• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here Is What Donald Trump Wants To Do In His First 100 Days (from October)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What is Health Care Savings exactly?

Let me translate his health care plan for you.

-Repeal the ACA.

-Deregulate the health insurance companies even more beyond that.

-Watch poor people die en masse.

HSAs are just a tax shelter for small amounts of money used towards paying medical expenses. They don't address anything of substance.

Most Americans believe in global warming, including republicans. It's only the politicians who pretend not to.

You would think that Republican politicians in Florida would have more power to shape the GOP agenda, considering the importance of the state in elections. Hasn't Rubio been sounding the climate alarm?

RDreamer

More against term limits

DETROIT- State legislators spend less time monitoring state agencies since the introduction of term limits for Michigan legislators - despite the fact that advocates for term limits promised the opposite effect.

The revelation is just one of several findings in the study by a team of WSU political science faculty led by Marjorie Sarbaugh-Thompson, professor of political science in WSU's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, which was published in the Feb. 2010 edition of the Legislative Studies Quarterly. The study showed the six-year term limit for state representatives and eight-year term limit for state senators have largely failed to fulfill promises made to Michigan citizens who voted the 1992 proposal into effect.

"Many Michigan citizens do not realize that our term limits are among the shortest in the nation, or that only 15 states have them at all," Sarbaugh-Thompson said. "These term limits were sold to Michigan voters on the notion that they would sever close ties with lobbyists and cause legislators to be more independent," Sarbaugh-Thompson said. "In reality, we found them to have the opposite impact."

Research was conducted through four different rounds of interviews with Michigan legislators between 1998 and 2004. In addition to Dr. Sarbaugh-Thompson, the research team included WSU political science faculty members Charles Elder, Ph.D., John Strate, Ph.D., Richard Elling, Ph.D. and Lyke Thompson, Ph.D., director of WSU's Center for Urban Studies, as well as Kelly LeRoux, Ph.D., assistant professor at the University of Kansas. Based on more than 400 interviews, the team assessed who or what influenced legislators' policy-making decisions as well as how conflicts within their committees and between party members are resolved.

Campaign finance reports were also reviewed to investigate whether representatives' financial relationships with special interest groups had changed from before and after term limits were introduced.

The results of the research show that lobbyists' influence over legislators was not only maintained after term limits were in effect, but may have increased. For instance, special interests' importance as a source of "information and guidance" on a bill about school choice increased after term limits began. Lobbyists were also cited among the top three actors that determined whether a bill reached the floor of the chamber after term limits were in effect.

The study also found that term limits greatly diminished the amount of time and effort legislators spend monitoring state-run agencies, despite the fact they were supposed to increase legislators' independence from bureaucratic influence.

"Even when the governor and the legislators are of the same party, these checks are important," Sarbaugh-Thompson said. "But this research shows that many legislators elected after term limits don't even realize this is part of their job."

Sarbaugh-Thompson believes the problem stems from the limited time that legislators have to understand their jobs, coupled with a lack of veteran legislators to mentor and train incoming representatives. One possible solution to the problem would be to extend term limits for Michigan legislators. "By extending term limits, freshmen representatives would have experienced legislators to mentor them, committee chairs and party leaders would have enough time to develop skills and relationships, while still preventing them from serving for decades.

"In addition, a longer term means that rather than campaigning for their next position, legislators would have a longer time to focus on their current position of leading the state effectively."

RDreamer

And even more against term limits:

Finally, political careerism does not seem to end with term limits. Rather than returning to their previous careers or private sector jobs, long-serving members in term-limited states are likely to run for other elective office, particularly for the upper chamber or a local office.

The “lame duck” factor has played a critical role in the declining influence of leaders in term-limited legislatures. Most leaders assume their leadership position in the last term before they are termed out of the chamber, so members know that the leaders’ time in office is limited. They therefore see less value in cooperating with the leader, and leaders are less able to sanction members who challenge them.

Hmm, I was actually really excited reading the first six items for day one.

Then I saw the rest and was like "fuck, there goes the environment, every step forward by Obama over his two terms, and the SC."

Edit: But hey, at least tons of tax money will go toward building a wall that didnt work when it was done by Bush and further funding to the military. Sure, last I checked we were spending more than the next 25 countries spend on military combined (if you rank military spending globally), but shit, we need more money for military industrial machine so that we have more inventory depreciation and eventually going to the police.

Cyan

Banned
On Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell mostly made nice with Trump but also shot down or expressed little enthusiasm in some of his plans. On Trump's proposal to impose term limits on Congress, McConnell said, "It will not be on the agenda in the Senate." McConnell has been a long-standing opponent of term limits, as NPR's Susan Davis reports. "I would say we have term limits now — they're called elections."

McConnell also threw some cold water on Trump's infrastructure plans, calling it not a top priority.

McConnell did say repealing Obamacare is a "pretty high item on our agenda" along with comprehensive tax reform and achieving border security "in whatever way is the most effective." But he also declined to discuss the Senate's immigration agenda further.
Yeah, this is about as expected. The wall isn't happening, term limits aren't happening, easy and obvious stuff like destroying DACA and Obamacare will happen quickly.

RDreamer

All the more reason for term limits and reducing the overcomplication of the laws being passed...
Congress shouldn't be passing bills they don't even understand.

I helped implement the ACA for an EMR system...
Every day I wish I could strangle the person (nameless Bureaucrat or lobbyist) responsible for that 10,000 pages of legalese...

Except term limits don't mean we get bills they can understand. it means we get bills that they can't understand and someone else wrote them...

Breads

Banned
It sucks but this is the only opportunity this country will have to fix some deep rooted problems including the corruption of our political leaders.

I want to see the math on that.

And surely...

if it the only way...

... the task of providing evidence to this statement is not insurmountable.

