• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, Gaming NERD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Don't you have ANYTHING better to do than come into my store, as you're on the phone talking to someone at another game store, and ask stupid pointless questions on Monday at 1pm? This is what he said:

"Yeah, hi...I'm calling to see if my Zelda 4 Swords came in today....NO? But the automatic message I receive SAID it was in! Yeah...it's not? But it SAID it was in? No? That's what the message told me..." (This goes on for five more minutes) Then he turns to me and asks me for a "device" (it's called a screwdriver nerdo) that opens up a Game Cube, since he dropped his and it broke. Right.

Sorry, no real point here, just venting. :)

Lyte Edge

bishoptl said:
How on earth you held back from kicking his monkey ass from here to Turin, I'll never know.

Years of experience has enabled me to appear perfectly calm/happy even when I'm pissed off at these morons. :p But the real training probably came from when I was a camp counselor one year before I was old enough to work a "real job." If you can handle 20 4-year old kids, you can handle some dumb annoying customers.

OH GREAT TWO MORE KILL ME WITH FANTA COMMERCIALS NOW. It's "stereotypical white nerd-boy" and "stereotypical thug-wannabe black man" in here now! Whitey went for the games; he'll leave me be unless he wants to buy something, at which point he'll whine about the price, and thug went for the kiosk with Soul Calibur 2. He'll either play for 10 minutes and leave, or attempt to mutter some dumb question without taking his eyes off the ground. Yep...it's another typical Monday here.

BuddyC

I got to work about an hour ago, checked some stuff out...and I was about to start actually working as my brother told me he was coming in soon (I'm training him so he can make money when I take days off for my other job).

So now I'm holding off on working again...so yea, that's....over an hour of no work. Well, I guess I did remove a staple. Anyways, yea, a typical Monday here too.

evil ways

Years ago when I worked retail at TRU's R Zone, I had the same thing happen to me everytime a newly released game was supposed to come out, it's even more annoying when people call at 8:30-9:00am expecting the game to magically be there on release day, then you politely tell them no and they just don't let it go.

I had people argue with me when I told them to either try calling back after 3:00pm or the next day. Then there's those people who call, then a few minutes later call again thinking that by some miracle of life, another employee will pick up the phone and give them good, different news than the ones I just gave them.

Lyte Edge

One day I'd love to just ask someone (as in the slackers/time wasters, not the actual customers that buy shit and leave) why they're in a shitty video game store doing nothing on a weekday instead of at work/school or with their family. I love the guys in particular that come in with their wives/girlfriends and waste a ton of time while their women look bored out of their minds, or the kids who come in with parents wanting to trade Yu-Gi-Oh cards (ABSOLUTE HELL) that can sometimes stay in the store for over an hour. One parent asked me on Saturday how I can put up with the Yu-Gi-Oh craziness (we have tournaments on Saturdays...and it's just me by myself. I don't have to run them, but I have to put up with all these little morons for at least three hours straight), and I wanted to know how he could stand there with his wife while his kid looked at the same 5 cards over and over FOR TWO HOURS STRAIGHT...in the middle of the tournament with all the noisy kids.

Lyte Edge

EDIT: Stereotype whitey left. Thug is still in here on Soul Calibur 2. He's one of those guys that thinks this place is an arcade. Harmless, but annoying. Whitey was replaced by "I don't have a job and just rolled out of bed 10 minutes ago" guy.

Some more phone calls:

Me: Swap USA.
Caller: (Sounds like he's 9 years old) Um...what time do you close?
Me: At 8 o'clock.
Caller: When?
Me: At 8.
Caller: When?
Me: EIGHT.
Caller: Um...what time do you close?

**I hang up** Sounds like bad attempt at a prank.

Then the phone rings again. This time it's his mom. Jeez lady, if you want to know when this place closes, CALL YOURSELF INSTEAD OF PUTTIN YOUR ULTRA SHY KID ON THE PHONE. She does the same thing he does. Guess their phone sucks. :p

Caller: Is this the game swap.
Me: .....
Me: Yes.
Caller: Do ya'll buy the used games?
Caller: Even Dreamcast?
Caller: HowmuchIgetforthat?
Me: About $6.
Caller: $6?
Caller: $6?
Me: SIX. DOLLARS.
Caller: Okay, thanks.

Caller: ....
Caller: ......Hello?
Me: Hello.
Caller: Is this Swap USA?
Caller: You buy Yu-Gi-Oh cards, right?
Me: No.
Caller: YOU DON'T?!
Me: No, we don't.
Caller: Well do you sell them?
Me: Yes, and you can trade certain cards ONLY towards other single cards. We don't buy them.
Caller: Well, I have two twin boys. Both are eight. They have a Nintendo 64. (Hey lady, WTF do I care?) Can I trade the cards for some games?
Me: No, only towards other cards.
Caller: So I can't sell them to you?
Me: No.
Caller: Well do you know anyone else that buys them?
Me: I don't think anyone else would buy those cards.

Aaaaannnddddd Thug just left as I type this post. Played SC2, dropped controller, back on the road. WHY DO YOU BOTHER?

Slo

Heh, I'm sometimes guilty of being "that guy" that wastes his time at Best Buy or EB. My job is 20 miles from my house, and I'm always bored as hell during my lunch break so I'll hit the kiosks in the game stores that are close to my office. I generally try to stay away from the clerks though, because I find them even freakier then the average customer.

Triumph

Banned
thorns said:
Well you are exactly being paid to deal with those kind of people, so stop whining.
Thpppt... he's being paid to serve customers. Sounds like he's monitoring loafers, lamers and idiots to me.

Work in retail. It erodes your soul on a daily basis.

Lyte Edge

Mason said:
You should set up a webcam so we can watch this stuff.

On this shitty 56k connection on this crappy OLD PC that crashes every time a new window opens in IE or when we have to use AOL to send the closing reports? That's not going to happen. :) I'd love that, though. See, what adds to the "charm" of this place is this broken old computer in desperate need of a replacement, and now the receipt printer is broken and prints the receipts 10 times slower than normal. Meanwhile, one of our other stores down the road (that I also work at...it's cleaner and much better-looking than this one, although still shitty) is absolutely DEAD, and they got a newer PC to use and a thermal printer. We get squat...even the vacuum is messed up so it's hard to keep the place completely clean. I do my best, but the other guy here has basically given up and is now a completely bitter game store employee that doesn't really do a thing around here other than talk on his cell phone all day. It's been almost sad watching him go into the game store gutter since he started working here. I usually have to spend about two hours cleaning up after him and the other slob here every monday that I've been coming in, and frankly, I'm getting tired of it. I'll be off for a month in July-August; can't wait to get the hell out of here. As a matter of fact, I'm considering quitting before end of the year when I graduate and getting a real job once I finish school. I was planning on staying until next summer as I want to apply for the JET program, but I can't take this place anymore after 8 years.

Lyte Edge

Slo, weird/stupid people are always on both sides of the counter. It's not so much them wasting time as much as it watching the stupid/nasty things they do or the dumb things they ask. Getting the street sales people out here that try to hock their crap is also not a lot of fun.

Raoul Duke said:
Thpppt... he's being paid to serve customers. Sounds like he's monitoring loafers, lamers and idiots to me.

Work in retail. It erodes your soul on a daily basis.

Yep. I KNOW you know what's up. :) I'm able to stay generally stress-free and somewhat motivated (to keep the place clean and be nice to people) this summer because of my schedule. I only work four days a week. It's 10 hours per day, but I get off the following day except on Friday and Saturday, so I can stay sane. Last week I had to cover for someone on sunday, which I was okay with as I THOUGHT we were closed on Memorial Day, but I had to open from 10-6, and I was pretty pissed off. My co-worker took friday for me, though, so it was okay in the end.

Thorns, have you ever worked retail? I guarantee if you ever do, you wouldn't be saying that. And I'm also not getting paid to play "house cleaner" and clean up after the other slobs that work here. It's worse at the other store, though...I actually had to clean up after one of the owner's dirty napkins and flush the toilet after him when I came in that morning. That guy is so lazy he can't even FLUSH HIS PEE?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
When I worked at EB....if I had a dollar for everytime some f&ckwad said

"but on the Internet it said it was coming out today!" with a smug face that suggested he has seen right through my weak plot to keep his game in my store for one more day.

"Uh, sir, that is the shipping date; you see there are these things called trucks, which the games have to be put on......"

People suck

Lyte Edge

EB needs to chanage their site layout so that in HUGE letters, "NOW **SHIPPING**" appears above the new games, and "New Releases" should be changed to "In Stores NOW" with the titles that have arrived in the actual brick and mortar stores. People are too stupid to read that new releases on the web sites means that the games are in stock and are now on their way to stores. :p

Yay, overly-happy Swap 4 "manager" is on his way here soon. That means I can leave to get lunch. I already ate, but I'm getting the hell out of here for 10-15 minutes. Guess I'll fill up my gas tank or something. Then I'll play some games or watch some movies since there's nothing left to be done here for the day, and I have to sit here for another five and half hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom