• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst is being raked over the coals by PlayStation fans on Twitter

Doom85

People act like all the gaas, anime and indie games shown are being developed by Sonys main studios. Next gen dev cycles are super long as we are witnessing from all devs/pubs.

I know, for real.

”How dare the people who brought us Helldivers 1 bring us Helldivers 2?!”

Me:

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
People act like all the gaas, anime and indie games shown are being developed by Sonys main studios. Next gen dev cycles are super long as we are witnessing from all devs/pubs.

Literally 4 of their 6 first party games/studios are GAAS games. You can argue 5, if you include Helldivers 2.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Praise The Lord Applause GIF

I think overall, people went into this expecting Sony to finally show what's possible with PS5.
What they can do when they're not constrained by the shackles of last-gen.
"Oh you think God of War Ragnarok looked good? That's not eeeeeeeeeeven a PS5-only title!"
(They didn't say that, I just had it in my head)

Kinda feels like the tacit social contract between Playstation and people who bought into PS5 early was:

"You know we're good for the games, here's Ratchet & Clank and a remake of Demons Souls... and then here's a few great-looking but cross-gen games, in return, will you give us some time build out our PS5-exclusive lineup?"

Judging by sales, the answer was "Sure, Jim/Hermen!"

Question then is how long they expect people to wait before we all start saying "wait where are all the PS5-exclusive games you implied would be coming?

The best take I've seen so far explaining the root cause of many people's frustration with PS right now.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
6/10 at best.

Some good stuff in there but nothing people have been asking for for years:

Socom
Killzone
Resistance
Last of us MP
Bloodborne anything
Syphon Filter
Ghost of Tsushima sequel
Last guardian next IP/sequel
Death stranding 2
Silent hill 2 remake

I mean the list goes on and on. The metal gear trailer would’ve been hype even with snakes voice at the end even jf it was CG… but no gameplay makes it pointless.

The amount of shovelware Gollum level games was absurd. A splatoon meets Fortnite rip off… really ? Get a fucking clue.

Beechos

Literally 4 of their 6 first party games/studios are GAAS games. You can argue 5, if you include Helldivers 2.
Did I miss something? Which one of their godly devs known for making aaa cinematic games showed a gaas? Insomiac?, naughty dog?, Santa monica?, sucker punch? Guerilla? The gaas are being made by their new/smaller studios.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Too bad Playstation is synonymous with console gaming so they won't feel any pain from this backlash. Maybe if MS brings something worthwhile on June 11th. Even so, it won't make much of a difference.
I don't know. It looks like they're trying pretty hard to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with what they showed this week.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Did I miss something? Which one of their godly devs known for making aaa cinematic games showed a gaas? Insomiac?, naughty dog?, Santa monica?, sucker punch? Guerilla? The gaas are being made by their new/smaller studios.

Are the studios owned by Sony? Yes? Then they are main studios. Doesn't matter if htey are smaller or newer. Doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of what we saw first party wise was GAAS CGI crap.

I don't know. It looks like they're trying pretty hard to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with what they showed this week.

FFXVI will carry them throughout summer, and Spider-Man, if not delayed, will give them a considerable boost later this year. I don't see this showcase having any meaningful impact, outside of the constant verbal clashes on forum's pages, and in youtube videos.

DinoD

Yeah, he's a very bad man for not magically pulling AAA games from various sources out of his ass on command.

Seriously, the world half shut down for the best part of 2 years, AAA titles run on 4+ year production cycles these days, do the math.

You missed my point.

ReBurn

Gold Member
FFXVI will carry them throughout summer, and Spider-Man, if not delayed, will give them a considerable boost later this year. I don't see this showcase having any meaningful impact, outside of the constant verbal clashes on forum's pages, and in youtube videos.
Part of the criticism is that they need to rely on a third party game to carry them through. People want to know what those powerhouse studios are working on and were hoping for at least one more single player adventure from one of them. There are millions of people who bought the box for the Sony first party single player experiences. The meaningful impact is that those are the people Sony needs to buy their games and they're not showing those people the games they want.

gothmog

Gold Member
Exactly. Also, why bother directly competing with Starfield? Give it space and hopefully congratulate Bethesda on a job well done.

This is one of the most packed years in quite some time. It's actually refreshing to not have to wait for the next big game.

There are millions of people who bought the box for the Sony first party single player experiences. The meaningful impact is that those are the people Sony needs to buy their games and they're not showing those people the games they want.

I think this is false

Sony first party matters a lot, but most gamers are not disappointed that SM2 is the only true first party game

Why?

Because some play Hogwarts, RE4, Mortal Kombat, FF16, Diablo 4, Alan Wake 2, MLB the Show, Call of Duty, Assasins Creed

There is no one “gamer” out there and Sony first party is there to round out the platform and while I’d like to see more than 1-2 big games a year from them, they don’t really need anymore. But they also can’t have any of those games flop since there’s not really a backup

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I think overall, people went into this expecting Sony to finally show what's possible with PS5.
"Oh you think God of War Ragnarok looked good? That's not eeeeeeeeeeven a PS5-only title!"

Kinda feels like the tacit social contract between Playstation and people who bought into PS5 early was:

"You know we're good for the games, here's Ratchet & Clank and a remake of Demons Souls... and then here's a few great-looking but cross-gen games, in return, will you give us some time build out our PS5-exclusive lineup?"

Question then is how long they expect people to wait before we all start saying "wait where are all the PS5-exclusive games you implied would be coming?

That certainly brings up some forgotten memories from the past years. I went to google a bit and compared the upcoming games on PS4 and PS5 in the same timeframe.

PS4 and PS5 were launched 2013 and 2020 respectively (both in Nov).

By PS4’s 31st month (June 2016, after E3), the announced upcoming Sony 1st party titles at that moment were
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • The Last Guardian
  • Gran Turismo Sport
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • God of War
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man
  • Day’s Gone
  • RIGS Mechanized Combat League (PSVR)
At the same timeframe (now) the officially announced upcoming Sony 1st party games (based on my memory) are
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
  • Marvel’s Wolverine
  • The Last of Us Faction 2 (if it counts)
  • FairGame$ (for PS5/PC)
  • Concord (for PS5/PC)
  • Marathon (for PS5/PC/Xbox)
  • Helldivers 2 (for PS5/PC)

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
First party is why we are all fans of playstation. No one gives a shit about third party exclusives like Godfall, deathloop, forspoken and ghostwire tokyo. People want to play next gen sony games. If Sony has $3.2 billion to invest in their playstation business and spends it on a third party developer to makes games for Xbox then they should just shut their console business and go third party like Sega. I dont pay $500 to fucking EA or Ubisoft, I pay Sony and I expect more than 1 first party game a year.

They clearly cant get them out in time which means they are lacking resources, manpower or talent. Take $1 billion out of that $3.2 billion and hire a few thousand devs from other publishers. Invest in colleges to ensure devs come out ready out of college. Baseball, NFL, and NBA do this.

There are way better ways to spend that cash than on a company that was always going to be making games on playstation.
shocked steve harvey GIF

supernova8

Banned
That certainly brings up some forgotten memories from the past years. I went to google a bit and compared the upcoming games on PS4 and PS5 in the same timeframe.

PS4 and PS5 were launched 2013 and 2020 respectively (both in Nov).

By PS4’s 31st month (June 2016, after E3), the announced upcoming Sony 1st party titles at that moment were
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • The Last Guardian
  • Gran Turismo Sport
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • God of War
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man
  • Day’s Gone
  • RIGS Mechanized Combat League (PSVR)
At the same timeframe (now) the officially announced upcoming Sony 1st party games (based on my memory) are
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
  • Marvel’s Wolverine
  • The Last of Us Faction 2 (if it counts)
  • FairGame$ (for PS5/PC)
  • Concord (for PS5/PC)
  • Marathon (for PS5/PC/Xbox)
  • Helldivers 2 (for PS5/PC)

Exactly.

