• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDTVTest - The Best TV of 2021

kyliethicc

winner - Sony A90J
gLB79WO.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
winner - Sony A90J

if you don't wanna use it for Gaming that is... LG and Samsung are always the way to go if you actually wanna play videogames on your TV lol

Is this for gaming or just all-around?

all around. for gaming always go either for an LG OLED or a Samsung QLED (don't touch LG LED tvs, although i don't know how good their mini led tvs are)

Last edited:

Kuranghi

if you don't wanna use it for Gaming that is... LG and Samsung are always the way to go if you actually wanna play videogames on your TV lol

all around. for gaming always go either for an LG OLED or a Samsung QLED (don't touch LG LED tvs, although i don't know how good their mini led tvs are)

What would you say a 2021 LG OLED is doing better than a 2021 Sony OLED? Sony has 4K120 and VRR now so I'm not sure whats left different anymore. Input lag? Maybe the VRR range is better on LG, I'm not sure, do they support more types of VRR?

I think the overall image quality and motion system (not really relevant to gaming) is better on Sony so thats a big consideration for me.

The LG miniLED sets aren't good value because they are IPS panels, like the Samsung QN85A ("IPS-like" display). I've watched them a lot and black level, contrast and clouding is rubbish when compared to a VA panel set. I'd get a QN90/94A if you want a miniLED LCD.

DJ12

I've recently brought the Samsung QN95A 55inch Neo QLED and it's amazing. Best picture I've ever seen.

I really don't notice blacks being anything other than black. And usually watch movies with the lights off so if it was an issue I'd notice.

HDR though, really puts every other TV in the shade.

Really is a shame they don't support Dolby Vision though, as miss out on that on Disney +.

FeldMonster

This was an excellent video. Good methodology, great explanations, multiple categories....

I am likely to purchase a new 75" - 77" TV soon. I was originally thinking of an LG C1, as I hear that they are fantastic, but my family room has a lot of light and the interior lights can cause glare, so I am now leaning more towards the Samsung Neo QLED Q90A. Also, I do more than game on it: streaming, sports, cable, movies. I need a good all-rounder.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What we now need is OLEDs at 32" - 42" range. I know LG is releasing a 42" OLED early next year.
I need something for my PC.
Yes i know I can custom res a big screen....but come on just give us smaller sizes you dogs!

FeldMonster

Results
Disclaimer, HDTV test is in Europe so some of the TVs are not available in the U.S. or have slightly different designations.

Best Gaming TV
  1. LG G1
  2. Samsung QN95A
Best Home Cinema TV
  1. Panasonic JZ2000
  2. Sony A90J
Best Living Room TV
  1. Sony A90J
  2. Samsung QN95A
Best Overall
1. Sony A90J
2. Panasonic JZ2000

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dont buy Sony tvs. The X90H was awful and he was recommending it last year along with all other youtubers before it even got its HDMI 2.1 features. And thats the least of that TV's issues. Wifi drops outs, mic doesnt work, audio drop outs. That tv is a fucking mess.

Just buy LG OLEDs.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Dont buy Sony tvs. The X90H was awful and he was recommending it last year along with all other youtubers before it even got its HDMI 2.1 features. And thats the least of that TV's issues. Wifi drops outs, mic doesnt work, audio drop outs. That tv is a fucking mess.

Just buy LG OLEDs.

This.

Also HDTVTest (and anyone else that would recommend a sony tv this year) is a joke. For honest coverage, I stick with Thetechgiant/QUANTUM TV

As good as LG OLEDs are, Panasonic and Sony will always be there disputing the top on image quality, no surprise.
But unfortunately their OSs are so shitty IMO...

FMX

Sony hasn't fully supported 2.1 features yet so from a gaming standpoint it's not worth it. No VRR, no ALLM, etc.

elliot5

Is sony A90 really worth an extra £1200 over the LG G1?
Cannot imagine that's the case... Sony will have better image processing for movies and such, but that's a lot of dough for slight improvements. I play more games than watch movies so LG OLEDs for me until Sony gets their firmware kinks worked out then I'd reassess

Just buy LG OLEDs.
2017- *2020* sony tvs couldn't be beat.

*2020's X900h and A9S oled aside (dim brightness). Judging all their tvs based on x900h is wrong.

This year they fell of the wagon and hope they get back on top next year.

As much as I hate aspects of their XR tvs, you can't really beat A90J for hdr. Aside from a couple of Sony master series lcd sets.

But it is overpriced and Sony got a lot wrong with it.

