• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Mario, were you aware that Bowser beat you and Link?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I don't want to come across as biased here because I'm the Bowser guy, but I procured Mario 3D World and Bowser's Fury during the Black Friday sale and I have come to the conclusion that Bowser's Fury, while short and poorly optimised is a BETTER GAME than either Mario Odyssey or BOTW which both bored me.

Yes my friends, you heard here first Bowser has surpassed Mario and Link in his very own game. It's been a long time coming. I never really like Mario and wanted Bowser to have more games named after him instead.

To be blunt, Bowser's Fury flips the marioverse upside down and brings the open world darkness and grit that was much needed shot in the arm to the fatigued franchise.

It's just a shame that due to the Switch's cruddy hardware it's hard to appreciate the graphics which are actually way better. I cannot wait to try this at 4k 60 fps on my new Christmas rig.

Just look at this artstyle.

This is so beautiful to me.

imrs.php

Bragr

Banned
Your opinion that this is better than Odyssey and BOTW is obviously, dumb as fuck.

But, it's a great little game. The way you use your water dinosaur as you would a horse in other open-world games works well, and the way you can see each little area from anywhere on the map, and how they hold back on building massive towers that would be annoying to climb over and over but keep it smart and compact, is great. It's a good blueprint for a full open-world Mario game.

The constant switching to rain and Bowser's attack was the annoying part.

And for some reason, I have a feeling that they won't build the next 3D Mario in this manner, I think they will stick with traditional levels.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I had a theory I didn’t care too much about that Bowser’s Fury was a lead-in to the movie and a full Odyssey 2 that is based around it.

However, it appears I was wrong.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Your opinion that this is better than Odyssey and BOTW is obviously, dumb as fuck.

But, it's a great little game. The way you use your water dinosaur as you would a horse in other open-world games works well, and the way you can see each little area from anywhere on the map, and how they hold back on building massive towers that would be annoying to climb over and over but keep it smart and compact, is great. It's a good blueprint for a full open-world Mario game.

The constant switching to rain and Bowser's attack was the annoying part.

And for some reason, I have a feeling that they won't build the next 3D Mario in this manner, I think they will stick with traditional levels.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

RCU005

But that’s a Mario game, not Bowser’s …

Anyway, I admit that it was a good experience and hopefully Nintendo learned from it for future games.

I also believe Zelda will be stuck with the BOTW formula for a long time. I even predict that Tears of Kingdom will be practically the same thing and things like dungeons and stuff people want won’t be there.

All in all, Nintendo has been doing a good job reinventing these franchises. I can’t wait for the next Mario game. I can’t even imagine what would it be, but I know I want orchestral music again like in Mario Galaxy.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
But that’s a Mario game, not Bowser’s …

Anyway, I admit that it was a good experience and hopefully Nintendo learned from it for future games.

I also believe Zelda will be stuck with the BOTW formula for a long time. I even predict that Tears of Kingdom will be practically the same thing and things like dungeons and stuff people want won’t be there.

All in all, Nintendo has been doing a good job reinventing these franchises. I can’t wait for the next Mario game. I can’t even imagine what would it be, but I know I want orchestral music again like in Mario Galaxy.
This is a valid point but Bowser is more of a focus in this one which is why the game is ultimately superior.

Trilobit

I sure hope so. Played Link's Awakening a few months ago and was reminded of how sick and tired I was of the old formula. I hope they never return to going to a dungeon, "solving" braindead puzzles, getting an item you barely ever use again, rinse and repeat.

MagnesD3

Im glad you dig it because its awesome, its my 4th favorite 3d mario game. I wouldnt say its better than odyssey due to its length and the lack of balance from cat mario but it IS better conceptually, a full 3d game in that style would be phenominal.

I also enjoyed it more than BOTW but I think its of similar quality tbh than much better than it. I do think an open world game with great design does make more sense for Mario's gameplay than it does zelda.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Hmm, you're obviously entitled to your opinion, but while I did enjoy the 3 hours I spent completing Bowser's Fury, I hardly remember anything about it at all. It was a nice little diversion after completing 3D World though, that's for sure. Wouldn't mind them trying to make a full game out of the experience.

Does it even come close to BotW though? Absolutely not.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's still a Mario game though, not a Bowser game. He's just the villain, like in almost all other Mario games. So your premise is pretty weird.

But yes, it was pretty great. Definitely better than Odyssey (as is SM3DW). Better than BotW though? Nah.

MagnesD3

Hmm, you're obviously entitled to your opinion, but while I did enjoy the 3 hours I spent completing Bowser's Fury, I hardly remember anything about it at all. It was a nice little diversion after completing 3D World though, that's for sure. Wouldn't mind them trying to make a full game out of the experience.

Does it even come close to BotW though? Absolutely not.
I enjoyed it so much when it came out that I 100% percented it twice in 2 weeks...

Moses85

I don't want to come across as biased here because I'm the Bowser guy, but I procured Mario 3D World and Bowser's Fury during the Black Friday sale and I have come to the conclusion that Bowser's Fury, while short and poorly optimised is a BETTER GAME than either Mario Odyssey or BOTW which both bored me.

Yes my friends, you heard here first Bowser has surpassed Mario and Link in his very own game. It's been a long time coming. I never really like Mario and wanted Bowser to have more games named after him instead.

To be blunt, Bowser's Fury flips the marioverse upside down and brings the open world darkness and grit that was much needed shot in the arm to the fatigued franchise.

It's just a shame that due to the Switch's cruddy hardware it's hard to appreciate the graphics which are actually way better. I cannot wait to try this at 4k 60 fps on my new Christmas rig.

Just look at this artstyle.

This is so beautiful to me.

imrs.php

Sorry but
Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

Top Bottom