• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here Is What Donald Trump Wants To Do In His First 100 Days (from October)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephtes

This is like the holy grail towards a radically more corrupt congress.

What?
No.
The vampires that have been in Washington for longer than I've been alive need to go... they're sitting at the levers of government and are completely out of depth with modern technology, and are further and further removed from the will of their electorate the longer they sit on their guilded chairs in Washington and eat bacon wrapped shrimp on the tax payer's dime.
You don't think the longer you stay in Washington the more likely you are to become corrupted? You're living in a fairy tale.

bionic77

:lol

He is going to get the Republicans to sign off on term limits?

Good luck.

He was smart enough to change the muslim ban to extreme vetting (though it is exactly the same thing). I expect the ACLU to file a lawsuit tomorrow on that.

Also would love to see how his bullying China and the rest of our trading partners is going to go down. That is going to tank the fuck out of an economy that is incredibly heavily reliant on the international market. If you live in fucksville or nowhere USA it won't make a difference to you, but for people with good paying jobs in cities this is going to be fucking horrible.

If you've had a federal job you know that they are over staffed for what they do.

We need to boost productivity.

Require more production with less headcount. Let's stretch that tax dollar.

WTF are you even talking about? My department is understaffed and overworked.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It sucks but this is the only opportunity this country will have to fix some deep rooted problems including the corruption of our political leaders.

It sucks? You are fucking dragging people like me in third world countries to hell. And you won't even help us resolve that crisis. God, I hope climate change creates a huge immigration flux to America. Then you'll see deep rooted problems.

EDIT: You call yourselves the greatest country in the world, the rest of the world hoped that you would pick up the tab of your actions. Roosevelt is rolling on his fucking grave. So much for the UN.

Ron Mexico

Uh, yes, I have had a federal job, actually.

And "overstaffed," are you fucking kidding me? And what does "for what they do" even mean?

No chance in hell a blanket hiring freeze lasting any kind of significant time ever sees the light of day. About as likely as the term limits.

I basically see these two happening:

* FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama

* SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

And that's about it

Term limits are a terrible idea. Given the number of other things someone in Congress has to do like fundraise and talk to constituents, it takes years to develop a deep understanding of the committees you're on. With term limits someone has to leave Congress just when they can actually be useful. They just make lobbyists and staff more powerful.

This some Steve Bannon/Breitbart shit, I have no doubt.

I dunno about "overstaffed" but I'm pretty jealous of my friends with fedgov jobs tbh. GS scale is crazy generous with pay for the hours you work.

I worked for the NPS and got paid shit wages and was absurdly overworked. I knew park staff that living in tents in the woods all season as their pay was too low to afford housing.

I am literally making three times now simply working at a bicycle shop.

rekameohs

Banned

* FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama

* SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

And that's about it
Think the bolded word can safely be removed, as well.

Matt

Term limits are fucking madness and will only expand the problems people seem to think they solve.

Also the hiring freeze is a joke, lots of federal departments right now are already seriously understaffed.

What am I talking about, this is all insane.

It doesn't if he gets the states to convene a constitutional convention...

Has that actually ever happened? I doubt it. Even still many states contently elect same congressmen. Name me some good reasons a liberal or a conservative state will limit powers of their Congressmen. Only a few measures even went to legislatures most of them aren't going anywhere.

Trump needs to commit to actively campaigning against them if they won't comply with what Americans want.

Yes campaign against his own party that will sure work out.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It sucks but this is the only opportunity this country will have to fix some deep rooted problems including the corruption of our political leaders.
You gonna answer the people who actually have federal jobs and elaborate on the shit you said about jobs you've never been involved with or know jack shit about or naw?

Not

Banned
I wonder how much of this shit he's going to pull off. We need to fight to bring the number down as much as we can.

darkwing

"* FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting."

The philippines and Indonesia are included in his list of "terrorists heavens" right?

This is going to affect me greatly.

yup, a few months ago those countries were part of the list

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
You gonna answer the people who actually have federal jobs and elaborate on the shit you said about jobs you've never been involved with or know jack shit about or naw?

Maybe it's my state. But GS grade jobs are among the most inefficient I've seen. The worst part is it's difficult to terminate the low performers.

And that's about it
That's where I am as well. Possibly the pipeline. Maybe the TPP one. Other than that, these won't ever go anywhere.

Even if he undoes every Obama executive order and does a bunch of horrible things over the course of his term, the worst, the worst by far will be his nomination of a Supreme Court Justice. With a GOP-controlled Congress, he can basically nominate someone as nasty as he wants. This is going to impact people's lives in a very direct way for generations. And gods forbid someone else on the Court retires or dies while he's in office.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Maybe it's my state. But GS grade jobs are among the most inefficient I've seen. The worst part is it's difficult to terminate the low performers.
Again, what authority do you have to state any of this, are you involved in any federal jobs whatsoever, (be very specific), and how is it overstaffed, in fact, what state? All of this is easily verifiable via a google search so don't bother if you're gonna lie through your teeth.

Crayolan

* FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately

This will be abused.

* FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars' worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.

* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward

* SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America's water and environmental infrastructure

RIP Earth. If he actually does this other countries will retaliate by following suit.

* FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back

Gonna make everyone hate the US.

