.

anthony2690

Banned
I've purchased hard copies of games I own digitally numerous times.

& I purchased Rayman legends on switch, ps Vita, Xbox 360 & Xbox one and Ubisoft still haven't delivered me another 2d ubi-art Rayman game, shame on them (I also 100% it on all platforms too) 😁

Fredrik

Yup all the time. Usually comes from playing on both console and PC. I start on console and then want in on mods or better performance and buy on PC later.

Yeah, pretty often now that I think about it. Hell, I just did it last night. I re-bought King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match on PS4, despite owning in on my Xbox 360 because I recently sold my 360 because I wasn't planning on replaying anything on it. I'll definitely double or triple dip if it means a remaster, or even just a port if it's cheap enough, to consolidate how many consoles I need to have hooked up at the same time.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Diablo 3 ps3
Diablo 3 ps4
Diablo 3 xbox one
Diablo 3 pc x2
Diablo 3 switch x2

If d3 launches on steam with controller support?

Buy it again

Last edited:

skit_data

No but I’ve done something similar:

I bought Dark Souls 3 digitally because I was too lazy to get up and put the disc in.

Quezacolt

Titanfall 2 - have it on origin and bought again for the ps4 to have a physical copy.
Diablo 3 - have it on pc and bought it again on switch, so i can play offline and have it physically.
Batman Arkham knight - have it on pc, bought the ps4 version
Ghost of tsushima - got the ps4 and then bought the director's cut for ps5, just so i could have the full version on disc
Bloodborne - originally had the digital version, later on i bought the game of the year edition on disc.

GHG

Yep, I rebuy games on Steam that I already own on other storefronts all the time. Even more so now that I have a Deck.

The lesson - be patient and wait for the game to arrive on steam and/or go on sale on steam.

acidagfc

I have 5 versions of Skyrim. Steam, GOG, PS4, PS5 (Anniversary ed), Swtich.
Why? Why not? All but the first one were like 5 bucks.

Krathoon

Sometimes, I will get a cheap Gog version of a game that I have on Steam. That way, I get rid of the DRM.

I will also get the PC and console version of a game sometimes.

Sometimes, the Steam version is better than the Gog version. Dragon's Dogma and Tomb Raider have better online support on Steam.

Last edited:
Diablo 3 ps3
Diablo 3 ps4
Diablo 3 xbox one
Diablo 3 pc x2
Diablo 3 switch x2

If d3 launches on steam with controller support?

Buy it again
GIF by Giphy QA

gothmog

Gold Member
I rebuy games from time to time. Usually when they are incredibly cheap and make sense. Epic games store stuff that I would rather have in my steam library. Console stuff occasionally when I have a friend that wants to play co-op or multi.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
After switching to PC I’ve purchased PC copies of games I owned digitally on consoles.

When it comes to storefronts I’ve never repurchased a game outright. But there’s certainly been bundles where I’ve kept the Steam version of something I already had on Epic.

Last edited:
yes did it with a ton of games unfortunately, all for steam deck. A few games i got on gog, epic and beamdog , I re bought on steam (using cdkeys site for discount).
I don't like using desktop app and installing that way as you loose performance and community controls. Plus the launchers like heroic get updated and wipes out your existing games. Linux isn't fun trying to find and clean up old files, imo. The whole OS file system is so strange, stuff is duplicated.

Also lots of games I got on ps4 I re-bought on switch and the deck....
Too many to list, at least they were on sale.

I have 5 versions of Skyrim. Steam, GOG, PS4, PS5 (Anniversary ed), Swtich.
Why? Why not? All but the first one were like 5 bucks.
lol, i am not alone.... but i can one up you, i have 6 versions.... how sad...lol , Ps3, PS4 special ed, steam legendary, steam special ed, Switch, and VR skyrim

Yeah they were all on sale. Deck makes switch version obsolete though, special/anniversary makes ps4 old and ps3 obsolete.

Actually i think the steam special was a free upgrade from legendary

We can do this with GTA5 as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom