• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO has five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in development [GRRM & Bloys updates]

Don't know if I'll bother. To me Westeros isnt that interesting, certainly not as interesting as other fantasy worlds.

The reason why the show is so popular is because of the characters not the world its based on. There isn't anything in series that makes me go "wow I would really like a show based on this!" Maybe the war between the Children of The Forest and the First Men, but that would be treading grounds that are already being explored in Game of Thrones.

My money's on an adaption of the Dance of Dragons, a massive civil war that happened about 110 years or so before the "current time" in the setting. There would be dragon battles and some good drama. It's a conflict on a scale that would easily match the existing story, and it would likely end up very compelling.

If they did go that route, we'd probably see one character we know from the show, but he wouldn't be recognizable (or appear under the same name) anyway.

Sethista

My vote is on the doom of valyria.

There is so much we dont know about the reasons why those volcanoes exploded, the entire history of that is fascinating.

Also, the children of the forest vs the first men. But that is too much like the got we have now, everyone against the WW, so I dont know.

I can't imagine a GOT show that isn't an adaptation of the novels being very good.. twofold if d and d are behind it.

There were some great added scenes but like 90% of the show's problems came due to fanfiction.

This is going to happen though no matter what it ends up being.

No way HBO is not gonna milk Dem thrones cash cow till it's good and dead.

Mortemis

Banned
I'd love to see the height of Valyria, but that shit would probably be too expensive, with dragons everywhere.

Not much I'm really hoping for. Guess some real good writers to tackle these.

Socivol

I'd love to see the height of Valyria, but that shit would probably be too expensive, with dragons everywhere.

This is what I really hope it is. I want them to explain why it finally fell.

My vote is on the doom of valyria.

There is so much we dont know about the reasons why those volcanoes exploded, the entire history of that is fascinating.

Also, the children of the forest vs the first men. But that is too much like the got we have now, everyone against the WW, so I dont know.

Eh.

I like how the world has mystery. Keeps things interesting. I don't need to see every detail spelled out on screen.

I'm tempted to skip these once the main series is over.

snap

Banned
Not Dunk & Egg

Not Robert's Rebellion

Maybe:
  • Aegon's landing (this would be boring imho)
  • Blackfyre Rebellion
  • Children of the Forest/First Men
  • Some Essos Event
I understand not wanting to do Robert's Rebellion but I wish they did Dunk & Egg if only because they already have something good to work off of instead of starting from scratch and relying entirely on the talent of whoever's the showrunner.

She mentioned that those who read the books or watched the series will go: "oh that!"

GRRM already confirmed it won't be Robert's Rebellion. So the only storyline that's mentioned repeatedly is Aegon's Conquest.

I think we'll see a small prologue about the doom and then onto Aegon's conquest. I don't think there's enough material for long series. I think 1-2 seasons should cover it.

Mortemis

Banned
This is what I really hope it is. I want them to explain why it finally fell.

I'm a little interested in seeing the doom, but more into just seeing all the drama between the valyrian houses with their dragons all around.

Whatever it is, I'm not really interested in seeing more Westeros, so I hope it's in Essos/Valyria, or even Sothoryos where the brothers are at I think.

besada

Banned

I think they're likely to do something with the Children of the Forest and the First Men. Maybe not War of the Dawn, where the white walkers first appear, but maybe leading up to it, or during the war between the Children and the First Men, when the Arm of Dorne is flooded by the Greenseers.

Mortemis

Banned
I think they're likely to do something with the Children of the Forest and the First Men. Maybe not War of the Dawn, where the white walkers first appear, but maybe leading up to it, or during the war between the Children and the First Men, when the Arm of Dorne is flooded by the Greenseers.

I can't remember, were the giants involved in the war between the first men and the children? It'd be cool to see more of them, but idk I think that event is kinda boring.

I'd rather see the andal invasion of westeros, which still has a lot of the children involved.

televator

Whatever we get, I hope at least one of them has some of those glorious dragons in play. Best visual depictions of Dragons of all fucking time on GoT. The Black Dread in particular would be exciting as fuck to see.

adj_noun

Whatever we get, I hope at least one of them has some of those glorious dragons in play. Best visual depictions of Dragons of all fucking time on GoT. The Black Dread in particular would be exciting as fuck to see.

At least this big, plz.

Aegon_on_Balerion.jpg

Tubie

Blackfyre Rebellion (I would love to see Bloodraven on TV) or the Dance of the Dragons seem to me the ones with the highest chance of happening.

You can maybe do a show about Valyria's history and it's doom and end the show with how the Targaryens survived the doom and Aegon's conquest. But I don't see how you can make that interesting to anyone aside hardcore fans of the books.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Probably going to be a Dance of Dragons, when in truth it should've been Robert's Rebellion. RIP Battle of the Trident. What a waste.