Problem is that they already put out cross-gen games as the next instalments of Horizon, God of War, Gran Turismo, and Spider-Man. I suppose there is a chance that the games would've looked like that anyway (regardless of development time, I mean look at GT5 vs GT6) but it makes you wonder what could have been if we didn't have those cross-gen titles.

ParaSeoul

I like that this is based off a few random replies with barely 300 likes between them. It's kinda like most posters here don't understand how twitter works.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
phil spencer: ”we suck and we cant we‘re not going to even try.”
Xbox fans: ”Okay”

PS:”here is a preview of spiderman 2”
Sony fans: “Nah. Try harder.”

I'm hoping comments like these look like insanity in a couple of weeks.

It's obvious even the "perfectly" managed playstation studios have struggled with covid and moving to current gen.

Theyve basically had a great road map of ps4 games they've been able to spruce up to fill some gaps for ps5.

I am really hoping that in two weeks we get to see Microsoft struggled with the last 18 months in terms of triple A but have gotten through the worst of it and we will now see their true current gen offerings coming to the table that will release over the next 18 months.

Thanks to Sony we have also had the technical expectation of these consoles set with the recent ffxvi and spider man 2 demos. I expect microsofts games to be on par with spider man 2 technically. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Would be great to see some true unreal engine 5 games like gears to blow us away.

Last edited:

Vick

man-gentlemen.gif

Love to see it. Not feeling this PlayStation at all.

Tears of the Kingdom...I mean the industry in general has been going after micro transaction broken shit but Nintendo released an awesome single player experience with no online required or bullshit pay to win. I kinda miss that. I miss shooters where you earn and unlock stuff instead of pay for it.
Agreed entirely. id Surprised me with Doom ETernal and DOOM 2016 as well. Just simple FPS games that didn't bloat with needless shit or MTX/Greed. Quality games from start to finish. Sadly these AAA games seem to be growing ever more rare. It is the INdie, A, and AA devs that seem to actualy care about designing good games these days.
These are pretty bizzarre posts in a Thread only existing because that's exactly and all Sony studios did for the last 10+ years straight, and what accustomed fans wanted to see in this shitshow of a showcase.

I can't agree, at least not in relation to AAA first party games. Xbox has been suffering more than Sony in this regard, but every game I was excited for from Sony, like God of War Ragnarok, has been infinitely disappointing and games I wish I could get a refund for.

Sony's issue is definitely not that they haven't been releasing games with Zero MTX> That should be the standard for all games.
You (and me for that matter) not liking Ragnarok as much the 2018 one is entirely irrelevant.

Sony used to produce meaty and well made single player games only, and this changing is why Hermen is being deservedly roasted.

Phil Spencer and Xbox have an incredible opportunity to swing momentum. IMO it’s all or nothing if they want to salvage this generation.

Fabieter

Naughty dog makes one and guerrilla, insomniac and sp is rumored to make one. Sony is all in on gaaa games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I saw this dude tweet about the new firewalk game saying it will be special. probably a dev over at Firewalk. Yeah, so special you couldnt even cut any gameplay footage to show it off. Looks like gaas trash, smells like gaas trash, bet it will turn out to be gaas trash.

Just goes to show you every console maker does this shit. Hey, we’re proud to announce our new FPS, and it’s a movie trailer with ZERO gameplay.

Not a single part of that trailer even indicates it’s a FPS. Stop announcing shit just to pad the show.

Famipan

It's sick to think that we could have had a trailer for Days Gone 2 and much more if I had total power of the company and a time machine:
- Bend Studio gets increased support for Days Gone-series
- Get key personel from Japan Studio and Evolution back in order to fix proper remasters/future proof securing the code of ALL relevant works for future releases.
- Collection with PS5-versions of Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian (4k 60fps and Dual Sense features)
- Bloodborne Remaster. Dual release of PS4 Pro and Ps5-version. PS4 Pro version is a free patch for current owners adding 60fps and has obviously DS4-support on PS5 which I prefer. PS5 version is paid upgrade and has 4K 60fps, faster loading and Dual Sense features.
- Tokyo Zoo, Patapon and all the wacky stuff gets remasters or PS5-support for 4K 60fps.
- PS5-remasters with Dual Sense features: Driveclub, Gravity Rush 2, The Order (+ announcing a sequel).

- Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster and Xenogears Collection Remasters.
- Killer7 PS4/PS5-version.
- SSX Remastered Collection + announcement of a new SSX game in the style of the classics.

- Digital PS5 games price decrease announcement now when more people have access to the PS5 digital and a commitment to decrease environmental waste. For every digital game you buy, you get a counter showing how much CO2 savings and you collect points and collect digital figurines.

- Announcement of total a new optional PS5 User interface: "We decided to listen to out biggest fans and will introduce a separate optional Advanced Customizable UI adding much deeper Library editing support, custom background music, background art, avatars, etc."

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Should have been 5/6 years ago. Instead it's been just wait.
I legit was looking forward to redfall and I got a piece of garbage that barely worked on my pc.

Maybe, he will win us all over in two weeks. Wouldn't take much but wone great games to do the job.

Redfall was an absolute pile of shite. I feel your pain.

Exactly. Astute observation.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You missed my point.

Sorry if you thought I was directing my comment at you personally. It was meant generally towards those who seem oblivious to the ongoing impact of pandemic conditions and the basic facts of production scheduling.

Blaming Hulst is just hot-air. Noone inside the industry is going to take it as a serious critique of his performance in the role because its evident to everyone what the reality is.

Its just making the complainers look childish and stupid to be honest.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Absolutely, great post and I think it sums up the sentiment nicely.

midnightAI

Sony used to produce meaty and well made single player games only, and this changing is why Hermen is being deservedly roasted.
WAIT...... So Sony making multiplayer/GAAS games in addition to their cinematic single player games has gamers upset? (and there is no evidence that their single player output is suffering because of that) Ok, gamers are officially weird.

More choice isn't good then... I guess

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Phil Spencer and Xbox have an incredible opportunity to swing momentum. IMO it’s all or nothing if they want to salvage this generation.
Momentum based on `announcements` alone is not real. Especially not with MS, they simply do not have that credit in the bank.

This whole thing is not real.

Real momentum is based on consistent output. Consistent quality output. And that is something MS needs to start doing.

You know what's funny about this botched showcase.... its that no matter how good it could have been, it wouldn't have changed the fact that the only exclusives we are getting for the rest of the year are FF16 and SM2. Unless factions is coming this year... So all our anger now is that we don't know or have anything to look forward to for next year and beyond. And that most of what was shown were live service games. Which is akin to having a show and showing 10 FPS games. There was just very little to get excited about. And 95% of what there was to get excited about wasn't even from Sony first party. Which defeats the whole purpose of this being a showcase.

That's what all this really is. All it takes to rectify that is to have another showcase any time between Sept 2023 and May 2024. And like addicts, all this would be forgotten.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Unfortunately they didn't knock it out of the park. At this point, without E3, all the major pubs will continue to trickle down new announcements as they've been doing for years.

I expect a better showing given this one didn't tickle me either.

Mr.Phoenix

WAIT...... So Sony making multiplayer/GAAS games in addition to their cinematic single player games has gamers upset? (and there is no evidence their single player output isn't suffering from it) Ok, gamers are officially weird.

The problem isnt more choice.

No one would have had an issue with Sony if their first party came out and showed 8 games if there of them were GAAS and the other 5 were what we actually bought a PlayStation for. The problem is that they came and showed like 3/4 first-party games and all but one was a GAAS-type game.

And why is that really fucked up? Its that the almost 40M people that have bought a PS5 to date.... did not buy it for GAAS. This show was catered to a market that hasn't yet bought a PS5. Of course, those that have would be upset.

midnightAI

The problem isnt more choice.

No one would have had an issue with Sony if their first party came out and showed 8 games if there of them were GAAS and the other 5 were what we actually bought a PlayStation for. The problem is that they came and showed like 3/4 first-party games and all but one was a GAAS-type game.

And why is that really fucked up? Its that the almost 40M people that have bought a PS5 to date.... did not buy it for GAAS. This show was catered to a market that hasn't yet bought a PS5. Of course, those that have would be upset.
The person I was replying to wasn't just talking about the showcase though, they was talking about Sony in general?

I get it that people expected more 1st party from the showcase, but one thing Sony has stuck to over the past few years is not announcing stuff too early, which I agree with.

Mr.Phoenix

The person I was replying to wasn't just talking about the showcase though, they was talking about Sony in general?

I get it that people expected more 1st party from the showcase, but one thing Sony has stuck to over the past few years is not announcing stuff too early, which I agree with.
I agree with that too. Just leaves a bad taste in your mouth when all they seem to announce are the GAAS stuff.

Vick

WAIT...... So Sony making multiplayer/GAAS games in addition to their cinematic single player games has gamers upset? (and there is no evidence that their single player output is suffering because of that) Ok, gamers are officially weird.

There is, how on earth is 60% of resources on GaaS not impacting their more expensive than ever single player games? Those games theoretically lost 60% of their budget.

Plus, it makes me upset simply as I couldn't give a single shit about 95% of what they showcased in their PlayStation showcase.

midnightAI

There is, how on earth is 60% of resources on GaaS not impacting their more expensive than ever single player games? Those games theoretically lost 60% of their budget.

Plus, it makes me upset simply as I couldn't give a single shit about 95% of what they showcased in their PlayStation showcase.
Because the other 40% is still higher than the budgets for previous years? So, no, they didn't lose 60% they just increased the overall budget to cater for GAAS

TidusYuna

This is why competition is important. Sony is getting complacent with their 1st party showings. I think Sony feels they don't have to show much because the alternative isn't as appealing to the majority. While Sony's showing at this state of play with lackluster and didn't really live up to my personal expectations and probably many others, the alternative is Redfall, which is a lot worse. Really hope Microsoft knocks their June 11th showcase out the park and forces Sony to respond instead of holding all their cards. Maybe that is the intention, depending on how Microsoft does at their conference, Sony can respond with a some stuff they are clearly pocketing. This aimed specifically to their 1st Party single Player output. I'm not really a gaas/multiplyer games kinda of guy. Prefer Sony's great variety of single player experiences. But I was excited about Factions 2, the original Factions was one of my favorite multiplayer games since Socom 1, 2, and Confrontation. & I've always been a twisted metal fan. But neither of those were shown.

I've been excited about Spiderman 2, Final Fantasy XVI, Gran Blue, Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater, but I knew these were coming. They all looked great as expected but was looking forward to more new single player content from Sony's 1st party studios. More that Just Spiderman 2 at least. Phantom Blade and Dragon's Dogma 2 were the new content highlights for me. I'd add Alan Wake 2 to that list game looked great, but the announcement that this game would be digital only killed all purchasing interest in that game for me. Not supporting the push for all digital. Happy to support Final Fantasy XVI which won't require a day 1 patch.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Imagine trying to defend scam games (GAAS titles). Their very existence is harming the SP titles. Any resource going to them is wasted.
I'm not defending them, I'm saying they aren't affecting single player output. Show me evidence that Sony's first party studios that are well renowned for their cinematic single player games are affected by their GAAS push? (The only one I can think of is Studio London, even then we don't know if they have other plans besides their GAAS game)

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I appreciated their approach and they made it very clear visuals will be the last area they focus on

Only ones dog piling there were Xbox trolls probably

Ironic, since you’ve been intensely negative about Starfield going off a year old showing.

I’m glad that you now appreciate that games in development can easily change for the better, visuals and performance wise.

Naughty Dog’s Factions is a GaaS title. Guerilla is also strongly rumored to be working on a Horizon GaaS title too.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm not defending them, I'm saying they aren't affecting single player output. Show me evidence that Sony's first party studios that are well renowned for their cinematic single player games are affected by their GAAS push? (The only one I can think of is Studio London, even then we don't know if they have other plans besides their GAAS game)

What do you think Factions is?

Top Bottom