• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you saved any animals in your life?

Osukaa

My cat that recently passed was found inside the walls of my previous home. We spent 2 days trying to get her out and were about to tear the wall down but instead we dropped a bunch or ties of shirts from my attic into the middle of the wall and when we pulled them up she was clinging onto them shaking and scared she was less than a week old. I fear to think she had siblings as she was the only one crying and we tried to see if there were others but there were no noises or any other signs of life. She lived to be almost 18 years old.

There were about 4 dogs we kept that were strays and they each lived for about 10 to 15 years to.

There was also a baby Possum my friend caught in a cage and they decided to bring it to me as they were worried it would be put down so my family and me helped it get better and released it in a nice area with little to no people and a bunch of trees and stuff.

I also used to rescue the mice that my grandmother would catch with those traps that are sticky. Me and my brother would secretly take it outside and spend a long time getting the mouse off of it without hurting him then we'd put some fruit by him and let him go lol.

Recently this last month I rescued a kitten that was lying in the alley behind my place and crying for who knows how long. He was less than a week old as his eyes were still not open... he passed away 4 days after i bought him inside with me but everyday I would sleep with him and keep him warm and feed him but I think he was just to sick to survive as he was out there for who knows how long without any food or water.. He ended up dying in my hands and .... man this sucks ... umm he ended up dying in my hands and I just sat there crying like I had known him for all my life. I buried him with my clothes that I wore so he wouldnt be alone -_-...

People if you see animals that need your help please do what you can. Some of them will give you unconditional love and a reason to keep going if you ever feel down. I help knowing that even if I cant do much I can at least make their last moments comfortable and give them love they might not have ever had.

Shout out to Mom for being a shining example of what I strive to be :)

Sorry I sorta ranted lol but I love animals lol

Collie puppers from an old newspaper dispenser (fucking bastards)..gave her to my neighbor who had two dogs. She lived for 16 years. Pigeon my neighbors kid shot out of the shy. Couldn't fly and our neighborhood had lots of cats that would pop up at sundown..

In early high school my class went on a camping trip to an island a few hours out of the city. Only park rangers live there but there's a fair few tourists and whatnot there on any given day. When the ferry arrived, we were informed that ~50 pilot whales had become stranded on the beach that morning, and so we joined in on the rescue.

There were about 60-70 volunteers helping out on the island, so I obviously can't take credit for any specific whale, but about 20 of them survived.

Qasiel

Helped nurse a sparrow back to health when it was abandoned as a kid. Made sure its mum wasn't around, took it home and looked after it. Let it go after about a week or so.

Helped a pigeon, too, when a cat tore its head open. I hate seeing animals suffer.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Once, when drunk, I got into a situation where I increasingly desperately tried to fend off a cat from killing a mouse that it had trapped into a small hole. Took over an hour before I got the cat to leave. It didn't even feel good – the cat just followed its instincts, and the mouse probably got killed by some other cat later on. It was probably as scared of me as it was of the cat. And so it repeats, nature. It's stupid, but I have never felt so hopeless in my entire life.

A bird flew into my house one time, so I left the window open and put some diced grapes on the window sill. It found it's way out, so I'll count that as helping.

My cats used to wound birds when I was younger so I'd help my mom bring them to an animal hospital.

Also when mowing the lawn, I try my best to avoid the bugs and frogs in the grass. I try not to kill ones that get in the house, too.

rataven

I used to live near some type of nature preserve with a busy road running through. I saved countless turtles from their imminent destiny as road kill while living there. It actually stressed me out to drive that road because I knew I'd see turtles lining the shoulder, whether squished already or about to make a run for it, and I couldn't not do anything about it.

Plus side is that many people in the area knew about the robust turtle population and most people were kind enough to stop and assist. In the two years I lived there I never saw anyone intentionally hit or hurt a turtle. Most people would stop to scoot them out of the way.

One of my cats is also a rescue. I found her as a kitten, about three weeks old, yowling loud enough to wake the dead. Couldn't be happier to have saved her. She's sleeping next to me as I type this, 10 years later. :)

My dog, a 60-ish lb German shephard mix, caught a cat once, while on leash no less. We were passing a bush that a cat was hiding in. I couldn't see it but my dog clearly detected it, charged into the bush and came out with a cat in its mouth and started shaking it. Fortunately, she's fairly obedient so I told her to "drop it" and she did, and the cat ran off. I didn't see any blood so I assume the cat was just shaken up.

Other than that I rescue spiders in the house and release them outside.

When I find a spider or a bug in my house, instead of crushing it I do this:

Ym8oaFg.jpg

and then I throw it out the window

Same, I even have arachnophobia but I still find it within myself save the little buggers, same goes for any other insects I happen to find inside (cept for mosquitoes, fuck those bastards!)

I've taken home several cats I've seen out in public and got them fixed/rabies shot and then adopted them out, it's soul crushing in it's own way to see them go, but I just can't ignore an animal who's anxiously pacing near the highway like most people would. Never see any dogs in my area though, just cats.

Top Bottom