• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst is being raked over the coals by PlayStation fans on Twitter

Aenima

Hopefully not censoring the titillation.
I dont think ShiftUp is going to censor anything. Stellar Blade looks like a family friendly game compared to Nikke, they mobile game. Nikke is 100x more lewd and is just rated PEGI 12. And they previous mobile game Destiny Child was even more lewd. That one got slightly censored outside korea.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Every one of these Asian slasher games are vaporware until proven otherwise. Every one.

Stellar Blade
Phantom Blade Zero
Black Myth: Wukong

They all come out of nowhere with an amazing looking trailer, suspicious levels of polish and the smoothest looking animation ever seen in a game... then disappear for years.

They probably don't even exist.
Yeah, they are definitely suspect AF in that department. Even down to how they grab objects with zero video gamey clipping or the like. And want you to focus they are not clipping or looking janky like most games (the recent zoom ins of the sword grabs while still in the scabbards in Phantom Blade Zero).

Prove us wrong, Chinese and Korean devs.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Every one of these Asian slasher games are vaporware until proven otherwise. Every one.

Stellar Blade
Phantom Blade Zero

They all come out of nowhere with an amazing looking trailer, suspicious levels of polish and the smoothest looking animation ever seen in a game... then disappear for years.

I'm gonna add Silent Hill 2 remake to that list as well.

The trailer they showed last year had scenes from end-game areas. And there has not been a single peep, picture, news update from bloober and its absence in the showcase.

I'm starting to think the trailer we saw last year was just a target render.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dont think ShiftUp is going to censor anything. Stellar Blade looks like a family friendly game compared to Nikke, they mobile game. Nikke is 100x more lewd and is just rated PEGI 12. And they previous mobile game Destiny Child was even more lewd. That one got slightly censored outside korea.
I am talking more about Cali-bubble CULTure at Sony. I think they are righting that ship that Layden helped usher in several years back, since they have not been doing so as of late with a lot of those obscure anime games. The western devs just self censor themselves.

0neAnd0nly

I didn't think it was bad at all?

:pie_thinking:
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but may I ask why?

For a PlayStation showcase, outside of Spider-Man 2, what did you see that would convince you to buy a PS5? Almost everything shown was not exclusive, and surprisingly devoid of gameplay.

Killer8

Yeah, they are definitely suspect AF in that department. Even down to how they grab objects with zero video gamey clipping or the like. And want you to focus they are not clipping or looking janky like most games (the recent zoom ins of the sword grabs while still in the scabbards in Phantom Blade Zero).

Prove is wrong, Chinese and Korean devs.

The thing about animation is that it's a simple enough task to make something animate nicely, but to do so in a game is a different story. In an action game in particular, you have time constraints in how long the animation can display on screen. The Call of Duty gun animator talked about this:

There is a tug of war between making it look flashy and having to fit it into a couple of seconds of screen time. On top of all that, the animation still has to look good if it's cancelled and another one begins. As you say, in Phantom Blade Zero it's too perfect looking and likely scripted. And if it is real gameplay, then I wonder how well it will even play with animation like that...

I'm gonna add Silent Hill 2 remake to that list as well.

The trailer they showed last year had scenes from end-game areas. And there has not been a single peep, picture, news update from bloober and its absence in the showcase.

I'm starting to think the trailer we saw last year was just a target render.

Bloober at least have a solid track record of AAA releases, maybe not in terms of quality but at least there is a paper trail. I don't think the final game will look nearly as good as the trailer (it's UE5 so would like to be proven wrong), but I do think it'll release at least.

These Asian developers seemingly spring from the ground, with at most a 2D mobile gatcha game under their belt, and we expect them to suddenly make games with quality rivaling the best of the industry? lol

Eotheod

First party is why we are all fans of playstation. No one gives a shit about third party exclusives like Godfall, deathloop, forspoken and ghostwire tokyo. People want to play next gen sony games. If Sony has $3.2 billion to invest in their playstation business and spends it on a third party developer to makes games for Xbox then they should just shut their console business and go third party like Sega. I dont pay $500 to fucking EA or Ubisoft, I pay Sony and I expect more than 1 first party game a year.

They clearly cant get them out in time which means they are lacking resources, manpower or talent. Take $1 billion out of that $3.2 billion and hire a few thousand devs from other publishers. Invest in colleges to ensure devs come out ready out of college. Baseball, NFL, and NBA do this.

