• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO has five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in development [GRRM & Bloys updates]

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If the quality of writing in the spin offs it's going to be like season 7 i would not like to watch them.

The spin offs will all be written by completely different people, so the quality of season 7 won't be indicative of any of them.

Every time this guy writes an update it sounds pompous as fuck to me.

What he's saying is that he could say what the spin offs are, since he does know, but as he's not authorized by HBO to do so, he won't.

Too many dragons, the budget would be out of control.

Agreed. Any series set in Valyria (assuming it's the Valyria of the books, with streets made out of lava and massive towers that are hundreds or thousands of feet tall, with tons of dragons flying around and roosting on them) would require a budget equal to or larger than Game of Thrones. Which I don't see happening. If one of these makes it on the air, I don't doubt that it will be HBO's biggest show, but I doubt it'll come close to the popularity of Game of Thrones, and I don't see HBO giving them a budget quite so large.

- EW: Game of Thrones writer Bryan Cogman developing a 5th prequel series
EW can exclusively report that Thrones co-executive producer Bryan Cogman is penning a drama series follow-up to the Emmy-winning blockbuster. Cogman developed the project by working closely with author George R.R. Martin, who cryptically referenced the existence of an additional unconfirmed prequel on his blog months ago.
There are no specific story details yet available for any of the new GoT projects. But Martin has ruled out tackling Robert’s Rebellion (noting fans already know all the major plot points from that war anyway) or mining his Dunk & Egg tales (as they are still being written).

Also: All the prequel projects are set before the events in Game of Thrones and do not involve any members of the current cast (the term “spinoff” is frequently used to describe these projects though it’s not technically correct).

Like all TV projects in development, none of the prequels are guaranteed to air. HBO programming president Casey Bloys has said that he might only eventually greenlight one of them. The executive also recently said that any Game of Thrones prequel won’t air until at least a year after the flagship series concludes. GoT is expected to return for its final season in either late 2018 or 2019. So we’re probably looking at 2020 until we see a follow-up GoT title.

Zyae

He wrote unbowned unbent unbroken which is the worst in the entire series but the rest of his writing credits on the show are good-fantastic so good to hear.

Link.

There’s a fifth Game of Thrones prequel series in the works, and the project’s writer is a familiar name to the fantasy drama’s fans with a massive amount of Westeros experience.

EW can exclusively report that Thrones co-executive producer Bryan Cogman is penning a drama series follow-up to the Emmy-winning blockbuster. Cogman developed the project by working closely with author George R.R. Martin, who cryptically referenced the existence of an additional unconfirmed prequel on his blog months ago.

Since GoT showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have declined to be involved with the prequels (and with Martin already involved two of the other four), Cogman is arguably the next-best possible addition to the prequel squad from the show’s current creative team.

Cogman has been with Thrones since the first season when he was brought on board as an assistant to Benioff and Weiss. While the GoT showrunners are the show’s hands-on chief executives who pen most of the scripts and occasionally direct as well, Cogman has written plenty of stellar episodes along the way and ranks as the show’s third-most prolific writer. Some of his hours include season 7’s intricately plotted “Stormborn,” season 4’s “The Laws of Gods and Men” (which featured Tyrion Lannister on trial) and season 3’s “Kissed by Fire” (which included Jaime Lannister’s bathtub confession to Brienne).

In a 2011 interview with Westeros.org, Cogman discussed in some detail how he joined the series and described the first (of many) times that he read Martin’s debut A Song of Ice and Fire novel. “I immediately fell in love with the book from page one, as most people do,” Cogman recalled. “It’s probably the most fun I’ve ever had reading anything. It’s inspired storytelling, that’s all there is to it, and the characters are so rich, the themes are so varied. I love it.”

Cogman was also the rare GoT producer to wade into the Twitter tempest to interact with fans, but quit the social network a month ago to focus on the show’s final season (and, unbeknownst to fans, this prequel project).

So what is Cogman’s series about?

There are no specific story details yet available for any of the new GoT projects. But Martin has ruled out tackling Robert’s Rebellion (noting fans already know all the major plot points from that war anyway) or mining his Dunk & Egg tales (as they are still being written).

Also: All the prequel projects are set before the events in Game of Thrones and do not involve any members of the current cast (the term “spinoff” is frequently used to describe these projects though it’s not technically correct).

Like all TV projects in development, none of the prequels are guaranteed to air. HBO programming president Casey Bloys has said that he might only eventually greenlight one of them. The executive also recently said that any Game of Thrones prequel won’t air until at least a year after the flagship series concludes. GoT is expected to return for its final season in either late 2018 or 2019. So we’re probably looking at 2020 until we see a follow-up GoT title.

border

HBO's show lineup is as follows:

Fear the Game of Thrones
Until the Game of Thrones
Before the Game of Thrones
Preceding the Game of Thrones
The Young Tyrion Chronicles

Geist-

So they're letting people just make pitches before picking one right? They're not literally going to make 5 GoT prequels right?

Edit:
Like all TV projects in development, none of the prequels are guaranteed to air. HBO programming president Casey Bloys has said that he might only eventually greenlight one of them. The executive also recently said that any Game of Thrones prequel won't air until at least a year after the flagship series concludes. GoT is expected to return for its final season in either late 2018 or 2019. So we're probably looking at 2020 until we see a follow-up GoT title.
Right.

komplanen

So they're letting people just make pitches before picking one right? They're not literally going to make 5 GoT prequels right?

No matter what they are doing right now, they most likely won't start shooting more than one at a time and see how it goes.

I'd watch this for sure

tumblr_otas62XavD1uhta47o2_500.gif

Loxley

Edit:

Right.

