• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HFW is proof that 30fps needs to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chastten

Banned
Receipts? I guess I hand out rat asses.
What do you want receipts of? Any electronic store top ten sold TV list is mostly <€500 stuff. Every Steam survey list points out that most people game on years old midrange graphics cards or older laptops. Games that only support 30fps keep selling in the tens of millions.

And people are happy with them, except for a vocal minority on forums like this one.

It's very simple. If the majority of the people actually gave a rats ass, sales figures of electronics and games would reflect that and developers would change their decision. But they don't.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating that 30fps is better or anything. 60fps is obviously better than 30 for those who care. I'm just pointing out that its only a small percentage of people who care.

Lethal01

30fps and wasting resources to get native 4k need to go. With reconstruction techniques just get as close as you can to 4k and keep it 60fps and thats all we need.

I'd prefer we stay at lower resolutions and increase graphical fidelity like in the Matrix Awakens demo than waste that power on higher framerates.

As fantastic as getting at least 60 fps is, when the new gen machines really start to push their boundaries, expect a whooole lot more games going back to 30 fps.

radewagon

So I have been reading comments in the recent Jif article of Epicurious and some dumbass said that most people prefer chunky over smooth to which my response was what a fucking deluded guy. If anything recent flavoring highlights that chunky needs to go.

To please 1 percent of retards like some kind of minority that require protection, is an absurd take on the whole peanut butter development process and creates a myriad of issues of which taste is the tip of the iceberg. The whole thing is that this fetish of multiple textures need to stop and peanut butterers should focus on one smooth texture from start for modern sandwiches. Later they can add chunky texture if they want but focusing on smooth from start gives us flavors like Honey Chipotle which is setup from start for smooth. No more honey, chipotle once you make smooth baseline.

If Skippy focused on smooth from start Maple Bacon would have been a better release on technical standpoint. And then for these 1% retards for which I am of strong opinion that their wishes should not be entertained we can have chunky mode for sake of future preservation. But there is no point in affecting the present experience for future preservation. Also now that Smuckers has Peanut Butter with Jelly Stripes there is absolutely no need for chunky to exist, stripes should be new standard for sandwiches because nearly all breads support grape-striped peanut butter. TLDR: Fuck chunky.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Spotted in the "Similar Threads" section below....

GOIrJcT.png

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

Topher

Gold Member
So I have been reading comments in the recent Jif article of Epicurious and some dumbass said that most people prefer Chuncky over Smooth to which my response was what a fucking deluded guy. If anything recent flavoring highlights that Chuncky needs to go.

To please 1 percent of retards like some kind of minority that require protection, is an absurd take on the whole peanut butter development process and creates a myriad of issues of which taste is the tip of the iceberg. The whole thing is that this fetish of multiple textures need to stop and peanut butterers should focus on one smooth texture from start for modern sandwiches. Later they can add chunky texture if they want but focusing on smooth from start gives us flavors like Honey Chipotle which is setup from start for smooth. No more honey, chipotle once you make smooth baseline.

If Skippy focused on smooth from start maple bacon would have been a better release on technical standpoint. And then for these 1% retards for which I am of strong opinion that their wishes should not be entertained we can have chunky mode for sake of future preservation. But there is no point in affecting the present experience for future preservation. Also now that Smuckers has Peanut Butter with Jelly Stripes there is absolutely no need for chunky to exist, stripes should be new standard for sandwiches because nearly all breads support grape-striped peanut butter. TLDR: Fuck chunky.

Awesome Sam Didier GIF by Jerology

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So I have been reading comments in the recent Jif article of Epicurious and some dumbass said that most people prefer chunky over smooth to which my response was what a fucking deluded guy. If anything recent flavoring highlights that chunky needs to go.