Reactions: Rea

Aaron Olive

What would you say a 2021 LG OLED is doing better than a 2021 Sony OLED? Sony has 4K120 and VRR now so I'm not sure whats left different anymore. Input lag? Maybe the VRR range is better on LG, I'm not sure, do they support more types of VRR?

I think the overall image quality and motion system (not really relevant to gaming) is better on Sony so thats a big consideration for me.

The LG miniLED sets aren't good value because they are IPS panels, like the Samsung QN85A ("IPS-like" display). I've watched them a lot and black level, contrast and clouding is rubbish when compared to a VA panel set. I'd get a QN90/94A if you want a miniLED LCD.
You also have to consider price, the lg is cheaper by a grand for gaming vs Sony using the same panel.

Kuranghi

You also have to consider price, the lg is cheaper by a grand for gaming vs Sony using the same panel.

Yeah the A90J is stupidly priced imo, but I was talking about equivalently priced models, so it would be the A80J vs. the C1, not the A90J. The panel is the baseline and the software and image processing HW added by Sony is what makes the difference in IQ between an LG and a Sony.

So saying it has the same panel doesn't really mean much imo and its only £100 more for the Sony here in 55" & 65" and the 77" is the same price.

Reactions: Rea

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yeah the A90J is stupidly priced imo, but I was talking about equivalently priced models, so it would be the A80J vs. the C1, not the A90J. The panel is the baseline and the software and image processing HW added by Sony is what makes the difference in IQ between an LG and a Sony.

So saying it has the same panel doesn't really mean much imo and its only £100 more for the Sony here in 55" & 65" and the 77" is the same price.
Best Buy and NFM both made me deals on the Sony A90J, if you are paying retail for any high end TV's you are a fool. Prices are always negotiable when you get to these models. I think people forget that big ticket items like Fridges/TV's and high end speakers are just like Car's, you can haggle for them.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Right so the VRR update isn't out for the A80J then? I thought it came out with the X900H update, was that just the specific model then?

I can see why its annoying not having VRR on the Sony in that case. So buy the LG C1 or above if you want the smoothest motion in games with lower image quality than the Sony, but if you are playing PC games set up to avoid drops below sync cap or console games that perform well/aren't unlocked framerate then you can lose VRR and get better image quality with the Sony. You'll have slightly higher input lag that will be unnoticeable in most SP games but might make a difference for MP depending on how sensitive you are to lag.

Personally I would make the choice based on the VRR vs. the IQ and not the input lag difference as I think its not a big deal for most people, but you'd know yourself already if you need low lag.

TL;DR - Must have lowest input lag and smooth motion without having to tweak PC games as much to avoid drops below sync cap and generally smoother in console games = C1. Best image quality and sound/speakers = A80J. If you don't know what some of the things in the previous sentences mean and want the best gaming TV then buy the C1.

Edit - Added the A80J sound/speakers advantage, might be relevant if you are using it as a monitor.

Last edited:

ButchCat

Just picked up a Samsung QLED QN94A 55". As tempting as an OLED was I'm only a part-owner and I didn't wanna get blamed for any potential burns-ins besides it's sitting in a bright living room.

Last edited:
Just picked up Samsung QLED QNA94 55". As tempting as an OLED was I'm only a part-owner and I didn't wanna get blamed for any potential burns-ins besides it's sitting in a bright living room.

I've been gaming on my LG 65C7 OLED heavily since I got the XSX in May. No burn-in or even image retention at all, and that's with a 2017 C7 OLED. My TV has pixel shifting, and auto logo and static image dimming, and they work perfectly together. I, too, was afraid of burn-in, so I never played games on my OLED until this pass May, and I've been quite upset at myself for not trying it with my PS4 Pro earlier. These newer TVs today have even better burn-in mitigation tech than my 2017 C7.

Kuranghi

Best Buy and NFM both made me deals on the Sony A90J, if you are paying retail for any high end TV's you are a fool. Prices are always negotiable when you get to these models. I think people forget that big ticket items like Fridges/TV's and high end speakers are just like Car's, you can haggle for them.

In my experience in the UK you don't really haggle for TV prices that much, all the big retailers are price matched so maybe you could get £100-200 off of a such a high price TV (£3000+) but usually only by adding on other stuff in its place or doing it as a business transaction.

By "Retail" do you mean MRRP or the current price the TV is at when you go to buy it? Which would obviously be the same if its launch week.

In the UK TV prices drop as the year goes on (From release in May/July to clearance in April/May the next year unless they keep the model on) until it settles at a clearance price and then they sell off all the stock.

