• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO has five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in development [GRRM & Bloys updates]

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Suck on these books!
RtMiOos.gif

Draconian

lol at Martin being involved with spinoffs of a series he will never finish. What a slap in the face to fans of the books.

Nah. The writing of the episode doesn't make sense once you spend time to actually think about it.

Sansa withholding info from Jon to force a battle and make the ending more dramatic is poor writing, Jon's justifications to fight with minimal men against a well-garrisoned castle doesn't make sense, Ramsay using a bow to fight Jon in close-quarters combat doesn't make sense, Ramsay shooting dying Wun Wun in the face instead of Jon doesn't make sense and personally, the show trying to parallel Sansa getting revenge on Ramsay with Cersei getting revenge on the nun was when I started to cut myself on how edgy they were trying to make Sansa.

But it looked great.

Ramsay shooting Wun Wun absolutely makes sense. He's exactly the type of guy who would want to brag about taking down the giant, so he took the opportunity. Sansa's actions to me are purposely inconsistent. She's trying to be someone she's not, and I think there's a purposeful juxtaposition with Cersei who does it well and Sansa who doesn't.

I wonder what the respective production budgets of those shows will be. Game of Thrones's is... I want to say the biggest in the history of the medium?

y'know, on 420 I was chillin with a posse and someone said "i like how they're ending it instead of milking it on to keep making money" and i was like "yeah i like how they're ending it too but they are definitely going to do more with the IP considering how popular the show is...won't abandon it"

OldRoutes

Ramsay shooting Wun Wun absolutely makes sense. He's exactly the type of guy who would want to brag about taking down the giant, so he took the opportunity. Sansa's actions to me are purposely inconsistent. She's trying to be someone she's not, and I think there's a purposeful juxtaposition with Cersei who does it well and Sansa who doesn't.

Sansa is also significantly younger and got literally thrown into all of this without her consent.
Cersei took it.

I think Sansa is a great character and I'm super intrigued to see what they'll do with it.

Nah. The writing of the episode doesn't make sense once you spend time to actually think about it.

Sansa withholding info from Jon to force a battle and make the ending more dramatic is poor writing, Jon's justifications to fight with minimal men against a well-garrisoned castle doesn't make sense, Ramsay using a bow to fight Jon in close-quarters combat doesn't make sense, Ramsay shooting dying Wun Wun in the face instead of Jon doesn't make sense and personally, the show trying to parallel Sansa getting revenge on Ramsay with Cersei getting revenge on the nun was when I started to cut myself on how edgy they were trying to make Sansa.

But it looked great.

Basically this except I'm less lenient toward Sansa not telling Jon anything. The inconsistencies were purposeful but very naive and dumb. I find it hard to believe that an inexperienced Sansa would still manage to do something like that.

Black_Sun

The thing is that Ramsay could kill them both. Jon first and then the giant. Ramsay's an expert marksman and that giant is an easy target.

The thing isn't that Sansa is purposefully inconsistent. She's inconsistently written.

She's a player, she's a pawn, she's a victim, she's a player, she's a pawn, she's a victim. Her character is all over the place.

It doesn't help that Sophie Turner promises every season that this is the season when Sansa finally becomes a player. Show Sansa is a Cersei-wannabe at best.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't understand why they wouldn't just do a 10 or 20 or however many years later sequel instead of a prequel?

I'm struggling to think of a prequel that I liked besides a good chunk of what was shown in the Godfather part 2 and that was shown alongside a sequel.

Prequels also lack tension since the outcome is known.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't understand why they wouldn't just do a 10 or 20 or however many years later sequel instead of a prequel?

I'm struggling to think of a prequel that I liked besides a good chunk of what was shown in the Godfather part 2 and that was shown alongside a sequel.

Better Call Saul is how you do a good prequel.

Eidan

Knowing the outcome doesn't mean that we can't be entertained and thrilled by the journey. Millions of people watched and revered The People v. OJ knowing everything that happened.

Sean C

Sansa's actions to me are purposely inconsistent. She's trying to be someone she's not, and I think there's a purposeful juxtaposition with Cersei who does it well and Sansa who doesn't.
Nothing in the series or its promo materials supports that reading. Indeed, D&D refer to it as Sansa getting exactly what she wanted, and it ends on her smiling triumphantly. Moreover, if any of this was purposeful, there would be actual consequences for her ridiculous actions, which logically would lead to her being blamed by Jon for causing hundreds/thousands of deaths. Instead, she's credited with victory, for doing something that literally anybody could have done with the information she had.

NandoGip

I wonder why we haven't gotten a really good GoT game. We've gotten close twice, with the miss that the Telltale game was, and then the mod version of that conquest game. Kings of something or other ? IDK

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Can't wait to fall in love with Prince Rheagar, only to watch his chest get caved in by that fat fuck Robert :(

Each of the writers is exploring various time periods set in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire universe. The screenwriters for the different potential projects are Max Borenstein (Godzilla, Kong: Skull Island); Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Secret Service) and George R.R. Martin; Brian Helgeland (LA: Confidential, Robin Hood); and Carly Wray (Mad Men, The Leftovers) and George R.R. Martin.

lmao

- A couple other tidbits via EW:
How much of HBO's Thrones development slate will actually end up on the screen is unknown. It's possible one or more titles could be produced as a miniseries instead of a regular series. We're told a variety of different combinations and options are on the table depending on how the scripts look upon completion. But the end goal is to find at least one title that can successfully carry the flame of the GoT franchise. ”There is no set timetable for these projects," HBO said. ”We'll take as much or as little time as the writers need and, as with all our development, we will evaluate what we have when the scripts are in."

