• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDTVTest - The Best TV of 2021

Rea

Fully deserved. Their XR chip is the most advanced image processor in 2021. Best upscaling, best motion handling, best HDR Quality and also have top notch sound quality.
Out of the box color accuracy is also great.
If someone cares about image quality and for PS5 gamers, and don't care about other extra gaming features, then Sony Tvs are the best.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
48 inch is perfect. I have C1 LG.
People who think it’s too big, have not used it for 2 days for real. New monitor is always weirdly big at first and then you get used to it. I hope 48” model won’t die when 42 releases. I don’t want to downgrade :p

ABnormal

Being primarily interested in a home cinema use, and as a secondary use for videogames, I will always go for Panasonic (in this case, for the JZ1500, which has the same professional panel and electronics of JZ2000 but without the Technichs sound system). Even Vincent's evaluation gives them the best overall image, better near-blacks, color accuracy, and HDR results. They are the absolute best when the digital source has good quality. But for a more varied viewing (for those who use the TV also for TV channels and SD sources), the upscaling and motion handling necessary is better on Sony's.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Being primarily interested in a home cinema use, and as a secondary use for videogames, I will always go for Panasonic (in this case, for the JZ1500, which has the same professional panel and electronics of JZ2000 but without the Technichs sound system). Even Vincent's evaluation gives them the best overall image, better near-blacks, color accuracy, and HDR results. They are the absolute best when the digital source has good quality. But for a more varied viewing (for those who use the TV also for TV channels and SD sources), the upscaling and motion handling necessary is better on Sony's.
I would not buy a TV in 2021 from a company that already proclaimed its going to stop producing TV in the future and outsourcing production of them. It screams cost cutting and that means not only hardware devision is getting cut down, maybe even firmware / software people. Means feature support and hot fixes could take a hit also, on 2021 TVs.

Last edited:

John Wick

This.

Also HDTVTest (and anyone else that would recommend a sony tv this year) is a joke. For honest coverage, I stick with Thetechgiant/QUANTUM TV
Why is that? Because it doesn't align with your opinion?
Sony TV's are superb especially A90J and X950J. Just missing the VRR update but that should be dropping soon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There are some really good deals on the A80J right now... But it doesn't have VRR yet right? That's something I absolutely want (even though I mostly play well made games with solid framerates), and the promise of a future update that may or may not work as intended isn't really good enough.

dotnotbot

What scares me about Panasonic, their OLEDs are so obscure now that some issues don't get proper recognition. Dolby Vision issues in TV-led mode on HZ series were never acknowledged by Panasonic (but they fixed them in JZ series), now there's some weird tearing/flickering problem on JZ series in 4k@60 HDR mode

Last edited:

ABnormal

I would not buy a TV in 2021 from a company that already proclaimed its going to stop producing TV in the future and outsourcing production of them. It screams cost cutting and that means not only hardware devision is getting cut down, maybe even firmware / software people. Means feature support and hot fixes could take a hit also, on 2021 TVs.
Even if that would be the case (and it's all speculation, for now, since it could be simply cutting costs on labor, while continuing to pursue technology development), that doesn't affect this year panels at all, being them the best out of there at this precise moment. Things MIGHT change in the coming years, but I'm purchasing the TV now, so in this moment it's possible to get the highest level they have reached.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Even if that would be the case (and it's all speculation, for now, since it could be simply cutting costs on labor, while continuing to pursue technology development), that doesn't affect this year panels at all, being them the best out of there at this precise moment. Things MIGHT change in the coming years, but I'm purchasing the TV now, so in this moment it's possible to get the highest level they have reached.
There is already ramblings that some bugs aren't even acknowledge from Panasonic's side. Something LG has been super great about (released a new fix today I think) and Sony at least vaguely communicates this stuff.

With sets like these support should be its own dedicated metric. And I love Pana, been rocking a Pana Plasma for the last decade before I got the A90J.

Last edited:

ABnormal

The best models are way too expensive imo. Just get a C1 and save a thousand bucks lmao.
Price is obviously a significant matter. I got the Panasonic oled 55JZ1500 for 1800 euros, which is only some hundreds more than a C1, and considering that I will probably keep it for at least ten years (I used the plasma for 15 years), a difference like that is insignificant, compared to the possibility to enjoy the marvel of an high fidelity image. It's been a long evaluation. At the moment I could not find anything better for what I'm looking for. There's no perfect TV that it's better than every other TVs on any feature. But accordingly to what you look for primarily, there are some.

ABnormal

There is already ramblings that some bugs aren't even acknowledge from Panasonic's side. Something LG has been super great about (released a new fix today I think) and Sony at least vaguely communicates this stuff.

With sets like these support should be its own dedicated metric. And I love Pana, been rocking a Pana Plasma for the last decade before I got the A90J.
After a year looking at reviews from all the possible magazines and technichans, nothing serious of that kind came out (even in stress tests), so it's either a very specific issue, or it's due to yeld problems of some units. In general, Panasonic is famous to put in their TVs only what works, and they work. And if there would be a bug, that would be easily fixed by a firmware update.
That is the unanimous result of the various analisys these TVs have had. How would I trust random users more than the complete tests of experts? There will always be users with some problem.

dotnotbot

After a year looking at reviews from all the possible magazines and technichans, nothing serious of that kind came out (even in stress tests), so it's either a very specific issue, or it's due to yeld problems of some units. In general, Panasonic is famous to put in their TVs only what works, and they work. And if there would be a bug, that would be easily fixed by a firmware update.
That is the unanimous result of the various analisys these TVs have had. How would I trust random users more than the complete tests of experts? There will always be users with some problem.

Unfortunately experts tend to overlook some obvious things. For example I'm pretty sure that Vincent was the only one among popular reviewers who noticed severe color banding in 4k@120 mode on new Sonys (now fixed/improved).

When it comes to Panasonic, they never fixed frameskipping issues on older models (it was a serious problem before GZ series), as well as TV-led Dolby Vision frameskipping on HZ series. Both of these issues were completely ignored by most reviewers (!). Vincent did mention them in his reviews, but he brushed them off as being almost impossible to notice. Well, some users were disappointed to find out that it's more serious, including me (I had 2 different Panasonic HZ OLEDs).

ABnormal

Unfortunately experts tend to overlook some obvious things. For example I'm pretty sure that Vincent was the only one among popular reviewers who noticed severe color banding in 4k@120 mode on new Sonys (now fixed/improved).

When it comes to Panasonic, they never fixed frameskipping issues on older models (it was a serious problem before GZ series), as well as TV-led Dolby Vision frameskipping on HZ series. Both of these issues were completely ignored by most reviewers (!). Vincent did mention them in his reviews, but he brushed them off as being almost impossible to notice. Well, some users were disappointed to find out that it's more serious, including me (I had 2 different Panasonic HZ OLEDs).

Yes, sometimes daily use brings out peculiar problems that standardized tools don't reveal. One of that was the frameskipping issue, that appears to be fixed at least on 2000 and 1500.
The point is that it's possible that there will never be a TV that is "perfect" (and the definition depends itself by the limits of present technology, so it changes with it), but it's always possible to choose what is closest to what you look for. Then there is the point of actual real viewing, where hardly you can perceive any real small issue, and the quality of which is the result of the sum of all the features, rather than single aspects. The final overall result is what counts, after all.
Also, the only Dolby Vision setting that is off on Panasonic is DV Vivid, which is seen as an absurd by the reviewers themselves (not only because it's off, but because it alters colours like the worst Dynamic mode), who suggest to use DV Dark, which is wonderfully correct, instead. Here, for example:

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I’d argue relying on any platform’s internal apps is a big mistake. I have a cheap TCL 5 series from 2017 that I love, despite it not being great in the PQ department, and have really enjoyed Roku OS. However, in the last year the updates have rendered the OS slow and bloated, and while it will be supported longer than your Samsung or Vizio TV, one day the updates will stop.

Going with a high end TV, the internal apps are irrelevant. I like being able to plug whatever modern box into an input and not be tied to an old OS running on an aging smart TV with whatever wimpy processor the manufacturer included.

Apple TV or nvidia shield is a good replacement for TVs internal apps but even then the tonemapping and detail/upscaling will usually be better on the internal apps/media player ime. My Sony ZD9 is from 2016 and the internal media player looks better than mpv and VLC tonemapping on my PC input in some ways. The sharpness and brightness is fucking insane and the picture modes are identical, maybe has something to do with now HDMI can limit max brightness?

Or its just that the DV is source-led in the TV apps on Sony's as opposed to being player-led from HDMI sources, I don't think the LG has that limitation but I think people still say DV rips are better in the internal media player on the LG than from a regular 4k player, maybe except an OPPO 203 or similar.

Quantum tv is a shitheel who has no idea what he's doing.
Sometimes. Sometimes he's right though whilst others are shilling. I 100 percent agree with him on how much of a backstep 2021 Sony sets are, where others don't call Sony/Samsung out.

Consider him a voice of reason in terms of Sony 2021. He said the same things I found out about Sony 2021 motion and XR processing bs that I never heard from Vinny. No seriously, his x900e vs. x90j videos speak the truth, and i've seen the same drawbacks on the new sets. Everyone just parrots "Sony motion Sony motion, XR is new so it must be great" but no, not at all.

On the other hand he says crazy shit like Hisense are the lcd kings and samsung the frame is an underrated tv lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom