• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Max going all Out - Green Lantern & Adam Strange Shows, new Dune Show, Animated Gremlins, Boondocks revival, Anime, SouthPark, Lovecraft Show etc

GV82

For the new HBO Streaming Service.

I took most of this list from Variety but it seems that they have missed out on a lot of shows such as a Robert Zemeckis Show Tooned Out - LooneyToons Animated & Live Action Show, New Looney Toons shorts, the above mentioned Green Lantern & Adam Strange, Jellystone which appears to be a Hanna Barbera Show which collects all the characters

Other New Shows just plucked out some random ones of names of shows or showbiz people I am familiar with, there’s tons more I am familiar with on the list but I didn’t want to copy paste the entire Article

More shows Listed here at the original Article

Original Series and Movies
  • “Dune: The Sisterhood”: An adaptation of Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson’s book based in the world created by Frank Herbert’s book Dune, from director Denis Villeneuve.
  • “Tokyo Vice”: Based on Jake Adelstein’s nonfiction account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat starring Ansel Elgort.
  • “Adventure Time”: Four all-new one-hour specials set in the world of “Adventure Time” are coming to the streamer, the first two in 2020.
  • “Rydell High”: A “Grease” spinoff series set in and around the world of Rydell High, the school which Danny and Sandy attended in the original movie.
  • “Gossip Girl”: A sequel series to the iconic CW show is in the works. Set eight years after the original’s finale, it will follow a new generation of New York private school teens who are introduced to the social surveillance of the Gossip Girl site.
  • “Rules of Magic”: A prequel to “Practical Magic,” the project is set in 1960s New York City and follows three troubled siblings — Franny, Jet and Vincent Owens — who wrestle with “abnormalities” that have kept them isolated.
  • “The Boondocks”: HBO Max ordered a two-season revival from original series creator Aaron McGruder.
  • “Gen:Lock”: The Rooster Teeth animated show was recently for a second season, which will appear on HBO Max.
  • Ellen DeGeneres Projects: HBO Max ordered three projects from the wildly popular daytime host to series, namely the design competition show “Ellen’s Home Design Challenge,” dating show “First Dates Hotel,” and 2D animated children’s series “Little Ellen,” as well as putting a docu-series from her titled “Finding Einstein” into development.
  • “Raised By Wolves”: RidleyScott’s serialized sci-fi series will now launch on HBO Max, as opposed to TNT where it was originally set up.
  • Greg Berlanti Projects: The prolific Berlanti will produce an initial four movies in the young-adult genre for HBO Max.

As well as the vast library of previous HBO content, including of course “Game of Thrones” (and its recently announced spinoff), “Sopranos,” “Sex and the City,” “Deadwood,” “Westworld,” “Watchmen,” etc., WarnerMedia also provided highlights of HBO originals coming to the service that have previously been announced for 2020 and 2021.
  • Stephen King’s “The Outsider”: a dark mystery starring Ben Mendelsohn, produced and directed by Jason Bateman.
  • “Lovecraft Country”: A horror series based on a novel by Matt Ruff, written and executive produced by Misha Green, and executive produced by Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams.
  • “The Nevers”: Joss Whedon’s new science-fiction series starring Laura Donnelly.
  • “Perry Mason”: The classic legal drama for a new generation, executive produced by Robert Downey, Jr. and Susan Downey, with Matthew Rhys in the title role.
  • “Run”: The series, starring and executive produced by “Fleabag” creator Phoebe Waller Bridge, follows Ruby, a woman living a humdrum existence who one day gets a text inviting her to fulfill a youthful pact promising true love and self-reinvention, by stepping out of her life to take a journey with her oldest flame.

Older Shows & Movies

Licensed Content
  • Friends”: All 236 episodes of the show, created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman, which aired for 10 seasons on NBC from 1994-2004, are coming to HBO Max. It previously has been on Netflix, where it’s one of the most-streamed series on the service. The show made stars out of the ensemble cast — Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer.
  • “The Big Bang Theory”: All 279 episodes of “Big Bang” will be available on HBO Max when it launches next spring, after the platform won a highly competitive bidding war for the rights back in September.
  • “The West Wing”: The classic Martin Sheen-fronted political drama is moving from Netflix to HBO Max, with all of its more than 150 episodes streaming upon launch.
  • “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”: The sitcom created by Andy Borowitz and Susan Borowitz, which aired for six seasons on NBC from 1990-96, is another popular sitcom coming to HBO Max. The show revolved around Will Smith as a street-smart teenager from West Philadelphia who is sent to move in with his wealthy aunt and uncle in their Bel-Air mansion after getting into a fight in his hometown.
  • “South Park”: Among the announcements at WarnerMedia day was that all 23 seasons of the award-winning animated satire will stream exclusively on HBO Max in June 2020, followed by three brand new seasons which will debut on HBO Max 24 hours after each episode premieres on Comedy Central.
  • “Rick and Morty”: All three seasons of the Adult Swim animated comedy will be available on HBO Max from launch, with new seasons continuing to premiere on Adult Swim before moving to HBO Max.
  • “Pretty Little Liars”: The drama was developed by I. Marlene King, based on a series of books by Sara Shepard, which aired for seven seasons on ABC Family/Freeform from 2010-17. The series follows the lives of five high school girls whose clique falls apart after the leader of the group, Alison, goes missing.
  • CW Shows: HBO Max will be the exclusive streaming home for CW dramas produced by Warner Bros. starting with the fall 2019 season, including the DC Entertainment series “Batwoman,” and “Katy Keene” (a spinoff of “Riverdale”). Note, however, that CW shows going forward will be available on HBO Max beginning 30 days prior to the TV premiere of the next seasons of those shows.
  • Studio Ghibli: The entire Studio Ghibli library will be available on a U.S. streaming platform for the first time, after WarnerMedia struck a historic deal with the revered Japanese animation studio.
  • “Sesame Streeet”: The iconic kids show’s 50-year library, as well as five new seasons of the show, are coming to the streamer.
  • BBC Shows: Programs such as “Doctor Who,” “Luther,” “Top Gear,” and the original version of “The Office,” will be on the platform, with future seasons set to stream after initially airing on BBC America.
  • DC Movies: A vast array of the DC movies collection will be available from launch, including the new Joaquin Phoenix picture “Joker.”
  • “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit”: All the “Lord of the Rings” and “Hobbit” features will be on HBO Max.
  • The Matrix, Conjuring etc including the new Movies once they hit streaming
As well as lots of WB Classic Shows & Movies from their Library, lots of Classic Looney Toons, Hanna Barbera Shows etc. I believe they have more Adult Swim Classics too.