The thing is that Ramsay could kill them both. Jon first and then the giant. Ramsay's an expert marksman and that giant is an easy target.

The thing isn't that Sansa is purposefully inconsistent. She's inconsistently written.

She's a player, she's a pawn, she's a victim, she's a player, she's a pawn, she's a victim. Her character is all over the place.

Yeah, but Ramsay is egotistical, so he would absolutely go for the more notable target first. He's not afraid of Jon, but taking down the last giant is a legendary accomplishment.

And again, I think you are just interpreting Sansa differently. She's written inconsistently because her character is supposed to be inconsistent. She's all over the place because she's supposed to be in the world of the story. She's young and trying to do things she's not ready for or at times willing to do. She's never truly been in control, now she always wants to be. She's blinded by that, and it leads to inconsistent decision making.

Like you are blaming the writing for things that are completely justified and logical given the story up to this point.

Black_Sun

Because GRRM has all the backstory and story they need for prequels in many eras.

Doing a 20 year sequel would be akin to Dragonball GT because it's an area GRRM isn't planning to tell stories on and neither does he have a story outline to help them out.

Besides for all we know the ending ends on a note where you can't do a sequel or a good one anyways.

SpaceWolf

Banned

It doesn't stop there!

Each of the writers is exploring various time periods set in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire universe. The screenwriters for the different potential projects are Max Borenstein (Godzilla, Kong: Skull Island); Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Secret Service) and George R.R. Martin; Brian Helgeland (LA: Confidential, Robin Hood); and Carly Wray (Mad Men, The Leftovers) and George R.R. Martin.

He's working on two of the mothers!

No need for 3-4 series, just give me one awesome Game of Thrones anthology series. Touch on prequel stories, fill in some of the gaps of the main series, delve into some of the Dunk & Egg stuff. Give me an episode with a day in the life of Wun Wun.

Dunk & Egg sounds great in theory but would be too dry for the audience after 8 seasons of dragons and white walkers. I'm assuming they'd add more sex and violence but it wouldn't be enough.

Dance Of Dragons would be pretty fucking expensive (16+ dragons) and they wouldn't have any well fleshed out characters to rely on. There certainly are badass characters (chief among them Aemond Targaryen) but the ASOIAF novels provide far more material to work off, for characters.

Robert's Rebellion would also be expensive, but dragon-less. Martin seems rather hesitant to fully flesh everything out about it, so I kinda think he'd veto this.

Robot Pants

RIP, HBO.
Let me know when you finally figure out 4K, and when you can make a decent streaming app.

No but four Game of Thrones spinoffs is a MUCH better idea.....

I would only say this if the season 7 leaks had actually been full of good stuff. But they weren't.

I really don't care if the show's ending is garbage, at this point I just want closure.

They can tell me a meteor struck Westeros and everyone died except Gendry since he kept rowing and crossed the event horizon.

SpaceWolf

Banned
If HBO is so keen to milk Game of Thrones for all its worth, why did they order an extra short final season for the main series?

RIP, HBO.
Let me know when you finally figure out 4K, and when you can make a decent streaming app.

No but four Game of Thrones spinoffs is a MUCH better idea.....

I'm pretty sure the teams getting stuff like this in the works would be completely different from the people working on their apps.....

Time to finally pitch my spin-off buddy comedy series starring Rennick and his partner as they bumble their way through Westros before ultimately being drafted into the Lannister Army. Like a medieval Stripes if Bill Murray got eaten by a giant wolf at the end.

If HBO is so keen to milk Game of Thrones for all its worth, why did they order an extra short final season for the main series?

They didn't really order that. D&D have said that's really all they have left. They couldn't stretch it out any more than that even if they wanted to.

bigJP

pretty cool, guess it means books are never coming out

they need to show old valyria and asshai and all the nonsense that happeend their
even the whole first men and children of the forest
roberts rebellion...
age of heros

lots of backstory to go through hopefully it turns out good
guessing though they will need martins input though

My gut reaction is to not be interested in this, but when I think about it, I'd totally watch a show that got deeper in to the history of GoT.

Black_Sun

Yeah, but Ramsay is egotistical, so he would absolutely go for the more notable target first. He's not afraid of Jon, but taking down the last giant is a legendary accomplishment.

And again, I think you are just interpreting Sansa differently. She's written inconsistently because her character is supposed to be inconsistent. She's all over the place because she's supposed to be in the world of the story. She's young and trying to do things she's not ready for or at times willing to do. She's never truly been in control, now she always wants to be. She's blinded by that, and it leads to inconsistent decision making.

Like you are blaming the writing for things that are completely justified and logical given the story up to this point.

Her character isn't supposed to be inconsistent. It's just badly constructed. The show producers do not know what to do with Sansa.

I mean what was the point of her storyline in season 5, for example? How did she grow as a character?

Anyways you're looking too deeply into this. The writers are a lot more incompetent than you know. O

I mean these are the dudes that wrote X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Troy.

Top Bottom