• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF! What type of Table Top/Board Games do you play?

Can I bump this to be the Boardgame-GAF thread?

Currently rotating between:
  • Sleeping Gods
  • Gloomhaven
  • Cthulhu Death May Die
  • Coffee Roaster
and waiting patiently for the following pledges:
  • ISS Vanguard
  • Frostpunk
  • Freedom Five
among many others but these are my most anticipated.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I need a 2-4 (more is okay too, it needs to play good for 2 & 4) player board game. Something older folks not into geeky nerdy stuff could enjoy so not sci fi like Terraforming Mars. Not boring like Monopoly, not taxing/long like chess.

It needs to either be100% language agnostic after explaining the rules (so no writing on cards and pieces and what not) or be something that's not too new or too niche so that it's likely to have had translations in my country.

I've been looking around and seem to have settled on potential choices like Carcassonne 20th Anniversary Edition, Settlers of Catan, though I'm not sure what true edition rules the latest localization is, and Stone Age.

Wingspan seemed promising and is surprisingly already available localized but it's also maybe a tad too complex with all the different point pieces and rules and it's pricy for something that may not click.

A friend is edging me towards Settlers of Catan, but it seems that word is it's not great if you go down to 2 players. I'd also like a simpler and quicker 2 player game, like the card based Wizard, Ohanami should release here soon too.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I need 2-4 (more is okay too, but it needs to play good for 2) player board games. Something older folks not into geeky nerdy stuff could enjoy so not sci fi like Terraforming Mars. Not boring like Monopoly, not taxing/long like chess.

It needs to either be100% language agnostic after explaining the rules (so no writing on cards and pieces and what not) or be something that's not too new or too niche so that it's likely to have had translations in my country.

I've been looking around and seem to have settled on potential choices like Carcassonne 20th Anniversary Edition, Settlers of Catan, though I'm not sure what true edition rules the latest localization is, and Stone Age.

Wingspan seemed promising and is surprisingly already available localized but it's also maybe a tad too complex with all the different point pieces and rules and it's pricy for something that may not click.

A friend is edging me towards Settlers of Catan but it seems that word is it's not great if you go down to 2 players. I'd also like a simpler and quicker 2 player game, like the card based Wizard, Ohanami should release here soon too.

Some I enjoy these days, perfect with 2-4
710k5IvsqIL._AC_SL1021_.jpg
6198LLbBRPS._AC_SL1000_.jpg
41139Fwg99L._AC_SL1012_.jpg

I know Dune is a "sci fi" setting but the game is very much a euro-style game, combining deckbuilding, worker placement and area control. If the theme really is a problem yo can go for

91ZtO2M6LUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Which is a somewhat older release but a great worker placement / set collection game, with a theme that really works well with the mechanisms.

Edit: sorry overlooked the "no writing on cards", Parks and Deep Sea Adventure only use icons, the other two games have text on cards and player sheets.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

I need a 2-4 (more is okay too, it needs to play good for 2 & 4) player board game. Something older folks not into geeky nerdy stuff could enjoy so not sci fi like Terraforming Mars. Not boring like Monopoly, not taxing/long like chess.

A friend is edging me towards Settlers of Catan, but it seems that word is it's not great if you go down to 2 players. I'd also like a simpler and quicker 2 player game, like the card based Wizard, Ohanami should release here soon too.
Settlers of Catan is definetly more fun with more players.
What about Dice games?
For easy quick 2 player+ fun I recommend Zombie Dice

I'm just watching the funding counter for Marvel Zombicide, it hasn't stopped climbing since the campaign launched. Currently at US$3m with no sign of slowing!

I'm in for base pledge and if I don't like it the resale market for Zombicide KS content is always hot.

Last edited:

Raphael

Did you choose anything? 7 wonders might be something to consider as well.

Edit: ah nevermind 7 wonders is not too good for 2 actually.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

7 Wonders Duel! It's a 2 player version and it's really good. I got it for Christmas and we have been playing it non-stop.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
RISK!

Beside that, not many.

Thinking of getting into a new board game to play with my family and 40k caught my attention, but would anybody consider that a board game? You do play on a board and there are dice involved, so it's gotta be a board game right?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

I ended up getting one for my sister and her husband (Canvas, so if they didn't like it they could hang the box like a painting at least, lol, it looks very neat though, I almost got Wingspan instead but it was more expensive and Canvas seemed better for beginners) instead of to play with my dad.
Canvas_Card%20Layering.gif

I couldn't find anything suitable for him. I personally got interested in things like 7 Wonders Duels but I don't think he could play that. I might still get Carcassonne some time or if they do a new Catan edition here to be sure it's up to date, I don't think anything more complex would work for him.

Last edited:

BigBeauford

20220106_073104.jpg

My collection was complaining about how it has been months since it's been touched by me. #deadboardgameroom

Last edited:
I've always been interested in Cosmic Frog, Nemesis, Brass and Lost Ruins of Arnak but never had the chance to play them - which of those am I missing out on the most?

I ended up getting one for my sister and her husband (Canvas, so if they didn't like it they could hang the box like a painting at least, lol, it looks very neat though, I almost got Wingspan instead but it was more expensive and Canvas seemed better for beginners) instead of to play with my dad.
Canvas_Card%20Layering.gif

I couldn't find anything suitable for him. I personally got interested in things like 7 Wonders Duels but I don't think he could play that. I might still get Carcassonne some time or if they do a new Catan edition here to be sure it's up to date, I don't think anything more complex would work for him.
Good choice. Wingspan is a great game but it's a lot heavier than people think. Canvas will be a good place to start.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Unmatched!!!!
Me and my lad are always trying out different combos....Bigfoot Vs Jurassic park Raptors is a particular favourite.

Zombiecide Green Horde for a Gauntlet-like fun few hours

Mansions Of Madness 2nd Edition

Tend to play the following solo...

Gloomhaven JOTL- started but not played for a while.

Under Falling Skies

Marvel Champions (awesome game)

Also Spire's End, which is closer to a Choose Your Own Adventure style book experience than a board game. Lot of fun, great graphic design too.

Just ore-ordered Final Girl for its UK release and I have "Arkeis" backed through Kickstarter...

Tend to play the following solo...

Gloomhaven JOTL- started but not played for a while.

Under Falling Skies

Marvel Champions (awesome game)

Also Spire's End, which is closer to a Choose Your Own Adventure style book experience than a board game. Lot of fun, great graphic design too.

Just ore-ordered Final Girl for its UK release and I have "Arkeis" backed through Kickstarter...

Good taste in games man, Gloomhaven, Falling Skies and Marvel Champions are a few of my favourite games too.

I went all-in on the first season of Final Girl, still trying to decide whether to go all-in on season 2 or just get the Aliens film.

Jennings

Right now my favorite board game to play solo is Ghost Stories. I got it about 10 years ago and it can be played with up to four players, but because I have no friends or family I play it alone and it's designed to be played that way if you want. It's a very fun game.

But over the last day or so NeoGaf has been getting ads for a brand new board game called Twilight Inscription. I've never played Twilight Imperium but have always wanted to, and even though the gameplay in this new spinoff is nothing like Twilight Imperium, the artwork and game play I've seen looks great for a solo player. It can also be played with multiple players, but it has a good built-in AI.

I normally wouldn't think about the game twice because I do have a good number of solo games right now, but these ads are really doing a number on my subconscious mind. I really want to play this game, and it gets harder not to buy it every time I'm reminded of it.

Last edited:

rohanmehra

Neo Member
Although i like to play chess, shadow hunters. Now i started playing 2 card game: poker and rummy on my phone. Trust me it is the most interesting game i have ever played. But you have to know the basic rummy rules and strategy for it.

Cyberpunkd

I often play with my young kids, I found what they like the most are all games that you manipulate physically - you push something, you click on something, etc. Ravensburger makes good games like that.

Johnny2Bad

I used to be into war games (Avalon Hill & SPI). The one I played the most was Advanced Squad Leader. Video games ruined me for board games.

Ammogeddon

I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole of getting into board games lately. I’m into Warhammer but needed something a bit more accessible for my family and something that I can have a crack at on my own too. I have to stop buying them for now and work my way through the quests then maybe have a look at some expansions.
GAwCXca.jpg

Dc7icPA.jpg

YqqVKzO.jpg

kunonabi

I finally got my board game table so I'm going to start going through my single player stuff while I wait for my friends' children to grow up so they can leave their houses again.

Thinking about getting "The Quest Kids".

Going on vacation for easter/sb and will have 1/4/5/6/7 year olds with us. read good stuff about this game, so hoping it works out well. will return to amazon though if not.

anyone have experience with it?

Ideally I want the 6/7 yr olds to be able to manage their own stuff and make relatively smart decisions. Also a key want is replayability.

Liljagare

Space Hulk. Been making the board in 3d casts for 4 years now, 80% done with it... :p

It's mainly the cost of the dental plaster that stops progress, lol.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Currently playing:
Dungeons and Dragons
Boss Monster
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Betrayal at Baldurs Gate
Overboss

Used to Play:
Descent
Warhammer Age of Sigmar

Own but have not played:
Star Trek Adventures
Shadowrun 6e
Gloomhaven
Gloomhaven standalone streamlined version
Lords of Waterdeep
Founders of Gloomhaven
Currently playing nothing. My group basically disbanded. We sort of play DND every so often, but it's getting harder because my friends are busy lately.

That said, I have hopes we rejoin again. I was hoping to get print a Warhammer Old World Army or two. And a bunch of DND minis. Basically the entire monster manual.

Top Bottom