I highly doubt HBO could afford to produce five Game of Thrones spin-offs at once. Maybe two at the most.

As others have said, they likely want a Walking Dead scenario where they have programming for the whole year, switching between two different shows.

Fear the Game of Thrones

Ugh, the inevitable outcome of GoT series finale.
I'd probably watch these until they turn to shit

Also, reading these titles reminded me of a band I used to listen to; Fear before the march of flames. Now I'm listening to mid 2000s hardcore

The prequels better be Dunk & Egg. I couldn't give two shits about Robert's Rebellion.
I believe I read somewhere that the prequels do not feature any younger versions of characters in the current series.

I don't believe they'll be able to help themselves, but I at least don't think we're getting Robert's Rebellion.

gutshot

Who is developing the other 4? Dave Hill?

Each of the writers is exploring various time periods set in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire universe. The screenwriters for the different potential projects are Max Borenstein (Godzilla, Kong: Skull Island); Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Secret Service) and George R.R. Martin; Brian Helgeland (LA: Confidential, Robin Hood); and Carly Wray (Mad Men, The Leftovers) and George R.R. Martin.

pa22word

It's going to be kind of hilarious when whatever they end up with ends it's first season and the book series still hasn't come up with another book.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Jim Henson Company is also now developing a muppet based Game of Thrones spin off.

Faddy

Banned
did they learn nothing from Fear the Walking Dead

Yes. They are going to finish Game of Thrones before they air any spin off.

Having two pointless meandering stories with no clear objective in sight was a large problem for Fear. Like why should I care about the travails of some other bunch of idiots when they can't/won't resolve whatever is happening in the main show.

snap

Banned

Fear the Game of Thrones

Rise of the Game of Thrones
Dawn of the Game of Thrones
War of the Game of Thrones
Planet of Thrones
End of the Game of Thrones

edit: should just call them
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
The Windows of Winter

just to fuck with people

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yes. They are going to finish Game of Thrones before they air any spin off.

Having two pointless meandering stories with no clear objective in sight was a large problem for Fear. Like why should I care about the travails of some other bunch of idiots when they can't/won't resolve whatever is happening in the main show.

I don't think they want people who hate Walking Dead to watch the spin off.

I would love to see something set in "far future" Westeros with stuff akin to modern day technology, but with remnants of the world we know from GoT. Seems unlikely they'd ever do something like that, but it would be cool.

border

I imagine GRRM isn't going to let them do any kind of sequel series. I imagine it's already embarassing enough that he has to let the TV show finish his story.....it'd be even worse if they went on to go beyond the end of A Song of Ice and Fire.

I imagine GRRM isn't going to let them do any kind of sequel series. I imagine it's already embarassing enough that he has to let the TV show finish his story.....it'd be even worse if they went on to go beyond the end of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Would be interesting if they just had a show in another continent other than Essos or Westeros.

I would actually kill for this. Seriously
giphy.gif

Seriously
giphy.gif

GRRM on the update: And Then There Were Five...
But now at last all the deals are signed, and it can be told. BRYAN COGMAN has come on board to pen the fifth of the successor shows. James Hibberd broke the news on ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/20/game-thrones-bryan-cogman-5th-prequel/

Bryan Cogman should need no introduction for any GAME OF THRONES fan. He's been part of the show since the beginning... since before the beginning, actually, since he was first hired as assistant to David Benioff and D.B Weiss way before the series got on the air, before even the pilot had been filmed. From those humble beginnings, he advanced to staff writer, to story editor, to co-producer and producer and supervising producer. Less formally, he has also been GOT's "Keeper of the Lore," the guy who knew the canon better than anyone (except me, though sometimes I am not even sure of that). He's written more episodes of GAME OF THRONES than anyone but Dan & David... including some of our very best ones. If D&D have been the kings of Westeros for these past seven seasons, Bryan Cogman has surely been the Prince of Dragonstone.

I'd love to tell you more about the series Bryan will be working on... but we haven't done that for the other four successor shows, so we shouldn't for this one either. All in good time.

I can say that, like the other pilots, it will be a prequel rather than sequel, a successor rather than a spinoff. Bryan's series will be an adaptation, and one that will thrill most fans of the books, I think, set during a very exciting period of Westerosi history. And I'll be working with him every step of the way; we're going to be co-creating the show.

Meanwhile, Jane Goldman, Brian Helgeland, Max Borenstein, and Carly Wray are all at work on the other four successor shows. I've been working with them as well (some more closely than others), and I'm excited by some of the ideas they're coming up with. HBO should have a wealth of material to choose from. (And that's not even counting the four weird-ass series concepts I've come up on my own, just for the hell of it. There are eight million stories in the naked city, and maybe ten times as many in Westeros and the lands beyond the narrow seas).

You should not expect to see all five shows, though, at least not immediately.. much as I might love the idea, HBO is not about to become the GAME OF THRONES network... but we could possibly see two or even three make it to the pilot stage, with one series emerging on air in 2019 or 2020... and the others maybe later, if they come out as well as we all hope. Then again, maybe... but I should not speculate, you folks get WAY too excited. Truth is, no one knows. Least of all me.

For now, suffice it to say that Bryan Cogman has signed on, and we're thrilled.

Valhelm

contribute something
I would love some Essos shit but they better get some Asian and Eastern Euro writers on board to keep it from becoming just another parade of Orientalist stereotypes

Moff

So they're actually going to release 5 spinoffs?

no, it's in the quote, HBO will choose 2 or 3 that will make it to pilot stage

Bryan's series will be an adaptation, and one that will thrill most fans of the books, I think, set during a very exciting period of Westerosi history

that's very interesting, maybe roberts rebellion or dung and egg after all. what else could be there to adapt?

Top Bottom