• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Cancels “Westworld” After Four Seasons

bitbydeath

Probably for the best.
Shame what they did to it after season 1, I don't think I've ever seen a show fall off such great heights before.

HBO says in a statement: “Over the past four seasons, Lisa and Jonah have taken viewers on a mind-bending odyssey, raising the bar at every step. We are tremendously grateful to them, along with their immensely talented cast, producers and crew, and all of our partners at Kilter Films, Bad Robot and Warner Bros. Television. It’s been a thrill to join them on this journey.”

Fermbiz

Gold Member
5i6DVZr.gif

Kabelly

season 4 had cool moments but the finale wasn't that satisfying. i always felt it was the wrong choice to have the most of the escapees from the park be Delores clones. full cyborg takeover was what i was thinking would happen. they sorta got there in seaon 4 and was building up to it until they did more clone stuff.
i think they didn't know what to do when they left.

Fbh

Yeah it's probably for the best.
S4 wasn't too bad, if nothing else it was a significant improvement over S3, but at this point the show is too far gone.

At least it didn't end on a massive cliffhanger like Raised by Wolves.

Kacho

Gold Member
What happened to this show? Everyone was gushing about it and then no one mentioned it again. Last I heard anything about it, Jessie from Breaking Bad joined the cast.

I believe drinker did a video on season 3 and criticized it for awful writing. Particularly the strong female trope.

Bragr

Banned
I think I remember this. They finally got out and had to break back in or something. I was like
WYoakRb.gif
The showrunners had no idea what to do after season one, as it was clearly built for one season. So in season 2, they ran around as fugitives, and in season 3 three they broke into a prison to break out of it again, to die in season four, to come back again alive in season 5. They were also recruited into "the company" (secret cia illuminati shit) to be secret spies along the way.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man, this sucks. But tbh, its their fault for making that awful season 3. Season 4 was excellent but instead of ending it they punted it for another season.

Still, several major characters saw their arcs end this season so not too bad i suppose.

Bragr

Banned
What happened to this show? Everyone was gushing about it and then no one mentioned it again.
It had a solid first season, with some really cool plots and good actors, people loved the idea of the show, but they had no idea how to progress the show in a way that makes sense. Imagine watching Terminator 1 and 2, and then watching one of the new spin-offs that flopped. That's how it felt, the writers didn't know how to continue building this world. It lost all its fans incredibly quickly.

Ionian

They fucked up season 2 and it never recovered.

Season 1 had me interested, season 2 ... I thought nawwww. Never watched the others.

It was too much repeating. Will we get answers? LOL, NO!

Just lazy writing. Oh this person is dead? Shame. WTF they're back alive again? The writing was on the wall in season 2.

Was just stupid and insulted the audience, just no stakes. I never watched 3 or 4, glad now I had spotted it in 2.

Became so convoluted without a pay-off I couldn't even name a moment. Which is a real shame as it had so much potential.

Well apart from the lab breakout, that needs a vid with Benny Hill music. Was comical.

Valonquar

Finding out both Westworld and Raised by Wolves were both canceled on the same day in the same thread is some repugnant shit goddammit. HBO has a bad habit of started good stories and then abandoning them though so not sure why I'm still surprised every time. Still bitter about Carnivale. Deadwood at least had enough decency to get damn near the entire original cast back.

I thought the first season was plodding pretentious bullshit, even though I liked the McPoyle they cast. And that's the season that apparently YOU PEOPLE seem to like so
Power Rangers Reaction GIF

Finding out both Westworld and Raised by Wolves were both canceled on the same day in the same thread is some repugnant shit goddammit. HBO has a bad habit of started good stories and then abandoning them though so not sure why I'm still surprised every time. Still bitter about Carnivale. Deadwood at least had enough decency to get damn near the entire original cast back.
Yeah, Carnivale... right where it left off... ouch... also Rome for me.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Probably for the best.
Shame what they did to it after season 1, I don't think I've ever seen a show fall off such great heights before.

Jonathan Nolan left didn't he? I tried watching season 2 and just couldn't get into it. Season 1 was stunning.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Season 1 was great. Season 2 was like watching the architect scene from the Matrix on loop. Season 3 was forgettable. Season 4 was pretty good and understandable for the most part.

natjjohn

Season 1 was so top tier made the supreme quality drop in season 2 all the more obvious. I forced my way through it, but it was so sad. Couldn’t even muster interest after that

mortal

Gold Member
Season 1 was the only truly great season.
Season 2 was adequate, but everything after that was dogshit and the writing took a huge nosedive. This is for the better imo.

PhaseJump

Banned
Probably for the best.

This:

p11201946_b_h10_ad.jpg

Watch season 1 and stop. It's some of the best television ever. Something like a good Stephen King novel adaptation.

Followup seasons completely demolish it. Silly and fucking stupid.

Last edited:
the show jumped the shark in season 3. The story should've never left the parks. There were already signs in season 2 that the writers are in way over their heads. Season 1 was great but it was really just a fluke.

Tams

Gold Member
Speaking of cancelled shows. Was Jack Ryan cancelled on Prime?
Nope, got a whole new season coming out on the 21st of December.

I too thought it might get the axe as it frankly was quite cheap and tacky (though oddly appealing). Going by the trailer for the third season's comments though, people really liked it.

Elysion

Banned
The first season was incredible. But season 2 was already a huge letdown in comparison; I had no interest in the show after that. Turning Dolores into a goddamn terminator was just ridiculous lol; it makes me wonder if they changed writers after the first season or something.

the show jumped the shark in season 3. The story should've never left the parks. There were already signs in season 2 that the writers are in way over their heads. Season 1 was great but it was really just a fluke.

I agree. Imo they should’ve gone the Assassin’s Creed route, where each new season takes place in a different park (feudal Japan, middle ages, ww2, etc), with a mix of old and new characters, and with self-contained stories that are specific to each park/season, but with an overarching plot in the background. That’s what I thought the show was gonna be when we saw glimpses of different parks in season 2; it had the potential to be a huge cultural phenomenon like GoT imo.

Jennings

Season 1 was fun and very interesting. And I'll always be thankful for that season introducing me to Thandie Newton's utterly fantastic naked 50 year-old body, god damn. But everything after season 1 was a mess. Some folks enjoy season 2, but it wasn't for me.

StueyDuck

not surprised, the show became a steaming pile of dog shit very quickly after season 1 (which in and of itself was way overrated by most)

Top Bottom