• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's How Artificial Intelligence in Games Could Be a Good Thing

Celcius

°Temp. member
Nowadays there's a lot of talk about artificial intelligence and there's been talk of it being used in videogames as well. I don't want A.I. generated storylines. I don't want A.I. generated textures and levels. Here's what I do want though: More competent CPU-controlled team members and enemies in JRPGs.

I was recently playing Star Ocean 6 and the A.I. for your team members at times can be braindead. For example, there's 1 character who's a healer and they can't long-range heal... they have to run up right next to a character to heal them. As you can imagine, this can lead to situations where the character dies, you revive them, and then the first thing they do it run straight into an enemy attack trying to get right next to a team member to heal them. This often lead to me having to just switch over and take manual control of the healer to win the fight.

The same way that ray-tracing was a big deal for gaming, could Artificial Intelligence be the next big thing if used for actual CPU behavioral competence? That is, CPU controlled team members (and even enemies) that behave human-like, rather than A.I. generated content. Thoughts?

Laieon

I want to be able to tell AI at the beginning of the game how I like to play my games in terms of difficulty and have it generate a difficulty that specifically fits my tastes. Maybe someone wants "Story mode", doesn't like grinding, but also wants difficult bosses - the AI can generate a setting that fits that criteria. Maybe someone finds grinding relaxing but isn't a fan of difficult combat, the AI can make enemies easy to beat while simultaneously generating an XP curve that requires grinding.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
When it comes to Party A.I in Action JRPG, I don't want to babysit them but at the same time I don't want them to be too useful so they beat the boss for me, I just want hem to survive so I can use their powers and move-set when I need them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom