• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO has five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in development [GRRM & Bloys updates]

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Read the OP,

goddammit George. Is the show going to be finished before we get TWoW?

Even the heat death of the universe will happen before the books are finished.

Nipo

I'm never going to get to read TWoW am I? My nephew, who is going to college this year, loves game of thrones. He was amazed that i read the first book before he was even born. He couldn't imagine waiting 20+ years for a book series to finish.

Jag

I'm never going to get to read TWoW am I? My nephew, who is going to college this year, loves game of thrones. He was amazed that i read the first book before he was even born. He couldn't imagine waiting 20+ years for a book series to finish.

I started in 1996. Before my son was born who loves the show. Bought the first book from the Borders books in the Twin Towers NYC.

gun_haver

If they do any spin-offs I hope they actually don't have any magic in them at all, or at least one of them doesn't. I still like the show but the focus on ice magic and dragons is eating it alive at this point. Dial it waaaaay back to season 1 levels.

gun_haver

Want a world exploring series. I wanna see more of Essos and the rest of the unknown world. What's west of Westeros?

Yeah I'd like to see something like that, actually. A series about exploration is something I've thought about before, but on Earth. On a fantasy planet we know pretty well would be cool, too. I've spent a chunk of hours just trawling wikis for info on what else is there out there except Westeros.

It's too bad that Dunk & Egg is off the table because I'd be happy with that. I wonder if GRRM or someone else is retaining the rights to that for now.
Mmm the second part of season 7 airing in 2019 right? Isn't it a bit too early to discuss spinn offs already?
Looking like Fall 2018 for S8 at the moment. Given the production ramp up that's necessary for something this complicated (presumably a large scale series involving big cast, locations, period costuming, a decent number of effects, etc....), they need a lot of time on the front end before it airs. Plus they likely want a decent amount of time to plan out what they're going to make and there are at least four options on the table.

Plum

HBO said that it's four a couple of weeks ago. (I'll update the thread title.) Keep in mind that they're not going to make all of these. It's essentially a bakeoff where they'll take a look at the scripts and figure out how to proceed from there.

That crushing realisation that we won't get the Great Westerosi Bake Off starring Hot Pie and Arya as the two hosts.

Jag

It's too bad that Dunk & Egg is off the table because I'd be happy with that.

Seems like he was pretty clear he doesn't want to shows to retell existing stories. Based on the mess going on now between the books and the show, it does make sense.

I'd love to see the Blackfyre Rebellion because it has the potential for lots of civil war drama between houses. You would also get to see younger versions of many of the characters from Dunk and Egg.

Seems like he was pretty clear he doesn't want to shows to retell existing stories. Based on the mess going on now between the books and the show, it does make sense.
That's a good point and something he laid out in his blog post.
I'd love to see the Blackfyre Rebellion because it has the potential for lots of civil war drama between houses. You would also get to see younger versions of many of the characters from Dunk and Egg.
Did they ever explicitly mention the Blackfyre Rebellion on the show? I can't remember it coming up, but there are a lot of things that they slipped in during other conversations.

Vyrance

I hope they do a show about the Empire of Yi Ti in the far east of Essos, since their Five Forts might guard against a sort of White Walkers of their own. A show far removed from Westeros anyway, deal with Yi Ti or Asshai.

Did they ever explicitly mention the Blackfyre Rebellion on the show? I can't remember it coming up, but there are a lot of things that they slipped in during other conversations.

I don't think they did. This is why I don't think it will be. The comment was that show watchers would recognise it immediately.

So if it isn't Robert's Rebellion, it has to be Aegon's Conquest or The Long Night. Those are the only 2 time periods mentioned in the show that casual viewers would recognize.

Jag

I don't believe so, but some characters that we saw and heard about in the show were involved in it.

Servbot24

Banned
Booooooo

I just want to finish a series and have it be done.

...admittedly not that valid of an opinion considering how good Better Call Saul is.

Booooooo

I just want to finish a series and have it be done.

...admittedly not that valid of an opinion considering how good Better Call Saul is.
I mean it seems like the central stories of
this generation of humans trying not to be wiped out by ice-Sauron
and the political bickering will end. It isn't like they're doing direct sequels or prequels, based on that list.

The show has gone out of its way to avoid any hint or mention of the Blackfyre family or its rebellions, to the point where they deliberately skipped a major plot from the books that may relate to it. The Blackfyre family might as well not exist in the Game of Thrones universe, as opposed to A Song of Ice and Fire.

Vic_Viper

If these a prequels without current characters, does that mean we wont see younger versions of any characters from the show at all? So no Robert's Rebellion?

This is why GRRM cant finish his books lol. Hes too busy printing cash at HBO.

Yen

Would love to see a series that develops the rest of the world - Yi Ti, 'East' Essos, Sothoros (sp?) - but you would expect this would require a POC majority cast and that probably ain't happening.

Tuck

Would love to see a series that develops the rest of the world - Yi Ti, 'East' Essos, Sothoros (sp?) - but you would expect this would require a POC majority cast and that probably ain't happening.
Unless they go the white saviour route

If they do any spin-offs I hope they actually don't have any magic in them at all, or at least one of them doesn't. I still like the show but the focus on ice magic and dragons is eating it alive at this point. Dial it waaaaay back to season 1 levels.
I’m total opposite. Been waiting on magic since episode 1 and started to worry that they removed all of it. I always viewed GoT in the same way as Sword of Berzerk. High realism getting completely upended by the coming of magic and subverting all expectations. I always imagined GRRM looking at tradition D&D and playing with the idea of throwing high fantasy in the hyper real world and slowly working our way to the same end result.

I was just looking at a cover to an old dragon lance book and smiling because GoT has finally and painstakingly gotten us to the point where we have our archetypical adventurer group. I love it.

molnizzle

I just hope it's some event where we don't explicitly know exactly how it happened. Something really old, or at least very far away.

They couldn't even make one good show and now they're making four more?

Damn, I miss the old HBO.
giphy.gif

Worst first post ever.

thsantos

There's so many stories they can tell. The arrival of the first men on Westeros and the war that follow it (including the first long night), the Doom of Valyria... If this is "milking the series", then please, do it!

Phased

If they're not doing Roberts Rebellion the most logical choice would be Valyria and the doom, going into why that fell.

They could even transition into Aegon's Conquest with a slight time jump.

Top Bottom