• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here Is What Donald Trump Wants To Do In His First 100 Days (from October)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Like how the GOP wouldn't let Trump be the nominee?

Not very much like that. (I'm assuming you mean taking some definite preventative action at the convention rather than party leaders pushing Jeb! or Rubio from behind the scenes.) The GOP couldn't do anything to stop Trump without severely damaging the party and their chances at this election. They took the safe route of letting things ride and it paid off in spades.

Nuking the filibuster is trivial in comparison. The GOP base, Trump voters especially, will eat it up. And the Dems already went partway there a few years ago (and signaled willingness to go further given a Hillary win and a 50/50 Senate), so the GOP just has to push it a little further to get everything they want. Why wouldn't they do it?

If Obama's hard work can be wiped out so can Trump's damage.

Easier to smash things than to put them back together. Sometimes change is irrevocable.

Copper

School Choice And Education Opportunity Act. Redirects education dollars to give parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Ends common core, brings education supervision to local communities. It expands vocational and technical education, and make 2 and 4-year college more affordable.

I'd like to know more about this one.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Changed title to clarify that this list isn't new or just being released.

Still, it's like waking up from the nightmare just to realize that you're still in the freaking nightmare.

All while some people actually enjoy said nightmare.

Maybe there is something to be said about accelerationism. After seeing the protests today and seeing how much of this is the complete antithesis of what millennials believe, maybe (hopefully), just maybe (please God be true), this will galvanize millennials into voting all of the time.

We are now the largest voting block in this country and our significance to the electoral will only grow with each passing year. Get pissed off at this shit, help rebuild the Democratic party from the ground up (both nationally and locally), and start helping find great local candidates who can rebuild our bench in 2018 and hopefully 2020. Shit is going to get bad, but we can use this as a moment for action.

What Bush did to getting involved in ME, Trump will do for many more things.

GhaleonEB

There are a small handful of things I am not horrified by. But this?

* FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205

* SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

* THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities

* FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back

* FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.

* FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars' worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.

* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward

* SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America's water and environmental infrastructure

End Illegal Immigration Act Fully-funds the construction of a wall on our southern border with the full understanding that the country Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such wall; establishes a 2-year mandatory minimum federal prison sentence for illegally re-entering the U.S. after a previous deportation, and a 5-year mandatory minimum for illegally re-entering for those with felony convictions, multiple misdemeanor convictions or two or more prior deportations; also reforms visa rules to enhance penalties for overstaying and to ensure open jobs are offered to American workers first.

Restoring Community Safety Act. Reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars.

Is pretty much what I expected. We are SO fucked.

In the midst of all the relatively specific stuff are things like this:

* FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately

I'll tell them to do their jobs. That'll do the trick.

Republicans in congress are not gonna stand for some of that.

This. There are still some Republicans in there that have agendas about running the show that will no doubtedly conflict with Mr. "Nobody Tells Me What to Do" Trump. I can see Trump being cockblocked by the Senate and House multiple times within the next 4 years. Hell, if they("old school" Republicans) wanted to get things back to normalIn "their" own way of "normal"), they'd thwart his plans to the point that he will fail to deliver a good chunk of his promises, then wait it out for a Democrat to come along in 2020 and beat Trump, then pin blame on that Democrat for not fixing what Trump left on the table(of course, more cockblocking), then in four years, come in with a more traditional Republican candidate that WILL promise to fix everything. It's actually... genius.

LOL what's labeling China a currency manipulator going to do? China will label America a currency manipulator easily. And build 2 more islands.

Health Savings Accounts.

Goodbye, health care system.
Now are these the same health care saving accounts where you put money in and if you dont use it you lose everything, for saving a little bit because its pre tax lol.
If its not something different then its garbage.

This is really bad. In another country maybe it wouldn't be the end of the world, but in the US this is devastating. Parents shouldn't have a right to abuse their children's future by enforcing them to go to some moron non-school. Soccer moms are fucking insane, so it's a recipe for disaster.
Uh. I think that is a matter of perspective. There are a lot of underprivileged children who are forced into awful schools because of their property tax bracket. This allow them to go to better, higher funded schools rather than be forced into poor schooling with no dollars and where the teachers are disenfranchised,forcing then to improve or die.

This will NEVER happen, but I don't think it a poor idea.

Now are these the same health care saving accounts where you put money in and if you dont use it you lose everything, for saving a little bit because its pre tax lol.
If its not something different then its garbage.

That is an FSA. You can roll a certain amount of an HSA every year. I used a HSA and a high deductible plan for a few years and loved it.

That said, it is not a great option for everyone.

