• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me understand 32:9 monitors. Samsung G9. My experience has been miserable

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

well not everyone has that issue…

It appears to have been fixed. I can run Quake 2 in full 32:9. It took a bit of tinkering and setting the game to GPU scaling seems to have resolved much of it. I dont really like it that wide, but it's already growing on me.

Unreal and UT99 are going to take some time it seems.

Last edited:

mclaren777

I have a 32:10 ultrawide (Lenovo Y44w-10) that I use for sim racing and I love it.

46OFVnV.jpg

NinjaBoiX

Except there is no standard. Cinema is not 16:9. TVs may be 16:9 as standard now, but not monitors.
So it’s entirely understandable that most games are designed with a 16:9 presentation in mind, no?
What? The only thing that determines whether you have to turn your head left to right when using a monitor (especially if not curved) is your sitting distance, not the aspect ratio of said monitor.

If you have to turn your head then you're too close, get a deeper desk and/or sit further away.
Oh yeah, obviously you could just move further away, but than the vertical real estate would seem smaller so you could take in the extended horizontal image.

I dunno, it’s just not a good trade off to me. I’ve always seen these monitors and just thought to myself:

giphy.gif

I have a 32:10 ultrawide (Lenovo Y44w-10) that I use for sim racing and I love it.

46OFVnV.jpg
I do kind of get it for stuff like this tbf, if you’re REALLY into sims and have loads of spare room and money, then I guess it makes sense.

Last edited:

Soodanim

So it’s entirely understandable that most games are designed with a 16:9 presentation in mind, no?

Oh yeah, obviously you could just move further away, but than the vertical real estate would seem smaller so you could take in the extended horizontal image.

I dunno, it’s just not a good trade off to me. I’ve always seen these monitors and just thought to myself:

giphy.gif

I do kind of get it for stuff like this tbf, if you’re REALLY into sims and have loads of spare room and money, then I guess it makes sense.
My simple guess without having used UW but being interested in 21:9 is that it’s mostly immersion. Humans have vision that is wider than it is high, so a screen that more accurately fills that view will give us more of the benefits of peripheral vision, which is a more immersive experience by way of being more natural.

Garibaldi

Never buy ultrawide for multitasking. Simple as that. Hell, never buy ultrawide for anything. Besides some major AAA games, most indies, Japanese ports and classics, you'll be looking at a lot of black bars. There are some users here on gaf who will tell you that they had 0 issues with ultrawide and can play all games fine. They are lying.
Nah, you're wrong here. I use my ultrawide for work and it's been completely game changing. The amount of real estate it offers makes your statement completely false. Gaming wise, most titles these days are largely compatible and if they aren't pcgamingwiki will lead you in the right direction to fix them. If not, then fair enough you get black bars. Big deal.

I have one for productivity/work. Not worth it. It ended up giving me the weirdest eye strain. Not sure if it's because the light from a curved monitor causes weird things, but now I have to wear blue light reflecting glasses at all times.

You've calibrated it to your environment yeah? I don't have any issues with mine. I used Rtings to get a baseline calibration profile and tweaked it a little for my light levels. LG 38GN950. It's light levels and colours are great I find.

Last edited:

gundalf

Nah, you're wrong here. I use my ultrawide for work and it's been completely game changing. The amount of real estate it offers makes your statement completely false. Gaming wise, most titles these days are largely compatible and if they aren't pcgamingwiki will lead you in the right direction to fix them. If not, then fair enough you get black bars. Big deal.

Yep, I also only use ultrawide monitors in my workstation setups since 7 years and never looked back.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Do you have Windows 11? The window snap feature (hover over the maximize button) works wonders for these types of setups.

If you have Windows 10, there is a Microft powertoy called Fancy Zones that is similar.

Either of these will help you manage your windows and place them side by side easily.
Life without fancy zones is a life not worth living 👍🏻

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This monitor is getting returned. Not worth the cost for the amount of issues I had. Thankfully GameStops return was as simple as printing the label and I’ll drop it off at a local FedEx location. I’m disappointed but at the same time I’m not THAT upset either since $900 is still $900. The only money I lost was being forced to buy a Pro membership. I’ll go back to my old 2x1440p setup. I’ll look into a 1440p 16x9 with 240Hz and HDR even if it’s pseudo HDR.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’m getting this monitor instead. It has great reviews. I can use VRR and ELMB at the same time at the expense of HDR, which I’m fine with. I’ll pair this with my BenQ 1440p 60Hz

If any of you have this let me know.
It’s not 240 Hz, since those were $500 .

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
yeah your right, it’s a pos. Better just dump it.
I’m returning it today after work. I’m going back to my two 1440p setup. I’m replacing my Viotek 1440p with the Asus VG27AQ. That has enough features for me to consider. Amazon also has a pain free return policy. I want to see if ELMB is worth it.

nikos

Been using 21:9 and 32:9 monitors for years and it sounds like a lot of user error is going on in here. I read through the entire thread and still don't understand what the issue is.

Most games natively support utlrawide. There are usually mods for those that don't. PCGamingWiki is a good resource for that. If you want to force games to run at 16:9, for whatever reason, all that usually takes is setting a 16:9 resolution. If it's not centered with black bars, it's most likely a setting. Arranging windows on screen has to do with OS/software and has nothing to do with your monitor or aspect ratio.

Seems like maybe things were just not set up properly, though there generally isn't much setup involved to begin with.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
nikos nikos youre correct when you say you didn’t read the thread. The issue is not modern games. They run just fine.

It’s older games and this monitor has major issues handling those resolutions. The monitor causes PC crashes and has weird issues like the screen fading to black when starting something that isn’t running at native issues.

I shouldn’t have to unplug and replug a monitor.

either way. It’s irrelevant as I am going back to my old 2x1440p setup. I had no issues there.

dave_d

I’m getting this monitor instead. It has great reviews. I can use VRR and ELMB at the same time at the expense of HDR, which I’m fine with. I’ll pair this with my BenQ 1440p 60Hz

If any of you have this let me know.
It’s not 240 Hz, since those were $500 .
Hey that's my monitor. It's been pretty good so far. Admittedly GSync-Compatible means Freesync which means no GSync with my old 970. Works fine with my 3070 though. I don't really use BFI but I probably should try it out. (It does make the screen a little dim) Can't say I've really noticed the HDR even though it technically supports it. Oh the speakers on it suck. I mean the only annoyance is that it takes a couple of seconds to go from asleep to on. (It's noticeably than my old dell 22") Oh, and I will admit that I think 27" is a little small if I want to play a game while leaning back in my chair.(IE using a control or joystick.) Overall a pretty good monitor. (Admittedly at the time I was looking for 4k 32" 120hz which didn't exist when I bought it 2 years ago. Those things are around now but are around $1000)

Esppiral

And that's why I hack all my games myself and don't have to worry about having native support for ultra wide screens.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
And that's why I hack all my games myself and don't have to worry about having native support for ultra wide screens.
Most older games do have ports that will work. Unreal and unreal tournament has major issues on my 32:9. Although I realized that I never downloaded the unofficial patched which I think add true widescreen support. ID games will run on anything. Rage still has issues though. I can’t get that to run higher than 60 fps.

Last edited:

Excess

You've calibrated it to your environment yeah? I don't have any issues with mine. I used Rtings to get a baseline calibration profile and tweaked it a little for my light levels. LG 38GN950. It's light levels and colours are great I find.
Yes, I calibrated it with actual calibration software and tools. I hate it.

.hacked

my brother has one of the newer Samsung Odyssey and it is breath taking. I am floored every time I see it, makes my dual 1440p setup look ghetto. Maybe the newer ones have better options, that thing is amazing.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
These things are just too unwieldy and the curve is too much IMO. Probably a smart move getting out from under it.

I have been using a LG CX 55 for controller games and a 32 inch 1440p monitor for m+kb stuff. Ultrawide is cool but for me personally I just like big 16:9 displays.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
These things are just too unwieldy and the curve is too much IMO. Probably a smart move getting out from under it.

I have been using a LG CX 55 for controller games and a 32 inch 1440p monitor for m+kb stuff. Ultrawide is cool but for me personally I just like big 16:9 displays.
This is where I will remain for the time being.

nikos

nikos nikos youre correct when you say you didn’t read the thread. The issue is not modern games. They run just fine.

It’s older games and this monitor has major issues handling those resolutions. The monitor causes PC crashes and has weird issues like the screen fading to black when starting something that isn’t running at native issues.

I shouldn’t have to unplug and replug a monitor.

either way. It’s irrelevant as I am going back to my old 2x1440p setup. I had no issues there.

I said I read the entire thread.

I still play older games as well, UT99 being one of them. A lot of older games support ultrawide better than some newer games. All you had to do was press ~ to open the game's console and type "fov [value]" to compensate for the resolution. You didn't need a mod for that. You'll have to do that with 16:9 as well, unless you like playing at 90 FOV.

21:9 is perfect for me (I have an LG 34 inch ultra gear) and weirdly I do not get the migraines I got with two screens for work). Games seem fine on it.

The 32:9 Samsung one was out of the question for me as it does not support full screen virtual desktop connection at that resolution, which I use for work. People moaned about distortion at the edge too with the aggressive curve.

Top Bottom