Blackfyre Rebellion (I would love to see Bloodraven on TV) or the Dance of the Dragons seem to me the ones with the highest chance of happening.

You can maybe do a show about Valyria's history and it's doom and end the show with how the Targaryens survived the doom and Aegon's conquest. But I don't see how you can make that interesting to anyone aside hardcore fans of the books.
I think the Doom makes sense because you can dance around the Armageddon bits until the very very end and just keep the political intrigue and backstabbing that people love about GoT.

Make it about Asshai and the lands beyond. The five forts, etc. We haven't heard shit about that.

Obviously, they're going to do a show about the Age of Heroes, when magic was actually around, the children still lived, etc. Right? Can't imagine them ignoring this.

But I really want to know more about the Essos lands East of Qarth and The Mother of Mountains(Dothraki home/headquarters). We only hear vague whisperings of Asshai and beyond, and most of that is just to make characters like Milasandre and the other Red woman(can't remember her name, but she's only important in the books, saw her once in the show I believe where she asks Jora if he'll betray Dany again, she shows up in the books a few times magically to tell Dany vague prophetic things).

Also, let's not forget pre-doom Valeria. That's a big one.

So:
Age of Heroes/early Westeros
Pre-Doom Valeria
Eastern Essos

Maybe something about west of Westeros? People love the Starks. One of them tried to travel over the Sunset Sea and never returned. He probably found an American-esque Continent, if Westeros is the England to Essos' Europe/Asia.

We need more dope ass magic shit. I want to see the fields of Ghost Grass around Asshai, massive hordes of dragons treated like packs of dogs in a highly advanced Valerian civilization, wars between children of the forest and the first men followed by those two groups teaming up against the Andals. There's so much to this universe. Please don't fuck it up, thanks.

Apt101

So I've read that GRRM ruled out Dunk and Egg, or Robert's Rebellion.

An article I read earlier stated that it will involve magic and fantastical elements. And that it will involve events that show viewers should know about.

I don't think HBO will OK a budget that would be needed to do The Dance, seeing how they seem to have to skimp throughout most seasons now - with the most popular TV show pretty much ever. Probably not even The Doom. Would the events of Asshai and the Shadow be relevant to show viewers?

So I think it will be Brynden Rivers story as he becomes the The Three-Eyed Raven. His story is actually pretty engaging, and would involve the
Blackfyre Rebellions, him warging and seeing past and future events, coming to The Wall with maestar Aemon, etc. And they could include a scene or two with Dunk and Egg, without it actually being a DaE show.

Spoiled because I don't know how much book talk is being tolerated ITT.

Tubie

So I've read that GRRM ruled out Dunk and Egg, or Robert's Rebellion.

An article I read earlier stated that it will involve magic and fantastical elements. And that it will involve events that show viewers should know about.

I don't think HBO will OK a budget that would be needed to do The Dance, seeing how they seem to have to skimp throughout most seasons now - with the most popular TV show pretty much ever. Probably not even The Doom. Would the events of Asshai and the Shadow be relevant to show viewers?

So I think it will be Brynden Rivers story as he becomes the The Three-Eyed Raven. His story is actually pretty engaging, and would involve the
Blackfyre Rebellions, him warging and seeing past and future events, coming to The Wall with maestar Aemon, etc. And they could include a scene or two with Dunk and Egg, without it actually being a DaE show.

Spoiled because I don't know how much book talk is being tolerated ITT.

Absolutely, and if they find the right actor, Bloodraven could be one of the best characters HBO has ever put on TV.

They won't do any of what I'd actually want from a spin off.

Ulthos and Sothoryos the 2 most intriguing places in the world

Some choice quotes about Sothoryos that make it interesting
Jaenara Belaerys flew her dragon, Terrax farther South than any man or woman had ever gone before, seeking the boiling seas a steaming rivers of legend, but found only endless jungles, deserts and mountains she returned to the freehold after three years to declare that Sothoryos was as large as Essos "A land without end"
The Sothoryi are big boned creatures, massively muscled with long arms and sloped foreheads. Huge square teeth heavy jaws and coarse black hair. Their broad noses suggest snouts and their tick skins are brindled in patters of brown and white that seem more hoglike than human
Besides the savage Brindled Men, particularly the ghouls and cannibals from the deep jungles, Sothorys is home to many fatal diseases, including blood boils, green fever, dancing plague, sweetrot, bronze pate, the Red Death, greyscale, brownleg, wormbone, sailor's bane, pus-eye, and yellowgum.[5][8] The Zamoyos and other streams are home to crocodiles and swarms of carnivorous fish capable of stripping a man's flesh in minutes. The continent is also swarming with stinging flies, venomous snakes, wasps and worms that lay their eggs beneath the skins of horses, hogs, and men alike. Basilisk Point is full of the eponymous animals, some of which are twice the size of lions. The forests south of Yeen are also said to be the home of apes that dwarf the largest giants, capable of killing elephants with a single blow. Farther south, in the Green Hell there are reports of white vampire bats that can drain the blood of a man in minutes, tattooed lizards that run down their preys and rip them apart with long curved claws on their hind legs, snakes fifty feet long, spotted spiders, and the most terrible of all predators: wyverns

Ulthos is entirely unexplored. Only appearing on one map. Never spoken of in any book. But it exists.

