• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me pick a good RPG to play

What jrpg should I play

• DQ7

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • DQ9

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • FF14

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Nier Automata

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Shin megami tensei v

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters

SantaC

This is the list i am choosing from because I have basically played everything else.

-DQ7
-DQ9
-FF14, i never played an mmo before. Is it worth it?
-NieR: Automata
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Yeah, my jrpg backlog isnt huge anymore since I have played hundreds of jrpgs throughout 35 years of gaming.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
hero

This coming pretty soon.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Out of your list, Nier: Automata. You could also try Persona 5, Yakuza 7 or the upcoming SMT V.

Labadal

From that list:

Dragon Quest VII if you're looking for a fun, traditional, turn-based jrpg.

Nier: Automata if you're craving an action jrpg, with a darker tone.

Orenji Neko

DQ7 is fantastic on Playstation and 3DS。3DS version is well done and has some improvement。I heard western version does not have symphonic BGM on 3DS but I am not sure。
DQ9 is great as well。 It felt similar to DQ3 which gives me bias as DQ3 is childhood favorite and a big deal。I do prefer it to either of DQ7 version。
FF14 is very easy to play。 Can go for just storyline and complete then subscribe again when more added but game is so big now you will be playing for a while。Lot of content。 Lot of challenging late content if you go for it。

Nier was boring to me。Not bad game but I did not care for it。 Very good BGM。I did finish but will never play again。

Cannot speak for last game on your list as I never played。

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
FFXIV is a vertical progression grind treadmill. They re-release the same content every patch with a new coat of paint and a higher item level.

If that sounds appealing, give it a shot. But everyone I know who played it for the story never lasted very long. You have to want to grind. It's essentially your second job or your entire video game hobby in and of itself.

Last edited:
FFXIV is a vertical progression grind treadmill. They re-release the same content every patch with a new coat of paint and a higher item level.

If that sounds appealing, give it a shot. But everyone I know who played it for the story never lasted very long. You have to want to grind. It's essentially your second job or your entire video game hobby in and of itself.
You're describing FFXI, not FFXIV. FFXIV isn't that grindy, but it does take a long time to get through all that story and expansions. It's just a very long game (feels more like several games, as each expansion feels like its own, full-length JRPG).

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
You're describing FFXI, not FFXIV. FFXIV isn't that grindy, but it does take a long time to get through all that story and expansions. It's just a very long game (feels more like several games, as each expansion feels like its own, full-length JRPG).
False. It's a vertical progression treadmill with the same patch structure literally every patch for years. Same content, different coat of paint.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Looking for a good RPG on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X/S/One, and Switch? Thankfully 2021 had plenty of great ones.

Nier: Replicant ver. 1.22474487139…

Platform : PC PS4 Xbox One

Release Date : April 23, 2021

MARVEL'S Guardians of the Galaxy

Platform : PC PS4 PS5 XSX|S Xbox One Switch

Release Date : October 26, 2021

Darkest Dungeon 2

Platform : PC

Release Date : October 26, 2021 (early access)

Eastward

Platform : PC Switch

Release Date : September 16, 2021

Bravely Default 2

Platform : Switch February 26, 2021

Release Date : PC September 2, 2021

Shin Megami Tensei V

Platform : Switch

Release Date : November 12, 2021

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

Platform : PC PS4 Xbox One

Release Date : May 14, 2021

SCARLET NEXUS

Platform : PC PS4 PS5 XSX|S Xbox One

Release Date : June 25, 2021

Monster Hunter Rise

Platform : Switch

Release Date : March 26, 2021

Tales of Arise

Platform : PC PS4 PS5 XSX|S Xbox One

Release Date : September 10, 2021

BONUS

ENDER LILIES: Quietus of the Knights

Platform : PC Switch June 22, 2021

Release Date : Xbox One XSX|S June 29, 2021 / PS4 July 20, 2021

Persona 5 Strikers

Platform : PC PS4 Switch

Release Date : February 23, 2021

The Riftbreaker

Platform : PC PS5 XSX|S

Release Date : October 14, 2021

Outriders

Platform : PC PS4 PS5 Xbox One XSX|S Stadia

Release Date : April 1, 2021

Biomutant

Platform : PC PS5 Xbox One

Release Date : May 25, 2021

Chernobylite

Platform : PC 28 July 2021

Release Date : PS4 Xbox One 28 September 2021

0:00 Intro
0:12 Nier: Replicant ver. 1.22474487139…
1:45 MARVEL'S Guardians of the Galaxy
3:06 Darkest Dungeon 2
4:30 Eastward
5:51 Bravely Default 2
6:38 Shin Megami Tensei V
7:25 Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
8:05 SCARLET NEXUS
9:11 Monster Hunter Rise
10:09 Tales of Arise
10:54 BONUS

Rykan

Wasn't DQ9 supposed to be this co - op/online focused entry? I played it solo for a bit and it was reasonably fun.

False. It's a vertical progression treadmill with the same patch structure literally every patch for years. Same content, different coat of paint.
Hope you've put your flameshield up, FFXIV's playerbase does not respond well to criticism of their mixture of WoW and singleplayer RPG.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Hope you've put your flameshield up, FFXIV's playerbase does not respond well to criticism of their mixture of WoW and singleplayer RPG.
No one here bit. But I know what you mean. I played 14 from the 2.0 launch until a couple years ago and I was never shy about giving my honest critique on the game.

Shifty1897

In my opinion, only SMT V and Nier Automata are worth playing in that list.

If you've never played an MMO before, nothing about FF14 is going to blow your mind.
TMS is cursed with one of the worst stories and writing of any JRPG ever, but the battle system is a ton of fun.
Dragon Quest 7 is tedious.
I've never played DQ9.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

If there's one genre that you can rely on to deliver at least a handful of standout games year on year without fail, it's role playing games. A stalwart of the industry, this is the one style of games that has not only grown and expanded since the infancy of the medium, but had a far greater influence on games as a whole than any other.

2021 didn't quite have any games that might be classified as all-time greats, but even so, there was no shortage of excellent RPGs that one can sink dozens upon dozens of hours into, if not more. Here, we're going to recognize those games, with our nominees for the best RPGs of the year, followed by the game we felt was the greatest of them all.

Top Bottom