• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst: Sony's First Party has over 25 titles in development for PS5, almost half of which are new IPs

That's good, but I think we need more PS5 console exclusives.

I don't give a fuck if they release on PC as well. In fact, all the better if it allows them to bring out more next-gen games sooner, but there's no reason why God of War 2 and Horizon 2 should be cross-gen at this point.

Bartski

Gold Member
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

JackMcGunns

HaloGearsForza

/s

MS has stepped up their game bigtime in that regard but their innovation when it comes to new big IPs during last gen wasn’t great.

Yes, they most definitely have. Funny the contrast between topics, when similar is announced for Xbox, we get "I wanna see the receipts!" or "This is nothing but list wars", "Show me the games". I think it's fair to say that both sides can be excited without constantly shitting on each other. The days of HaloGearsForza are behind us.

I can't wait to see what Sony has in store, almost 1/2 of 25, so we're looking at at least 11-12 new IPs, that's a lot of goodness :messenger_beaming:

MORE than 25 games in development.
How many studios does Sony have? 13 last I heard?

I get that they can easily have a couple things going with outside devs, but that's a lot.

Get ready for some mediocrity.

Some studios will have multiple games in the works as well

Naughty Dog, GG, SSM should have a mimunim of 2

Insomniac probably has at least three if not more

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People really should read through this and stop laughing at "COVID delays."

Even the PS Now solution for playtesting is far from perfect, as playtesters are now all on different latencies.

IntentionalPun

Also the article doesn't actually use "1st party" and calls out indies.

So that 25 number probably isn't 1st party dev; it's all the exclusives they are building and partners are building.

According to Hermen Hulst, a Guerrilla cofounder whom Jim Ryan tapped to lead PlayStation Studios in 2019, the group has more than 25 titles in development for the PS5—nearly half of which are entirely new IP. “There’s an incredible amount of variety originating from different regions,” Hulst says. “Big, small, different genres.”

Indies are getting in on the fun too. Haven Studios, a new venture from industry veteran Jade Raymond, has partnered with Sony for its next game, as has Firewalk Studios for an unannounced multiplayer title. Ember Lab, an animation and digital studio, is releasing its first major game, the Zelda-esque Kena: Bridge of Spirits, in August;

If I had to guess, I'd guess by "Playstation Studios" they are including published games. It's also not a direct quote; so who knows what Hulst actually said.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I think this shows all the people who thought Herman Hulst and Jim Ryan are ruining playstation can seriously grab some crow with a side of mustard.

The knee jerk reactions from gaf and dumb fuck youtubers is fucking hilarious. Sony knows it's audience it knows what sells, they are not pulling a Ubisoft and abandoning unique software.

Hope this gives Colin a boost of confidence that Shue, Herman and even Jim know what they are doing. I mean the whole vita/PS3 debacle was a misstep for sure and everyone called them out. Just like the xbox live price hike. But to think that Sony doesn't make changes within their company that will allow them to make more games we love is short sighted.

Now with them unifying Xdev initiative, going to see more games from other Asian territories other than Japan.

Papacheeks

Banned
And every single one of them is third-person, hold-your-hand gameplay, stupid banter and Disney like characters

Sure a rogue like game is totally holding your hand as you murder aliens with your saber. Don't worry if you like first person perspective things SOny has a couple things you might like. One of them is almost ready to show. The other one I we dont have confirmation if it's third person shooter or first.

IntentionalPun

And every single one of them is third-person, hold-your-hand gameplay, stupid banter and Disney like characters
lol

I really do wish Sony would put some effort into more complex games... stop forcing cutscenes/boring gameplay story segements, etc.

But while they aren't 100% my cup of tea, they make really solid gameplay too. Which TBH sometimes makes their games even more disapointing for me, because I do feel they have far more potential to do more with their tools/devs than just make insanely good looking yet fairly simple games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I get that they can easily have a couple things going with outside devs, but that's a lot.

Sony and mediocrity? Where have you been the last few years? They have been on fire. If anything, my main gripe is that they no longer release B titles. Everything is supposed to be a GOTY contender or a blockbuster. Still, hard to complain when they have upped their quality control so that even games like Returnal and Ratchet are getting GOTY hype.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well, that pretty clearly addresses Microsoft's 23 studio advantage. Looks like the output between the two companies is going to be pretty similar.

yurinka

I bet these projects are:
-GoWR
-Horizon 2
-Ratchet Rift Apart
-GT7
-TLOU2 Factions
-Destiny bosses MP new IP *
-Jade Raymond new IP *
-New Astro (PSVR2?)

-Spider-Man 2 (or Knack 3 as Insomniac's next big game)
-Guerrilla multiplayer game ¿Killzone?
-Dreams PC+PS5+PSVR2
-New Media Molecule small new IP? *
-London Studio AAA new IP? *
-Santa Monica new IP by Cory *
-Bend new IP *
-Pixel Opus new IP *
-MLB The Show 22
-Ghost of Tsushima 2
-Uncharted 5/spin-off
-Quantic Dream new IP *
-TLOU remake + TLOU2 PS5 bundle (+TLOU PC?)
-ND new IP *
-Another Bluepoint remake (Metal Gear or Uncharted 1?)
-Housemarque new IP *
-Teaming up with Kadokawa for a crossmedia new IP *
-Former Japan Studio devs new IP *

* = new IP

After these we'd see TLOU3, Sucker Punch new IP, Bloodborne 2, Miles Morales 2, Sunset Overdrive 2 (+ remake), Polyphony new IP

Well, that pretty clearly addresses Microsoft's 23 studio advantage. Looks like the output between the two companies is going to be pretty similar.
Maybe in 2089. Hoy many new games released MS in the last half a year? How many games have they announced for the next half a year? Sony's output is way bigger and will continue being way bigger for at least a couple of years. And this is without considering Sony announced they will approximately double their 1st party workforce during the current year.

Don't tell us Phil Hermen, show us. Wonder if Sony will continue the tradition of announcing/showing games waaay before they are ready, and then delay them a few times even further. Also, quality over quantity, 25 doesn't mean much if it's games like Knack, The Order, Killzone, TLG etc. games barely anyone cares about. But who knows, rumors say they want to get back into MP field, so chances are at least some of those 25 games are MP-oriented.
Other than Halo, Psychonats 2 and the couple of Bethesda PS5 timed console exclusive we don't know which year is going to release MS their next games.

Sony will have Ratchet, Guilty Gear Strive, Kena, Stray, Horizon 2, GoW2 and GT7 and so on from now to early next year and all of them were announced last year. And yes, Sony will continue their tradition of the recent years where they have been announcing games to be released in a year or two showing the game running on the console instead of with CGs. Regarding quality over quantity, they are by far the company with more GOTYs winners and GOTY candidates in the last decade.

And yes, it's already confirmed that some of these games are MP.

more blockbusters

giphy.gif
As I remember some 'journalist' said they were going to reduce their output, would stop making smaller games and would focus on a few existing super successful single player blockbuster IPs. Wow, annonimous sources. Much journalism.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
As long as they didn't include indie games for them 25 games in development, gimme some AAA cinematic games fuck the haters

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

lmao, because Sony is the company that puts out mediocre games, right? 😂

It's not like Sony has no game management skills and, therefore, has acquired a bunch of game studios and teams that haven't released a 90+ game in years.

PlayStation will be fine, as it always has been with great games. Don't worry.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Sony had more mature exclusive games last gen and even this gen than MS did....Disney like characters....can someone show footage of blowing someone's jaw off in tlou2

I'm optimistic but with only 13 studios the "over 25" seems suspect to me and would require each team to have at least 2 games in development. Then you have timeframes for these games, 2 to 3 years min it would be highly unlikely we'll see all these this gen.

yurinka

As long as they didn't include indie games for them 25 games in development, gimme some AAA cinematic games fuck the haters
These are more than 25 games published by Sony, one of the biggest game publishers in the world. Their games aren't indies.

I'm optimistic but with only 13 studios the "over 25" seems suspect to me and would require each team to have at least 2 games in development. Then you have timeframes for these games, 2 to 3 years min it would be highly unlikely we'll see all these this gen.
Several Sony 1st party studios work in multiple games at the same time. They announced that plan to basically double their 1st party workforce during the current. And they also publish 2nd party games.

Can we get a bloodborne 2 or new From soft IP? At least one Japanese game out of those 25?
There are at least two Japanese games there: Gran Turimo 7 and the next Japan Studio game, very likely another Astro. Sony made a gaming deal with Kadokawa (From Soft parent company) for the future, so expect them working together, and very likely with From once they stop being busy with Elder Ring. XDEV also posted a job offer to work with Japanese 2nd party games and Jim Ryan said they were working on strengthening bonds with Japanese devs.

I wonder which one of them are not the third person though.
I presume Deathloop and Ghostwire are included?
These >25 games only includes the ones published by Sony. Includes big games, small games from many genres, new IPs and existing IPs, SP and MP, and very likely 3rd person and 1st person games.

Doesn't include AAA 3rd party exclusives like Deathloop, Ghostwire, FFXVI, FFVII Ep2, Guilty Gear Strive etc. It also doesn't include 3rd party indie exclusives.

No. 2022/2023 more likely.
No, late 2022 or early 2023 these studios will start releasing their first next gen only exclusives, and obviously won't release a dozen of games in a single month. They will release one or two games every few months to don't overlap sales (or well, to have fresh GamePass content during more months). Which means we'll be in 2024 and some MS teams still won't have published their first next gen only exclusive game. And we know some of their projects won't be released before 2024.

We know several of their studios were working on multiple games, that most of them have been growing, that they will increase their 1st party workforce in over $183M (so basically will double it) during year and that are open to buy some studio. And well, this list also includes 2nd party games.

All these games will be released this gen, for sure. Jim Ryan said PS5 will have more exclusives than any other PlayStation released before, he said it knowing the games they will publish, in addition to the AAA 3rd party exclusives they signed, plus all the 3rd party indie exclusives they signed.

lol

I really do wish Sony would put some effort into more complex games... stop forcing cutscenes/boring gameplay story segements, etc.

But while they aren't 100% my cup of tea, they make really solid gameplay too. Which TBH sometimes makes their games even more disapointing for me, because I do feel they have far more potential to do more with their tools/devs than just make insanely good looking yet fairly simple games.
They recently released games like Returnal or Demon's Souls, you may like them. Can you mention some example of 'more complex games' or the type of games you are asking for, and to list a few companies who do a better job than Sony there?

Also the article doesn't actually use "1st party" and calls out indies.

So that 25 number probably isn't 1st party dev; it's all the exclusives they are building and partners are building.

If I had to guess, I'd guess by "Playstation Studios" they are including published games. It's also not a direct quote; so who knows what Hulst actually said.
Notice that the "over 25 games" are from "the group", so PlayStation Studios. Which includes 1st and 2nd party games. Not 3rd party AAA or indie exclusives.

Notice also that when indies are mentioned they include 'too', which means indies weren't included in the previous group of the >25 games.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Good stuff, hope they add some diversity to the portfolio and not just third person action adventure titles. Do a racing game for one. A fighting game. A strategy game. Heck, a FPS. The problem I have with Sony is not the amount of games, but the amount of overlap between them.
Third-person isn't a genre. Spider-Man does not play like God of War. TLOU doesn't play like Ratchet & Clank.

And Sony does plenty of different types of games: Racing (Gran Turismo), fighting (Guilty Strive), FPS (Killzone + Firewalk's team is working on a AAA multiplayer + GG's second time is also working on a shooter).

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Don't tell us Phil Hermen, show us. Wonder if Sony will continue the tradition of announcing/showing games waaay before they are ready, and then delay them a few times even further. Also, quality over quantity, 25 doesn't mean much if it's games like Knack, The Order, Killzone, TLG etc. games barely anyone cares about. But who knows, rumors say they want to get back into MP field, so chances are at least some of those 25 games are MP-oriented.
From what we're hearing, games like Perfect Dark, Avowed and Fable are still a ways off. Do you feel the same way about those?

Top Bottom