• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellena Taylor (Voice of Bayonetta) Describes How She was Offered only $4,000 USD to Voice Her Again in Bayonetta 3.

Mr Branding

I dunno, why did they hire a Candian who can't do the accent at all then?

It's not as if they identified a passable replacement, they just hired Default Voice Actor for her day rate and the experience will be worse for it.

I don't think many will boycott, but even if it costs them a few hundred in sales it would have been worth it to pay more.
The question is…. Will you boycott the game tho? ;)

Seriously, who gives a damn about voice acting in a game which barely has a coherent story?!? Before this fabricated drama, I didn’t even notice it was a different VA and I’ve played the first game on release on Ps3. I’ll tell you one thing tho, I didn’t play it for the story or acting.

I’m willing to take bets that if this game will constantly have fps dips below 20fps or somw other technical issues, people wouldn’t be so up in arms.

Seriously, who gives a damn about voice acting in a game which barely has a coherent story?!?
People who like the story, either because they think it's genuinely good, or they because they enjoy the absurdity of it all and just find it fun. Unless someone is actively skipping the cutscenes, chances are they want to watch them. And if that's the case, a large amount of them would probably would rather hear the same voice coming out of the character that they came to associate with her for years now.

Astral Dog

I don't like the new voice. Hale is miscast. And the old voice actress definitely lent a certain charisma to the character.

Not saying they should have paid her a million dollars or anything but I agree $4000 is pretty insulting and less than they likely paid Hale for a worse result.
I dunno, why did they hire a Candian who can't do the accent at all then?

It's not as if they identified a passable replacement, they just hired Default Voice Actor for her day rate and the experience will be worse for it.

I don't think many will boycott, but even if it costs them a few hundred in sales it would have been worth it to pay more.
Bullshit i been playing the series since day one, and from the trailers alone Jennifer Hale will make an amazing Bayonetta, if not for the fans who been pissing themselves because Helena Taylor is no longer voicing the character, everybody would be praising the voice actress, a lot of people didn't even noticed the difference

Last edited:

Astral Dog

People who like the story, either because they think it's genuinely good, or they because they enjoy the absurdity of it all and just find it fun. Unless someone is actively skipping the cutscenes, chances are they want to watch them. And if that's the case, a large amount of them would probably would rather hear the same voice coming out of the character that they came to associate with her for years now.
I agree, but they also didn't took the recasting lightly, again, i have no doubt Platinum Games tried to reach an agreement with Helena and pay her above average fees(it was not $4000). they just wouldn't pay what she was demanding because it was unreasonable

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I make around 4k a month as a grocery store manager working 45 hours a week at a store that does over a million in sales a week. That involves helping manage over 150 employees and all that comes with that, unloading trucks and stocking shelves, dealing with customers and all their questions and complaints, plus so much more as you would imagine. I have to be physically fit, patient, have good problem solving and conflict resolution skills. I like my job and am satisfied with what I am paid. I provide an important service to the community by providing food and jobs.

Im sorry, but she can kiss my fucking ass with this self entitled whining. I’m sorry you can’t sit in a room and read a script someone else wrote with an English accent and call it a day. It’s a gig job. You shouldn’t be able to live off of it solely, I imagine most voice actors have figured that out and supplement that income with other jobs. I’ve seen people make some comparisons to Hollywood actors and voice actors as if that proves something. Yea, those people are all grossly overpaid and should make significantly less money too, because they provide next to nothing of real material Value to anyones lives.

sorry. This may have hit a nerve.
Dude you're being under paid. Organize.

I agree, but they also didn't took the recasting lightly, again, i have no doubt Platinum Games tried to reach an agreement with Helena and pay her above average fees(it was not $4000). they just wouldn't pay what she was demanding because it was unreasonable
Oh yeah, if their allegation is accurate, I fully understand them recasting the voice, and I don't blame them at all. It's just the "4000 for the whole game seems more than fair / no one should even care about the voice" arguments that I disagree with.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Uncharted for Sony is as important as Zelda/Mario is for Nintendo.

