• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hercules (1983) Starring Lou Ferrigno, Sybil Danning Dir. by Luigi Cozzi

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Hercules is a 1983 science fantasy adventure film written and directed by Luigi Cozzi and starring Lou Ferrigno. The film is based on Greek mythology and follows the exploits of Hercules.

Does anyone else love this glorious slice of b-movie cheese? Brought to us from the crazed mind of Dario Argento compatriot Luigi Cozzi, the man responsible for the similarly batshit Starcrash (1978). Luigi was another kind of filmmaker, interested in capitalizing on pulp sci fi and fantasy movies that shamelessly ripped off the look and effects of the big blockbusters of the day.

The opening of Hercules is a glossy 80s glam sci fi Star Wars style origin of the universe, complete with slow pans of models, and the shattered remains of "Pandora's Jar" flying through space. Oh yeah, it is terribly inaccurate wrt Greek mythology. But it is so much campy fun. Starring TV's own The Incredible Hulk, Lou Ferrigno, as well as some very beautiful Italian actresses and lots of random other Italians as well. They shot this and the much less effects-heavy sequel back to back, in famous budget movie style.

There are lots of silly effects. He mostly battles very cheap looking "giant robots".

tumblr_p66d4yicsv1sqf5tdo1_400.gif

Here he is reflecting lasers with a sheild.

Animation10.gif

At one point he travels to Hell via a rainbow bridge.

tumblr_p66d4yicsv1sqf5tdo8_400.gif

At one point Hercules throws a bear into outer space.

tumblr_p8c34fN0Zq1wzvt9qo8_500.gifv

o2T5xPD.gif

He throws a lot of things in this movie! Most of his trials can be solved through brute strength, luckily enough.

When he needs to go to Atlantis, he has Circe summon a chariot and rope, then tie it to a stone pillar, then it throws it into space, and they jump in the chariot. This is their makeshift spaceship.

tumblr_p66d4yicsv1sqf5tdo7_400.gif

Circe is played by the beautiful Mirella D'Angelo, who starts out as a hideous witch and then after drinking 10 drops of his holy blood, transforms into a magical fantasy babe who travels with Hercules on his adventures.

tumblr_p8ew27Czov1wzvt9qo1_500.gifv

Lots of fantasy babes in this one.

herc_sybil.jpg

In a lot of places they just go nuts with the costume design.

adventures-of-hercules-1985.jpg

I love the part in Hercules's origin story where he is a baby about to go over a waterfall and Zeus reaches down and A GIANT PURPLE HAND COMES OUT OF THE WATERFALL AND SAVES HIM.

Damn, this movie is crazy. Yall have to see it, if you haven't already.

Last edited:
I have this and the sequel on one of those double disc dvds from way back. I wish I could enjoy it but I always found it boring as fuck. The whole planets intro alone goes on forever. It'd be pretty amusing as a clipped version featuring all the best scenes though(Which the Op practically is). His cheap ass fight with the bear is prob the most amusing part. =P

I guess it's better than Lou's outing as Sinbad though.

Last edited:

dan76

I love it, almost as much as Starcrash. Yeah it's a b-movie and full of cheese, but the visuals are great. Look at the damn colours, everything is so bold. Those Italian movies a overflowing with creative ideas, i think they are stunning to look at, much richer than current effects laden cgi fests... and the women...

If you enjoy this also check out Fulci's Conquest.

Now that's a movie I can get behind. Other than that dolphin sequence I think it's actually a legitimately good movie and only really let down by the special effects (Except the gore scenes, of course). Though I can't really harp on the effects too much since they pretty much executed the script as best they could with a non-budget. Movie also had something of a shocking twist I did not expect. Shame the movie kinda killed Fulci's career and sent him on a downturn from then on. =P

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I love it, almost as much as Starcrash. Yeah it's a b-movie and full of cheese, but the visuals are great. Look at the damn colours, everything is so bold. Those Italian movies a overflowing with creative ideas, i think they are stunning to look at, much richer than current effects laden cgi fests... and the women...

thanks i will check that out! never heard of it. the poster is amazing. the guy almost looks like Simon Belmont!

MV5BNGE1ZGNmZmUtNzY0ZC00MGUzLWE4NTAtNTVlYjIzNWM4NzJkL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Yes , a very long time ago and enjoyed it cheese and all.
Anything with Greek mythology was a watch for me back in the day and Lou Ferrigno at least looked the part.

Top Bottom