• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO has five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in development [GRRM & Bloys updates]

Sephzilla

They couldn't even make one good show and now they're making four more?

Damn, I miss the old HBO.

vq4Xt24.gif

Tubie

Aegon Conquest
Dance of the Dragons
Age of Heroes
Dunk & Egg

TONS of good source material for at least 4 prequels.

If only 1 gets a pilot, I hope it's Dunk & Egg.

Edit: forgot about Robert's rebellion.

SpaceWolf

Banned
There's something about George devoting even more of his time towards writing a television spin-off of his books, as opposed to actually getting Winds of Winter done that strikes me as darkly hilarious.

That book is literally never coming out.

EDIT: Wow, apparently he'll be writing for two of the spin-offs.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm okay with this. That's like the only show I really watch on a regular basis.

ryseing

If they want to get semi-obscure with it and redeem Dorne at the same time, show the guerrilla warfare that led up to Dorne being brought in by marriage instead of conquest.

I don't think we're going to end up with 4 different spin-offs here. The quotes in the OP sound like they're merely exploring different concepts to see what will work or not. They may or may not pursue all of them, but I wouldn't expect them to give the go-ahead on more than one or two.

old

George is like that procrastinating student who keeps putting off working on his term paper. He'll find anything else to do except finishing book 6.

Sesha

I expected this. I still think they'll make a Dance of Dragons movie, or a series of movies. We'll see.

And this is okay, I didn't want to read Winds of Winter anyway, heh heh...

:(

More from the THR story:
The four takes are being written by Max Borenstein; Jane Goldman and Martin; Brian Helgeland; and Carly Wray and Martin. Of the four (obviously not counting Martin's involvement in two of them), none have any current ties to the HBO fantasy drama. Game of Thrones showrunners Dan Weiss and David Benioff are not currently attached to write on any of the four. The duo, however, will serve as executive producers on any of the four takes that move forward. Martin will serve in the same capacity as well. Weiss and Benioff are finishing up the seventh season of Thrones — bowing July 16 —and are in the midst of writing the and preparing for the eighth and final season of the fantasy drama series. Both will continue to be kept in the loop in all things Thrones.

For now, the four projects are in the development stage. There is no timetable for any of the four potential projects as HBO wants to get the follow-up to Thrones — its highest-rated and most valuable franchise in its history — right. The cabler will evaluate what they have when all the scripts are in and then make decisions.
It'll be a while before we see any of this, and they'll pick and choose what they want. I'd be surprised if we see more than 1-2 of these unless they're set up as mini-series.

Jigorath

Banned
There's something about George devoting even more of his time towards writing a television spin-off of his books, as opposed to actually getting Winds of Winter done that strikes me as darkly hilarious.

That book is literally never coming out.

EDIT: Wow, apparently he'll be writing for two of the spin-offs.

It's clear at this point that he doesn't actually like writing these books, and would rather be doing anything else.

Black_Sun

Some of six? I'd say the entirety of six is better than anything in five outside of Hardhome. And the last two episodes of season six I'd put up against anything in the series.

Episode 10 was good for season 6 but episode 9 was all spectacle. Little in the way of actual good writing.

Fucking amazing.

I want to see the battle between the first men and the children of the forest.

I want to see The Long Night (the first arrival of the others)

And Bobby's Rebellion.

Maybe the fall of valaryia??

Some of six? I'd say the entirety of six is better than anything in five outside of Hardhome. And the last two episodes of season six I'd put up against anything in the series.

I'd say some of the writing in season 6 still had some "uhh" moments for me. They continue to not really know what they're doing with Jamie anymore, Arya's plot felt like all it led to was
now she has the ability to use the face changing ability
and everything else was for waste. It was definitely a step up from Season 5 and I loved the Miguel Sapochnik directed episodes. But other than the one off episodes like Hardhome, BotB, Seasons 1-4 are still higher quality to me.

Spoiler for BotB
It was annoying as shit that Sansa withheld that info about the Vale army during the season, just so we could have a "Oh no they are gonna die Jk THE VALE TO SAVE THE DAY" ruins an absolutely breathtaking episode IMO. Even if she apologized the next episode, it really felt dumb and just made Jon look like even more of an idiot.

Other stuff:
The Daenerys plot in those first 4 episodes was pretty rough. Tyrion and Varys in season 6 also felt like their season 2 story line but bad

Fercho

Of all the awesome back story that this world has I want to see Robert's rebellion the most. Maybe a little bit before that during the mad kings ruling period.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I really hope one of those four concepts is post-Thrones in the timeline. I don't know how I feel about a ton of prequel material and nothing beyond the finale.

Still, I'm a huge fan of the series and this delights me.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
More from the THR story:It'll be a while before we see any of this, and they'll pick and choose what they want. I'd be surprised if we see more than 1-2 of these unless they're set up as mini-series.

I don't see a scenario where Robert's Rebellion doesn't get picked up. Not only does it allow them to continue making more Game of Thrones but it also lets them bring back beloved characters and expand upon the stories that we've briefly heard about but are incredibly important to the world.

Tubie

Robert's rebellion has the added advantage that it connects to a lot of the current day characters and houses, and maybe even solve a few mysteries the current show might not be able to.

Rhaegar would be an amazing character.

tumblr_n0wj61hiNg1slik4to1_400.gif

Seriously though, I'm down with more GoT. With how successful the show is I always expected HBO to continue it either in movie form or another series.

I think some people need to read the article. There are not going to be four prequel series. There are four potential projects that some material will be written for, and HBO will decide later which, if any, will proceed to production. There's next to no chance, given the cost involved, that more than one show will be produced at a time.

Episode 10 was good for season 6 but episode 9 was all spectacle. Little in the way of actual good writing.

This is very, very wrong in my eyes. Just the progression of the battle itself was written very well.

Also as long as we're getting our takes out here I'll say that season 6 was probably the best season of the show so far.

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
The Greyjoy Rebellion
The Dance of Dragons
Invasion of the Andalls
And a collection of short stories from Mushroom

Some of the accounts from a World of Ice and Fire are just ripe for being expanded on. Dunk and Egg is not one of them though...

Black_Sun

Can't agree with this. Ignoring the spectacle of the battle, the storytelling of the comedown afterwards was great.

This is very, very wrong in my eyes. Just the progression of the battle itself was written very well.

Also as long as we're getting our takes out here I'll say that season 6 was probably the best season of the show so far.

Nah. The writing of the episode doesn't make sense once you spend time to actually think about it.

Sansa withholding info from Jon to force a battle and make the ending more dramatic is poor writing, Jon's justifications to fight with minimal men against a well-garrisoned castle doesn't make sense, Ramsay using a bow to fight Jon in close-quarters combat doesn't make sense, Ramsay shooting dying Wun Wun in the face instead of Jon doesn't make sense and personally, the show trying to parallel Sansa getting revenge on Ramsay with Cersei getting revenge on the nun was when I started to cut myself on how edgy they were trying to make Sansa.

But it looked great.

I get that people want more GoT, but since we know the ultimate fate of a lot of these people it's just not something I can get that invested in.

Top Bottom