Sorry about the formatting I am on a mobile device. I think the price is $14.99 per month.

Oh I just looked up the Lovecraft thing, it isn’t what I thought it was going to be, it’s based on this novel https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraft_Country_(novel)

Last edited:
The real android in Raised By Wolves is Ridley Scott. How else can you explain an 81 years old man directing 10 episodes in South Africa?
It has Ragnar as a space marine so it's gonna be great.

Nymphae

Banned
“Little Ellen,” as well as putting a docu-series from her titled “Finding Einstein” into development.

I wonder if this will be about back when Ellen was straight acting, or if it will anachronistically portray her as some super woke gay child Ellen. It will be the latter.

Also can't wait for this daytime talk show host/former stand up to present her findings on Einstein. I'm so tired of propaganda.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Lol, Green Lantern.
tumblr_n60dqtZKlt1qhd14co4_250.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
pretty dope. might have to sub for the Dune miniseries alone.

also why did it take so long before we got animated Gremlins?

tkscz

So whats the point of the DC subscription service if you put DC shows elsewhere? lol

The DC subscription also gets you their entire comic library and all the classic DC animated series and animated movies as well as community pages (which are mostly silent). Most likely it'll get integrated into HBOmax along with Boomerang, Adult Swim, and Cartoon Network's streaming services.

GreyHorace

I echo dorkimoe dorkimoe above. Why not on the DC Universe app? Perhaps they'll merge it with HBO's like some people suspect. Anyway, don't care for Green Lantern. But Adam Strange seems like a great premise for a show.

“Dune: The Sisterhood”: An adaptation of Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson’s book based in the world created by Frank Herbert’s book Dune, from director Denis Villeneuve.
Forgive me, but weren't Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson's prequels considered crap by fans? I can't see why they deserve a tv adaptation. Also, kind of jumping the gun a little bit when Denis Villeneuve's big screen version of the original book hasn't even come out yet. Though I have faith it'll be good, since Denis is directing it.

“Raised By Wolves”: RidleyScott’s serialized sci-fi series will now launch on HBO Max, as opposed to TNT where it was originally set up.
Interesting premise, though I'm not sold on Ridley Scott's involvement. But it stars my man Travis Fimmel, who was great in Vikings. May check it out.

“Lovecraft Country”: A horror series based on a novel by Matt Ruff, written and executive produced by Misha Green, and executive produced by Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams.
I'll admit, I'm no horror fan. But Lovecraft's brand of cosmic horror has always intrigued me. I especially loved Alan Moore's take and celebration of Lovecraft lore in his comics for Avatar Press. I'd prefer they did an adaptation of that rather than this novel they're adapting.

“Perry Mason”: The classic legal drama for a new generation, executive produced by Robert Downey, Jr. and Susan Downey, with Matthew Rhys in the title role.
My dad was big fan of the original series starring Raymond Burr. Don't know how they hold up today, as I'm pretty sure a lot of the legal stuff in the series was probably bullshit.

“South Park”: Among the announcements at WarnerMedia day was that all 23 seasons of the award-winning animated satire will stream exclusively on HBO Max in June 2020, followed by three brand new seasons which will debut on HBO Max 24 hours after each episode premieres on Comedy Central.
Yeouch. That is a big get for HBO. I was disappointed that Netflix only has the last 5 seasons.

Studio Ghibli: The entire Studio Ghibli library will be available on a U.S. streaming platform for the first time, after WarnerMedia struck a historic deal with the revered Japanese animation studio.
That is huge. Frankly speaking I've never liked how Disney handled the US release of Ghibli films.

Lovecraft Country was pretty dope. I've heard they're doing the obligatory gender-swap of one of the main characters. Whatever.

Dune is being handled by Denis, so that's an immediate win.

Hadn't heard of Animated Gremlins or Raised by Wolves. Both have me intrigued.

ymoc

Is this just US or Europe too?
I have HBO and HBO go, does this come included with the subscription or is it a separate thing (extra charge)?

thequestion

This has the potential to be my sole streaming service. DC universe, Lovecraft, HBO and new GOT- all my favorite things. A heavyweight fight between this and Disney, but Disney hates their fans so I’m going with Warner.

Top Bottom