Bayonetta is waaaaay lower in the ranks... so no.

ps: I guess you haven't played Uncharted 2. He was a very iconic character.
I am not saying it's not a blockbuster series but I don't think it's one that's as driven by an iconic character performance.

SF Kosmo

Bullshit i been playing the series since day one, and from the trailers alone Jennifer Hale will make an amazing Bayonetta, if not for the fans who been pissing themselves because Helena Taylor is no longer voicing the character, everybody would be praising the voice actress, a lot of people didn't even noticed the difference
Dude, stop. Hale is very talented but her British accent in the trailer is comically bad. I predict it will be particularly off-putting in the UK and EU territories.

I am not saying it's not a blockbuster series but I don't think it's one that's as driven by an iconic character performance.
What is that supposed to mean?

Uncharted is not driven by an iconic character performance? Really?

Uncharted 4 was mediocre in almost all aspects compared to its predecessors, granted, but Harry Flynn was an iconic and beloved character in Uncharted 2.

Last edited:

tassletine

The question is…. Will you boycott the game tho? ;)

Seriously, who gives a damn about voice acting in a game which barely has a coherent story?!? Before this fabricated drama, I didn’t even notice it was a different VA and I’ve played the first game on release on Ps3. I’ll tell you one thing tho, I didn’t play it for the story or acting.

I’m willing to take bets that if this game will constantly have fps dips below 20fps or somw other technical issues, people wouldn’t be so up in arms.
People care because much like a Marvel Film, you can get away with nonsense if you have a solid characters.
I couldn't tell you what was going on in the original really, but I can tell you that Bayonetta as a character worked, and it clearly resonated with people -- And that helped anchor all the silly story stuff.
Having said that I'm there for the gameplay. I just hope her English accent isn't too bad. It's okay in the trailer.

Mr Branding

Ok. And I'm here to tell you that I don't skip cutscenes in games (at least not the first playthrough) and yet I still could not care less on who is voicing characters. It's a zany story, just like Ninja Gaiden or Devil may cry; these games are meant to be played for the gameplay.
Also, didn't see such an uproar when Kratos changed actors; sure, there were a few vocal fans but in the end it's all for the better. I'm sorry but it just seems people swallowed this drama right up, I'm sure the new VA will do a great job, like I've said, I didn't even notice the difference until the internet made a fuss about it.

ssringo

Ok. And I'm here to tell you that I don't skip cutscenes in games (at least not the first playthrough) and yet I still could not care less on who is voicing characters. It's a zany story, just like Ninja Gaiden or Devil may cry; these games are meant to be played for the gameplay.
Also, didn't see such an uproar when Kratos changed actors; sure, there were a few vocal fans but in the end it's all for the better. I'm sorry but it just seems people swallowed this drama right up, I'm sure the new VA will do a great job, like I've said, I didn't even notice the difference until the internet made a fuss about it.
OK. I also don't skip cutscenes and very much care what voice is coming out of a character. Even in silly stories like Bayonetta. It's noticeable to me when there's a VA change between games even if the replacement does well. I noticed the difference between Hale and Taylor immediately.

Hale did fine with her role but I'd still rather Taylor voice Bayonetta. I made peace with it quite a while ago (cause bitching wont change anything anyways) and given this fiasco I've accepted that it's (rightly so) never happening again.

Different strokes.

Fuz

Banned
Platinum Games officially responds.

Edit: Good they say something to support Jennifer Hale. But I also wasn’t expecting them to say anything else!

Hungry Food GIF

-Zelda-

Banned
I remember the part of her twitter thread where she uses her faith to shame the people who worked on the game in part 3 or 4 of her rant. Started talking about the Pharisees and also Lazarus the rich man vs the poor man. I enjoyed the Bayo games, despite being a christian, but it seems strange to me that she would want to play as such a foul mouthed character if her faith is that important to her. Oh well, seems she will never work in VA again if that stuff Jason schrier tuned up was true because she burned all those people and also broke NDA.

I remember the part of her twitter thread where she uses her faith to shame the people who worked on the game in part 3 or 4 of her rant. Started talking about the Pharisees and also Lazarus the rich man vs the poor man. I enjoyed the Bayo games, despite being a christian, but it seems strange to me that she would want to play as such a foul mouthed character if her faith is that important to her. Oh well, seems she will never work in VA again if that stuff Jason schrier tuned up was true because she burned all those people and also broke NDA.
Plot twist:
She is obsessed with money, not others...

Last edited:

And that's fine. Nowhere in what I wrote excludes you or others like yourself from feeling differently. "A large amount" is not all, and it's not even claiming to be a majority.

Right, but Kratos' former voice actor wasn't claiming he was offered 4000 dollars for the whole game, so this is a very different situation. Kratos is also a fair bit older in the new series, so it makes a bit more sense that his voice might sound a bit different.

The closest example of a similar situation to Bayonetta is when Gearbox got cheap when it came to bringing back Rhys and Claptrap. Fans didn't like that at all, but then Borderlands 3 game out and people found the writing was a much bigger issue in that game. They also weren't protagonists in the sequels where the voice actor changed, making them less important to the overall product.

Astral Dog

Totally. All we have from either side is statements without evidence (Kamiya tweets or Schreier or Bloomberg claiming to have seen evidence is not evidence). Until we have something more substantial than "trust me guys, here's what happened" from someone, we'll never know.
Its totally gonna be a she said/they said thing for awhile, and we may never know the whole story.

But, right now the pieces are Jennifer Hale(and her sources in VA), Hideki Kamiya, all of PG, and Bloomberg VS Helena Taylor and angry gamer mob who knows shit.

thing is one would need to believe the first bunch are the worst scum of the earth, and are all conspiring behind the scenes against Taylor like some kind of videogame League of Doom, wich is honestly both hilarious and a little sad.

i don't believe for a moment any of them had ill will against Helena. There was a big misunderstanding, disagreements, but nothing vile

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Its totally gonna be a she said/they said thing for awhile, and we may never know the whole story.

But, right now the pieces are Jennifer Hale(and her sources in VA), Hideki Kamiya, all of PG, and Bloomberg VS Helena Taylor and angry gamer mob who knows shit.

thing is one would need to believe the first bunch are the worst scum of the earth, and are all conspiring behind the scenes against Taylor like some kind of videogame League of Doom, wich is honestly both hilarious and a little sad.

i don't believe for a moment any of them had ill will against Helena. There was a big misunderstanding, disagreements, but nothing vile
Platinum and Nintendo are unlikely to ever say anything, I doubt they want everyone to know how they negotiate these contracts.

Especially now it seems public is favorable towards Platinum and Nintendo. It also seems like pre sales of Bayonetta 3 had an uptick since the controversy started.

Unless Helena Taylor show some receipts to corroborate her side of the story, there is just too much ambiguity to say Platinum or Nintendo is in the wrong.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Yeah, sorry but if the lady starts her response like this:

As I posted on part three of my video thread. I explained that their first offer was too low. That offer was 10,000 dollars total. Remember, this is 450 million dollar franchise, (not counting merchandise.)
So basically: they offered her market rate, but she wanted to get a piece of the pie. They refused, cue drama.

Yeah, sorry but if the lady starts her response like this:

So basically: they offered her market rate, but she wanted to get a piece of the pie. They refused, cue drama.

I would have had a lot more respect for her and her situation if she immediately clarified that she was never offered 4000 for the whole game, which is what EVERYONE took away from her videos, probably because that's what she said.

As I posted on part three of my video thread. I explained that their first offer was too low. That offer was 10,000 dollars total. Remember, this is 450 million dollar franchise, (not counting merchandise.) I then wrote in Japanese to Hideki Kamiya, asking for what I was

worth. I thought that as a creative, he would understand. He replied saying how much he valued my contribution to the game and how much the fans wanted me to voice the game. I was then offered an extra 5,0000!

We could have had a discussion if 15,000 dollars is a fair price or not for what she contributes to the project, but not anymore. Now all anyone will be talking about is how she was offered a lot more than 4000 dollars, and with good reason.

Last edited:

Hoppa

Is Bayonetta really a $450 million franchise? I don’t doubt it (never played it) but where does this figure come from? The framing is very strange, sure $10k is relatively low and also why show the price paid for Bayo 1 in pounds besides making the sum seem smaller when it has been in dollars in all other instances..

Hardensoul

I would have had a lot more respect for her and her situation if she immediately clarified that she was never offered 4000 for the whole game, which is what EVERYONE took away from her videos, probably because that's what she said.

As I posted on part three of my video thread. I explained that their first offer was too low. That offer was 10,000 dollars total. Remember, this is 450 million dollar franchise, (not counting merchandise.) I then wrote in Japanese to Hideki Kamiya, asking for what I was

worth. I thought that as a creative, he would understand. He replied saying how much he valued my contribution to the game and how much the fans wanted me to voice the game. I was then offered an extra 5,0000!

We could have had a discussion if 15,000 dollars is a fair price or not for what she contributes to the project, but not anymore. Now all anyone will be talking about is how she was offered a lot more than 4000 dollars, and with good reason.

WoW! She admits it’s basically the same as the Bloomberg article. She still think Bayonetta is a 450 million franchise. What a way to frame the bullshit number of 4K to make it look bad on Platinum!

WoW! She admits it’s basically the same as the Bloomberg article. She still think Bayonetta is a 450 million franchise. What a way to frame the bullshit number of 4K to make it look bad on Platinum!

This is the other missing piece of this puzzle. The 4000 was to come back and voice "some lines," by her own admission, not to voice the entire game like she said. And I thought she made more than enough mistakes with her video series to begin with. She didn't even get the basic offer details right!

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
This is just too funny, I can't imagine it will get as much traction as her lies.

I wonder if people will still be defending her, time for them all to eat humble pie ;D

Reactions: Fuz

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think she just realized that you have to be really big time to make a living off VA alone and that she just hindered herself from getting more work.

That just another case of social media implosion.

cireza

Banned
So basically she was offered 15000$ ? Yeah, I am going to side with Kamiya on this. This sounds reasonable to me. We are talking about some hours of recording and probably some days/weeks of preparation/training.

Her videos were intentionally vague about this. It led us to understand 4000$ for the whole game. That's disappointing from her.

Last edited:

lmao... the whole thing made no sense from the beginning, the new voice actor probably charges a higher rate than her, no way in hell was she offered 4k for the whole gig, mind you EVEN 4k for 16 hours of work (that i took her to record the lines of bayo 2) is quite good in the first place. She will never get another voice gig for as long as she lives, effectively blacklisted from now on i can guarantee

I don’t see anyone talking about:

1. It seems she voiced Bayo in Smash, how much she got paid for that?

2. Apparently she did other work, how much she got paid there too?

Also, in the first post she mentioned being broke and having nothing to lose. I think that behavior could represent depression and it could lead to suicidal thoughts. I think Helena made a mistake burning bridges like this, showing the world that she is not trust-worthy and not being honest from the first post. I don’t wish her any ill, but it seems she lost the argument, and it might be best for her to put it behind her and move one.

I think her whole gambit backfired, because this was a huge promotion for Bayo 3, a game I even forgot was coming out this month. She thought she was essential to the franchise and Platinum proved that they could change her and move on. If they can get rid of you, then how big is your slice from that “$450,000,000” franchise? Fun fact: I bought Bayonetta1 twice, once for PS3 and once for PS4. Still haven’t played the game. I think I paid $10 each time lol.

Is Bayonetta really a $450 million franchise? I don’t doubt it (never played it) but where does this figure come from? The framing is very strange, sure $10k is relatively low and also why show the price paid for Bayo 1 in pounds besides making the sum seem smaller when it has been in dollars in all other instances..

Not $450m, it's sold around 3-4 million so far and many at a discount. Probably more like a $150-200m franchise in revenue. She may well be using some Smash Brothers units or even Bayo 3's future sales of 1-2 million.

Also people get caught up in revenue when it's not actual profit and doesn't tell the story of marketing, distribution, developer cost, publisher cut, the percentage cuts from physical sales that Bayo 1-2 would've had back then.

She was offered 15k it seems which is a nice reward. Shame she couldn't see she was onto a winner there and that's the most you can expect from this low selling franchise that struggles to get sequels off the ground. The role is not worth 50k 100k, it's not that integral so they can look elsewhere if problems arise.

Last edited:

daclynk

So she came and confirms that what Jason said was true. Where the hell is she getting the 450million from. hmmmm

Last edited:
I’m not some Bayonetta super fan or anything, but I have played the games and a lot of Smash Bros. Watching the trailers for Bayo 3, I never would’ve known it was a different voice actress.

Also this chick sucks, hopefully the last we hear from her ever.

SF Kosmo

$15,000 is a lot more fair. That said, if she had an actual ask or counter offer that she was willing to share we could better assess if she is worth that.

She isn't coming into this role new, she should have leverage to negotiate a better deal as actors often do when agreeing to reprise roles.

James Earl Jones famously only got $10,000 to play Darth Vader in Star Wars. But he negotiated a better deal for himself in all the subsequent times playing that character and he can do that because fans want to hear his voice. You can't blame Taylor for negotiating but I don't know what she was asking for.b

By the way, someone seemingly found out how she got the 450 million dollar idea.
AADM0JAADz7N.jpg

Saying she didn't read the table well is a understatement if this is indeed her source, instead of just adding Bayonetta (all) + Bayonetta 2 (all), she instead would have counted Bayonetta (all) and Bayonetta 2 (all) numbers separately from individual platform numbers to get those numbers. Edit: She would also have had to add the franchise total number on top of those.......... Not to mention......vgcharts.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
By the way, someone seemingly found out how she got the 450 million dollar idea.
AADM0JAADz7N.jpg

Saying she didn't read the table well is a understatement if this is indeed her source, instead of just adding Bayonetta (all) + Bayonetta 2 (all), she instead would have counted Bayonetta (all) and Bayonetta 2 (all) numbers separately from individual platform numbers to get those numbers.......... Not to mention......vgcharts.
What an idiot. I had to check VG myself as the image you pasted it I cant see. Ya, she double counted the numbers as VG has a grand total "Series" row. Right off the bat, you can cut the sales in half to $225M and then even more for discounted deals as not every sale is a full price. The real number for sales is probably going to be perhaps ~$150M (I took a guess for the hell of it). Depends on how well the game sold at regular price vs bargain binning.

And whatever sales it really is is at retail prices, not Nintendo/Platinum wholesale sales price. So it's even lower. It might even be down to $100M company revenue. Who knows.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I don’t see anyone talking about:

1. It seems she voiced Bayo in Smash, how much she got paid for that?

2. Apparently she did other work, how much she got paid there too?

Also, in the first post she mentioned being broke and having nothing to lose. I think that behavior could represent depression and it could lead to suicidal thoughts. I think Helena made a mistake burning bridges like this, showing the world that she is not trust-worthy and not being honest from the first post. I don’t wish her any ill, but it seems she lost the argument, and it might be best for her to put it behind her and move one.

I think her whole gambit backfired, because this was a huge promotion for Bayo 3, a game I even forgot was coming out this month. She thought she was essential to the franchise and Platinum proved that they could change her and move on. If they can get rid of you, then how big is your slice from that “$450,000,000” franchise? Fun fact: I bought Bayonetta1 twice, once for PS3 and once for PS4. Still haven’t played the game. I think I paid $10 each time lol.
I don’t think it matters, she only specifically named Bayonetta. Any monetary negotiations would’ve been with Sakurai and Namco who developed the game for Nintendo.

Bayonetta even has less lines in Smash or they could’ve just sampled most of those lines from Bayonetta game and other sound effects could be done by someone else.

yurinka

No, it is not a $450M franchise. It sold somewher between 3.5M-5M copies counting both games and all their ports and as always a good chunk of them discounted.

$450M would mean over 10M copies sold and the Bayo series must have generated under half of that. She also lies here. Bayonetta is not a big seller IP.

The $450M fake number comes from the super fake VGChartz sales multiplied by $60.

Last edited:

Rykan

I think it's hilarious if this entire clownshow started because she got her information from VGcharts.

Like, if Bayonetta actually did make 450m USD with just two entries, then I'd find it reasonable to ask for 100k to voice a character for the third game in a series that is clearly a smash hit.

....But Bayonetta isn't a smash hit and now she looks petty. Wow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom