• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Review - The Halo Killer

jaysius

Banned
Lets do a quick review of how many Halo games there are and how many Haze games there are.

Quiet the KILLER APP there.

It was an ok game, largely forgettable.

Resistance 1 and 2 were great, 3 sucked alot they tried to make the scope wider than it deserved and it was a muddled mess.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Animated GIF

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
More like the free radical killer. Kinda ironic, they made this game to make money for TimeSplitters 4 and it backfired hard.

All I want is another TimeSplitters goddammit.

I actually had lots of fun with this game in coop, bought it and played through all difficulties with a friend in a few days back in the day, fun game and thats all that matters for me

Concern

I remember downloading the demo and after about 5 minutes deleting this garbage. I was curious what was such a "Halo killer" about it lol

sainraja

I enjoyed playing Haze in co-op with my friend and I found the story concept somewhat interesting where you are playing as a character who works for an organization only to learn later they are not the good guys (I am forgetting a lot and I don't think they executed that part that well or fully committed to it?).

Gaming publications dubbed Killzone (not Resistance) as the Halo killer and they did that most likely to fuel system wars (which some people are still willing to get into lol). The Killzone franchise can stand on its own and don't think it needs to be compared to Halo (the only thing they share is the sci-fi universe.)

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Free Radical was never the same after their team split up. Some groups work because of each other and they were one of them, because the minute you took out a missing ingredient or two something just felt off.

I remember when people kept asking for Timesplitters 4. It probably would have been a mess depending on which team did it.

Codes 208

I still remember the day this game was announced as a ps3 exclusive (it was originally going to be a multi-plat before Sony banked on it with exclusivity.)

Dane

I still remember the day this game was announced as a ps3 exclusive (it was originally going to be a multi-plat before Sony banked on it with exclusivity.)

Was it? Tought it became exclusive because they had cancelled the X360 and PC versions shortly before, as if it was a warning of how bad it was.

this game was utter shit
Games like this got craploads of press and other like MAG which was fucking awesome slipped through the cracks

But either way all of those franchises are in bad shape at the moment.
Halo included, no less. I liked them all for what they were, but Resistance is dead and buried, killzone is MIA and presumed dead, and Halo is moving around like a beat up old hooker.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The graphics were bad, the shooting sucked, and the driving sections were atrocious. Hey, remember the Koᴙn tie in? No? That's right, because it didn't fucking matter.

The game wasn't good, the hype was a lie.

this game was utter shit
Games like this got craploads of press and other like MAG which was fucking awesome slipped through the cracks
MAG was on the cover of Game Informer with plenty of hype. The publisher didn't market it well, that's their own fault.

Last edited:

Butch_0451

Let’s be honest Halo didn’t need a Halo killer, it just kind of did that slowly to itself. Let’s hope Infinite turns it around.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Aside from all the Fortnites and BR games that came out last 5 years, this series probably killed off half the shooter franchises out there. Love or hate COD, but got to admit the games are pretty good, smooth to play, and have fast and easy to use UI. And for years it was the only 60 fps shooter series on consoles.

Call-of-Duty-through-the-ages-2300558.jpg

LMJ

As is most often the case, Haze is a great idea destroyed by a tight schedule, unrealistic expectations and of course shit head producers getting in the way...

A sad watch actually

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I love how many Halo Killers there have been. It all stems from Sony Soy crew getting jel back in the day, they couldnt wait for Killzone, I remember people chatting shit like it was a sure thing it would end Halo "lolzor your Gaylo and brick box are dead bruv". Dont get me wrong Im a fan of Killzone series but ony 2 was realy great and even still that was a clunky slog. Then came Haze and we had that shit all over again, now Halo isnt the same as it used to be, with the likes of COD,Rainbow ect, but its the 1 thats still about from back in the day.

bender

What time is it?
Killzone (PS2) was the Halo Killer. Haze was the Free Radical Killer. Sadly, Killzone didn't kill Guerilla Games. 343 Industries has come the closest to the aspirations of Killzone.

Last edited:

jhjfss

Aside from all the Fortnites and BR games that came out last 5 years, this series probably killed off half the shooter franchises out there. Love or hate COD, but got to admit the games are pretty good, smooth to play, and have fast and easy to use UI. And for years it was the only 60 fps shooter series on consoles.

Call-of-Duty-through-the-ages-2300558.jpg
Wasnt 2004 united offensive?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
When everyone realized Haze sucked, we had multiple meltdowns on this forum.

What is the deal with Haze avatars on PSN?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gamers taste in games changed.

Halo was at it's biggest when shooter fans still loved sci-fi settings. That's why Sony made KZ and Resistance. MS got Gears up and running in 2006.

All the WWII stuff dented sci-fi, but boots to the ground modern warfare kinds of games trampled all those alien sci-fi games into the toilet. Doom, Unreal, Quake, Halo, KZ all dead.

Interestingly, bright colours and quirky sci-fi can still work. Fortnite, Overwatch, Destiny etc... all have tons of gamers. But those legacy kinds of sci-fi games hardly anyone cares about anymore.

Top Bottom