• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here’s What Breath of the Wild Looks Like in 8K And with Ray Tracing

Star-Lord

It looks pretty, but graphics have never really been the focus in any Nintendo game. Their priority has always been delivering a satisfying gaming experience. And, for the most part, they’ve succeeded. The graphics in their games haven’t been ugly by any means, but visual fidelity has always been the least of their concerns.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
It looks pretty, but graphics have never really been the focus in any Nintendo game. Their priority has always been delivering a satisfying gaming experience. And, for the most part, they’ve succeeded. The graphics in their games haven’t been ugly by any means, but visual fidelity has always been the least of their concerns.

Eh disagree. Until Wii Nintendo were on top of the game graphics wise.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Dont feel that way. I don't support their "fuck graphics" viewpoint. It's insulting to artists.
what's insulting to artists are people that require games to look realistic or technically prolific, to be visually pleasing. BOTW has good art direction, even if the hardware is limited. Good artists can deal with handycaps.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A franchise like Zelda deserves next gen hardware, I just feel like Nintendo makes amazing games but yes their fans are happy with mediocre graphics.

Mozza

Its a complete joke how they just completely stopped giving a shit about graphics. Havent played a Nintendo game since Gamecube because of it.
Their games still look good, just a different style that's all, I play the latest resident evil game on my Series x and love it, then play a little Animal crossing on my Switch and that looks good too, awesome time to be a gamer imho.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Wave Race, Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion 1, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, to name a few.
What an odd way to win the argument, by backing up my claim that Nintendo has never really focused on graphics by naming some examples of that. Well done.

Nintendo would be nuts to drop that portable console thing, so the only way for 4K/60fps graphics is a "Pro-Docking-Station" which is possible with the Tegra architecture. On the other hand, why should nintendo do that. I will buy a nintendo console even when the next switch is only 1080p, like 99% of their customers.

REDRZA MWS

Nintendo would be nuts to drop that portable console thing, so the only way for 4K/60fps graphics is a "Pro-Docking-Station" which is possible with the Tegra architecture. On the other hand, why should nintendo do that. I will buy a nintendo console even when the next switch is only 1080p, like 99% of their customers.
That’s the point. They already have you as a loyal customer. There are many people who want current hardware and options. I’ll never buy nor play on a handheld. I would however, be very interested in a current spec Nintendo home console. Point is there is an even larger market that Nintendo chooses to ignore.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
What an odd way to win the argument, by backing up my claim that Nintendo has never really focused on graphics by naming some examples of that. Well done.
don't be silly, all of those games were graphically very good for the time.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The words of a loser.

He who quits a race before it's begun has lost more than a race.

I don't care about Nintendo being competitive with Sony or MS, but at least put in the extra effort to help make the talented teams there truly shine. Most of my favourite games have been from Nintendo, and I'm looking forward to what might be on the horizon for them more than any other company, but it'd be nice to see some effort; the absolute best possible for their price range.
It’s a business. They’re in it to make money. They’re wildly succeeding. The truth of the matter is that Nintendo doesn’t have the cash that others do; video games is their only business and they can’t afford those smaller margins.

Hopefully their next console will finally be able to hit 4K/60, even if it’s with DLSS type AI tech.

This looks amazing, but they seem to have increased the foliage. The amount of pop-ins is a little annoying.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I like the crispness of it. I would like to try this on my PC, but I don't know where to begin with Switch emulation. I assume that is what is going on. Switch emulation.

That’s the point. They already have you as a loyal customer. There are many people who want current hardware and options. I’ll never buy nor play on a handheld. I would however, be very interested in a current spec Nintendo home console. Point is there is an even larger market that Nintendo chooses to ignore.
Its also a high risk investemt and a highly competetive market. Just look how much MS and PS are spending on things like Gamepass and or Console development. Nintendo makes money with every console DAY ONE. MS had to wait like 5 years of the X360 to get EVEN since the start of the OG XBOX.

Xdrive05

I'll add that 60fps BotW is an absolute joy to play. The animation and art design really lends itself well to a 60fps presentation. Really helps with the immersion.

I know there's virtually no chance you'll get that with BotW2 on Switch at any resolution with that CPU, but if a Switch Pro is really in the works, that's the kind of thing it needs to support.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

In a video uploaded to YouTube recently, Digital Dreams has been showing off various locations in Breath of the Wild, only with a boost in graphics. In particular, this iteration utilizes ray tracing features and 8K resolution. The result, as many can image, is an incredible example of just how much better this already beautiful looking game can be when more advanced graphical technology is applied to older releases.

However, according to a report from DSO Gaming, Digital Dreams' version is being run through an emulation called Cemu. Cemu is a WiiU emulator for PC that has been used to run games like Breath of the Wild in the past. This means that this version of the beloved RPG is running on PC rather than through the Switch itself. But that shouldn't detract from what the end result is, which is an impressive display of visual acuity that makes the world, and lighting, around Link really pop. It shows just what can be achieved and how much can be improved on games that are now several years old.

WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN? Just Cemu? Can somebody briefly explain the setup you need to do this? I just started BotW and the resolution even when docked is somewhat distracting.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Character variety was a big issue for me. Loved the game though.
I beat it, maybe had 80 hours in it. Was my main reason for getting a Switch. It was probably the most apparent game that took a hit from Hardware limitations. Probably why it took so long to optimize the engine they were using.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's a shame that Nintendo's hardware can't present their games to their full potential. It doesn't even have to be ray tracing, etc. A solid frame rate and higher resolution would be fine.

It's funny to see people try and defend the lesser version as somehow better.

Jimmy_liv

I'll just whip out a Series S on the train...
But you can't have both, fantastic gfx and portability. That wasn't the issue/question. The conversation was that nintendo make cheaper consoles and that's why they are underpowered - the Series S says that's not the case.

Portability is another point entirely and in fairness - I'd rather have 4k 60fps with RT BOTW2 and a separate machine for handheld than compromise on quality.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't have an 8K display though, so how can I see what BotW looks like at 8K? :(

But yeah, that looks nice.

Last edited:

Holammer

Hold up.
If you view them from a modern lens they might not look that much, but most if not all of the games Coolwhhip listed were celebrated for their graphics in their days.
There is a tendency among certain people to reflexively try to recontextualize the older Ninty machines and their first party output as being lesser and all about the gameplay, just because Nintendo chose the low power route with the Wii.

If we do a content analysis from contemporary magazines, we'll quickly find previews, reviews heaping praise over the then cutting edge graphics and what Nintendo themselves communicated with its own advertising. You are not only wrong, you are fractally wrong, in every conceivable way and if we look closer we find new dimensions to your wrongness.

killatopak

Gold Member
Switch sold 100 million because a hybrid sounded cool as hell. N64, Gamecube, and Wii U were all hardware comparable to the competition and they all sold miserably compared to them. People don't buy high end Nintendo consoles so why Nintendo should Nintendo even bother?
it’s just a selfish wish that I have.

Banned
Switch sold 100 million because a hybrid sounded cool as hell. N64, Gamecube, and Wii U were all hardware comparable to the competition and they all sold miserably compared to them. People don't buy high end Nintendo consoles so why Nintendo should Nintendo even bother?

the N64, GC and Wii U sold miserably because they had all massive design flaws

the N64 came out way after the PS1, had no CD drive and therefore many developers jumped ship due to the lack of space on the Carts

the GameCube had a weird as fucking controller with not enough buttons and had mini DVDs which again had not enough space for many games

the Wii U WAS NOT comparable to the competition.. the Wii u came out in 2012, 1 year before the PS4 and Xbox One while having hardware that is on par with the 360, worse in some ways actually (the CPU was trash) while also having a weird controller that most people didn't know what it even brought to the table.
also bad amrketing.

the Switch has none of these issues because it was at the time a high end handheld with console features added to it to make it a hybrid. the Switch is way more a successor to the 3DS than it is to the Wii U and it is a big upgrade from the 3DS

Last edited:

Banned

and by always you clearly mean since 2006 because befor that they were always either at the cutting edge or not far off.

Star-Lord

and by always you clearly mean since 2006 because befor that they were always either at the cutting edge or not far off.
Y’all be wearing some majorly rose-tinted glasses. Like I said, Nintendo have never been terrible when it comes to graphics, but they were certainly not at the forefront. Super Mario 64, for example, was no better than Crash Bandicoot or Croc. Super Mario Sunshine was no better than Blinx or Ratchet & Clank. They were both pretty games, yes, but definitely not at the cutting edge.

Banned
Y’all be wearing some majorly rose-tinted glasses. Like I said, Nintendo have never been terrible when it comes to graphics, but they were certainly not at the forefront. Super Mario 64, for example, was no better than Crash Bandicoot or Croc. Super Mario Sunshine was no better than Blinx or Ratchet & Clank. They were both pretty games, yes, but definitely not at the cutting edge.

Mario Sunshine looked better than any game the PS2 could ever render in a similar style. the real time reflections on the water in the first stage or the reflection on the solar panels in another stage alone would bring the PS2 to its knees.

also Wave Race Blue Storm looked fucking fantastic and better than any similar PS2.

Nintendo's GameCube titles were absolutely up there with the better looking games of that generation.

even at Launch, Luigi's Mansion with real time shadows, real time reflections and cloth physics... there was nothing quite like it at the time

of course the GameCube couldn't quite keep up with the Xbox, but then again that thing was a monster of a machine for the time, so it's hard to fault it for that. but it ran circles around the PS2

on N64 Majora's Mask looked better than any PS1 game, it could pass for an early PS2 game if the performance was better.
and if we count second party games, so games Nintendo contracted others with, we have Perfect Dark, which wipes the floor clean with anything on any other console of that generation

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

After watching this I fired it up and found that Nvidias new DLDSR means I can now run BOTW at 5120x2880 60fps or at 8K 30fps on my 3080, whereas previously I was limited to 4K 60fps and 5120x2800 30fps...so, that's rather nice!

Dr.D00p

Depends on the pixel density, a 4k screen can look exacttly the same as 1080p. just bigger.

4K downsampled to a 1080p screen is far more noticeable than an 8K down-sample to a 4K screen. I have a 27in 4K monitor and BOTW, to my eyes, looks barely any different at 8K, to running it at native 4K.

Top Bottom