Pagusas

Elden Member
In my experience in the UK you don't really haggle for TV prices that much, all the big retailers are price matched so maybe you could get £100-200 off of a such a high price TV (£3000+) but usually only by adding on other stuff in its place or doing it as a business transaction.

By "Retail" do you mean MRRP or the current price the TV is at when you go to buy it? Which would obviously be the same if its launch week.

In the UK TV prices drop as the year goes on (From release in May/July to clearance in April/May the next year unless they keep the model on) until it settles at a clearance price and then they sell off all the stock.
I mean sticker/shelf price the store has it listed. Both Best Buy and NFM here have the price at $7999, I told both to make me a deal, after some back and forth BB came down to $6999 and free extended warranty/delivery and setup. NFM countered that deal with $6500 with an extended warranty, delivery and $400 in NFM gift cards.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Personally I find it rather important that a TV today has a good OS with all apps you might want, and I think Google TV quite clearly beats what LG has in that regard. Built in Chromecast for whenever there ISN'T a TV app is also something I wouldn't want to be without. I know many people think this doesn't matter at all, but if I'm gonna buy a new TV in 2021 I want it to do everything well, not just gaming. I'm not gonna connect external streaming boxes and shit. So while this stuff isn't more important than picture quality etc, it's definitely a factor for me.

(I currently have a 2017 Sony TV with Android TV, it has worked very well for me.)

Last edited:
Personally I find it rather important that a TV today has a good OS with all apps you might want, and I think Google TV quite clearly beats what LG has in that regard. Built in Chromecast for whenever there ISN'T a TV app is also something I wouldn't want to be without. I know many people think this doesn't matter at all, but if I'm gonna buy a new TV in 2021 I want it to do everything well, not just gaming. I'm not gonna connect external streaming boxes and shit. So while this stuff isn't more important than picture quality etc, it's definitely a factor for me.

(I currently have a 2017 Sony TV with Android TV, it has worked very well for me.)

I’d argue relying on any platform’s internal apps is a big mistake. I have a cheap TCL 5 series from 2017 that I love, despite it not being great in the PQ department, and have really enjoyed Roku OS. However, in the last year the updates have rendered the OS slow and bloated, and while it will be supported longer than your Samsung or Vizio TV, one day the updates will stop.

Going with a high end TV, the internal apps are irrelevant. I like being able to plug whatever modern box into an input and not be tied to an old OS running on an aging smart TV with whatever wimpy processor the manufacturer included.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I’d argue relying on any platform’s internal apps is a big mistake. I have a cheap TCL 5 series from 2017 that I love, despite it not being great in the PQ department, and have really enjoyed Roku OS. However, in the last year the updates have rendered the OS slow and bloated, and while it will be supported longer than your Samsung or Vizio TV, one day the updates will stop.

Going with a high end TV, the internal apps are irrelevant. I like being able to plug whatever modern box into an input and not be tied to an old OS running on an aging smart TV with whatever wimpy processor the manufacturer included.

I like not having to plug in external boxes. My 2017 Sony TV with their X1 Extreme processor (I think that's what it's called) still runs all apps well, with smooth 4K streaming. Why should I bother with an external device when I can just do it from my TV remote, fully integrated into the TV viewing experience?

Aaron Olive

True!!!

Reallink

I'm buying an 83" A90J this weekend :) Great to hear. Got it negotiated down to $6500.

If you got to negotiate the price, you shouldn't be buying a 83". You're paying literally double the price for 6" and some barely perceptible (in a side by side) processing advantages. It's a rich fool's buy, you could literally get this years 77" AND next year's 77" for less than a single 83". Makes no sense whatsoever unless you got so much money you simply don't give a fuck.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
If you got to negotiate the price, you shouldn't be buying a 83". You're paying literally double the price for 6" and some barely perceptible (in a side by side) processing advantages. It's a rich fool's buy, you could literally get this years 77" AND next year's 77" for less than a single 83". Makes no sense whatsoever unless you got so much money you simply don't give a fuck.

I don’t go down in size, this is replacing an 82” QLED, and I replace my flagship screens every 2-3 years. No money isn’t the issue, but I always haggle for everything. Also the difference between 82/83” and 77 is extremely noticeable. Before my 82 I had a 77 x940c, the increase in size was worth every penny and finally gave me that “woah” I had been chasing.

wether you are a billionaire or on your last penny, you should never pay more for anything than you have to. Money hasn’t been an issue for a long time, but even so I don’t just pay more than I need to for no reason, haggling is fun.

Last edited:
For gaming, you should really just buy a Samsung Neo QLED (mini-LED) and be done with it. Everyone claims burn-in doesn't exist until they get it themselves.

Top Bottom