There are way better ways to spend that cash than on a company that was always going to be making games on playstation.
There is probably only a handful of people on this forum that are either graduates in game development, actual developers or in some form programmers. The likelihood that you or really anyone else actually knows how the hell to make a video game, the resources required and the industry mentalities is slim at best. I've got a bachelor in game design, and I can tell you shit ain't easy to just flick on and off.

Also investing in colleges does fuck all for non-sport industries, as the talent is across a far wider range then "can you do ball game?"

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm trying to picture Hermen Hulst walking around Playstation Studios with his tiny thin project folder with Spider Man 2 & Wolverine written next to 1 of 19 Studio's for the last 2 years.

Go_Ly_Dow

The FFXVI team got heavily dogpiled on for the visuals in the first trailer in 2020, which was all real-time and with gameplay captured from the actual game.

Nearly 3 years on for that and now everyone begging for trailers that show real gameplay from the development build reflective of the actual product, like that did.

We've come full circle and they've been vindicated.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but may I ask why?

For a PlayStation showcase, outside of Spider-Man 2, what did you see that would convince you to buy a PS5? Almost everything shown was not exclusive, and surprisingly devoid of gameplay.

Spidey, AW2, MGS3R and even if it’s not my cup of tea anymore, FFXVI.

That’s more than enough for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There is probably only a handful of people on this forum that are either graduates in game development, actual developers or in some form programmers. The likelihood that you or really anyone else actually knows how the hell to make a video game, the resources required and the industry mentalities is slim at best. I've got a bachelor in game design, and I can tell you shit ain't easy to just flick on and off.

Also investing in colleges does fuck all for non-sport industries, as the talent is across a far wider range then "can you do ball game?"
Nothing is easy. Thats why they get paid the big bucks. Thats why its a multibillion dollar business. We pay $500 for a piece of hardware that comes with no games installed. Its a requirement just to be able to play their $70 games. They are obligated to take that investment from us and spend it on getting more first party games, exclusives, moneyhats whatever you want to call it especially when third party is dragging their heals chasing trends.

bottomline is that they had $3.2 billion to spend and instead of doing whatever it takes to get more help for their internal studios, they paid bungie billions to make games on Xbox and PC. Absolute nonsense.

Mr.Phoenix

Their audience is literally starved for first party games. They went out and spent $3.2 billion on a third party studio when they couldve invested that into their first party studios which are struggling to get teasers let alone gameplay demos out after 3-4 years of dev time. That money wouldve been better spent on giving ND, SSM, Sucker Punch, Insomniac and Bend enough resources to get games out faster.

Buying Bungie which was always going to release games on playstation for an insane amount of money is a moronic move.
DS, SM.MM, Ratchet, Returnal, GT7, HZ.FW, GOWR... That's 7 first-party games released in the 2.5 years since the PS5 launch. By the end of this year, that number would be 8 games in 3 years.

Thats almost 3 games per year. And that's not including things like The Show, or other third-party games that were either exclusive (even if timed or console) or marketed by PlayStation like FF16. And I didn't even mention games that were exclusive to PS5 and released but not published by Sony...eg lbp, that All stars thingy...etc

Idk... I get we are all unhappy with the showing in this showcase... but I think there is a growing disconnect between what some are saying and what the real issue is. Not everything may be for everyone, but sonys output for the PlayStation has been remarkable to say the least... and consistent. I think to say or suggest that isn't the case isn't true...nor fair. Especially if you look at what the competition has done in the same timeframe.

I can see why Sony bought Bungie and aims to keep them MP, it's a business decision, they are aiming to have at least one successful GAAS IP out there. And the best way to be successful in that field is to be on as many platforms as possible. The profits such an IP could generate if successful, will give them the freedom to invest in and make the single-player experiences that will continue to define the PlayStation brand.

Its also smart of them to truly diversify their portfolio. And diversifying doesn't mean they are making fewer single-player games if they are making more games in general. Its no secret Sony doesn't have a proper first-party presence in the MP space, and MS almost buying ABK probably made Sony shit their pants.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So YouTube-people bad, Twitter-people good?

John Cena Reaction GIF by WWE

decisions

Stellar Blade
Phantom Blade Zero

Don’t forget the one that started it all, Lost Soul Aside announced in 2017 lol

Klosshufvud

Why is this console generation even a thing? Three years post launch and still feels like it's yet to start. The highlight of the show was a remake of a game we already played in 2004 but now by a shittier team. Sony's own studios that once created seemingly limitless creative and unique games are AWOL. It's all just fading slowly but surely. Consistent creative output is a fraction of what it once was. Even the games intended for hardcore players are cynically designed to be as inoffensive and ordinary as possible. Hermann Hulst is incompetent but he's more the rule rather than the exception.

Ronin_7

Banned
This shit is pathetic lmao

I'm even surprised people waste their times with that shit 🤣

If you didn't like the showcase like me just ignore it, the games from top teams will still hit PlayStation who cares when that shit is announced 👍

tmlDan

The worrying part is that he really thought this shitshow was good. Well not only him but sony as a whole...
PHASE 2 , MAKE A STATEMENT, TOTAL MINDSHARE.....
They obviously have no clue what they doing over there.
He, and nobody at Sony, said any of that, stop believing BS on the internet.

Humans are so dumb man.

Last edited:

Isa

I am talking more about Cali-bubble CULTure at Sony. I think they are righting that ship that Layden helped usher in several years back, since they have not been doing so as of late with a lot of those obscure anime games. The western devs just self censor themselves.
I agree but I'm still not trusting Sony yet with the censorship. Its lessened to be sure, but I think devs are making alterations or prepping in advance for what is or is not likely to get some negative feedback by Sony. Granted its not much, but Alice Gear was ever so slightly altered for PS yet Switch was fine. Its the little details but I don't like shelling out cash for an inferior product. I wish they'd drop it completely. Not trying to be a downer just keeping my eyes peeled and buying where there is more freedom when applicable(PC/Switch).

Guys, please, I have it figured out. In the world, we have three things:

1. State of Play
2. PlayStation Showcase
3. PlayStation Experience

Clearly, with the Showcase we were left without the Experience of a banger show. Instead we got Played

Yes the show had something for everyone in a sense. And most here will agree that it didn't have the mic drop moments everyone was waiting for. But part of me still thinks we're getting an Experience later this year. Or at least a better show. This can't be Sony's presentation for the year, can it

Sad The Office GIF

P.S That tweet about them spending billions on Bungie only to make games for xbox is hilarious given how Hermans job is to make first party games for playstation.
His job is to make money for Sony and that’s exactly what is going to happen when the next Bungie game is another big success.

Good! Who the fuck asked for live service multiplayer games from Sony? I don't want to hear that bullshit about big budget single player games being more expensive than ever before. Ain't sony making more money now than they ever have with playstation? Yet they are doing what all corporations seem to do and get greedy! Greed will be the downfall if it's not kept in check. We need to let sony know that we won't accept that bullshit.

Last edited:

yurinka

Bluepoint,

Bluepoint - Shipped Demon Souls in November 2020. 2 years and 7 months later, nothing to show. They made and shipped DS in 2 years and 8 months after shipping SOTC in Feb 2018.

Bluepoint was announced to have worked in God of War Ragnarok, and all their devs they had then appear in the game credits. Some Bluepoint devs who detail their projects timeframe in Linked In, were there from soon after shipping Demon's Souls until around GoWR release, around half a year ago.

Bend - 4 years since Days Gone. Dev completed on 1 Logo.
Bend? Yeah, probably working as a support studio after Days Gone flopped, sorry.
Days Gone didn't flop, and Sony greenlighted in March 2021 (according to Jason Schreier) the open world new IP that Bend is working on, which is the first pitch from Bend that Sony received after Days Gone.

He needs to hear it. At the very least he needs to get better at managing expectations and communication.
Certain fanboys are the ones who have to get better at managing their expectations. Hermen didn't overhype this, a few fans overhyped themselves.

Looking at their social media and sales record numbers there's nothing wrong about their communication.

The good thing about so many people throwing a fit is that it'll fix the problem. We don't want a Phil "great games don't work" Spencer situation lol
There isn't any related issue to fix at PS. And Phil didn't say "great games don't work" he did say that a handful great games wouldn't magically turn upside down the market share. Meaning, if Sony is outselling them 2:1, a couple games won't make MS outsell Sony 2:1.

Sucker Punch - Shipped GoT in June 2020. Nearly 3 years later, nothing to show.
After GoT shipped GoT Legends late 2020, and GoT DC/expansion/PS5 SKU in mid 2021.

Last edited:

Yoboman

The FFXVI team got heavily dogpiled on for the visuals in the first trailer in 2020, which was all real-time and with gameplay captured from the actual game.

Nearly 3 years on for that and now everyone begging for trailers that show real gameplay from the development build reflective of the actual product, like that did.

I appreciated their approach and they made it very clear visuals will be the last area they focus on

Only ones dog piling there were Xbox trolls probably

Yoboman

Bluepoint was announced to have worked in God of War Ragnarok, and all their devs they had then appear in the game credits.

Days Gone didn't flop, and Sony greenlighted in March 2021 (according to Jason Schreier) the open world new IP that Bend is working on, which is the first pitch from Bend that Sony received after Days Gone.
Is Schreier even reliable when it comes to Sony Bend? Isn't his source there the director who left years ago

KXVXII9X

I loved what I saw from the first trailer. I think most gamers don't know what they want.

Salz01

Nobody would be mad if this was just called. PS 3rd party SOP. Pretty simple. It actually would have been stellar if it was framed like that.

Luigi Mario

After it got re-revealed as Stellar Blade, a former ShiftUp employee came forward about sexual harassment allegedly happening at the studio. Naturally, ResetEra had a thread about it and certain members flipped their shit. They then tried to get a statement from ShiftUp about the allegations but got (thankfully) ignored.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
After it got re-revealed as Stellar Blade, a former ShiftUp employee came forward about sexual harassment allegedly happening at the studio. Naturally, ResetEra had a thread about it and certain members flipped their shit. They then tried get a statement from ShiftUp about the allegations but got (thankfully) ignored.
It's almost cyclical.

yurinka

Is Schreier even reliable when it comes to Sony Bend? Isn't his source there the director who left years ago
No, the codirector who left, and the other one who got fired after shipping the game debunked some of things he said:
  • Bend fearing to be turned into a ND support studio (not the case, both studios have been supported each other when needed since decades ago)
  • Bad relationship between Bend and ND heads
  • Sony not being happy with ND or Days Gone (mentioned they were always very supportive)
  • Sony not greenlighting Days Gone 2 (the director said that Bend's president was the one who blocked it and that Sony never received any Days Gone 2 pitch)
But confirmed some other things:
  • Without mentioned indirectly confirmed they supported ND after Days Gone in a MP title as they always did between projects
  • Indirectly confirmed that before leaving he started to work in another game that wasn't a new IP and wasn't Days Gone (so the Uncharted spinoff)

Last edited:

Yoboman

No, the codirector who left, and the other one who got fired after shipping the game debunked some of things he said:
  • Bend fearing to be turned into a ND support studio (not the case, both studios have been supported each other when needed since decades ago)
  • Bad relationship between Bend and ND heads
  • Sony not being happy with ND or Days Gone (mentioned they were always very supportive)
  • Sony not greenlighting Days Gone 2 (the director said that Bend's president was the one who blocked it and that Sony never received any Days Gone 2 pitch)
But confirmed some other things:
  • Without mentioned indirectly confirmed they supported ND after Days Gone in a MP title as they always did between projects
  • Indirectly confirmed that before leaving he started to work in another game that wasn't a new IP and wasn't Days Gone (so the Uncharted spinoff)
Is there a chance the 2021 date was just the end of preproduction and it's been in full production since? One thing that seems to be the case in development is that preproduction is a lot longer than you'd expect and full production can be a lot shorter

yurinka

The worrying part is that he really thought this shitshow was good. Well not only him but sony as a whole...
PHASE 2 , MAKE A STATEMENT, TOTAL MINDSHARE.....
They obviously have no clue what they doing over there.
Sony never said this, fake "insiders" said this

Is there a chance the 2021 date was just the end of preproduction and it's been in full production since?
I don't remember, but I assume it was to start production because they did stop working on the Uncharted game to move to this project. But being a new AAA IP the preproduction is way meatier than a sequel, with tons of research, concept art, prototypes, design of everything etc. So could be that they only had a small part of the preproduction (basic one plus the powerpoint pitch and some small prototype) with a small team and the greenlight maybe was to start putting there a ton of people to complete the bigger part of preproduction starting to prepare the production.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Objectively it wasn't bad at all(apart from few too many CGIs), people just imagined Bloodbornes and whatnot in their heads to be shown and started believing that, also so called "leakers" with their "trust me bro" sources add to it. Sony never claimed or promised anything.

Objectively it was the worst E3 timed Sony show I've ever seen.

The Sony "never promised anything" line though is too funny. Being onboard to try and bury E3 sure as hell makes sense now though.... because this wouldn't cut it on that stage.

Top Bottom