• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help Me Decide: Demon's Souls or Godfall

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
New consoles are right around the corner, and since I'm buying both a PS5 and a Xbox Series X (and the fact that these games are $70 each) I find myself a little too strapped for cash to buy both of these games. To be fair, I'm kinda lukewarm on both of them - I played Demon's Souls on the PS3 (and subsequent Soulsbornes) and never really got into the frustrating difficulty / lose progress type gameplay. I'm willing to take another stab at it though, because the game is gorgeous and I'd be able to catch the online features I missed out on with the other games. Godfall looks great and more my speed, but it being Gearbox / 2K I feel like it's gonna be 75% off by Black Friday and that maybe I should just wait. Zero interest in Spider-Man or Destruction All Stars. Sackboy looks nice but probably wait on that one til I get a second Dualsense.

So, GAF, convince me which of these two games I should pick up at launch.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I could just say it. Godfall is the game based upon the foundation that Demon's Souls created. Not only that, but the Remake of Demon's Souls is suppose to be a huge advancement after the Shadow of the Colossus. Shadow of the Colossus was impressive looking.

sircaw

Banned
If you never got into demon souls before, i honestly think you are going to get to the same stumbling block again in terms of enjoyment.

Personally, i would buy demon souls Day one but i like all those types of games. If you do not enjoy those types of games you are going to find things frustrating. Pretty graphics will turn into being pissed of after a couple of bosses and being invaded.

For you, a safe bet would be Godfall plus you have astro boy to play.

sometime tomorrow there is a developer update on loot and progression from the godfall people, you should watch it, perhaps it might help you make up your mind

I am trying to give you advice for you, not what i think is best for me.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Demon's Souls for me personally, but honestly I based on your previous experiences I think it's possible that the game may just not be for you OP. I'm not being a dick by the way, seriously, as I hate gatekeeping and the "git gud" mentality, I'm just saying that the game is incredibly punishing, and there are parts later on that are just straight up unfair. I love the game, but there were parts where I just wanted to slam my head into an oak plank after losing for the umpteenth time. Unmatched atmosphere in terms of dark fantasy titles though, the game just bleeds that gothic "beauty in ruins" thing everywhere, and I imagine the PS5 port will even exceed the atmosphere.

Godfall isn't my kind of jam, so I can't really comment on that.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Honestly I'm having a hard time myself. I pre-ordered demon's souls but I want a MP game too and I don't know whether to do godfall or destruction all stars.

I'll probably just wait until one of my friends makes the decision and buy that one to have a guaranteed second player.

Aion002

If you didn't like the original Demon's Souls, the Dark Souls series and Bloodborne.... Well, no need to force yourself in something you clearly dislike.

As much as pains me to say: You probably should get Godfall.

For me, for example, the PS5 could have only one game on launch, if it was Demon's Souls, I would buy the damn console without even questioning.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Godfall is the new Heavenly Sword

And no one gave a flying fuck about HS a year after release, except Andy Serkis bank.

• LOL
Reactions: MrS

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Demon's Souls for me personally, but honestly I based on your previous experiences I think it's possible that the game may just not be for you OP.
I think you might be right. The gameplay loop never "clicked" with me and always felt frustrating and like my time wasn't being respected.

But I've also grown a lot as a gamer in the past few years and have come to embrace things like the roguelike genre - which feels very much the same way at first. I also never played a Souls game with the network features turned on, and I guess that's a pretty big part of the experience I was missing out on.

The Shepard

Disagree with the people saying not to try demons souls because you did not like it first time around, took me a couple of souls games before it clicked with me, there's that plus the fact it's a much higher resolution and Framerate with the obvious massive graphical update over the original so should feel new and may gel with you this time.

I didn't like shadow of the colossus first time around playing it on a prior gen but loved the remake on ps4.

Barnabot

if you were an dickhead I'd recommend GodFall at point blank. Would even say that it was the second coming of games and I'd convince you about that.
But no.

Demon Souls.

CAB_Life

I’ve played DS—imported the Hong Kong (?) English copy. I’d probably go Godfall since it’s an entirely new experience and more GaaS, but that’s just me.

S0ULZB0URNE

Gearbox makes a good game and dud.
This cycle has been this way since the 360 days.

Borderlands 3 was good so....

Last edited:
I don't understand threads like this.

Why not wait until both games are out in the wild and in reviewers hands?

You can then make a better informed decision on which game is better to pick up.

You're asking us forum dwellers which games to buy and we know as much about the games as you do.

Just wait for reviews and other peoples opinions on the game. Be patient.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Guys, I love Souls too but OP clearly wrote he tried Souls games and didn't get into them.

No matter how amazing DS looks OP would feel disappointment and regret for losing money.

Godfall seems like more fitting choice.

OP, go with your gameplay preference not peer pressure.

wUOzObN.gif

MrS

Banned
I don't understand threads like this.

Why not wait until both games are out in the wild and in reviewers hands?

You can then make a better informed decision on which game is better to pick up.

You're asking us forum dwellers which games to buy and we know as much about the games as you do.

Just wait for reviews and other peoples opinions on the game. Be patient.
Problem with modern reviews:
1) A lot of Reviewers are flat out garbage at games
2) A lot of Reviewers are failed journalists and despise the industry they're in
3) Sometimes include irrelevant info in the review to cloud your judgment i.e. crunch, political leanings of a game studio

I agree with the sentiment though: there is enough info out there on both games so that one should easily be able to decide which game to pick up.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
One is mostly guaranteed to be amazing.

The other has a $100 version to get an expansion in the future before you even know what the game really is.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Gearbox lost me with Battleborn and how badly it stood out against Overwatch at the time. I haven’t really found a new reason to buy their titles. Borderlands felt like it moved to the beat of its own drum. I wouldn’t mind owning Godfall. I know for sure which one I’d want.

It’s like Lords of the Fallen. I already felt like I had what I wanted when I had it with Demon’s Souls back in 2009. I didn’t exactly want to jump ship because their ideas were similar. I tried Lords of the Fallen, but it wasn’t the same.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’d go godfall because not a fan of souls games but that’s not saying much.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Demons Souls by a mile.

Godfall looks like generic gutter-trash.

But seriously, as always with these things, wait for reviews.

Should have been first post.
Too slow GHG GHG

Godfall looks like ass.
Its gonna die a death faster than Avengers and Anthem, the gamplay doesnt even look marginally entertaining enough to keep a player engaged and if the gameplay is trash why would I care about the silly loot they are gonna offer me. (bet you the loot is shit too)

^Maybe thats too harsh, being a launch title and console exclusive is sure to keep it alive for a while....but nobody is gonna remember the game in like 4 months....keep the dollar and invest it in some good headphones or literally any other game, id even opt for Assassins Creed Valhalla instead of this even though its crossgen.

Its a by the numbers game that inexplicably got past the pitch meeting, then someone actually saw a proto gameplay demo....had to have gotten the best head of his or her life and decided the world needs to see this.

Generic ass GPU boxart looking make everything shinyass shit trash tier lack of inspiration foofoo designs my first day in CG modeling class premiseless piece of shovelware.
geforce5700.jpg

JimiNutz

Banned
If you don't like Souls games then it probably makes sense to try Godfall first, especially as it has a strong MP component.

Might as well try Godfall first and see if you enjoy the MP. If the MP doesn't grip you then you can always sell/trade it and get Demon's Souls later.

Reactions: MrS

Vawn

Banned
Demon's Souls is the obvious answer.

Godfall could be good, but we need to see reviews. Regardless, Demon's Souls is a 100% must-buy, and is one of my most anticipated games in 20+ years.

jshackles

keep the dollar and invest it in some good headphones or literally any other game, id even opt for Assassins Creed Valhalla instead of this even though its crossgen.
Should have mentioned in the OP but I picked up Assassin's Creed Valhalla for the Series X

MrS

Banned
Should have been first post.
Too slow GHG GHG

Godfall looks like ass.
Its gonna die a death faster than Avengers and Anthem, the gamplay doesnt even look marginally entertaining enough to keep a player engaged and if the gameplay is trash why would I care about the silly loot they are gonna offer me. (bet you the loot is shit too)

^Maybe thats too harsh, being a launch title and console exclusive is sure to keep it alive for a while....but nobody is gonna remember the game in like 4 months....keep the dollar and invest it in some good headphones or literally any other game, id even opt for Assassins Creed Valhalla instead of this even though its crossgen.

Its a by the numbers game that inexplicably got past the pitch meeting, then someone actually saw a proto gameplay demo....had to have gotten the best head of his or her life and decided the world needs to see this.

Generic ass GPU boxart looking make everything shinyass shit trash tier lack of inspiration foofoo designs my first day in CG modeling class premiseless piece of shovelware.
geforce5700.jpg
>slates Godfall
>recommends buying copy and paste Assassin's Creed that's the same garbage Ubisoft product every fuckin year

Absolutely clueless. It's far too early to say that Godfall will suffer the same fate as Anthem and Avengers. You bring up the box art - talk about judging the game by its cover. Absurd.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
New consoles are right around the corner, and since I'm buying both a PS5 and a Xbox Series X (and the fact that these games are $70 each) I find myself a little too strapped for cash to buy both of these games. To be fair, I'm kinda lukewarm on both of them - I played Demon's Souls on the PS3 (and subsequent Soulsbornes) and never really got into the frustrating difficulty / lose progress type gameplay. I'm willing to take another stab at it though, because the game is gorgeous and I'd be able to catch the online features I missed out on with the other games. Godfall looks great and more my speed, but it being Gearbox / 2K I feel like it's gonna be 75% off by Black Friday and that maybe I should just wait. Zero interest in Spider-Man or Destruction All Stars. Sackboy looks nice but probably wait on that one til I get a second Dualsense.

So, GAF, convince me which of these two games I should pick up at launch.
It time to graduate sir.

Demon's Souls. Harpoon this white whale.

Embrace the failure, for when victory arrives, it shall be glorious. Finally beating a hard boss in a Souls game bring a sense of relief and elation I haven't seen in games in a very long time. Hopefully Bluepoint was able to replicate the difficulty.

Oh and Godfall is trash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom