• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst teases future Sony collaborations with FromSoftware

kyliethicc

In a new interview, Hulst teases plans for future collaboration with FromSoft after Sony’s investment.

Also says they might explore some film/show ideas too.

So is Hulst teasing the long sought after, fan requested, highly anticipated Sony and FromSoftware collaboration - Déraciné 2?

Other investments include the purchase of a minority stake in Japanese developer FromSoftware, whose action role playing game "Elden Ring" has sold more than 16.6 million units.

"You should think of collaborations on the game development side first and foremost, but it's also not unthinkable with our PlayStation Productions efforts that we explore opportunities," Hulst said of the FromSoftware investment.

mansoor1980

excellent decision by hermen , bloodborne 2 is locked for sony ecosystem
i had doubts about him after the HZD remaster fiasco but my faith has been restored with this thread by OP

ee1.gif

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Dont care much for From Soft stuff, but
more PC port focus sound great.

Sold my PS5 because I didn't use it for 2 years (since launch). I thought Sony's exclusives should be worth it... Until it turns out there are barely any meaningful new-gen exclusives on the thing. If more and more ports come to PC I'll gladly play them there.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yeah the head of playstation is prioritising pc instead of playstation. Make sense genius

That's the new normal better get used to it. Games like horizon 2 were developed in tandem with PC versions in mind. A well optimized and future proofed PC version of a game makes it easier to work on next gen console remasters afterwards. (GTA V)

Look at games like Bloodborne and MGS4 to see what happens when games are developed with a console only mindset. Those games could be 4k 60 on PC/PS5 instead of the subpar versions we have now on legacy platforms

Last edited:
It would be a strange investment if there weren’t mutual benefits to both sides, beyond finance. Sony doesn’t invest in that way - even investing in Epic has strengthened the Fortnite and UE collaboration.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You wonder if Armored Core could be one of those PC + Live Service games he's talking about. FromSoftware is likely ambitious enough and capable enough to jump into the GAAS era. Armored Core (Tarkov inspired?) would seem like the perfect fit considering how poorly the franchise has sold as a single player experience.

SLB1904

Banned
That's the new normal better get used to it. Games like horizon 2 were developed in tandem with PC versions in mind. A well optimized and future proofed PC version of a game makes it easier to work on next gen console remasters afterwards. (GTA V)

Look at games like Bloodborne and MGS4 to see what happens when games are developed with a console only mindset. Those games could be 4k 60 on PC/PS5 instead of the subpar versions we have now on legacy platforms

Did you just make all this stuff on the spot?
If you don't have any source of this nonsense don't bother replying because I'm not arguing with you about your feelings or whatever fantasy you create on your head

ACESHIGH

Banned
You wonder if Armored Core could be one of those PC + Live Service games he's talking about. FromSoftware is likely ambitious enough and capable enough to jump into the GAAS era. Armored Core (Tarkov inspired?) would seem like the perfect fit considering how poorly the franchise has sold as a single player experience

From software GAAS would be the stuff of nightmares after how they pulled the plug on online play on the PC versions of dark souls. I think they still haven't fixed online on some of those games.

kyussman

4 big titles in a year while the competition is totally missing in action = low effort in gaming :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Btw it's clear they have not bought a stake in both Kadokawa and From Software for the sake of it.
I expect collaboration projects are already underway.
I didn't actually say low effort gaming...I said more effort into tv/movies....but I was just making a point about their current business plan,which I'm not really a fan of.

jm89

I'm not lying,lol.....I'm just making a point that I don't like all the focus on tv and movies while shitting out remasters of new games and directors cuts which are the same game again with a new level....I know they are still making a good amount of games.I'm just not really down with their current business plan.
It's not really effecting the game output though, herman or jim even said they are working on 25 games and half are new ips, that is probably the most they've ever worked on. And those remasters even though i'm not intersted and don't like the price point, it's a smart buisness move when they have a tv show coming out for it.

For example witcher 3 saw a sales bump when the witcher show aired. They are trying to capture a new audience.

Even if we assume they have shifted their focus to tvs/movies they are still putting more new games out then their main competition who basically did bareley anything this year.

Last edited:

John Wick

They should do a collaboration between FromSoftware and Bluepoint. First remaster Bloodborne for PS5 and PC. Then do Bloodborne 2 and a new title if not Demon’s Souls 2

vivftp

I'm not lying,lol.....I'm just making a point that I don't like all the focus on tv and movies while shitting out remasters of new games and directors cuts which are the same game again with a new level....I know they are still making a good amount of games.I'm just not really down with their current business plan.

That's a rather myopic view of things. Sony has massively expanded their gaming operations both internally and through acquisition over the last 3 years and it seems they're making more games than ever before. The remaster/remakes you're concerned about aren't done in-lieu of new games, they're done in addition to them. They're modernizing and refreshing their lineup because they're bringing many of their titles to PC which necessitates offering a cutting edge experience to ask full price for games that originally came out years ago. At the same time the PS5 reaps the benefit of these efforts in the way of remaster/remakes.

In addition to that, PlayStation Productions is utilizing Sony Pictures to bring their IP to film and television.

All of that doesn't effect their new game development at all. They're expanding on all fronts, there's no need to be upset that some of those fronts don't float your boat when they're still expanding on the fronts that do interest you.

You wonder if Armored Core could be one of those PC + Live Service games he's talking about. FromSoftware is likely ambitious enough and capable enough to jump into the GAAS era. Armored Core (Tarkov inspired?) would seem like the perfect fit considering how poorly the franchise has sold as a single player experience.

There is no way Fromsoft is doing live service lol

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Everything is possible if you put your heart in it. It would be the closest we would get to kings field.

From my personal experience with VR I don’t know how they’d handle rolling and stamina drain. Especially when you’re physically swinging and blocking?

Would the game just not register your swings until the stamina bar fills up again?

I just don’t know. I think they’d have to simplify combat a bit. An “arcadey” Dark Souls could be fun.

Salz01

I personally want less teasing and or hinting from this Sony Playststion Exec group, and more showing / displaying software products after collaborating.

Top Bottom