If neither of them I'd like something dealing with The Five Forts, The Black Oily Stone and the transition from Yi Ti's Great Empire of the Dawn to the Golden Empire of Yi Ti.

The God Emperors of Yi-Ti and the fall of The Bloodstone Emperor and the Rise of Har Loi. They could even have a firey version of the white walkers. The demons who live in the Mountains of the Morn and beyond Asshai. The reason the Five Forts was reportedly built.

More realistically give me a show that follows the Kingsguard under Aerys II

Lord Commander:
Ser Gerold Hightower
Members
Ser Arthur Dayne
Ser Oswell Whent
Ser Jonothor Darry
Ser Barristan Selmy
Prince Lewyn Martell
Ser Jaime Lannister
Ser Gwayne Gaunt
Ser Harlan Grandison

A young Tywin Lannister as his hand. You get to do all the flashback stuff with Ned and Robert and end with the rebellion but the story focus is the kingsgaurd.

A Bryden Rivers story would be nice but it would have to be the generation prior

I'd actually prefer seeing the Reyne-Tarbeck Rebellion to Robert's Rebellion.

I want to see an adaptation of young Tywin in all of his terrible glory. Probably wouldn't happen outside of an anthology series, unfortunately.

We're not doing Dunk & Egg. Eventually, sure, I'd love that, and so would many of you. But I've only written and published three novellas to date, and there are at least seven or eight or ten more I want to write. We all know how slow I am, and how fast a television show can move. I don't want to repeat what happened with GAME OF THRONES itself, where the show gets ahead of the books. When the day comes that I've finished telling all my tales of Dunk & Egg, then we'll do a tv show about them... but that day is still a long ways off.

We're not doing Robert's Rebellion either. I know thousands of you want that, I know there's a petition... but by the time I finish writing A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, you will know every important thing that happened in Robert's Rebellion. There would be no surprises or revelations left in such a show, just the acting out of conflicts whose resolutions you already know. That's not a story I want to tell just now; it would feel too much like a twice-told tale.

Oh my sweet summer child...

Xero

Glad roberts rebellion is off the table. Its literally the least interesting setting for a show, since we know everything about it essentially.

I don't think it's very realistic to hope for a story that features tons of magic and exotic elements. Those aren't the parts of Game of Thrones that people love the most. It's the interpersonal drama (between human beings, so let's leave the Children of the Forest off the table), the action, and the dragons that draw viewers. HBO knows this, and will likely go for a concept that capitalizes on all those aspects.

With that in mind, and assuming that we'll be seeing a major part of Westeros history as opposed to something at a smaller scale, there are only three realistic options I can think of: Aegon's Conquest, the First Blackfyre Rebellion, and The Dance of the Dragons. As mentioned previously, my money is on the latter. The former might feel too similar to what's going on in the current season of GoT. The Blackfyre Rebellion would be a great choice too.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think any speculation would have to consider the potential special effects requirements. The Dance of Dragons would be neat, for example, but that would he expensive as hell.

roytheone

I would love if one of these spinoffs was focused on kings landing and all the stories you could tell in there. We haven't had that many scenes showing the day to day life of the residents there so there are a lot of possibilities.

Drazgul

Man I was hoping for Roberts rebellion.

As much as I'd like that too, if we're going to get just one show I'd prefer it to be something we don't already know the ending to - that way all the Red Wedding moments will be more impactful.

I'd want to see a new take on things...

• The formation and rise of the Iron Bank. Who they backed, how they dealt with debtors etc.
  • Night King - the early years. Show how he developed his powers, became a badass and formed an army.
  • Melisandre is an old crone that's been around for a long while. Her origin story would be more interesting than most of the previous rulers.

I'd want to see a new take on things...

• Night King - the early years. Show how he developed his powers, became a badass and formed an army.

The books actually go into his background a bit in the form of myth and legend, but it doesn't match what the TV show has gone with. While there is war, love, and drama involved in the book version, it's not a large enough story that I think HBO would be interested in it. And almost all of it would take place at the Nightfort, one of the abandoned castles along the Wall.

Top Bottom