Jims

So how much of this can be obstructed via filibusters and stuff in the House and Senate? I know the Republicans don't have a supermajority, but I don't know if there's some technical outs where they can shove all of this garbage through.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
School Choice And Education Opportunity Act. Redirects education dollars to give parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Ends common core, brings education supervision to local communities. It expands vocational and technical education, and make 2 and 4-year college more affordable.

This is really bad. In another country maybe it wouldn't be the end of the world, but in the US this is devastating. Parents shouldn't have a right to abuse their children's future by enforcing them to go to some moron non-school. Soccer moms are fucking insane, so it's a recipe for disaster.

RDreamer

What's wrong with term limits?

See all of my posts throughout this thread that I've gathered. There are numerous bad effects from term limits. They increase corruption. You get outside groups literally writing legislation more often.

Cyan

Banned
So how much of this can be obstructed via filibusters and stuff in the House and Senate? I know the Republicans don't have a supermajority, but I don't know if there's some technical outs where they can shove all of this garbage through.

None of it; the GOP will almost certainly nuke the filibuster right off.

As the son of two social security employees the federal hiring freeze and elimination of workforce scares me.
Everything even associated with climate scares the shit out of me.

This is really bad. In another country maybe it wouldn't be the end of the world, but in the US this is devastating. Parents shouldn't have a right to abuse their children's future by enforcing them to go to some moron non-school. Soccer moms are fucking insane, so it's a recipe for disaster.

God, I missed most of that. Well, Trump did say he does really well with the poorly educated, guess he wants to keep that group growing.

Cipherr

WHAT

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

HOW DO YOU EVEN DO THAT

WHAT THE FUCK

THAT'S LIKE GOING TO A GAME SOURCE CODE AND DECLARING THAT FOR EVERY ONE LINE OF CODE IN, TWO LINES NEED TO BE ELIMINATED

THERE IS NO LOGIC TO THIS

THIS IS NOTHING BUT STROKING THE DICKS OF LIBERTARIANS WHO HAVE NO IDEA AS TO WHAT THE FUCK THEY ARE DOING.

Its basically long term deregulation. A slow, but eventual promise that regulation will eventually vanish altogether. You cant add new regulation without killing off twice as many. It ensures a slow dwindle.

Fucking SCARY as fuck. Dude is a fucking lunatic man... this shit is insane.

I worked for the MI legislature for 4 years, and everyone in the legislature knew that term limits were a mistake. Putting together a million, billion, or trillion dollar budget is incredibly difficult. Entrusting that to a bunch of newbies every few years is completely absurd. The newbies are overwhelmed by this prospect - they need advice. Who do they turn to? Lobbyists that are there and ready with loads of information.

Term limits empower lobbyists.

Sianos

"a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated"

because it's not like we are collectively hurtling towards a biotechnical revolution or anything that might require additional regulation

We need to boost productivity.

Require more production with less headcount. Let's stretch that tax dollar.

good idea, diablos991

i'll increase production AND reduce the headcount at the same time

by automating the jobs of course! no one said who gets the jobs once we bring them back - the trump supporters assumed it would be them, but the answer to that question is me

and good luck doing anything about it now that you can't regulate anything without dismantling the government first

to be real with you though, that is seeming like a very lucrative career path now...

Even if he undoes every Obama executive order and does a bunch of horrible things over the course of his term, the worst, the worst by far will be his nomination of a Supreme Court Justice. With a GOP-controlled Congress, he can basically nominate someone as nasty as he wants. This is going to impact people's lives in a very direct way for generations. And gods forbid someone else on the Court retires or dies while he's in office.

I hope that the "liberal" side of the court sees this and just holds on for as long as they can. Hopefully none with outright retire, and fingers crossed none of them die. It's our real only hope to keep any semblance of a balance there.

RDreamer

I worked for the MI legislature for 4 years, and everyone in the legislature knew that term limits were a mistake. Putting together a million, billion, or trillion dollar budget is incredibly difficult. Entrusting that to a bunch of newbies every few years is completely absurd. The newbies are overwhelmed by this prospect - they need advice. Who do they turn to? Lobbyists that are there and ready with loads of information.

Term limits empower lobbyists.

Yup. It's a good quick sound bite, but I've yet to really see any actual info on it being helpful. Almost everything I find outside of right wing think tanks (that just want to write the legislation themselves) shows it to be pretty bad.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I expect the term limits to pass, but it will be something like 12 or 16 years, certainly not less. I'm not too happy with that personally. You end up with a revolving door, and if the lobbyist stuff isn't corrected you got a systemic congress-to-lobbyist revolving door. The shorter the term limits, the worst.

This doesn't ruin the lives of people following our laws.

You and people like you will be remembered as nothing but a stain in our country's history.

Enjoy this while you can. I do hope you live to see how reviled your opinions will become, and the negative effects of his presidency.

Ban me if you want, mods. I just can't sit back anymore and be quiet (I'd understand).

Bowdz

Maybe there is something to be said about accelerationism. After seeing the protests today and seeing how much of this is the complete antithesis of what millennials believe, maybe (hopefully), just maybe (please God be true), this will galvanize millennials into voting all of the time.

We are now the largest voting block in this country and our significance to the electoral will only grow with each passing year. Get pissed off at this shit, help rebuild the Democratic party from the ground up (both nationally and locally), and start helping find great local candidates who can rebuild our bench in 2018 and hopefully 2020. Shit is going to get bad, but we can use this as a moment for action.

Crayolan

If Obama's hard work can be wiped out so can Trump's damage.

You can't undo climate change damage. And anything he does to make enemies with others nations (China) or break from international organizations could have effects that last long beyond his presidency.

Macam

Banned
Call your Congress critter daily and demand they obstruct, obstruct, obstruct.

To hell with all of that garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom