• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Games Says New Project Is So Ambitious It Would 'Seem Impossible' Even With a 1,000 Person Team

daveonezero

Banned
I hate when people say shit like this. Then I see that it’s No Man’s Sky people.

I mean ok. Wtf are we supposed to think of something like that? Least they are ambitious and think they are innovating but when it releases who knows if that is actually true or not.

Last edited:

jonnyXx

OIP-C.tc83tGJuPVMYDT14lNZ8xAHaDt
My thoughts exactly.
This guys is Peter Molyneux Part Deux.

I mean ok. Wtf are we supposed to think of something like that? Least they are ambitious and think they are innovating but when it reassess who knows if that is actually true or not.
He's a dev who's excited about his creation. I'm sure the devs at Sony Santa Monica and Insomniac are just as excited about their new projects and would love to shout out at the world about how it's so amazing, but the difference is that they just are under an air tight contract to be radio silent.

Also, for those who didn't bother looking it up, this is most likely all we're going to read or hear for a while:

Murray confirmed that he is currently working on both No Man's Sky and the new game – but Hello Games isn't discussing specifics about the new project right now.

"I mean, look, we have learned our lesson. We don't want to start talking about anything too early", explains Murray, referencing No Man's Sky's extremely open (and occasionally controversial) pre-release. "The only reason we talked at all about it was because we released our most recent game, Last Campfire, which was the first thing to come out since No Man's Sky. It's done by a separate team that we supported within the studio. But when we talk to press about it, a lot of them came at it from the angle of, 'Oh, well you did Joe Danger before. You've done No Man's Sky, and I guess you're doing Joe Danger-size games again.' [...] We didn't want people to have that impression, because it's not exactly true."

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I hate when people say shit like this. Then I see that it’s No Man’s Sky people.

I mean ok. Wtf are we supposed to think of something like that? Least they are ambitious and think they are innovating but when it reassess who knows if that is actually true or not.
Best post in the thread up to this point. Some people are so risk averse it's crazy.

daveonezero

Banned
Best post in the thread up to this point. Some people are so risk averse it's crazy.
I like the risk. And ambition. I just like results.

I like the Nintendo approach. Silent and show and tell later.

Or something like how Minecraft or Stardew Valley make a huge splash. No one really says anything. But then things are shown and released and you can tell these are something different and ambitious projects.

I would say it's a fully realized earth blending procedural interiors with satellite data.

Similar ambition to no mans sky, similar vibe "it's all here, now what?" Treat architecture like biomes, make guesses based on region and building dimensions. You get a space craft, plane, sub, or car.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is the game impossible to make with 1,000 people? YES!

Is the game impossible to make with 10,000 people? YES!

Is it true you cant see your player and interact in MP because it's not actually in the game at launch despite you saying it is on late night TV shows? YES!

Fredrik

I can't believe he's making the same mistake again.
Sigh, yeah my thought exacly, he’s going all in on hype yet again.

How about just working on it, say nothing, then release a launch trailer once it’s ready and go ”Available today.”. Can devs in general please start doing that?

Last edited:

Ribi

Sigh, yeah my thought exacly, he’s going all in on hype yet again.

How about just working on it, say nothing, then release a launch trailer once it’s ready and go ”Available today.”. Can devs in general please start doing that?
No chance you don't make money. Imagine if no man's sky didn't have the hype to start with. Rip all those preorders and media attention. That's money. If the game just comes out and is bad then rip all that money, even a bad games gets some money from hype.

The closest you have to your approach is indie early access games

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My thoughts exactly.
This guys is Peter Molyneux Part Deux.

As long as he eventually antes up like he did with No Man's Sky I'll overlook it, but the similarities are pretty funny even this early on in his career.

But for now it's like "BadBurger says his ramrod is so gargantuan it seems 'almost impossible' to take even with a mouth as stretched as the average Era user's".

ramuh

To be honest, given the crazy support their last game got, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Just don't go on shows spouting nonsense.

jigglet

Banned
If the Battlefield series is anything to go by, fans are willing to be burned again and again despite forewarning themselves. Hello Games, do it, and don't be apologetic for it! As the great George W Bush said:

"fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If the Battlefield series is anything to go by, fans are willing to be burned again and again despite forewarning themselves. Hello Games, do it, and don't be apologetic for it! As the great George W Bush said:

"fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."
Oh yeah, how are players burnt with NMS… look for you want to buy a game from a team that delivered a good game at launch and then kept supporting it with tons of improvements and new features as well as graphical updates, multiplayer modes, new systems support, VR, etc…?

9u9IgmV.jpg

… people with NMS / Hello Games…

jigglet

Banned
Oh yeah, how are players burnt with NMS… look for you want to buy a game from a team that delivered a good game at launch and then kept supporting it with tons of improvements and new features as well as graphical updates, multiplayer modes, new systems support, VR, etc…?

9u9IgmV.jpg

… people with NMS / Hello Games…

That's irrelevant. They have not built up a track record of delivering on their promises day 1.

They stuck around and worked hard on day 500. I won't deny that. It's admirable and to be applauded. You could say Dice did the same with BF4. But it's not the point I was making.

EDIT: I just read my OP, to be fair I didn't clarify day 1 in it. I guess my point is I have no faith most companies can deliver anything like NMS on day 1. Anyone that thinks they can are just idiots. It takes time, I respect the companies that are willing to stick it out for the long haul. I have little respect for fans that expect really ambitious stuff to be delivered day 1 while simultaneously hating on GaaS.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I would say that his mouth is writing cheques that his arse can’t cash. But they did turn around no man’s sky after a while

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fuck me, he just said his next game is ambitious and he gets 2 pages of doom and gloom.
There is no winning with some people. Super small team, betting their house literally to finish the game and flooding wrecking their offices and tons of shit going wrong, delivers a good 1.0 and then tirelessly releases massive updates month after month (not from day 500 from release) for years for free and adds support for more and more platforms and they still get crap and doom and gloom…

Again…
QQangTO.jpg

I guess we sometimes deserve the EA / Ubisoft of the world screwing us over…

Last edited:

Fredrik

No chance you don't make money. Imagine if no man's sky didn't have the hype to start with. Rip all those preorders and media attention. That's money. If the game just comes out and is bad then rip all that money, even a bad games gets some money from hype.

The closest you have to your approach is indie early access games
Okay wait til you can preorder then. I don’t see anything positive for anyone coming from hyping somethin that is years away that you can’t show, all it does is letting expectations go haywire and then it’s the same thing again with disappointed fans who let their fantasies evolve into something that was never going to happen anyway.

Bethesda is walking that path right now. I know I’ll love it but that’s just because I love Skyrim and I’ve kept my expectations to ”Skyrim in space”, everything else is a bonus. Lots of people won’t do that though, I already see people expecting some big No Man’s Sky universe scenario with Skyrim lore, exploration, quests and interactions.

He wants to say that to generate buzz and interest? OK, but this time around don't make any stupid promises, and more importantly, don't team up with a publisher that wants to publish your game as quickly as possible to fill up their poor line-up of games for the year.

Majukun

looks like he hasn't lost his taste for extremely exaggerated depictions of reality.

Seán Murray seems like his overpromised before but has since learned his lesson. Hello Games deserves another shot for the great work on updates redeeming the initial flawed product. Now if it were Peter Molyneux I wouldn't trust him even if his tongue was notarised.
the only lesson he learned is that he can overpromise, release a faulty gamer and just fix it later, and people will be ok with it.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
looks like he hasn't lost his taste for extremely exaggerated depictions of reality.

the only lesson he learned is that he can overpromise, release a faulty gamer and just fix it later, and people will be ok with it.
I'd give him a second chance. If the same thing happens again, I'll wait on reviews and future patches before buying a future product. He could easily have taken the money and ran. The team stayed and included alot more than what was initially promised in NMS. Making one mistake isn't a track record

Majukun

I'd give him a second chance. If the same thing happens again, I'll wait on reviews and future patches before buying a future product. He could easily have taken the money and ran. The team stayed and included alot more than what was initially promised in NMS. Making one mistake isn't a track record
if he never planned to release a game ever again, he could have run.

but this was the first game of his company, if he left it like it was, hello games was done for.
People often compare him to Molyneux, but the latter had a track record of amazing games before he became an hack, this was murray first and only game.

for me what he has done is well enough (especially because that "one" mistake was a concious pr campaign made over years, not a slip up in an interview) to write him off...if he will deliver, i'll consider his game, but atm i can't trust a single word coming from hello games.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Peter Molyneux secretly died and possessed this man's body.

Has he learned nothing from overhyping No Man's Sky?

Majukun

There is no winning with some people. Super small team, betting their house literally to finish the game and flooding wrecking their offices and tons of shit going wrong, delivers a good 1.0 and then tirelessly releases massive updates month after month (not from day 500 from release) for years for free and adds support for more and more platforms and they still get crap and doom and gloom…

Again…
QQangTO.jpg

I guess we sometimes deserve the EA / Ubisoft of the world screwing us over…
well, he HAS screwed you over, hasn't he?

he sold you an early access game, based on lies, for 60 bucks

that counts to me as screwing someone over, if for you it's normal, or worse something to defend him over, you do you.

Peter Molyneux secretly died and possessed this man's body.

Has he learned nothing from overhyping No Man's Sky?
he learned that he can release an unfinished product on lies, fix it later, and be the hero of the story.

valuable lesson for the future i'm sure.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
He's doing those kinds of interviews again now..? Oh boy................................................................

The OP's headline and the actual Sean Murray quote read very differently to me. I'm surprised that Sean Murray even talks to the media anymore. Everything he says gets twisted, even by people on message boards just linking to a story. Meanwhile, NMS has just been given more and more support.

The Hello Games story is extremely instructive in a lot of ways.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh for fuck's sake, stop with the concern trolling.

It makes sense for them to leverage their expertise with procedural generation to create another game with immense scale and scope. Hence something that sounds like it would be impossible with even a huge team. Thats the position Murray is coming from, because procedural generation allows a small team to punch massively above its weight in terms of content generation.

NMS has proven the tech already, so why anyone should be skeptical of this sort of claim is frankly just being obtuse.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
have they learned nothing? don't hype it up for goodness sake.

stfu and work on it then show it off honestly. they've redeemed themselves so don't fuck it up now.

Fair play to HG for everything they've accomplished. Yeah, they over hyped the game, which seems to be the norm nowadays, but they released all of the content they promised, and more! The VR update on its own was fantastic, let alone the other stuff. Sean seems like a passionate guy and the proof is in the pudding with how much he has continued to work on NMS.

What a shame that studios 10 times the size of HG can't be humble and listen to feedback of their customers and fans for the good of their reputation and product.

Top Bottom