• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hengshui high school, top prep school for China’s gaokao exam

AngelaLifman

Neo Member
I think that the Chinese do not value human freedom at all, so for them burnout and exhaustion, even in childhood, is a normal practice. I'm not saying that such children do not have a normal childhood and they spend their best years running between classes and reading boring books.

AngelaLifman

Neo Member

It sounds………….a little unreasonable. The kids sleep in their clothes to save time and run between every class. Everything that is not more studying is punished.

15 hours of studying per day, 7 days per week, for three years, all to do well on one exam.

The results are that 90% of the students score well enough on the gaokao to get into a top university, so it’s a way for kids from poor families to become upwardly mobile.

Some interviews with students:

Everyone in class looks sleep deprived and burnt out. One girl said she fell behind and studied so much to catch up that she didn’t have time to wash her hair for 1.5 weeks. This is presented as a good thing.

I don’t think this makes sense to subject to the students, as performance decreases sharply when you grind for the entire day without rest. Your brain organizes data and imprints learning on your off time, and not just when you sleep. That being said, they appear to achieve positive results with their methods. If I were in the place of these students, I would start using https://edubirdie.com/pay-for-homework to perform some tasks, because not everyone can do all the tasks and at the same time have a little rest. I used this resource to write an essay in college and I really liked it. It can be useful for all students.

Teacher: “Those who advocate the contradiction between quality education and exam education, especially those who regard the gaokao as doing exercises, fail to understand the gaokao. According to my personal experience, the gaokao is very important for the improvement of comprehensive literacy.”

Any gaffers take the gaokao back in the day?

I wonder how long after such exhaustion students begin to lose the opportunity to think normally and get at least some pleasure from life. It seems to me that they become zombies, some of them give up, and the most motivated receive a reward in the form of good test results. But whether those efforts from such a way of learning are worth it, I do not undertake to answer this question.
I hope that in time China will become more civilized and will value human freedom more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tschumi

imagine living in a country with a larger middle class than the USA's entire population, if you want to do anything legit you really do need to be exceptional, which is something extremely hard to achieve in a system catered for over 1bn people...

I'm not saying this is good, makes me sick, but i understand why some asian parents - a notoriously results-oriented subgroup, so say the stereotypes - would think this is the best thing they can do for their kid. They'd be thinking "three years of hell for a lifetime of a good paying job"...

I just hope none of them have mobile phone game addictions that rob them of what little sleep they're allowed

Top Bottom