• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me decide on my next Series X game!

Which Series X game should I play next

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RPS37

I finally finished a game!
I beat High on Life last night and now im hyped to finish some more games!
I’ve started every game in the poll but never got too far.

I also just got a new OLED (LG C2), so I’m excited to see what everything looks like on it. Currently I’m pretty deep in God of War: Ragnarok and I’m trying to focus on that on my PS5, but I’m not sure where I should go next on my Xbox.

I leave my fate in your hands, Gaffers.

ParaSeoul

This would look great on that C2
IE9udY8.jpg

Last edited:

MaulerX

If you beat High on Life I'll assume you're on Game Pass.

If that's the case I'll recommend A Plague Tale Requiem which is also on Game Pass.

I just beat the game. It's without a doubt one of the best looking games so far this gen. A visual tour-de-force. It'll look stunning on your TV.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's logical to go through Plague Tale Innocence first since it's the only one up there that has 2 games from one series on your list. I recommend spreading those two out as much as possible, so play part 1 now so some time can pass before you play part 2. You wouldn't want to play them back to back. I'd recommend playing it in French. The English VA is a little rough.

If I had to pick from only what's up there, I'd say Tunic would be a nice change of pace after Ragnarok. But it may not click with you, and can be pretty difficult.

If you're not burned out on cinematic AAA but want more comedy, Guardians of the Galaxy is actually amusing and made me laugh a few times. Not as funny as High on Life, but it's good. I wouldn't recommend playing it right after Ragnarok though.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Hollow Knight or Tinkin.

Hollow Knight is very trying, I quit it 3 times before I said "Ok I'll give this a fair shot" and coped with some of the shitty shortcomings it has. Now I'm super hooked and waiting eagerly for the sequel that might come out some decade.

TrebleShot

You’ll enjoy GOTG more than Elden Ring , concise story, good gameplay, fantastic graphics and amazing soundtrack.

cireza

Banned
Project Zero
Jet Set Radio
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Curse of the Moon 1 and 2
Catherine
Lightning Returns
...so many great games on this console ^^

In the list I would pick Tunic.

Last edited:

RPS37

Rage 2 is the only correct answer
I’m on the last area and the death towers are kicking my ass so I shelved it.

Elden Ring > Plague Tale innocence followed by requiem.
This might have to be the move.

It's logical to go through Plague Tale Innocence first since it's the only one up there that has 2 games from one series on your list. I recommend spreading those two out as much as possible, so play part 1 now so some time can pass before you play part 2. You wouldn't want to play them back to back. I'd recommend playing it in French. The English VA is a little rough.

If I had to pick from only what's up there, I'd say Tunic would be a nice change of pace after Ragnarok. But it may not click with you, and can be pretty difficult.

If you're not burned out on cinematic AAA but want more comedy, Guardians of the Galaxy is actually amusing and made me laugh a few times. Not as funny as High on Life, but it's good. I wouldn't recommend playing it right after Ragnarok though.
I wanted to play Requiem because some have compared its graphical quality to Ragnarok. I got like 2 hours into Requiem and the same with Innocence. I tried to watch a YouTube video summary of Innocence.

I got like maybe 4 hours into Tunic and shit started getting a bit difficult.

I'm pretty damn far in GOTG, but i think the last time I played I had to bump the difficulty down.
Hollow Knight or Tinkin.

Hollow Knight is very trying, I quit it 3 times before I said "Ok I'll give this a fair shot" and coped with some of the shitty shortcomings it has. Now I'm super hooked and waiting eagerly for the sequel that might come out some decade.
Hollow Knight seems pretty dope. I got to the green area and the map, and started fighting Hornet, but I’m not kicking her ass yet?

Because it's awesome.
What is it? Is it on Game Pass? I’m going to go check out a trailer.

You’ll enjoy GOTG more than Elden Ring , concise story, good gameplay, fantastic graphics and amazing soundtrack.
I was digging GOTG for a bit but see above.

Doom Eternal is the only right answer. It is one of the best games of all time. It is also better than Elden Borings.

Doom Eternal…I got pretty far but I made it to an arena area and am just getting whomped on.

it’s pretty obvious what game is going to probably win. Maybe I’ll go with the second place winner at the same time or next after.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What is it? Is it on Game Pass? I’m going to go check out a trailer.
It's on GP. It's pretty unusual, and you likely wont be impressed by a trailer. It's like a fusion of 3D Mario + old school collectathon platformers + Pikmin.

If you like any platformers like that, just jump in and give it a chance to open up. It's much better than I thought in the first hour. Can be finished in 8-10 hours easily. Signalis is another great one if you like old PS1 survival horror games. On GP.

GenericUser

RDR2 is amazing on the SeX in 4K. I played it last year on my new xbox and it was awesome. I would recommend playing that game. I spent like 30hrs with hunting alone.

Go with Prey.

Either you would love it so much you will blitz through it.

Or you will not gel with it and drop it in 5 hrs.

Either ways it will be over fast.

GOAT tier game by the way.

b0uncyfr0

I think it's gotta be a shorter game so you don't burnout. Leave the big open world types alone and focus on a good story to keep you engaged. I'd go with one of these.

• Guardians of the Galaxy -- Barely makes the list
  • Cyberpunk 2077 -- Decent now
  • Doom Eternal -- Action, goes great with redbull/vodka:messenger_beaming:
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice -- Mind fuck
  • Prey -- No clue about this
  • Control -- Solid story plus mind fucky
  • Both plague tale games - something different plus emotional strings.
The other single players arent good enough frankly.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
Plague tale to cleanse the palate.

Follow up with some intense action with Doom.

Then open world with red dead.

Mix your genres

RPS37

Dude ya got to enter the zeitgeist and play Elden Ring. Even if you don’t like that type of game ya got to play it.
I fell for the hype when it release and got 10’s from everyone.
I ended up playing a couple hours just getting killed whenever I had to take on more than one enemy at a time and then just running past enemies once I got the mount.
Also not that graphically impressive from what I remember.
if it wins, I might play second place just to spite y’all.
either that or start a new game with a different class.

Elden Ring followed by Control and DOOM Eternal are must plays.
Control got so damn obtuse after a while. That map killed me.
Eternal is pretty dope and I got stuck but I bet I could power through.
RDR2 is amazing on the SeX in 4K. I played it last year on my new xbox and it was awesome. I would recommend playing that game. I spent like 30hrs with hunting alone.
RDR2 I got a little bit past getting a horse and the game explaining how you can stow shit on it. I got overwhelmed but I‘m aware people say it is still unmatched graphically.
I’m tempted to give it another shot.

Go with Prey.

Either you would love it so much you will blitz through it.

Or you will not gel with it and drop it in 5 hrs.

Either ways it will be over fast.

GOAT tier game by the way.
I think that already happened with me with Prey.

I think it's gotta be a shorter game so you don't burnout. Leave the big open world types alone and focus on a good story to keep you engaged. I'd go with one of these.

• Guardians of the Galaxy -- Barely makes the list
  • Cyberpunk 2077 -- Decent now
  • Doom Eternal -- Action, goes great with redbull/vodka:messenger_beaming:
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice -- Mind fuck
  • Prey -- No clue about this
  • Control -- Solid story plus mind fucky
  • Both plague tale games - something different plus emotional strings.
The other single players arent good enough frankly.
it sounds like you’re suggesting either CP2077, Doom, or Hellblade.
I got a couple hours into the first Plague Tale. did the first boss.
The controls seemed archaic. I was just going to skip the first and play the second for the graphics.

Plague tale to cleanse the palate.

Follow up with some intense action with Doom.

Then open world with red dead.

Mix your genres
Gotta mix the genres.

Witcher 3 best open world rpg.
I told myself I was waiting for the next gen update to get back in and it’s out so MAYBE.

SHA

Could you list your previous games?, judging from the list you're the type of who only focus on gameplay.

RPS37

Could you list your previous games?, judging from the list you're the type of who only focus on gameplay.
I just finished High on Life. Before that, I finished Miles Morales and Ratchet. Before that, Paychonauts 2, Ori 2, The Gunk, Firewatch…
It’s been a while since I finished an Xbox game. I keep starting them then quitting!

intbal

Prey, because it's a different game on Series X.
60fps from FPS Boost and the horrible loading times are gone.
It's a much better experience than on 8th gen machines.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo Infinite is a legitimate open world with FOB, side mission quests, the best since Halo 2 and at 15 missions, the new AI Cortona, map, Grappleshot, Echo 216 ally Marine side missions FOB locations, pressure to escape the Banished all feel fresh. And that’s just the campaign.

SHA

I just finished High on Life. Before that, I finished Miles Morales and Ratchet. Before that, Paychonauts 2, Ori 2, The Gunk, Firewatch…
It’s been a while since I finished an Xbox game. I keep starting them then quitting!
Elden Ring
Halo Infinite
Doom Eternal
Red Dead
The Witcher
,you mentioned miles morales and Ratchet , you clearly care about the amount of stuff and possibilities you could do in games, if not and you only care about experience then the plague 1&2 and hellblade would be a decent choice.

RPS37

I’m supposed to be playing Elden Ring or Witcher 3, but these fools got me addicted to Tinykin.
Is this what Pikmin was like?

Note: I promise y’all ima try to get into Witcher once I stop playing this shit.

RPS37

Update: I finished Tinykin in 10 hours, now I think it’s time to tackle Witcher 3.
I refuse to give Elden Ring another shot.
Will report back.

Fredrik

Elden Ring

But you need lots of time to play it, took me over 100 hours to do my first playthrough. And you might want to try again with another build, I’m on my 4th.

Go with Hollow Knight next, one of the top 10 metroidvanias for sure, it needs to be experienced.
I assume you’ve already played Ori and the Will of the Wisps? If not you can play that as well.

I really like Tunic as well. And RDR2.

EruditeHobo

The most obvious but ultimately still incorrect answers are leading, as Elden Ring and The Witcher 3 are obviously great in many ways and most people acknowledge as much. But they are also massive undertakings, especially ER.

Hollow Knight is probably the next-best game on the list, and is a great game which can be completed in a fairly reasonable amount of time... which would allow you to move on to dive in to something like Elden Ring! So that's why it is the correct choice.

Hollow Knight. Final answer.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

play the first hour of every game on game pass.

you will get the 90% of what each game has to offer.

"Have 1 bite of every different kind of meal, just because you can! You'll be full and you'll get the idea of what every dish was going for!"

One of the worst pieces of advice in terms of a recommendation I've ever seen. Kudos. (y)

Top Bottom