If Skippy focused on smooth from start Maple Bacon would have been a better release on technical standpoint. And then for these 1% retards for which I am of strong opinion that their wishes should not be entertained we can have chunky mode for sake of future preservation. But there is no point in affecting the present experience for future preservation. Also now that Smuckers has Peanut Butter with Jelly Stripes there is absolutely no need for chunky to exist, stripes should be new standard for sandwiches because nearly all breads support grape-striped peanut butter. TLDR: Fuck chunky.
Based Peanut Butter with Jelly Stripes master race bro.

recursive

What do you want receipts of? Any electronic store top ten sold TV list is mostly <€500 stuff. Every Steam survey list points out that most people game on years old midrange graphics cards or older laptops. Games that only support 30fps keep selling in the tens of millions.

And people are happy with them, except for a vocal minority on forums like this one.

It's very simple. If the majority of the people actually gave a rats ass, sales figures of electronics and games would reflect that and developers would change their decision. But they don't.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating that 30fps is better or anything. 60fps is obviously better than 30 for those who care. I'm just pointing out that its only a small percentage of people who care.
None of what you said indicates the majority prefers 30fps over a higher frame rate.

TrueLegend

You clearly are angry. You're calling random people retards just cause they think and like things differently than you.
Bro, I dont get angry at games, gamers, gaming forums, people at gaming forums etc. Its just a way of expression. You have probably not met people who can say fuck that guy while smiling. Its the way gordon ramsay expresses himself. Its not anger, I am just trying to say that it is stupid to die on 30fps hill because 30 fps entered in gaming domain because of imbalanced apu design which allowed for significantly higher gpu power than their cpu counterpart and there is absolutely no reason to let it continue in current day and age even with unreal engine 5 on horizon. We have technology like FSR 2.0. How much better a 4k30 fps games look against a 1440p60 counterpart. The very existence of unreal engine 5 proves otherwise. I love 4k, I play on PC with 4KHDR monitor mainly but Current state of games and game engines simply dont add much at just being 4k at sacrifice of 60fps. If you have heard of TotalBiscuit and his 60fps video you will get that my expression is still very mild. This thread is made in the loving memory of

TrueLegend TrueLegend The race for best graphics is an endless one, and as soon as you think you're reaching the top of that staircase where you'll get the best graphics and 60fps together, you'll find yourself at the bottom of the stairs again.
BadLastEyra-size_restricted.gif

Chastten

Banned
None of what you said indicates the majority prefers 30fps over a higher frame rate.
No, I don't think there are a lot of people who prefer 30 over 60 fps? What I'm saying is that the majority of the people are perfectly happy with 30 and sales figures reflect that.

And no, it's not a matter of not knowing any better either for most people. I mean, I consider myself a pretty enthusiastic gamer since the early 90's. I've been playing games at well over 60 FPS since the late 90's. But I still don't care. 30 is perfectly alright. I can easily switch between 60-120fps on my PC, to 30-60 on my Switch, no problem.

Last edited:
I don’t think there is a single PS5 without a 60 fps mode yet, and you’re still up in arms about it? Dude, get a grip. Also, get a PC.

Swift_Star

Banned
Bro, I dont get angry at games, gamers, gaming forums, people at gaming forums etc. Its just a way of expression. You have probably not met people who can say fuck that guy while smiling. Its the way gordon ramsay expresses himself. Its not anger, I am just trying to say that it is stupid to die on 30fps hill because 30 fps entered in gaming domain because of imbalanced apu design which allowed for significantly higher gpu power than their cpu counterpart and there is absolutely no reason to let it continue in current day and age even with unreal engine 5 on horizon. We have technology like FSR 2.0. How much better a 4k30 fps games look against a 1440p60 counterpart. The very existence of unreal engine 5 proves otherwise. I love 4k, I play on PC with 4KHDR monitor mainly but Current state of games and game engines simply dont add much at just being 4k at sacrifice of 60fps. If you have heard of TotalBiscuit and his 60fps video you will get that my expression is still very mild. This thread is made in the loving memory of

Dude. Nobody cares lol. 30fps is fine and you should learn that people won’t agree with you and that the world doesn’t revolve around you. I’m perfectly fine playing some games at 30fps and I’m not retarded for it.

Salz01

I’m waiting for the 40 fps / quality patch. Having options is nice. Let me decide what I want the game to run at.

TrueLegend

I don’t think there is a single PS5 without a 60 fps mode yet, and you’re still up in arms about it? Dude, get a grip. Also, get a PC.
The whole point is that those 60fps modes are not priority which results in situation like HFW where the mode is suboptimal at launch.

G-Bus

Banned
I was definitely one who didn't really care about the 30 vs 60 fps. Both were fine.

After HFW... Not so sure anymore. I can't go back to 30 in that game.

30fps is cool for marketing, as it allows them to show pretty graphics on the trailer while still having a mode to play the game at 60fps.
Marketing can take their screenshots in photo mode!

30fps mode should be compromised like on ps360 so that they can push graphics like they did back then...

Ezquimacore

Banned
I try to never play at 30fps and thankfully I just bought a 3080. But on pc 30 fps can be smooth as hell thanks to nvidia control panel. So I guess it's a console problem. Hell, I played elden ring at max settings, 4k and 35 fps and it was a beautiful thing.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

So I have been reading comments in the recent fromsoftware article of eurogamer digital foundry and some dumbass said that most people prefer quality over performance version to which my response was what a fucking deluded guy. If anything recent patch of HFW highlights that 30fps needs to go.

To please 1 percent of retards like some kind of minority that require protection, is an absurd take on the whole game development process and creates a myriad of issues of which graphical fidelity is the tip of the iceberg. The whole thing is that this fetish of multiple modes need to stop and developers should focus on one 60 fps mode from start for modern consoles. Later they can add 30,40fps mode if they want but focusing on 60fps from start gives us games like gears 5 which is setup from start for 60fps. No more cloths physics, flying character like bugs once you make 60fps baseline.

If Guerilla focused on 60fps mode from start HFW would have been a better release on technical standpoint. And then for these 1% retards for which I am of strong opinion that their wishes should not be entertained we can have 4k30 fps mode for sake of future preservation. But there is no point in affecting the present experience for future preservation. Also now that PS5 has VRR there is absolutely no need for 30fps to exist, 40fps should be new standard for 4k because nearly all 2.1 hdmi port display support 120hz output. TLDR: Fuck 30fps.
The 1% would be the framerate whores. So I don't know if you want to be calling yourself a retard. Most consoles lack the grunt to 60fps everything. You give up ground graphically, which isn't a winning strategy for most games. As far as computers that can run games in high quality and high fps, you're looking at the exception, not the rule. Hence, why most PC games have such low recommended specs, because the average gamer has a shitty fucking rig. So I think devs should keep doing what they're doing, which is making the best looking game they can at a stable framerate. Most games don't need precision of 60fps, so most games thrive at 30fps.

TrueLegend

I cared because you’re impolite and are insulting people, not because I give a shit about the subject on hand.
And somehow you are polite with "nobody really cares dude". Wow such a polite expression. Not only you are deluded about topic at hand but about politeness too.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So I have been reading comments in the recent fromsoftware article of eurogamer digital foundry and some dumbass said that most people prefer quality over performance version to which my response was what a fucking deluded guy. If anything recent patch of HFW highlights that 30fps needs to go.

To please 1 percent of retards like some kind of minority that require protection, is an absurd take on the whole game development process and creates a myriad of issues of which graphical fidelity is the tip of the iceberg. The whole thing is that this fetish of multiple modes need to stop and developers should focus on one 60 fps mode from start for modern consoles. Later they can add 30,40fps mode if they want but focusing on 60fps from start gives us games like gears 5 which is setup from start for 60fps. No more cloths physics, flying character like bugs once you make 60fps baseline.

If Guerilla focused on 60fps mode from start HFW would have been a better release on technical standpoint. And then for these 1% retards for which I am of strong opinion that their wishes should not be entertained we can have 4k30 fps mode for sake of future preservation. But there is no point in affecting the present experience for future preservation. Also now that PS5 has VRR there is absolutely no need for 30fps to exist, 40fps should be new standard for 4k because nearly all 2.1 hdmi port display support 120hz output. TLDR: Fuck 30fps.
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

TrueLegend

Probably due to being cross-gen, no?
Ratchet and Clank wasn't crossgen. Its just a disease that now we have cure of but a section of people suffer from placebo. Input lag, motion blur all are a myth to them. Meanwhile it hampers developer focus on proper 60fps implementation at launch. I would rather have multiple mode in 60fps in launch like the Spiderman games now have rather than 4k30 leading the charge.

BbMajor7th

Ratchet and Clank wasn't crossgen. Its just a disease that now we have cure of but a section of people suffer from placebo. Input lag, motion blur all are a myth to them. Meanwhile it hampers developer focus on proper 60fps implementation at launch. I would rather have multiple mode in 60fps in launch like the Spiderman games now have rather than 4k30 leading the charge.
Sorry, the post I quoted and the thread both reference HFW as the offender. R&C's 60 FPS mode was cracking as I remember it. I played it in performance mode and it was sublime.

Whitecrow

Banned
What makes you think I can't adapt? Adapt to eat shitty doesn't make the shit less shit.
Then your problem lies elsewhere.
Your age may be?

Slow paced games at 30 fps are fine. And there are a lot of them.

You only call that shit because you think you are entitled to more, but thats not true at all.

HFW is a LAST GEN GAME.

Future games won’t be so easy to run at 60fps, so we’ll be back to 30fps at that point. Instead of 4K taking up all the resources, it will be next gen graphics being too hard to run at 60fps.

Topher

Gold Member
Honestly, I've never understood how people can stand to play games at 30fps, but those people exist. This has been widely discussed here in the past on GAF. They like the boost in fidelity vs increased frames. Not me. Not at all. But disagreements on personal preferences are the reason personalized options exist. I'd no more take away their option to play in quality mode than I'd want them to be able to take away my ability to play at higher frame rates.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Then your problem lies elsewhere.
Your age may be?

Slow paced games at 30 fps are fine. And there are a lot of them.

You only call that shit because you think you are entitled to more, but thats not true at all.
Age maybe. I started gaming on the NES era where almost all games were 60fps. So the downgrades on fps were/are not welcome. Plus added input lag. The more, the worse.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I feel like the logical path for developers is to target 1440p60 or 1080p60 and then use some kind of reconstruction solution if they want to to improve IQ.

Then offer a 4k mode at 30 and/or 40fps for the real graphics whores.

I feel like that makes sense cos it's the minority with very good and big screens who really care about visuals and have the option of VRR or 120hz modes.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The more I think about HFW's peculiar case the more I wonder how much VFX is currently being left on the table in the fidelity mode in pursuit of native 4k. On my oled tv, 30fps looks blurrier than the performance mode EVEN WHEN I'M STANDING STILL since other assets in the scene continue in motion. Imagine how much lighting and other vfx could improve if 1800 CB with the revamped TAA was used for the fidelity mode? Naughty Dog sorta has the right idea with their native 1440p approach, although it would be great if they coupled it with nice reconstruction method as I can detect the IQ deficiencies of a 1440p game with no reconstruction when viewing on my TV.

TL;DR: I want developers to pursue smart choices, not marketing specs.

A.Romero

I mostly game on PC and try to keep my build up to date enough so I can get a good framerate but it's difficult now with 4K. When playing for Cyberpunk I preferred to play with RT and at 4K so the framerate tanked but it was good enough...

However I've been playing the Judgement series recently on PS5 ( I found them cheap). The first one was running 60FPS, didn't check the resolution or anything, after all those games are not really graphics powerhouses. I got used to it running that way and finished it in about 15 hours or so (didn't really care for a lot of the side content). I then played Lost Judgement and by default it went with high resolution. It felt so jarring that I had to switch to 60 FPS and have been playing it that way.

I guess is a game by game basis because I played Spider man with the RT performance mode and was good enough.

Probably have to judge on a game per game basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom