• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HGIG on OLEDs may be a lie, sometimes

MaKTaiL

It's been 6 months since I got my first OLED. C1 to be more precise. I switched to HGIG as soon as I turned on my PS5 and I've been using it ever since. I did all the proper calibration but I wasn't actually seeing any improvements over my previous TV. I decided to switch to DTM a week ago and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I finally see the benefits of HDR and I won't be switching to HGIG ever again.

Many developers seem to be slowly getting the hang of it.

After Requiem, Callisto Protocoll is the next game that implements HGIG optimally. The picture is absolutely on point.

With DTM on, the image generally appears overbright, especially visible in dark areas (basically the whole game, lol).

If this continues, HGIG will become my default setting :goog_love:

Whitecrow

Banned
Im not a fan of DTM either, but tried it a few times.
The general result as Bavarian_Sloth Bavarian_Sloth said, is overbrighten the image.

Some areas are suposed to be dark. Cranking up the brightness just for pop-effect doesnt look like something good to me.
Sometimes, in daylight scenes, the brightness increase can be perceidved as an improvement.

Still, too impredictable, and the most agressive way of deviation from 'creators intent'.

But at the end of the day, options are there for a reason, and as long as someone enjoyes any of them, it's enough.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

It's been 6 months since I got my first OLED. C1 to be more precise. I switched to HGIG as soon as I turned on my PS5 and I've been using it ever since. I did all the proper calibration but I wasn't actually seeing any improvements over my previous TV. I decided to switch to DTM a week ago and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I finally see the benefits of HDR and I won't be switching to HGIG ever again.
The problem isn't really with HGIG but that the majority of OLEDs have too low peak brightness. On a really good LCD, using tone mapping off or HGIG will produce a great result if the game has a good build in tone mapper. But using DTM on an OLED does make a lot of sense due to the lower peak brightness. I'm eagerly awaiting the day we see OLEDs managing 1500-2000 nit with at least 500 or so sustained for full screen.

Killer8

On my C1 I stick to HGIG for 99% of my games and just use someone like Evil Boris's HDR settings. Could it be more accurate / betterer? Sure, but I don't want to waste my life tweaking settings and pursuing absolute perfection in every game. It looks good enough. I'm not going to fuck with my TV settings either on a game by game basis.

The only game I have ever used DTM for is Hitman 3 because HGIG looked far too dim in that game. Developer intent be damned, i'll blow that brightness the fuck out because it looks so much better to me.

Top Bottom