Environment is so fucked. It was already fucked but we're going balls deep now. I don't have children, was sad that I hadn't done that yet but now i dont feel so bad about it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
* FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately

Excuse me, Mr Trump? Our Colombian agriculture workers have suffered from the terrible trade deficit because of the trade deal with your country, will you also address that?

No? Wait, you're also retracting the 400 million aid package? WAIT NO, WE'RE NOT A DRUG DEALING COUNTRY YOU DON'T NEED TO PUT SANCTIONS ON US AND LABEL US AS TERRORISTS. (Marco Rubio has insisted on branding the FARC rebels as terrorists despite the peace deals and the EU taking them off the list, imagine when they arrive as politicians in Congress, it'll be fun times)

ggx2ac

It sucks? You are fucking dragging people like me in third world countries to hell. And you won't even help us resolve that crisis. God, I hope climate change creates a huge immigration flux to America. Then you'll see deep rooted problems.

EDIT: You call yourselves the greatest country in the world, the rest of the world hoped that you would pick up the tab of your actions. Roosevelt is rolling on his fucking grave. So much for the UN.

I've had this same anger 10 years ago and it really feels like nothing has changed since then and nothing will continue to improve thanks to the way the world and especially the US runs.

There are people that don't get that climate change isn't just about rising sea levels, it affects ecosystems, it affects the food chain, we are at the top of the food chain and when that chain collapses, we are fucked.

The people trying to do something about climate change aren't trying to save the Earth. The Earth doesn't need saving because it has already been through a number of mass extinctions, what we're trying to save is ourselves because we're the ones who are going to be extinct next after we've sent every other species on this Earth to extinction.

RedSwirl

I guess I should ask here: What's the outlook on the economic stuff? NAFTA, European trade, tariffs, etc.?

To me it sounds like if Trump actually did that stuff it could cause at least as much economic damage as 2008 but I'm not an economist here. What's the likelihood of Trump actually renegotiating or pulling out of NAFTA or European trade, or setting up tariffs and getting us into trade wars? What's the possible effect, realistically speaking?

Somnid

Uh. I think that is a matter of perspective. There are a lot of underprivileged children who are forced into awful schools because of their property tax bracket. This allow them to go to better, higher funded schools rather than be forced into poor schooling with no dollars and where the teachers are disenfranchised,forcing then to improve or die.

This will NEVER happen, but I don't think it a poor idea.

This stuff is typically used by whites to escape underperforming minority schools. It's a tough issue because of course you want parents to make the best choices for their children but it also drains certain schools of resources. Magnets usually have test requirements, charters are essentially community home-schools, religious schooling is what you'd expect. Basically, it's going to hurt minority schools and funnel funds into white interests.

What are the chances of Trump getting impeached?

He's going to not only fuck up this country, but the world.

If he puts us back into a recession (which I hope to god wont happen in 4 years) or job losses occur, I think the Democrats will have a better 2020.

The environment stuff really has me worried.

I'm fairly sure these get passed pretty quickly

* FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205

* SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

* THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator

* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward

* SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America's water and environmental infrastructure

* FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama

* SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

* THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities

* FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back

* FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.

Middle Class Tax Relief And Simplification Act. An economic plan designed to grow the economy 4% per year and create at least 25 million new jobs through massive tax reduction and simplification, in combination with trade reform, regulatory relief, and lifting the restrictions on American energy. The largest tax reductions are for the middle class. A middle-class family with 2 children will get a 35% tax cut. The current number of brackets will be reduced from 7 to 3, and tax forms will likewise be greatly simplified. The business rate will be lowered from 35 to 15 percent, and the trillions of dollars of American corporate money overseas can now be brought back at a 10 percent rate.

Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act. Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds. Reforms will also include cutting the red tape at the FDA: there are over 4,000 drugs awaiting approval, and we especially want to speed the approval of life-saving medications.

Restoring National Security Act. Rebuilds our military by eliminating the defense sequester and expanding military investment; provides Veterans with the ability to receive public VA treatment or attend the private doctor of their choice; protects our vital infrastructure from cyber-attack; establishes new screening procedures for immigration to ensure those who are admitted to our country support our people and our values

And I think he can get 100% of what he wants done. Hardest one is the 28th because that would need 66% pass on both the house and the senate and then ratified by 75% of the states (I think the governors need to sign off on them?). If he gets that done, I'll tip my hat off to him. I think he will get the wall. Best chance for not getting any of that is a DNC fillibuster in congress.

Also not sure what labeling china as a currency manipulator would do?

"President Trump, I have labeled China as a currency manipulator".
"Great, have a cookie"

if you're a illegal migrant. Find yourself a sanctuary city quickly. Portland seems to be telling him to F off, and i'm sure some places in Cali will do the same. His "list" for the 1st hundred days is crazy.

That's all fine and good, but money is limited. Budget will have to come from somewhere. $1B is no chunk change to replace. To be a bit extreme, would you be okay if your city took money going to schools and hospitals and put them towards the funding that used to for the sanctuary thing?

MechaX

What are the chances of Trump getting impeached?

He's going to not only fuck up this country, but the world.

Unless some tape comes out where he had sex with a minor, the Trump University trial goes completely off the rails and implicates him in something big, or he tries to build The Wall and ends up getting dragged into an all-out war with Mexico, probably not too high at this point.

"President Trump, I have labeled China as a currency manipulator".
"Great, have a cookie"

More like
President Trump: WTO, I have labeled China as a currency manipulator and will move directly to impose import tariffs on them."
WTO: "You're a goddamned idiot but we can't exactly stop you outside of suing you like we did China."
President Trump: THIS IS WHY GLOBALISTS ARE BAD REEEEE

Import goes in. Suffering and unemployment comes out.

I guess I should ask here: What's the outlook on the economic stuff? NAFTA, European trade, tariffs, etc.?

To me it sounds like if Trump actually did that stuff it could cause at least as much economic damage as 2008 but I'm not an economist here. What's the likelihood of Trump actually renegotiating or pulling out of NAFTA or European trade, or setting up tariffs and getting us into trade wars? What's the possible effect, realistically speaking?

It's...big and bad. If Trump claims that China is a currency manipulator, he could impose tariffs.

If NAFTA gets "renegotiated," well...That'll also be bad.

We're looking at harsher demand-side market failures almost across the board. Prices skyrocket dramatically. Manufacturing dies for good because we don't have raw materials here in the US -- not at the quality and quantity that we need. Cratered demand for more expensive products while the cheaper products people demand cease to exist will be the driver of a recession.

Let me be completely clear here: If you have investments in American companies, dump them. A trade war hurts us far more than it will China, because as big of a market as we are, we're still not as big as everyone else in the world combines, minus those that hold import tariffs of their own.

Crayolan

Here's an article about it:
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/9/21/12993074/trump-trade-4-million-jobs

In summary: if he pulls out of nafta and puts big tariffs on mexico/china, they will retaliate with their own tariffs and the US will fall into a recession, likely dragging the other 2 down with it, with millions of jobs lost in the US.

That's not even counting the implications of Trump flat-out ignoring WTO tariff regulations which could put 70 years worth of trade liberalization at risk.

I don't get why people can't see that tariffs are just another tax that a majority of the time gets passed on to the consumer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Most of the GOP have to be cringing as hell at that since it fundamentally goes against their core view points of a free market.

You know the people that anger me the most that are people voting for him and going "great this will create jobs" or "wow I could get more money with this"

Yeah when the world is over and cities are now flooded it will be fine cause money. Fucking greed will be the end of humanity. All of the somewhat decent things will never happen and the worst things will.

If anybody opposes him in the house or Senate what stops him from sicking his followers on them are scaring them into submission? What stops him from silencing the news that stays stuff about him in bad light? What is stopping him from becoming the next dictator of history?

kess

Term limits are fucking stupid and anyone thinking they are the least bit sensible should feel bad -- it provides less qualified candidates, curtails voter choice, and serves the purpose of clearing the government to be filled by alt-right whackos.

Republicans in congress are not gonna stand for some of that.

Basically they arent going to stand for the first set of agenda items, you know the ones that you can probably get the general population to overwhelmingly agree with:

* FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;

* SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);

* THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;

* FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;

* FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;

* SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.

As a career politician, why would I want to limit my career, outside revenue, and potential post congressional career?

All the rest of the stuff that is a big fuck you to Obama and everything the democrats have done over the last 8 years, you bet that shit gets fast tracked.

Term limits are fucking stupid and anyone thinking they are the least bit sensible sjould feel bad -- it provides less qualified candidates, curtails voter choice, and serves the purpose of clearing the government to be filled by alt-right whackos.

Perhaps that is a problem with the system as a whole? Most politicians run unopposed and if opposed, the incumbents tend to win from my understanding. Do you really want people like Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio in congress until they retire? Then again, if you impose strict term limits like the president has, you do run the risk of getting worse people in. It is a give and take I would think. Overall, things need to improve...it seems that for some in Congress, the longer they are there, the less they care about the people they are representing and the more their care about the special interests that line their purses.

This stuff is typically used by whites to escape underperforming minority schools. It's a tough issue because of course you want parents to make the best choices for their children but it also drains certain schools of resources. Magnets usually have test requirements, charters are essentially community home-schools, religious schooling is what you'd expect. Basically, it's going to hurt minority schools and funnel funds into white interests.

Yeah that's how the system currently is. Hoping (in vain, likely) that choice actually means choice and there aren't a lot of arbitrary restrictions put in place.

I don't get why people can't see that tariffs are just another tax that a majority of the time gets passed on to the consumer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Most of the GOP have to be cringing as hell at that since it fundamentally goes against their core view points of a free market.

Mostly because you need to have a consumer for taxes to be passed onto a consumer, AND a product to sell to the consumer at a markup.

Neither of which are likely during a trade war.
So, I mean.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
"FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting."

Hey look, they found a political way to rephrase "let's ban all muslim".

Snagret

Hasn't Common Core been actually working?
People who grew up learning math the "rote memorization" way hate it because their kids come home with homework that makes the parents feel stupid. So even though common core is about teaching kids to have a more intuitive mental relationship with math, their parents just find it frustrating because it's not traditional and want kids to go back to things like committing multiplication tables to memory, which really only helps one kind of learner. That's my personal take on it, at least.

On topic: Everything about a Trump presidency continues to be incredibly terrifying. His climate change plans are going to brutalize this planet, his immigration ideas are going to waste tax dollars breaking up families and imposing fascist rules on anyone trying to get into this country, and it's only a matter of time before he turns his eye on the police and starts pumping more weapons, armor, people, and power into an already disgustingly over-militarized police force.

gogosox82

Some these ideas aren't bad but they will never happen so I question why they are even on here. And the bad are just so depressing to read.

Friggz

That HSA plan thing can go fuck itself right off a cliff. How are poor people, that generally do not have the ability to save any money, supposed to give up enough money to pay for their health expenses through a "tax free" savings account? What the fuck is this shit? For the people that don't have healthcare it's like a giant fuck you I got mine offer.

i have an HSA through work...its the biggest fucking ripoff on earth. The hospital bills for the birth of my daughter totaled over 10K out of pocket. At 3 kids, ive paid 30K out of pocket in hospital bills. I work for an insurance company.

May someone kindly explain why the UN environment support withdrawal is so bad? I don't know anything about it and the implications of withdrawing.

Alucrid

Banned
People who grew up learning math the "rote memorization" way hate it because their kids come home with homework that makes the parents feel stupid. So even though common core is about teaching kids to have a more intuitive mental relationship with math, their parents just find it frustrating because it's not traditional and want kids to go back to things like committing multiplication tables to memory, which really only helps one kind of learner. That's my personal take on it, at least.

On topic: Everything about a Trump presidency continues to be incredibly terrifying. His climate change plans are going to brutalize this planet, his immigration ideas are going to waste tax dollars breaking up families and imposing fascist rules on anyone trying to get into this country, and it's only a matter of time before he turns his eye on the police and starts pumping more weapons, armor, people, and power into an already disgustingly over-militarized police force.

that's not common core. that's just how math is being taught these days. what common core actually is is this

in kindergarten kids should be able to

Know number names and the count sequence.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.A.1
Count to 100 by ones and by tens.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.A.2
Count forward beginning from a given number within the known sequence (instead of having to begin at 1).
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.A.3
Write numbers from 0 to 20. Represent a number of objects with a written numeral 0-20 (with 0 representing a count of no objects).
Count to tell the number of objects.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.B.4
Understand the relationship between numbers and quantities; connect counting to cardinality.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.B.4.A
When counting objects, say the number names in the standard order, pairing each object with one and only one number name and each number name with one and only one object.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.B.4.B
Understand that the last number name said tells the number of objects counted. The number of objects is the same regardless of their arrangement or the order in which they were counted.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.B.4.C
Understand that each successive number name refers to a quantity that is one larger.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.B.5
Count to answer "how many?" questions about as many as 20 things arranged in a line, a rectangular array, or a circle, or as many as 10 things in a scattered configuration; given a number from 1-20, count out that many objects.
Compare numbers.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.C.6
Identify whether the number of objects in one group is greater than, less than, or equal to the number of objects in another group, e.g., by using matching and counting strategies.1
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.C.7
Compare two numbers between 1 and 10 presented as written numerals.

http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/K/CC/

preta

May someone kindly explain why the UN environment support withdrawal is so bad? I don't know anything about it and the implications of withdrawing.

Because it puts us that much closer to causing permanent, irreversible climate change-related damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom