• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Atlus, want a lot of $$$? make a Shin Megami Tensei "Monster Hunter Clone".

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not sure I'd expect Atlus of all people to deliver on your next-gen desires.

I'd take it at the Catherine visual level. Wii U is fine.

But I've had enough games stuck in a vague-ish PS2 era type visual fidelity. I want to move on to HD, with a ground up engine that can take advantage of the many ways more power inherently improves genres like Monster Hunters. I neeeeds it in my life :(

9thWonder said:
Monster Hunter Online

I knew someone was going to say that. One, I hardly consider that even in the same realm of quality of a true Monster Hunter game. And two, they put close to no effort into its visual engine, so gross. I hear they updated some stuff recently though

But I've had enough games stuck in a vague-ish PS2 era type visual fidelity. I want to move on to HD, with a ground up engine that can take advantage of the many ways more power inherently improves genres like Monster Hunters. I neeeeds it in my life :(

I knew someone was going to say that. One, I hardly consider that even in the same realm of quality of a true Monster Hunter game. And two, they put close to no effort into its visual engine, so gross. I hear they updated some stuff recently though

They are using cryengine, looks aight to me.

I don't know. Frankly, I would expect Atlus to put it on a handheld(isn't MonHun more popular on handhelds in Japan)? They haven't really been supporting home consoles much since the end of gen 6, when it comes to titles they develop.

Amir0x

Banned
oh I know it's unlikely. I just am so, so ready for it. I've played enough games like that, it's not like I haven't. I'm ready to move on to the next-level for this genre :(

i want console monster hunter clones please. i have MH3HD for ps3 but an honest this or next gen game would be swell. dragons dogma with the monster hunter setup would be a swell fusion.

Toad.T

Banned
Nah. They should stop beating around the bush and make a Megaten version of Rockin' Kats.

JACK FROST SHOW TIME CLAP CLAP.

Pooya

Anyone who has actually played the Raidou games will know this is a terrible idea. Atlus doesn't seem to have designers who are actually good at implementing to designing action mechanics. A poor action game that is designed just to cash in on a popular genre is never a good idea. They have limited resources as a company and should focus on what their fans actually like from them and what they're good at.

true, they can always outsource it to someone who can though!

redcrayon

plenty of them on handhelds. there are better ways of handling RPG action
No, action-based combat isn't inately superior to turn-based, it depends on the game. For relatively complex combat systems where you have a whole range of weaknesses, alignments, the time of day, formations and status effects to keep track of, turn-based is fine.

I wouldn't want turn-based combat in Monster Hunter, but then I wouldn't want action-based combat in dungeon crawlers like SMT or Legend of Grimrock either.

On the whole we don't get enough turn-based games on consoles (compared to handhelds and PC gaming) due to the genres that are the most popular there. It's not because 'action' is superior, it's because there aren't that many games requiring strategy over good-looking combos and gunplay etc on consoles. You could make X-com a generic third-person action game but it would lose everything that appeals about it to me.

gngf123

SMT doesn't need more waifus, it doesn't need to have a Monster Hunter next gen HD spinoff, and they shouldn't start moving away from turn based combat.

If you want waifus, go stick with your Persona games (and thankfully they have dropped the SMT branding from the Persona games now). If you want a terrible Monster Hunter clone, pick up a Vita it seems to be getting plenty of them.

Another Devil Summoner game could be good, though.

On the whole we don't get enough turn-based games on consoles (compared to handhelds and PC gaming) due to the genres that are the most popular there. It's not because 'action' is superior, it's because there aren't that many games requiring strategy over good-looking combos and gunplay etc on consoles. You could make X-com a generic third-person action game but it would lose everything that appeals about it to me.
Are you sure most RPGs are turn based because the battle system is complex enough to make it mandatory, or just out of preference? Something like X-Com, yeah, but I don't think the games he had in mind are really quite like that. That said, there's no objectively superior option, so developers will keep making both turn based and action games as long as people are willing to pay for them, and there's nothing wrong with that.
If you want waifus, go stick with your Persona games

Isabeaubobo isn't your waifu?

redcrayon

Are you sure most RPGs are turn based because the battle system is complex enough to make it mandatory, or just out of preference? Something like X-Com, yeah, but I don't think the games he had in mind are really quite like that. That said, there's no objectively superior option, so developers will keep making both turn based and action games as long as people are willing to pay for them, and there's nothing wrong with that

Oh, absolutely. Where both are feasible, why should it not come down to developer/customer preference. On the one hand, I love the spectacle of the action combat of Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma, Fallout, Dragon Age or Ys, and on the other I like the sense in Etrian Odyssey or Grimrock or DQ or SMT that every move counts. Also it's tied into the roots of RPGs as tabletop games (and previously strategy wargames), I suppose, but that's not a bad thing, there are plenty of them that translate very well into computer games as not every game needs to be an adrenalin rush just because they can be.

What I don't agree with is the sentiment that, because consoles can run awesome action games, it makes anything that requires and encourages a few moments thought redundant. I like to have a bit of variety, and sometimes I'd rather play a more sedate game, with more in common with the tabletop style, each action carefully chosen over as much time as I like with a nice cup of tea, than be charging around at a rate of knots whacking monsters. Sometimes I'd rather do exactly the opposite! :D Perhaps it's just that I find turn-based particularly suited to the more difficult dungeon crawlers due to the resource management being a large part of it.

Monster Hunter is something else entirely, for me I love the action-based combat there, as the strategy element is evident in the preparation. You can spend as long as you like tailoring exactly the right loadout, abilities, consumables and traps, increasing your chance of success, and you can only carry so much. Often there is a break in between scraps with the beast to sharpen your weapon, heal, regroup and discuss what bits of it to target next. In that way I think it contains enough variety to cover everything I want, the buzz in the tavern as the group musters, the tempo of the hunt is high as everyone starts off searching for and then racing towards the beast, followed by brief breaks as it goes to ground or leaves the area, the high of the win, and the obligatory moaning back in the tavern about how the game knows what you want from the carve but is denying you your new hat! It makes each session feel nicely paced. I must have put 400 hours into the series by now.

/edit: on reflection this is a long-winded way of saying 'why can't we have both? :D

Takao

Banned

You're thinking probably about Frontier. Online is a different game aimed at the non-Japan Asia market. Neither are development by the proper MH teams though.

magnetic

I´m pretty shocked we´re on page 3 already and nobody has mentioned Soul Sacrifice.

If you like a fucked-up apocalyptic world full of disguting demons, this might just be perfect for you!

Soul-Sacrifice-Off-Screen.jpg

soul-sacrifice-screen.jpg

SoulSacrifice2.jpg

soul_sacrifice_2.jpg

You even have the typical choice between law-neutral-chaos with every single enemy you kill - do you save all the souls you encounter, sacrifice them all or try to stay balanced, which has an active part in the progress you make.

You also don´t have a single weapon type you stick to, but build up a stash of very diverse magic attacks, which feels more like the heavy magic use in SMT. It also has much quicker gameplay than Monster Hunter; the latter being much more deliberate and methodical, whereas SS feels more chaotic and the battles go by a lot faster.

I really love this game.

So long as we can maintain the hype till it's release I think Persona 5 will make them quite a bit of cash. Maybe not MH cash, but I'm not a big fan of the MH series anyway.

Top Bottom