• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Help] Best videogame stores in Manhattan?

MrSingh

I'm currently in NYC now. Are there any GAF-ers in the area?

Where is the best place to shop for videogames? Also looking for a good gadget store.

Thanks.

I'm from Scotland but spent some time in Manhattan last summer. Over there, all games were really cheap so every game store was good for shopping.

Anyhow, I know where some game shops are (although they are by no means the best around or even good compartively speaking - need someone local for that methinks).

I got some good bargains (2nd hand wise at least) from the Gamestop across from Manhattan Mall (6th and 33rd) and in that mall there's a really small EB that was really unlike the brand style of most of the stores (dimly lit/zero decoration/untidy) and had some really cheap 2nd hand stuff. And there was a KB Toys or something or other that had discounted new games right next to the EB.

I realise these are all chain stores, but I found em cheap (hailing from UK). Someone from NY might have a better knowledge of cheap independant stores.

EVO 212 219 3768 in Chinatown, Mott st I think. Best store around IMHO.

J and L is right next to them. Lots of rare stuff, but $$$.

Prospero

I've found chain stores in Manhattan to be pricey as hell.

The best non-chain store in Manhattan I've found is, IIRC, called Game Express--it's just east of Penn Station on 33rd. An unholy selection of console stuff, including PS1/PS2 things that are long out of print, but which they still seem to have copies of (at slightly less than full price, still sealed) for some reason. I usually end up spending $100+ when I set foot in there.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i moved out of new york several years ago, but you might want to try multimedia 1.0 on st. marks place in the village. iirc you're in japan, so imports won't be all that interesting, but they used to have some neat classic stuff. game express is good too, yeah.

i scored a lot of great deals at nyc import stores during that whole transition from the saturn to the dreamcast...including cheapish copies of radiant silvergun and battle garegga. wonder how things are now.

DCX

DCX
Fordham Game World in the Bronx...on Fordham Road. Might get robbed before u get in your car though :p

DCX

MrSingh

thanks folks. I'm basically looking for US releases since I live in Tokyo. Found a gamestop near Aston place station on Broadway. They seem to have really good prices too. I can find US releases at import stores in Akihabara, but they normally sell for $80 or more. :(

john tv

NYC itself is usually overpriced so I often get my stuff outside the city, like in NJ or SI. It's only like $5 difference, but it usually adds up.

Best place to go is Best Buy if you can find one!

I just got back from a couple days in NYC. Right near Rockefeller Center there's a Gamestop (6th Ave. and 45th?) and an EB Games in the underground shopping plaza (head down the elevator by the skating rink and there will be signs).

Between those two stores I actually got some good deals.

xsarien

daedsiluap
drohne said:
i moved out of new york several years ago, but you might want to try multimedia 1.0 on st. marks place in the village. iirc you're in japan, so imports won't be all that interesting, but they used to have some neat classic stuff. game express is good too, yeah.

Yeah, they're also overpriced to the point of hilarty, although the Hello Kitty Dreamcast is quite the oddity. The last time I was in there, I overheard the guy who was working that particular day tell some customers that all of the "junk" (read: the really rare, old, classic stuff) wasn't for sale.

That, of course, translates into: We're dumping this shit on eBay, no one's dumb enough to blow $200 on a Nomad here.

Or maybe he was just trying to clear out the store, I dunno. I treat it more like a museum than an actual store. The old stuff is priced like it's the collective Shroud of Turin, and the new stuff is, well, the new stuff.

people already basically listed the good stuff... Game Express, EVO, J&L... and there's a fuckton of eb's and gamestops all over...

i haven't actually looked inside the best buys in the city, but there's one at 23rd and broadway and another at 86th and lex....

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DCX said:
Fordham Game World in the Bronx...on Fordham Road. Might get robbed before u get in your car though :p

DCX

YES. That is such a fucking great store. It's the only one I recommend in the city to be honest.

Actually, there's gamequest on 89th and 3rd. I fucking hate the chain stores, but my fave is eb at 83rd and 3rd. My friend jeanette works there. Say wassup to her.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
If your in Brooklyn, you can also try Bulletproof Comics. They have good number of titles, but don't go for anything imported. Otherwise, I would just stick with Game Express (Manhattan and Queens) and EVO.

Oh! If your in Jamaica Queens, on Jamaica Ave, near the bus terminal, you can bargain with the stores there. I picked up Cubivore for $17 (tax in) not too long ago

DCX

DCX
Wellington said:
YES. That is such a fucking great store. It's the only one I recommend in the city to be honest.

Actually, there's gamequest on 89th and 3rd. I fucking hate the chain stores, but my fave is eb at 83rd and 3rd. My friend jeanette works there. Say wassup to her.
Huh, i didn't think anyone from here been to Game World, i used to be a regular til i moved up north. Went i visit i have to go see them, i wonder if Jose still works there...that man has been trying to leave for a while...lol FGW for life i guess.

DCX

goodcow

Prospero said:
The best non-chain store in Manhattan I've found is, IIRC, called Game Express--it's just east of Penn Station on 33rd. An unholy selection of console stuff, including PS1/PS2 things that are long out of print, but which they still seem to have copies of (at slightly less than full price, still sealed) for some reason. I usually end up spending $100+ when I set foot in there.

www.gexpress.com

They used to have a half dozen or so stores throughout New York, I'm not sure how many are left. I do know that the one in Nassau near Rosevelt Field Mall closed, which made me sad. :(

real quick...

Game Express: Awesome selection of older titles at generally good prices. Sales people are okay.

Multimedia at St. Marks: Overpriced shit, fuck wad employees. Avoid.

J&L: Large selection of imports and certain older system. Everything is overpriced. Only good for window shopping, or for that really hard to find PC Engine Super CD title.

EVO: Not as good a selection as J&L, but much better prices. Their employees aren't total idiots like J&L. Your best Chinatown bet.

Various EB's and Gamestops all over the city: Most have total idiots who work in them. You'd swear that they know nothing about video games. The worst one IMHO is the Gamestop on Astor and Broadway. It's entirely manned by extremely bitter ex employees of smaller independent game stores that were run out of business by, you guessed it, Gamestop.

Circuit City's and Best Buy's: Often have great deals. A necessary stop at lest once a week.

... my fave game store was in the downtown wall street area, but closed down a few years ago after "you know what" happened. :(

Vieo

If you're willing to head into Brooklyn, downtown you'll find this shop called Game Express I believe. I go their often but for some reason they keep changing the name. They have an ad in the yellow pages if you want to be sure. Anyway, they have a lot of stuff there. They even still sell SNES, N64, GB, and Sega Saturn games. They also have a huge-ass selection of used games and consoles. If you haggle on the used games/consoles, they will usually lower the price.

FortNinety said:
real quick...

Game Express: Awesome selection of older titles at generally good prices. Sales people are okay.

Multimedia at St. Marks: Overpriced shit, fuck wad employees. Avoid.

J&L: Large selection of imports and certain older system. Everything is overpriced. Only good for window shopping, or for that really hard to find PC Engine Super CD title.

EVO: Not as good a selection as J&L, but much better prices. Their employees aren't total idiots like J&L. Your best Chinatown bet.

Circuit City's and Best Buy's: Often have great deals. A necessary stop at lest once a week.

... my fave game store was in the downtown wall street area, but closed down a few years ago after "you know what" happened. :(

Good descriptions. Especially-

Various EB's and Gamestops all over the city: Most have total idiots who work in them. You'd swear that they know nothing about video games. The worst one IMHO is the Gamestop on Astor and Broadway. It's entirely manned by extremely bitter ex employees of smaller independent game stores that were run out of business by, you guessed it, Gamestop.

hahha, I live right by there and know the stores that were run out.

While we are on this subject, does anyone know of any store in Manhattan that ussually gets games in on their shipping date? I ask because I want Showdown Legends Of wrestling, and its being shipped today. Long shot, but I thought I'd ask.

sohka88

If you are willing to go into queens, there is a store in flushing (corner of Main St and Northern Boulevard) that sells every game $5 cheaper than anywhere + they don't charge tax.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
DCX said:
Huh, i didn't think anyone from here been to Game World, i used to be a regular til i moved up north. Went i visit i have to go see them, i wonder if Jose still works there...that man has been trying to leave for a while...lol FGW for life i guess.

DCX

Hell, I grew up in the South Bx and everyone knows Fordham Road is one of the great spots for gawking at all kinds of ass. ;P

But yes, that store is great--there's a couple of more all along the strip that are worth checking out as well.

Top Bottom