• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here’s What Breath of the Wild Looks Like in 8K And with Ray Tracing

Kenpachii

4K downsampled to a 1080p screen is far more noticeable than an 8K down-sample to a 4K screen. I have a 27in 4K monitor and BOTW, to my eyes, looks barely any different at 8K, to running it at native 4K.

27 inch 4k = 163 pixel density.
24 inch 1080p = 91 pixel density.
48 inch 4k = 91 pixel density.
96 inch 8k = 91 pixel density.

My screen has 109 pixel density, doubling the resolution = massive gain. however i would never buy a 6880x2880 screen in 34 inch form. i do render 6880x2880 in botw on my screen. looks way more clean on grass / distance and water. less shimmering. going back to 3440x1440 is rough.

If only cemu had dlss

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks good but screen space ray tracing is not ray tracing.
The whole point of ray tracing is to do shadowing and lighting bases on light outside of the screen view... like the sun or sources from around the corner.
Working inside the view port is pointless

Bullshit there is no "raytracing" in that video.
At least not that kind of raytracing that matters and make a huge difference is missing.

Therefore the whole video is underwhelming.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Depends on the pixel density, a 4k screen can look exacttly the same as 1080p. just bigger.

That doesn't make sense. I understand what you mean, but a 4K image is still a 4K image, no matter the pixel density. It always has 4x the information of 1080p. And an 8K image downsampled to 4K has the information of a 4K image (just with some nice AA), not that of the original 8K image.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it looks better but i don't know i think i love the game as it is. it might not be the best looking game but there's something about it. i could run it like that on my PC but i prefer playing it on my switch.

Lethal01

Looks good but screen space ray tracing is not ray tracing.
The whole point of ray tracing is to do shadowing and lighting bases on light outside of the screen view... like the sun or sources from around the corner.
Working inside the view port is pointless

No, raytracing is just a simple technique. doing it in screen space is no more "real" or "fake"

UnNamed

Banned
I hate this type of content, they are basically clickbait since everyone can see there is barely no difference with the vanilla version.

First because BotW has no materials, so bouncing are only for colors and probably in screen space, and even with that they didn't do a good job. Second because they forgot to strip the previous lighting model based on light probes, so they add a lighting system over another lighting system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom