• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HFW is proof that 30fps needs to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueLegend

So I have been reading comments in the recent fromsoftware article of eurogamer digital foundry and some dumbass said that most people prefer quality over performance version to which my response was what a fucking deluded guy. If anything recent patch of HFW highlights that 30fps needs to go.

To please 1 percent of retards like some kind of minority that require protection, is an absurd take on the whole game development process and creates a myriad of issues of which graphical fidelity is the tip of the iceberg. The whole thing is that this fetish of multiple modes need to stop and developers should focus on one 60 fps mode from start for modern consoles. Later they can add 30,40fps mode if they want but focusing on 60fps from start gives us games like gears 5 which is setup from start for 60fps. No more cloths physics, flying character like bugs once you make 60fps baseline.

If Guerilla focused on 60fps mode from start HFW would have been a better release on technical standpoint. And then for these 1% retards for which I am of strong opinion that their wishes should not be entertained we can have 4k30 fps mode for sake of future preservation. But there is no point in affecting the present experience for future preservation. Also now that PS5 has VRR there is absolutely no need for 30fps to exist, 40fps should be new standard for 4k because nearly all 2.1 hdmi port display support 120hz output. TLDR: Fuck 30fps.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
30fps is going to stay for a long time, however i do hope it applies to 60fps as well.

So far i ALWAYS opt for performance mode 60fps for all the games I played.

I cant go back to 30fps, perhaps I game on a 32inch monitor so its fine for me even games dont run at 4k.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
30fps is cool for marketing, as it allows them to show pretty graphics on the trailer while still having a mode to play the game at 60fps.

But yeah, imo almost no game should be played at anything lower than 60fps. Maybe JRPGS or slow turn-based strategy games could have a pass at 30fps.

fotonoticia_20150312160703_420.jpg

TrueLegend

I mean the world doesnt revolve around you

the exact way you feel, there is as many people who feel same way for quality modes in games.

learn to accept other points of view, you will be less angry
Nope, not as many people. A very very tiny and vocal minority.

I have no problem with 30fps, as long as it's locked.

But in case of HFW, I see no reason to pick Fidelity over Performance.
Same as Demon's Souls Remake.

Last edited:
So op are you saying youd rather play the shittest game at 60fps then the best game in the world at 30fps? I mean 60fps is a total bonus for me and framerate definitely contributes to the game regardless what people say but personally stable 30fps to mean is way more important then a game at 60fps with drops, for me games like og dark souls and dishonoured 2 dont deserve the review scores they get for being incredibly unoptimised

TrueLegend

So op are you saying youd rather play the shittest game at 60fps then the best game in the world at 30fps? I mean 60fps is a total bonus for me and framerate definitely contributes to the game regardless what people say but personally stable 30fps to mean is way more important then a game at 60fps with drops, for me games like og dark souls and dishonoured 2 dont deserve the review scores they get for being incredibly unoptimised
We are talking about modern games on modern consoles.

So I have been reading comments in the recent fromsoftware article of eurogamer digital foundry and some dumbass said that most people prefer quality over performance version to which my response was what a fucking deluded guy. If anything recent patch of HFW highlights that 30fps needs to go.

To please 1 percent of retards like some kind of minority that require protection, is an absurd take on the whole game development process and creates a myriad of issues of which graphical fidelity is the tip of the iceberg. The whole thing is that this fetish of multiple modes need to stop and developers should focus on one 60 fps mode from start for modern consoles. Later they can add 30,40fps mode if they want but focusing on 60fps from start gives us games like gears 5 which is setup from start for 60fps. No more cloths physics, flying character like bugs once you make 60fps baseline.

If Guerilla focused on 60fps mode from start HFW would have been a better release on technical standpoint. And then for these 1% retards for which I am of strong opinion that their wishes should not be entertained we can have 4k30 fps mode for sake of future preservation. But there is no point in affecting the present experience for future preservation. Also now that PS5 has VRR there is absolutely no need for 30fps to exist, 40fps should be new standard for 4k because nearly all 2.1 hdmi port display support 120hz output. TLDR: Fuck 30fps.
Disagree with word selection, 100% agree with sentiment.
30 FPS needs to be laid to rest, he has done enough; its time to let him enter the light.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It you don't have a VRR display then locked 30 FPS with solid frame times is always better than an unlocked framerate that can't consistently hit 60. But if you can hit 60 you should. That's why I'm glad so many games on current gen consoles at least give you the option to choose. Aside from Switch it's barely been an issue this generation. PS4 and Xbox One were underpowered when they released. Using games on those systems is a disingenuous argument

Last edited:

MikeM

Its a dev choice ultimately. I hope the data they have collected in games suggests that 60fps is preferred over 30fps.

I always use higher framerate modes. Currently playing Wonderlands on my LG C1 in 120fps mode even though it pushes res down to 1080p.

I’m going PC once the new cards come out anyways as an insurance policy. I’m done with 30fps in a world of 120hz TVs.

TrueLegend

It you don't have a VRR display then locked 30 FPS with solid frame times is always better than an unlocked framerate that can't consistently hit 60. But if you can hit 60 you should. That's why I'm glad so many games on current gen consoles at least give you the option to choose. Aside from Switch it's barely been an issue this generation. PS4 and Xbox One were underpowered when they released. Using games on those systems is a disingenuous argument
When did i said this about last gen. I am talking about current gen BRO. Modern consoles can hit 60fps anyday, its only a matter of resolution.

GymWolf

Call me when people is not gonna cry if a console cost more than 500 dollars and then we can discuss how having 60 fps for an entire gen with way less graphical sacrifices.

Until then, you are gonna take 30 fps when the gen is really gonna start and you are gonna like it.

Last edited:
At this point it's getting really hard to justify targeting 30fps on the new consoles. For every game that had the option so far 60fps was by far the most appropriate setting.

With that said we have no proper current gen games that were made to target only 30fps made by a top tier studio (we have that Matrix demo I guess and I rather have 60fps or that at 30fps).

Last edited:

yurinka

To focus on 30fps instead of in 60fps allows them to show better visuals.

Better visuals help to sell the game, 60fps on most genres like an open world game not. Most players don't care about having 60fps games on single player open world games / third person action adventures. 60fps are important instead for games that require fast and precise controls like competitive fighting games or fps.

Many current AAA are getting 60fps or even 120fps because they are crossgen games made mostly for the previous gen consoles, so they have room to run faster on the new gen consoles, or which is basically the same: they are next gen only games running on a game engine and specs that are basically from the previous gen. Over time as we see games using game engines focused on next gen that really take advantage of the next gen we'll see increased the amount that goes back to 30fps to again prioritize high end visuals at 30fps over mediocre/average/poor visuals at 60fps.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Nobody really cares that much about 30fps. It's just the knowledge in the back of some heads that 30fps = better graphics. But if the developers ignore telling them about it and just release games at 60fps, these people won't be able to tell. Because, frankly, 99% of people who think they "prefer" 30fps are casuals who don't know better and think "cinematic" is better. They won't even notice if a game is 30 or 60fps most of the time. Well, their eyes will but they won't be able to put their finger on it. They also wouldn't tell if the graphics are bad at 60fps because 60fps games look nearly as good anyway. You can only tell the difference if there's a 30fps "quality version" to compare.

I mean, nobody had a problem with all these great looking 60fps games on PS2/XBOX and Gamecube. Nobody said "i wish Metroid Prime was 30fps so it can have better graphics". Not a single soul.

I don't even understand how this "cinematic fps = better" standard was created. I think developers themselves pushed it for some stupid reason like being able to market the games better because they could produce better still screenshots or something? I know why games fell at 30fps in the PS1/N64 generation (there was not enough processing power for the new 3D standard) but there were more 60fps games in 6th gen machines. Maybe games became too mainstream after that and more casuals = who cares? Devs really dropped the ball in the PS3/360 generation and that stuck till this day.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
When did i said this about last gen. I am talking about current gen BRO. Modern consoles can hit 60fps anyday, its only a matter of resolution.
Who said I was explicitly talking to you? Anyway, HFW is a cross-gen title. The only time you're locked into 30 FPS is if you're on a PS4. The PS5 has a performance mode that's good. The game is not a good example of your 30 FPS must die argument.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I didnt say the game wont have bugs I said 60fps mode would not be suffering from bugs that specifically arise due to 30fps. All games have bugs dude regardless of fps.
Were you not talking about actual bugs (insects) that fly? That's what I showed in the Gears 5 gif. lmao

We are talking about modern games on modern consoles.
So was i but the thing is it all depends on how long developers keep up with performance mode, so far almost 90% of games have released on current and last gen consoles and 90% of them have had the option, all depenss on how long ms and sony keep up with this gen

RoadHazard

Gold Member
60 is easy for cross-gen. Now once games start REALLY taking advantage of the new hardware (the CPUs in particular, which we haven't really seen pushed at all yet), maybe not as easy. Of course it's all about priorities, but some people here seem to believe that the dev can always simply choose 60 if they want to, but in some cases that might not be true. In general, GPU stuff is easy to scale, CPU stuff not so much.

RPSleon

High frame rates make you feel like what youre seeing looks better. The graphical difference in 30 and 60fps modes in demons souls is so insignificant when you realise how much better everything looks when you can actually see it in motion. That game is stunning in 60fps.

Fredrik

Insomniac literally said that vast majority prefers performance mode.
Insomniac also said this:
To back up his arguments, [engine director Mike] Acton has produced interesting data based on a large number of game reviews, which indicates that while there is a clear link between graphics and final score, there is little to no evidence that frame-rate has as much influence. He also polled readers of the Insomniac website, and found that while 16 per cent of respondents were firmly in favour of 60FPS, most are not, with the majority favouring a solid frame-rate that doesn't interfere with the gameplay.
I think 30fps will keep on existing for slower games and I think many gamers will keep on being okay with that.
I only accept it if there is no other way to play the game.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

You will only get to know the brilliance of 60fps once you play it.
But higher graphical fidelity by targeting 30fps is clear as day in trailers so obviously Devs will focus on that.

Good looking game catches more eyeballs than 60fps. Tough I think we have moaned and cried enough that good devs are putting stable fps games out there.

Kuranghi

OP:

High framerate has benefits, high resolution has benefits, pick one and enjoy it.

Uncharted and TLOU at 60fps are the only games I ever thought looked worse in terms of motion, they clearly made all the animations with 30fps in mind so it looks like a soap opera at 60. Gameplay is much better ofc but the cutscenes are a big part of those experiences imo, that's the only time I would employ the cinematic low framerate argument which is hilarious if someone is referring to gameplay. I wish Uncharted had a mode where it switches to 30fps for the cutscenes.

Anyway, you're going to see more and more 30fps only games soon, move to PC to avoid disappointment. Maybe they will have 60fps modes but the res and settings will be crushed or the fps will just be unstable and until VRR works properly on TVs without sacrificing image quality then the latter isn't desirable to me.

hinch7

For action games that requires a lot of focus like Horizon, 60fps and over is for sure my preferable way of playing. But its not a deal breaker.

On the other hand I recently played Guardians of the Galaxy, with Raytracing enabled and that was the preferred way to play. The Raytracing and higher fidelity setting really enhanced the visuals and experience imo. It kinda depends on the game. On PC of course you can run at whatever. Consoles are limited by their fixed hardware so I'm fine with running lower framerates and maxing out visuals depending on the game and genre. If there's an option that takes the best of both, then that's the most ideal and the option I pick, usually.

Also not everyone has a VRR compatible display so relying on that isn't the best idea.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
30fps is only shit when you've experienced the same or a similar game at 60fps (or higher but I found the jump from 60fps to 120hz/144hz etc to be less impressive/useful than the jump from 30fps to 60fps. Funnily enough I was more impressed with general desktop browsing at 165hz rather than gaming at 165hz).

Ever since I tried BOTW at 60fps (regardless of the resolution) via CEMU, I just cannot stand playing it on my Switch. That said, after about 30 minutes I find that my eyes just get used to it and it becomes less annoying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom