• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[HDTVTest] PS5 VRR Goes Live Without System Update! But Sony Forgot to Do This.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) support has gone live on the Sony PS5, without needing a new system software update. We test out several supported (Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Dirt5, Devil May Cry 5) and unsupported games (Horizon Forbidden West, Cyberpunk 2077, Fortnite) for VRR on the PS5, and also highlight one key setting that Sony still hasn't added to the PS5.

Apparently the setting Sony ‘forgot’ to add was a ALLM On/Off toggle. 😏

Last edited:

kyliethicc

What's the setting?
to turn off ALLM

“PS5 needs ALLM! Great feature! Come on Sony please add this and make it automatic!”

Sony: “Ok we added Automatic Low Latency Mode.”

“PS5 needs to turn off ALLM! Bad feature! Come on Sony please get rid of this and make it manual!”

Sony: “Ok we got rid Automatic Low Latency Mode.”

“PS5 needs ALLM! Great feature! Come on Sony please add this and make it automatic!”

And on and on and on…

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Sony: “Ok we added Automatic Low Latency Mode.”

“PS5 needs to turn off ALLM! Bad feature! Come on Sony please get rid of this and make it manual!”

Sony: “Ok we got rid Automatic Low Latency Mode.”

And on and on and on…
Amazing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ALLM is just the universal forum standard to auto switch the TV into game mode. It’s the same thing that “auto picture mode” did on Sony sets.

So they don’t want game mode?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
He is 100% a piece of trash.

He was hacked and has 10x people going around impersonating him saying and doing awful things

Not gonna blame him for that some of these people are the same ones who attacked and lied about NeoGaf

The fake rumors people are spreading about him are trash but he seems like pretty cool tv reviewer dude

Last edited:

MikeM

He was hacked and has 10x people going around impersonating him saying and doing awful things

Not gonna blame him for that some of these people are the same ones who attacked and lied about NeoGaf

The fake rumors people are spreading about him are trash but he seems like pretty cool tv reviewer dude
He made a video telling people to kill themselves if they don’t agree with his take on Elden Ring which he later took down.

And yet you want me to believe those previous posts were “hacked” and not him? Then why are they still up?

The guy is a POS.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
He made a video telling people to kill themselves if they don’t agree with his take on Elden Ring which he later took down.

And yet you want me to believe those previous posts were “hacked” and not him? Then why are they still up?

The guy is a POS.

He has a video where he explains all of this check it out or if you want to keep taking him out of context go right ahead I like QTV but I'm not gonna defend him to the death is he perfect? hell no is he what scumbags like reviewtrashusa are making him out to be? hell no

I know a hate-train when I see one if QTV was half as bad as people said he was it wouldn't be needed don't want to derail the thread so I'll stop here

kyliethicc

wait, whats wrong with ALLM?
Sony supports it.

ALLM is just the universal forum standard to auto switch the TV into game mode. It’s the same thing that “auto picture mode” did on Sony sets.

So they don’t want game mode?
They want to be able to manually toggle game mode, exactly like you could on PS4/5 before Sony added full ALLM support. Funny because I saw Richard from DF mention the PS5’s lack of support for ALLM in like 5 videos. (It was on his officially provided Xbox spec sheet.) Soon as they add it - an automatic feature - they complain that it is indeed, automatic.

Last edited:

RafterXL

I can't get behind this. Black frame insertion is trash on OLED and ALLM is always on when I game.

The HUGE feature Sony actually missed with this update was a system wide 120hz setting instead of the system only utilizing it during a 120hz mode game.

Rea

Hi Quantum.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
What I find annoying is that I can’t see when VRR is active in a game. PS5 under Video Information only tells me that my display is VRR ready, my TV (Sony A90J) just has no Info screen where I could get VRR information from.

:(

SLB1904

Banned
I can't get behind this. Black frame insertion is trash on OLED and ALLM is always on when I game.

The HUGE feature Sony actually missed with this update was a system wide 120hz setting instead of the system only utilizing it during a 120hz mode game.
Damn your list got shorter pretty quick

Riky

$MSFT
On my LG at least you can turn off ALLM by HDMI port if you wanted to, I don't see why you would though.
Seems a petty complaint.

Last edited:

MadViking

On my LG at least you can turn of ALLM by HDMI port if you wanted to, I don't see why you would though.
Seems a petty complaint.
I prefer some games, especially 30fps, with post processing. Right now it is not possible to turn off ALLM on PS5 and this blocks the post processing on C1. So yes, I would like to have this option, just like on Xbox.

RafterXL

Damn your list got shorter pretty quick
If only you could read, you'd understand that this feature is actually responsible for the majority of my issues with Sonys VRR implementation. A system wide 120hz setting would also fix the problem the 48hz minimum in games that don't have a 120hz mode, and would also allow for LFC to work in every game.

Maybe you should spend less time being defensive about your toys and more time listening?

So, no, my list isn't shorter, but this is the domino that makes the rest fall over. They'd still have the problem with not supporting Freesync but, as I said, this is the *huge* feature is system wide 120hz.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned

The guy is a POS.
Thank god I have no idea what you all of you are talking about! Ignorance seems to be really blissful.

All those threads about that shitty MS VRR 🤣 now Gaf is littered with them, threads for compatible TVs, Compatible games , because it’s not system
Level 🤣😱 I thought this feature was crap .. Sony fans 🤡

Hey man the admins told me to give you something.

Ryan Gosling Jacob GIF

What is ALLM?
It's a TV feature that allows the console to tell it when a game is running, so that it switches to the lowest latency mode (usually Game Mode). That mode will have some greyed-out image processing settings since they can't be run without increasing latency.

Personally I don't care about those processing features on my CX but I have to run it out of Game Mode anyway because Game Mode has lower brightness and completely fucks the HDR

Last edited:
Top Bottom