End Illegal Immigration Act Fully-funds the construction of a wall on our southern border with the full understanding that the country Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such wall; establishes a 2-year mandatory minimum federal prison sentence for illegally re-entering the U.S. after a previous deportation, and a 5-year mandatory minimum for illegally re-entering for those with felony convictions, multiple misdemeanor convictions or two or more prior deportations; also reforms visa rules to enhance penalties for overstaying and to ensure open jobs are offered to American workers first.

This will never pass lol

Restoring Community Safety Act. Reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars.

He's making an SS?

Squishy3

This is like my Holy Grail of Constitutional amendments, and I don't even like Trump.

If he can get this done, I won't consider the next 4 years a complete waste.
Good luck, term limits got struck down last time an amendment for it got brought up. I doubt Republicans will let this get through.

Ric Flair

Banned
ibn Saïd;223893921 said:
i think the reasoning behind that statement is pretty solid. whether we like it or not, he and his fanbase have been against too much federal regulations. so by having 2 federal laws removed for each new one this should, IN THEORY, discourage additional federal regulations. basically they don't like the shackles of the government.
You know who also is really against those regulations? Big businesses who don't give a flying fuck about the environment or human beings nearly as much as they do saving every penny possible. This is going to be a terrible presidency, I can feel it already. Save us Obama

RDreamer

What?
No.
The vampires that have been in Washington for longer than I've been alive need to go... they're sitting at the levers of government and are completely out of depth with modern technology, and are further and further removed from the will of their electorate the longer they sit on their guilded chairs in Washington and eat bacon wrapped shrimp on the tax payer's dime.
You don't think the longer you stay in Washington the more likely you are to become corrupted? You're living in a fairy tale.

You're living the fairy tail man. You don't think having all new congressmen is going to get laws literally written by outside groups and handed to them? That's already fucking happening. People also need to look out for themselves and they sure as shit will look out for what their next job is if they're limited. I'd rather have them worrying about us re-electing them or not.

There have been studies talking about term limits adding corruption. Here's something talking about it:

First, when a legislator knows she will never again face reelection, the deterrent effect of the electoral sanction disappears, leaving fewer disincentives for a politician to engage in corruption. This paper found that the corruption was twice as prevalent among Brazilian mayors in their final term, compared to similarly situated mayors who could run for reelection. (A similar study found that increasing the maximum number of terms for Brazilian mayors from two to three was more effective in reducing corruption than increasing the mayor’s salary.) This result is actually quite intuitive. Indeed, if one believes that certain politicians are seeking office for personal enrichment, then when there is a definite end date for that person’s political career, they are likely to try to “cash in” before it is too late. Even a study arguing that term limits have positive effects on governance suggests that removing the possibility of reelection offsets term limits’ demand-reducing effect. This suggests that if states impose term limits, it will be important to balance the desire to keep entrenched legislators from becoming corrupt against the potential risk that otherwise upstanding legislators feel more comfortable engaging in corruption because they will never again face reelection.

Third, to the extent one is concerned that campaign finance gives special interests outsize power to influence policy, replacing long-serving members with new members might actually increase special interest influence. For example, if a long-serving member is electorally “safe,” it will be more difficult for private interests to influence her. If term limits force the incumbent legislator to retire, her replacement is unlikely to have the same ability to act counter to special interests without increased political risk. Indeed, the current system by which parties select candidates suggests that the very donors who could not “capture” the hypothetical long-serving legislator might be the people who choose the candidate who replaces her. Consistent with this, some research has found a correlation between increased campaign contributions and the adoption of term limits in Ohio. In short, term limits probably risk enhancing special interest powers that may breed the seeds of corruption.

RDreamer

Here's some more on term limits:

Legislative leaders used to be chosen on the basis of seniority and political savvy. Now, with the clock ticking as soon as a legislator takes his seat, leadership jobs and committee chairmanships often go to whomever can raise the most money fastest for the election campaigns of his colleagues.

It’s not really coincidence that many special interest bills get fast-tracked for consideration, which is why the FBI was poking around the Capitol this year, investigating allegations of “pay-to-play” deals.

When a complicated bill comes before the legislators, it generally is written by and vetted by lobbyists and lawyers for those outside interests. Consider Senate Bill 228 from last session, which would have overturned a 1976 law that forbids utilities from charging customers for construction costs of power plants until the plants go on line.

The bill was hideously complicated. Lawmakers depended utterly on lobbyists for Ameren Corp. of St. Louis to tell them what was in it. The bill was laid aside only after consumer groups and this editorial page disclosed the bill’s potential hidden costs to consumers.

kiriin

In other words he doesn't really have a environmental platform other than regressing from the current policies. Four years. Four years...

MechaX

I was DoJ and I have no absolute clue where you are even pulling this stuff from.

GS Grade Jobs are one thing (even though I have no idea what "inefficient" means in this context), but I think it is very easy to terminate "low performers" if you are a supervisor who actually checks the fuck in to what an employee is doing and how they're doing it.

The problem with a lot of Fed jobs these days is that staff are overworked, positions get eliminated as people exit, and staff pretty much abandoned all hope on conquering a work/case/etc load.

So yeah, I don't care what your political position is, but I have no idea what in the fuck you are even talking about on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom